News - June 2014

Monday 30 June - Planning consent for all weather pitch

We are pleased to announce that Rob Morris and his team at Silver Jubilee Park have received planning consent for the all weather pitch. This has been granted by Brent Council without any restrictions.

The surface, which will be FIFA accredited, is manufactured by Playrite and will be constructed by ETC. Works are due to begin soon with a schedule that will last up to nine weeks.

The surface was selected after extensive research and visits to Leeds United who use the surface at their training ground. The investment so far at Silver Jubilee Park (SJP) including the purchasing of the lease and the new surface is over £500,000.

We have full support from the Football Assication and Sport England, with a Stadia Improvement Grant now being offered for other works in order to achieve ground grading. New gates, turnstiles, perimeter fencing, spectator rail, increased terracing and another 120 seats are just some of the requirements for us to be able to stage Ryman League Premier Division football at SJP.

Rob Morris has agreed in principle deals with the following organisations which will secure the long term viability of SJP : Soccer Sixes, Edgware Town, Edgware Youth, Maccabi Masters, Cockfosters FC, Hills Prospect, The FA degree courses teams, JFS School, Brent cup Finals, Robert Southwell School, Excel Sport, Ryan Lavelle dance School, Middx University and there are many more currently in negotiations.

What we have achieved in a short period of time is exciting but there are still many hurdles to overcome before the prospect of a permanent home becomes a reality.

Posted at 21:06

Sunday 29 June - Hendon Green & Gold 15 - Junior Lewis

Today's Green and Gold subject is one of the three men who not only played in the Leyton Orient victory but has also been found every week in the Greens' dugout for the past three years.

Junior Lewis was one of the most passionate players to appear for Hendon in the 1990s. He is also the only man to have played in the top nine tiers of the English football pyramid. Junior played briefly in the Football League in the early 1990s before joining Dover Athletic, managed by Peter Taylor in 1995. After a short spell at Hayes, he joined Hendon, making his debut on 21 September 1996, a 3-1 win, in which he scored the first goal.

Neil Price's team struggled to put together a string of results in the League, but had much more success in the FA Cup - after escaping against Fisher in the second qualifying round. Junior returned to The Crabble in the third qualifying round where a Paul Kelly goal gave Hendon a shock win over Conference club Dover, and played his part in the victory over Hastings Town in the final qualifying round. The 2-0 win in the replay at Claremont Road gave Hendon a tie against former FA Cup winners (albeit 70 years earlier) Cardiff City, where the Bluebirds triumphed 2-0. A few weeks after Price departed, Frank Murphy was appointed and he engineered the Greens' escape form relegation

The following season, Junior and Hendon enjoyed even greater success, once more in the FA Cup. A first round proper tie at home to Leyton Orient attracted great interest and two Colin Simpson equalisers forced a replay at the Matchroom Stadium (Brisbane Road). There, on 25 November 1997, the Hendon management team of the past three seasons, Gary McCann, Freddie Hyatt and Junior, combined for the Greens' winning goal - the decisive cross coming from John-Simon White. It was only Hendon's second ever FA Cup victory over a Football League club, first away from Claremont Road, and the second half was broadcast live on BBC Radio 5 Live, with John Murray commentating. Cardiff ended the Cup run 3-1 in the next round.

But Junior was given a new strike partner straight after the Leyton Orient victory in the shape of Paul Whitmarsh. Simpson left to join Leyton Orient, a transfer that Junior took personally as he considered himself - justifiably, it must be said - a far better footballer. He told some Hendon youngsters in 2008, "When Simpson joined Orient I wasn't jealous, I was angry because I knew I was a better player, but I was even more determined to get back into the Football League. I knew I could play in the League."

Whitmarsh and Lewis formed a lethal partnership in the second half of the 1997-98 season, which culminated in a 13-match unbeaten run, including a thumping 4-1 demolition of Basingstoke Town in the Full Members Cup final at Chesham United's ground. The run of nine wins and two draws to end the campaign saw Hendon finish in fifth place, one of the best placings in a quarter of a century. Junior finished the season with 22 goals in just 41 appearances, and the Greens' stunning end-of-season form immediately made them title favourites for 1998-99.

It must be said that the campaign was more than a little disappointing. There was another FA Cup first round appearance and Junior was nearly a hero again against Notts County when he twice came within inches of scoring in the first game at Claremont Road - the replay, after a postponement, was lost 3-0. The Ryman League form, however, was inconsistent at best, mainly because all the goals scored by Lewis and Whitmarsh were more than cancelled out by less-than-stellar defending. Junior scored 28 goals in 55 appearances, but was eclipsed by his strike-partner who grabbed 42 in 53 appearances. Whitmarsh excepted, only once since 1967-68 - Tony Bass, with 30 in 1972–73 - had a Hendon player scored more than Junior's 28 goals in a season.

That saw the end of Junior's first spell at Hendon as Peter Taylor gave him a chance at Gillingham. All in all, Junior played more than 200 matches for Gillingham, Leicester, Brighton, Swindon, Hull and Brentford. A close of friend of Del Deanus, Junior then played in non league football for Del and Steve Newing at Edgware Town and Welwyn, helping with Del's care when he was diagnosed with MND and arranging fund-raising events.

He returned to Hendon in 2011, mainly on the coaching side, though Junior did pass the 150-appearance mark with eight games off the bench. He announced that he was leaving the club shortly before the end of the 2013-14 season to further his career, and has since been appointed as assistant head coach to Dave Hockaday at Leeds United.

Joined Hendon: As player: September 1996; as player-coach June 2011;

Left Hendon: May 1999 and May 2014

Appearances: 154 (141 starts, 13 substitute)

Goals: 69

Medals won: Isthmian Full Members Cup 1997-98, 1998-99, Middlesex Senior Cup: 1998-99

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Saturday 28 June - Graeme Sewell

It is with sadness that we have learnt of the death of former player Graeme Sewell, who died on 14th June, aged just 54.

Graeme, who was born in May 1960, played for the club between 1978 and 1982, making a total of 51 appearances, scoring 17 goals.

He remained local to the club, living in Childs Hill, and his funeral will take place at Golders Green Crematorium on Thursday 3rd July at 2pm.

Our deepest sympathies go out to his family at this very sad time.

Posted at 19:00

Saturday 28 June - World Cup prediction update

The standings in the World Cup predicition competition after the group stages have been made available.

Leading the way before the knockout rounds begin is Chris Lamb with 77 points, whilst David Coote and Scott Searle are joint second with 71 points. John Long has 68, Wayne Hitchings has 67 and James Furness has 66.

There have been 36 entries to the competition, which has resulted in a donation to the supporters trust of £84, whilst the prize fund is £73.50 for the winner, £31.50 for 2nd place and £21 for 3rd place.

All entrants have until 5pm this afternoon to submit their predictions for the knock out stages, and should have received an email from Paul Butler to that effect.

Posted at 13:27

Thursday 26 June - Hendon Green & Gold 14 - Gary Hand

Today's Green and Gold subject is the man who is second on the appearances table in the Isthmian League era, former player and manager Gary Hand.

Gary Hand left Watford when his apprenticeship ended and joined Hendon at the start of the 1971-72 season. He made his debut in the No.11 shirt for the Greens' second Isthmian League game, away at Loakes Park, Wycombe, where Wanderers triumphed 1-0. Apart from an unused substitute appearance, in the 1-0 win over Walton & Hersham, a week later, that was the last Gary was seen in a first-team shirt until 27 December, when he was in his familiar left-back role for the visit of Enfield. Roy Butler's goal gave Hendon all three points.

From that point on, Gary was almost an ever-present - he missed just one match, the day before the first leg of the Middlesex Senior Cup Final against Hampton. Gary's first season was certainly memorable and he finished it as the owner of winners' medals from the FA Amateur Cup and Middlesex Senior Cup and a London Senior Cup runners-up medal.

Hendon manager John Evans and his successor Jimmy Quail put together one of the most dominant and stingiest defences ever seen in the Isthmian League: John Swannell in goal, behind right-back Tony Jennings, centre-backs Alan Phillips and Peter Deadman and Gary at left-back. The quintet had been together in the Amateur Cup Final victory over Enfield at Wembley and all five made at least 52 appearances the following season as Hendon won the Isthmian League with a record of 34 wins and six draws in 42 matches. The Greens conceded only 18 League goals all season and eight in the 34 games between 22 August and 17 April. Hendon astonishingly did not concede a single League goal from a corner all season, and did not taste defeat until the 39th League game, when runners-up Walton & Hersham won 2-1 at Claremont Road. The Greens' total of 74 points would equate today to 108 with three for win, which came into effect the following season. Gary was selected for the England Amateur international squad, but did not win a cap.

In 1973-74, Hendon enjoyed their best ever FA Cup run, reaching the third round proper. The Greens held Newcastle United to a 1-1 draw at St James’s Park, but lost the replay at Vicarage Road, Watford, 4-0. Gary would, in today's football, not have seen out the replay as his spectacular save gave the Magpies a penalty from which they made it 3-0. As he was being booked, the referee said to Gary, "Good save!" In the League, the departure of Jennings, Phil Fry and Derek Baker, plus terrible fixture congestion brought on by cup success and a multitude of Amateur Cup replays, meant Hendon finished runners-up, two points behind champions Wycombe. And Gary enjoyed more FA Cup success the following season, with Wycombe, having left Claremont Road in the summer of 1974.

It was only a one-year hiatus, however, as Gary was back in green and white in 1975. And he would enjoy further FA Cup glory as Hendon recorded their first-ever victory over a Football League club in the competition, beating Reading 1-0 before succumbing to a late Swindon Town goal in round two. Gary finished the season with the first of three Middlesex Charity Cup winner's medals, to go with his earlier hat-trick of Middlesex Senior successes.

A year later, Gary added a second Charity Cup winner's medal and one from the Isthmian League Cup, as Barking were beaten 1-0 at Earlsmead. Three weeks before the Barking game, Gary had celebrated his first Hendon goal (a chip over 6 feet 8 inches Staines Town goalkeeper Kelvin Hopkins); it came in his 254th first-team appearance - rather making a mockery of the line in the 1972 Amateur Cup Final programme, "watch out for his left foot"!

If one word summed up Gary's Hendon career, consistency would be it. He was close to an ever-present every season from 1975-76 until 1981-82, when the club encountered its first big financial problem. New manager Dave Mawson did things on the cheap and used mainly youngsters, but it didn't work and Gary returned to Hendon in February, in the role as player-manager, assisted by his former boss, Jimmy Quail. Work commitments meant he had to give up after seeing Hendon achieve safety, but he returned in the summer of 1985. It proved to be a most unhappy time in charge as the Greens were bottom of the table when he was relieved of his duties and replaced by Ted Hardy. It wasn't quite the end, however, as Gary returned in the early 2000s, managing the under-18s midweek team and then the reserves.

Joined Hendon: As player: Summer 1971, summer 1975; as player-manager February 1983;

as manager summer 1985

Left Hendon: Summer 1974, summer 1982, summer 1983 and November 1985.

Appearances: 619 (618 starts, 1 substitute)

Goals: 3

Medals won: Isthmian League 1972-73, FA Amateur Cup 1971-72, Barassi Cup (European Amateur Cup-Winners Cup): 1972-73, Isthmian League Cup 1976-77, Middlesex Senior Cup: 1971-72, 1972-73, 1973-74, Middlesex Charity

Posted at 07:00

Wednesday 25 June - Admission for Chesham friendly

Admission prices for the Chesham game next month will be a flat rate of £5 for all those aged 16 and over. Under 16s will be admitted free.

Posted at 10:42

Tuesday 24 June - Home friendly against Chesham

We are pleased to announce that we will be playing Chesham United at Earlsmead in a friendly on Monday 28th July, kicking off at 7:45pm.

This game will be played for the Dave Stanley Memorial Shield - which the two clubs competed for at Chesham in 2010 when a solitary goal from Lubomir Guentchev won the game for us.

Dave Stanley was involved as secretary at both clubs other the years, and we are delighted to be playing for this trophy in his memory once again.

Details of admission prices will be made available in due course.

Posted at 13:00

Tuesday 24 June - New Supporters Assocation website launched

The Supporters Association launched their own website over the weekend. It will focus on the work they do for the club, and includes their own online shop.

The shop is already populated with items that are available, including a number of clearance items, and they are planning to list all the old programmes that are available once they have been catalogued. Last season's programmes are also available priced at £1 each for PDFs.

Also on the site, you can join the Association, find out a little about its history and see what their plans are for next season.

The site can be found via the link below.

Posted at 07:00

Monday 23 June - Hendon Green & Gold 13 - Danny Lakey

The latest in the series focuses on a player who made a big impression during a little more than three years with the Greens, Danny Lakey.

Danny Lakey joined Hendon in the summer of 1964, the Greens' second season in the Isthmian League. Described as a robust winger, he was much more than the typical playmaking wide-man who created goals rather than scoring them. A return of 55 goals from 125 matches would, in the present era, be a more than acceptable total for the leading goalscorer, especially the 30 goals in 49 appearances in 1964-65. There is a strong case to say that Danny was the missing link in the Hendon team, the final key component that turned a very good team into a Championship winner. In his three seasons at Claremont Road, Hendon played in the FA Amateur Cup semi-final each year.

The 1964-65 season was barely under way when Danny made his debut. Hendon had won three and drawn one of the opening four league games, and beaten Leyton in the FA Cup, when Danny played in a 2-2 home draw against Kingstonian, David Hyde grabbing both goals. The crowd at Claremont Road that Tuesday night - 8 September - was 1,861, almost 500 fewer than had watched the local derby against Enfield a week earlier, but still what proved to be Hendon's third-highest in the league that season.

Danny's first Hendon goal came in the win at Hitchin Town a week after his debut. It was the start of a run of scoring nine goals in as many matches - he got a double in the FA Cup defeat of Ford United, but didn’t score in the 3-1 London Challenge Cup victory over Enfield, although he made the second goal. That set up maybe the greatest performance in the club's history, the 4-3 win over Arsenal in the latter competition. After a hat-trick from a young John Radford, Danny reduced the arrears before a Hyde hat-trick won the game for the Greens at Highbury.

If Arsenal's defence couldn't cope with Danny and the Hendon attack, what chance did the Isthmian League or lesser amateur clubs have? The Greens amassed 192 goals in all competitions - scoring everything from nil to nine - and finished with a treble of Middlesex Senior Cup, Isthmian League title and Amateur Cup. The league was won in a play-off against Enfield at Dulwich Hamlet and Danny scored the last goal in a 4-1 win. He was one of five Hendon players to be selected for the Isthmian League representative team during the season.

Hendon couldn't repeat the Amateur Cup success in 1965-66, losing 3-1 to Wealdstone at Wembley, and a large part of the reason for that was the long injury list. In particular, Jimmy Quail suffered a terrible broken leg in the quarter-final victory over Wycombe Wanderers. Danny also caught the injury bug and didn't play between 15 January and 19 April, four days before the Amateur Cup Final, for which he wasn't selected. All-in-all he played in just 28 out of 53 games, but still contributed nine goals.

The crowded end-of-season season schedule saw 10 league games, the Amateur Cup Final, two Middlesex Senior Cup ties - also against Wealdstone - the Wycombe Hospitals Cup and a friendly in 41 days. The title decider came on 3 May when Danny and Hendon couldn't break down the Leytonstone defence and the goalless draw eventually proved enough for the Granleigh Road club to take the title by two points - it was two for a win in those days - so a Hendon win would have left both teams on 60 points.

Although Danny enjoyed much better fitness in 1966067, Hendon were not as strong as they had been in the two previous seasons. Danny missed only a dozen of 57 games and netted 16 times to finish joint-second on the scoring charts with Dave Swain, 14 behind Tony Harding. The Greens finished in fifth place, but the goals for column showed only 64, down from 111 the season before. His absence in the second replay of the Amateur Cup semi-final, a 3-1 loss to Skelmersdale, certainly didn't help Hendon's cause.

All good things must come to an end and it was clear early in the 1967-68 season that Danny was no longer a regular first choice. A move to Kent made playing for Hendon difficult, and he made only three first-team appearances, one of which was a London Challenge Cup tie against West Ham United at Upton Park. The Hammers won 1-0. Danny joined Ramsgate in December 1967, but made one final appearance for Hendon. On 13 April 1969, there was a special challenge match between Hendon of 1968-69 and the all-conquering 1964-65 team. John Swannell and Dave Hogwood were eligible for both squads, but elected to join Danny, now with Maidstone United, in the 1964-65 squad, who won 3-1.

Joined Hendon: Summer 1964

Left Hendon: December 1967

Appearances: 125 (all starts)

Goals: 55

Medals won: Isthmian League 1964-65, FA Amateur Cup 1964-65, Middlesex Senior Cup: 1964-65, 1966-67

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Saturday 21 June - New unique slimming programme

If you or someone you know wishes to get fit and healthy then we have a programme that can help and raise money for the club and Great Ormond Street Hospital at the same time.

The Unique Slimming Programme provides everything you need to achieve the best health you can. It includes:

Weekly Body Composition Assessments : Every week we will give you a print-out that details your weight, body fat, muscle mass and much more. You can chart your progress week-by-week.

Mental Preparation : Without this your chances of success are greatly reduced. We give you techniques to keep you on track to success.

Nutritional Information : We provide tailored information to enable you to make the best choices for you.

Fitness Information : We give a programme tailored to your lifestyle and circumstances.

Optional FREE Fit Classes 5 nights per week.

Incentives : We will create some incentives with you to ensure you stay on track to your targets.

Support : The support will take the form of constantly expanding nutritional advice and recipes, online support from others, incentives, information, raising pounds for every pound you lose and our secret weapon.

Our Secret Weapon : Our secret weapon is an additional element that when used effectively can make all the difference.

Cost to you: FREE.

What have you got to lose?

With every pound (lb of weight) you lose you will raise £'s for Hendon Football Club and Great Ormond Street Hospital. That offers an extra incentive to you in your pursuit of better health.

The opportunity we present you with is the best method of becoming the fitter, healthier YOU. If you take advantage of this opportunity you will change your life.

The programme requires weekly (every other week if travelling distance is an issue) attendance at our centre in Ruislip, Middlesex.

So if you or someone you know could benefit from support in getting fit and healthy please contact John Rice at to register.

Posted at 07:00

Friday 20 June - Admission & Season Ticket prices

We are pleased to announce that match day entrance prices remain unchanged for adults , senior citizens and students for the 2014/15 season.

However, there have been some slight increases in season ticket prices, and admission charges have been reintroduced for under 16s.

Adult matchday admission will be £10, with season tickets priced at £160.

Senior Citizen and Student admission will be £5 on the day, with season tickets priced at £85.

The admission price for under 16s will be just £1, with their season tickets priced at £10.

New season ticket application forms will be available soon, but in the meantime if you would like to apply for one, please contact the club via email on

Posted at 12:56

Friday 20 June - Hendon Green & Gold 12 - Simon Clarke

The latest in the series focuses on another favourite Hendon servant, Simon Clarke.

Few players with 350 appearances have come as close as Simon Clarke did to be out of Hendon before his tally had reached 30. Simon joined the Greens after leaving Kettering Town, then a Conference club, having played three times for West Ham United in the old Second Division (now the Championship). Manager Mick Browne played him in midfield, sometimes on the left, sometimes in the middle, but he was a square peg in a round hole and his intricate control came to nought with his team-mates unable to support him. Throughout 1995-96, Simon was forced into unfamiliar midfield roles and was transfer listed by Mick Browne, then Neil Price, with no takers. Nonetheless, he appeared in all but four matches.

Simon scored 16 goals in his Hendon career, the most important of which came on 15 April 1997 when the Greens were in a desperate battle against relegation. Trailing 1–0 against Aylesbury at Buckingham Road, and lucky still to be in the game, Hendon fought back to equalise, then, in the dying minutes, Simon drilled a shot into the net to give the Greens three vital points. His consistency in a struggling team earned Simon the first of his two Supporters' Association Player-of-the-Year awards, not bad for a player who had been available for transfer early in the season.

Actually, subsequent managers Frank Murphy and Dave Anderson later made him available, so Simon had the unusual experience of being transfer-listed by four different managers at the same club. When Steve Smart was injured in the 1997-98 FA Cup first qualifying round match against Fisher Athletic at Claremont Road, Simon came off the bench and played at left-back. For most of his remaining time at Hendon, the number three shirt was his. He was the only Hendon player to appear in all eight FA Cup competition proper ties in the 1990s, and played his part in the glorious night at Brisbane Road on 25 November 1997 when Gary, Freddie and Junior combined to knock-out Leyton Orient.

Having played in more advanced roles, Simon thrived in Frank Murphy's attacking style and without neglecting his basic defensive duties; he was a dangerous player down the left hand side - often with Junior just in front of him. Another string to Simon's bow was his talent as an emergency goalkeeper; on a number of occasions he had to step into the breach. Goalkeeping was in his blood and a cousin, Mel Capleton, played in the Football League for a number of years. The pair played against each other for the first time in a Full Members Cup tie at Park Lane, Canvey Island. On a rare foray forward, Simon accidentally kicked Capleton, who responded with, "Do you always kick your cousin." Simon looked around, somewhat shocked, as he hadn't noticed he was playing against a family member.

At the end of the season, Hendon won the Full Members Cup with a superb second half show against Basingstoke at Chesham's ground. Twelve months later, after an arduous campaign, the Greens retained the trophy, albeit in more functional style against Worthing at Gander Green Lane, Sutton. There was also Middlesex Senior Cup success.

The 2000-01 season was thoroughly unsatisfactory, mainly due to the bad weather and damage to the Claremont Road pitch. The Greens failed to complete their Ryman League schedule. Simon was the only player to start at least 30 League and 10 cup games, ending on 44 appearances, and he started six of the seven matches played in the final 12 days.

Things were somewhat different under Dave Anderson, but one that didn't change was Simon's level of performance. He collected his second supporters' Player-of-the-Year award, this despite the pressure of long commutes from his Essex base and also took home a Middlesex Senior Cup winners' medal, though only as an unused substitute. He also found himself wearing a number of different shirts, all too often those in the teens, but he saw time at right-back and in the middle of defence.

At the end of the season, the travel became too much for Simon and he left the Club. His love of the club was clear as when Hendon played at Bishops Stortford the following season, he drove to the game, just so he could catch-up with supporters, officials and former team-mates and to return the Supporters Association trophy. Simon came back to Hendon in October 2005, playing for Maldon Town, but he had left the Jam-Makers by the time of the return fixture in April - though the other Simon Clark did play for them at Park Avenue.

Born: 23 September 1971

Joined Hendon: Summer 1995

Left Hendon: Summer 2002

Appearances: 351 (339 starts + 12 as substitute)

Goals: 16

Supporters' Association Player of the Year: 1996-97 and 2001-02.

Medals won: Full Members Cup: 1996-97, 1998-99, Middlesex Senior Cup: 1998-99, 2001-02

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Thursday 19 June - Junior Lewis joins Leeds United

It has been announced this morning that our former coach Junior Lewis has been named as assistant head coach of Leeds United.

Junior, who has spent three years with us on the coaching side on top of his three years as a player in the late 1990s, will be working under former Forest Green Rovers manager Dave Hockaday, who has been named as the new head coach at Elland Road.

Everyone at the club is delighted for Junior, and we all know that he has a lot to offer his new empoyers. We wish Junior every success for the future as he looks to build on on his career on the coaching and management side of the game.

Posted at 12:31

Thursday 19 June - Supporters game on Wednesday

A supporters game has been arranged for this coming Wednesday, 25th June, against Hendon Youth coaches. The game will kick off at 7.00pm and will be played at Silver Jubilee Park.

If any supporters are interested in taking part, please email Eddie Edwards as soon as possible on

Any supporters who fancy watching some live football rather than watching it on tv, are of course welcome to attend the game.

Posted at 08:46

Thursday 19 June - Hendon FC Supporters Team 2014-15

As many of you will be aware, our supporters team have played a handful of games over the past few months.

As a result of this, Nick McMullen has been in contact with the IFA (The Supporters Football League) and the Hendon supporters team will be joining for the coming season.

This is where you come in!

If you are interested in being part of the team, please contact Nick at so that he can begin to collate a list of people.

Home games will be played at Silver Jubilee Park, and the best thing is that every game we play makes money for the club, so the more games we play means more money to keep our club alive.

Footballing ability is not important, just your enthusiasm and willingness to be part of the team. Nick looks forward to hearing from you.

Posted at 07:00

Wednesday 18 June - Hendon Green & Gold 11 - Dave Root

The latest in the series focuses on a Hendon player who gave many years of fine service in the club's tradition of outstanding goalkeepers.

Dave Root joined Hendon from Walthamstow Avenue in the summer of 1986. In the late 1970s, Dave had the misfortune of being the second-best goalkeeper in Barking's youth team - but he was behind Kevin Hitchcock, who went onto enjoy a long career as a full-time professional. Although Kevin was the regular first-team and youth-team keeper, Dave made 16 appearances for Barking in 1982-83 and, by the time he moved with his family to run a guest house in Cornwall in 1985, he had played 97 times for the Blues. Dave turned out a few times for Launceston Town, but returned to London and signed for the Avenue in 1985-86.

Mark Broughton, a Hendon hero in the 1985-86 relegation battle, returned to Derbyshire, so Ted Hardy was looking for a new goalkeeper, and he chose Root. Dave made his debut in a 2-1 defeat at Yeovil. It was the busiest season in the club's history as the first-team played in 76 matches and Dave set a club record, one which will, almost certainly, never be beaten, starting 31 cup ties in the campaign - if Hendon were to win every cup competition they enter next season (including the FA Cup), they would play a total of 33 ties.

Dave had all the attributes to be a goalkeeper, height, speed, agility and safe hands - until he became a courier van driver, he was a chandelier repairer. Hardy and Hendon were happy to ignore his one weakness - he was a very poor kicker - and Dave quickly became a fans' favourite. Although bad games were rare, Dave had a very disappointing AC Delco (Isthmian League) Cup Final, against Bognor Regis Town at Windsor. The Greens lost 3-2 and Root was the scapegoat.

The upshot was that, for the start of the 1987-88 season, John Jacobs was between the sticks; it was a short-lived and unsuccessful experiment - Jacobs' last eight matches saw him concede at least two a game and 20 in total - and at the end of October – albeit after Hardy had resigned to be replaced by his number two Micky Janes - Dave was back in the number one shirt to stay. He played in all but two of the remaining 42 League and cup matches, including the Middlesex Charity Cup Final against Wembley FC at Wembley Stadium. Root's first visit to Wembley had come a few weeks earlier, as a fan, for the FA Trophy final, and he spent much of the afternoon walking around the stadium, open-mouthed in awe at the surroundings.

A strange statistic regarding Dave's career is that in eight seasons (excluding the third of a season he missed in 1986-87) and 442 overall appearances, Dave was never an ever-present, although he did play at least 50 matches in every campaign and missed no more than four league games in each season. This is even more remarkable given the state of flux at the club; managers came and went, budgets were cut regularly and the dressing room door frequently resembled a turnstile. But through all this, Dave was 'Mr Dependable'. Other clubs were very keen to sign him and one prospective buyer walked away when the league's transfer tribunal came up with a valuation far higher than both clubs rated him.

When Victor Green became chairman at the end of 1991, Hendon went on another wild ride, with rapid turnover everywhere at the club - well, everywhere except in the number one shirt. At the season's end, Dave became one of an elite group of Hendon players to be awarded the Supporters Association Player-of-the-Year trophy for the third time - he had won two and four years earlier. The following spring, as a way of persuading him to stay for an eighth season, Dave was awarded a testimonial season – the last Hendon player to be so honoured.

The 1993-94 season started very brightly and ended in chaos despite Hendon picking up silverware at the end of the season, in the Full Members Cup. With a very bleak future - the club's survival was confirmed only 24 hours before new season's start – all but two players on the books in 1993-94 departed, Dave included. He spent a number of years at Kingstonian before joining Boreham Wood. Sadly some fans never forgave him for moving on and publicly vilified him at every opportunity. A loyal club servant - and thoroughly decent bloke - he deserved a much better reaction than that.

Born: 21 April 1961

Joined Hendon: Summer 1986

Left Hendon: Summer 1994

Appearances: 442 (all starts)

Goals: 0

Supporters' Association Player of the Year: 1987-88, 1989-90, 1991-92

Winners' medals: Isthmian League Full Members Cup: 1993-94, Middlesex Charity Cup: 1987-88

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Tuesday 17 June - Hendon FC on Pinterest

The Supporters Association have set up a Pinterest account - where many photos of various events and matches can now be found.

If you have any pictures (and the appropriate permissions) that we can add, please email them to

You can see what is already on the account by clicking the link below which includes photos from the trips to Cardiff and Leyton Orient, sponsored walks and much more.

HFCSA Pinterest

Posted at 07:00

Monday 16 June - League constitution confirmed

The AGM of the Ryman League took place yesterday morning at the Wembley Hilton, and there has been nothing of any major note to report.

The expected constituion has been confirmed, and so our opponents for the new season will be AFC Hornchurch, Billericay Town, Bognor Regis Town, Bury Town, Canvey Island, Dulwich Hamlet, East Thurrock United, Enfield Town, Grays Athletic, Hampton & Richmond Borough, Harrow Borough, Kingstonian, Leatherhead, Leiston, Lewes, Maidstone United, Margate, Metropolitan Police, Peacehaven & Telscombe, Tonbridge Angels, VCD Athletic, Wingate & Finchley and Witham Town.

It has also been announced that if Salisbury City are expelled from Conference South - that division will run a club short, so there will be no further reprieves from relegation this summer.

Apart from ourselves, the only other club in the division who are in a groundshare are Grays Athletic, who will be playing at Aveley again this coming season. There had been suggestions that East Thurrock United would be playing at Tilbury, but it has been confirmed that they will be remaining at Rookery Hill this coming season.

The league announced that the fixtures will be released no later than 17th July, and they are hoping to release them sooner. As always, we will put the fixtures online at our earliest opportunity.

Posted at 12:52

Sunday 15 June - HFCSA Membership Forms

The Supporters Association has been supporting Hendon FC for 80 seasons now and membership forms for the new season are available now.

Adult Membership of the Association costs only £3 per year/ Junior Lambs costs £2 per year.

Membership of the Association provides the following benefits: Members discount on merchandise; Advance exclusive news of new merchandise lines; Exclusive opportunity to pre-order merchandise; Exclusive member opportunity to purchase memorabilia; FREE membership of Travel Club; FREE membership of Supporters Association social society; Exclusive invitation to social events with fellow Hendon fans during the season as well as closed season; Priority advance ticket opportunity to events; Exclusive invitation to the end of season event.

If you can set up an annual standing order it will save us a great deal of time, thus allowing us to spend more time on supporting the club.

Adult Membership Form

Junior Lambs Membership Form

Standing Order Mandate

Posted at 07:00

Saturday 14 June - England memorablia eBay auction

We are delighted to have four items of England memorabilia for auction on eBay, headlined by a shirt signed by Terry Butcher in November 1980.

These items have been kindly donated to us by one of our supporters who worked as a police officer at the games concerned, and the three items of kit come with a signed certificate of authenticity.

As well as the shirt signed by Terry Butcher, we have a programme from the same game against Switzerland which has been signed by the England squad.

Then from a game against the Republic of Ireland we have shorts that were worn by Laurie Cunningham, and socks that were worn by David Johnson.

All items are in excellent condition, and all proceeds from these auctions will go direct to the Supporters Trust.

Please do spread the word to anyone that you think may be interested.

The links for the four items are below.

Signed Terry Butcher England Shirt

Shorts worn by Laurie Cunningham

Socks worn by David Johnson

Signed England v Switzerland programme

Posted at 13:55

Saturday 14 June - Hendon Green & Gold 10 - Roy Butler

The latest in the series focuses on a Hendon player who epitomised 100 per cent effort.

Nothing says more about Roy Butler's contribution to the Hendon cause than the fact that he was named as Supporters' Association Player of the Year in 1978-79, a season during which he went through more than Greenwich Mean Time (in his case five days short of six months) without scoring a single goal. For those who don't know his name or much about him, Roy was a big, bustling striker, an old-fashioned No. 9. Another big plus against his name is his personality and the fact that when he found out that fans - myself included - could not get to Hayes for a Boxing Day game (public transport, i.e. bus and underground connections, were almost non-existent in some parts of London in those days), volunteered to go out of his way to pick them up and took them to Church Road.

What Roy was very good at, however, was soaking up pressure, making a complete nuisance of himself with opposing centre-halves and normally took the main defender out of the equation to deal with him. In 1978-79, this meant that Mick Garrini, a signing from Tring, and a very close friend of Roy's was given the time and space to bang in 19 goals. Despite Roy's goal drought that winter, from 21 October 1978 to 16 April 1979, he did manage to score a total of 10 goals during the season.

Roy's career at Hendon was in two parts, a brief spell as a young man in the great 1971-72 team, and then as a battle-hardened forward in the late 1970s. A signing from Ruislip Manor, where he had represented the Athenians in an inter-league fixture, his debut came in the cauldron of a local derby against Enfield, just after Christmas 1971 - and there were well over 1,000 fans in attendance - a match Hendon won 1-0 thanks to a goal from Roy. He got a run of consecutive games and scored in four of his first five matches for the first team. He ended the season with five goals from 12 appearances, 11 of which were starts - there was only one substitute available in those days. Although Hendon reached three finals that season, he was an unused substitute only in the London Senior Cup defeat against Enfield and thus missed out on winners' medals in the Amateur Cup and Middlesex Senior Cup.

In the summer of 1972, Roy moved on to St Albans City, before moving on to Hayes, where their fans, like those of Hendon, loved his never-say-die attitude and made him their player-of-the-year. In October 1976, Hendon paid Hayes then the princely sum of £1,000 to secure his services and his second debut came in a 101 draw, coincidentally against Enfield, a match which ended in a 1-1 draw, defender Peter Anderson scoring. Roy scored only five goals in 34 appearances, but picked up Isthmian League Cup and Middlesex Charity Cup winners' medals. The following season, Roy missed a quarter of the season, appearing in only 32 Isthmian League fixtures, but 17 out of 20 cup-ties. He won a runners-up medal as Hendon lost to (the old) Hillingdon Borough in the Middlesex Charity Cup Final in May 1978.

In 1978-79, Roy scored in Hendon's first and last fixtures, both in the Middlesex Charity Cup. The opener was on 5 August, in a 3-1 defeat of Finchley in a group match, the last one was on 14 May, the final goal of the season, the third in another 3-1 victory this time over Harrow Borough in the final at Earlsmead.

In his final Hendon campaign, 1979-80, Roy couldn't add to his medal count and again missed a quarter of the league season, appearing only 31 times. He scored nine goals from 46 appearances, but Hendon's league form had been mediocre during the last three seasons, with 13th, ninth and 13th place finishes - never really in relegation danger, but never in the hunt for the title.

After leaving Hendon, Roy went to Boreham Wood, then Slough Town. He moved into management and had some success at Berkhamsted Town. Playing for Hendon is, for many stars, a multi-generational thing, and Roy’s son, Steve, followed in the footsteps of many others (Darren Currie, John Deadman and Roy Drake, to name but three) by wearing the same colours as his father. Steve will be the covered later in the series.

Joined Hendon: 1971-72 and October 1976

Left Hendon: Summer 1972 and Summer 1980

Appearances: 195 (190 starts + 5 as substitute)

Goals: 37

Supporters’ Association Player of the Year: 1978-79

Winners' medals: Isthmian League Cup: 1976-77, Middlesex Charity Cup: 1976-77, 1978-79

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Friday 13 June - Travel club for new season

We are looking to have a travel club for the new season where we can arrange car-shares for both home and away games.

If you are interested, either as a car driver who would be willing to take fellow supporters with you, or if you normally travel by public transport and would prefer to travel with others by car.

This is a win-win situation, as you share the cost of the petrol, share the experience of attending games, and we get more fans to games.

Please email John Rice on if you would like to be part of this. He will need your name, phone number and your postcode.

Posted at 19:00

Friday 13 June - Have you bought Twitter Titters?

If you love Twitter then you will love our two volumes of Twitter Titters. They are filled with some of the funniest tweets you will ever see.

They are only £1.99 each. Excellent value for money and every penny of profit goes to the Association and ultimately the club. They are available on Amazon, but we are hoping to be able to offer additional formats via the new online shop. If you do not have a Kindle you can get 'Kindle for PC' FREE via the link below, which will allow you to read Kindle books on your PC.

Please buy these books, leave a review (reviews help future sales greatly) and spread the word. The more copies sold, the more revenue we generate for the club.

We also have our own page on Amazon. From here you can see the programmes from this season that have been made available digitally. We will be offering the programmes from this season as PDF versions via the new online shop for only £1 each.

Kindle for PC

List of items available for Kindle

Posted at 07:00

Thursday 12 June - Les Vincent

It is with great sadness that we heard this morning of the passing of Les Vincent. He passed away earlier today, peacefully after a long battle with cancer.

Les has been on the Supporters Association committee for many years, and will have been a familiar face to many of us. He could often be found outside the turnstiles before the game selling programmes, and then during the game be heard behind the goal supporting the team.

His son Andrew, and youngest daughter Michelle will be well known to many supporters as they have both also been regulars as they have grown up, and our thoughts are with them, their sister Suzanne, and their mum at this very sad time.

Posted at 09:18

Wednesday 11 June - John Rice Sponsored Slim

Starting on 23 June 2014 lifelong Hendon fat,,,we mean fan John Rice will begin a 3 month sponsored slim. This is in addition to the sponsored slim initiative posted here yesterday.

His target is 40lbs of weight loss. Backed by a nutritional and fitness programme and qualified professional he feels he can achieve that. If you would like to sponsor him for every lb lost please email him at Every £ per lb he can raise will motivate him and offer him incredible support.

Every penny raised will be donated to Hendon Football Club Supporters Association.

He will post pictures, stats and updates to keep people informed of his progress in his new Facebook group - We will post updates here for those who do not use Facebook.

This will help improve his health as well as raise some revenue. Please sponsor him to give him that extra initiative.

Posted at 19:00

Wednesday 11 June - Hendon Green & Gold 9 - Jimmy Quail

The latest in the series focuses on a Hendon legend who, as recently as 2012-13, was an occasional visitor. Thanks to Peter Lush for his assistance with this biography.

Jimmy Quail was one of the finest players to grace the Isthmian League when Hendon entered the competition in 1963. He had already spent 10 years with the Greens - apart from a short spell at Enfield. In modern football, he would probably be either a striker or attacking midfielder, in the mould of Zinedine Zidane.

His family had moved from Bambridge, Northern Ireland before he was old enough for school, living in Harlesden. He wrote to the club in 1953 to ask for a trial and was taken on, but did not become a regular Hendon first-teamer at Claremont Road until 1956.

Jimmy played in the 1960 FA Amateur Cup-winning team, and was rewarded with a place in the British squad for the 1960 Rome Olympic Games, but didn't get a game. He did, however, earn the first of his two Northern Ireland amateur international caps and, in November 1960, also came very close to selection for the full Northern Ireland team. In a scenario that wouldn't have happened today, Jimmy played in an FA Cup replay against Oxford United instead of representing Northern Ireland against Scotland at Hampden Park in a Home Nations Championship match. Quail scored Hendon's second goal in a 3-2 defeat.

After two years at Enfield, Jimmy returned to Claremont Road for the start of the Greens' venture into the Isthmian League - which was now the number one amateur competition in the south of England, and Hendon were among the very best. The Greens finished runners-up behind Wimbledon in 1963-64, but the following season was the greatest in club history.

With Jimmy pulling the strings, Hendon won the League and Amateur Cup. But there was an earlier highlight, in the London FA Challenge Cup, a competition for London Football League clubs and two invited amateur teams - the finalists of the previous season's London Senior Cup. Hendon were drawn away to Arsenal, who filled the team with a number of players who would become household names. Ian Ure, a recent big-money transfer, was at centre-half, Bob Wilson was in goal, Jon Sammels played in midfield and John Radford led the attack. Radford scored a hat-trick, but Danny Lakey and David Hyde, also a hat-trick, ensured Hendon advanced.

Jimmy and Hendon returned to Highbury for the Amateur Cup semi-final, and Quail set up David Hyde for the first goal in a 4-1 Hendon victory over near-neighbours Finchley. On 24 April 1965, Jimmy scored at Wembley in the Greens' 3-1 victory over Whitby Town and, six days later, was in the Hendon team at Champion Hill, Dulwich, as Enfield were crushed 4-1 in the only championship playoff in Isthmian League history.

On 26 February 1966, playing against Wycombe Wanderers in the Amateur Cup quarter-final, Jimmy suffered a double break to his leg. Without Quail, Hendon reached the final but succumbed to Wealdstone. Jimmy did return the following season but, by his own admission, was not the same player. He returned to Enfield for a brief spell, then joined Walton & Hersham, but he retired after one season.

In November 1972, Jimmy was contacted by former Hendon team-mate John Evans, who had managed Hendon to victory in the Amateur and Barassi Cups that year. Evans was leaving to manage in Colombia, and Jimmy was invited to take over as boss. His first game back (Evans remained in charge for a few more weeks) could hardly have been tougher, an FA Cup first round proper tie against Plymouth Argyle. Hendon came within a few seconds of forcing a replay, going down 1-0.

Quail finished what Evans had started, a dominant season, unbeaten in the first 39 Isthmian League games and champions by Easter. The following season saw Hendon's best FA Cup run, reaching the third round proper, where Newcastle won a replay at Vicarage Road after a 1-1 draw at St James’s Park. Eventually the Greens finished runners-up behind Wycombe in the race for the title, after which football lost its amateur-professional distinction, and Hendon slipped out of the elite. Jimmy had already decided to resign at the end of the season because of work commitments.

Jimmy returned to manage the club for 18 months in 1976, leaving at Christmas 1977, and then again in 1982, when he worked with Gary Hand, who was officially the manager. They kept Hendon in the Premier Division, but Gary's work commitments meant he (and Jimmy) left at end of the 1982-83 season. Although Gary returned in 1985, Jimmy has had no involvement with football management since then.

Born: 14 November 1935

Joined Hendon: 1954-55 and 1963-64, two spells as manager, one as assistant manager

Left Hendon: Summer 1983

Appearances: 383 (382 starts, 1 as substitute)

Goals: 174

Winners' medals: FA Amateur Cup: 1959-60 and 1964-65; Athenian League Champions: 1955-56 and 1960-61; Isthmian League Champions: 1964-65 (player) and 1972-73 (manag

Posted at 07:00

Tuesday 10 June - Sponsored Slim

We will be running a free sponsored slim, starting hopefully within the next two months. This is being run by John Rice, who will be participating, and an ex-Hendon player who is a qualified fitness instructor and nutritionist. We believe that the programme is unique and has never been offered in this format anywhere.

It includes : Nutritional Advice, Fitness Advice, Nutritional and Fitness manual, Success Techniques, Ongoing Support, FREE weekly fitness classes (optional) and our secret weapon.

The sponsorship raised will be split 50/50 between the Supporters Association and a charity. So every pound lost will gain pounds for a good cause.

If you or a friend are interested in participating, please email

Posted at 19:00

Tuesday 10 June - YouTube - Fans of Hendon FC

Some of our supporters have got together to set up a YouTube channel called Fans of Hendon FC. The channel has videos going back to the 1960's.

When you visit the site, check out the Playlists link and you will see links to more than 50 videos, with more being added over time.

You can access this visual history of the club by clicking the link below.

Fans of Hendon FC YouTube channel

Posted at 08:58

Sunday 08 June - Hendon Green & Gold 8 - Danny Worley

The latest in the series focuses on a Hendon player who died tragically young but heroically.

It takes a special kind of player to accept a role as substitute week-in week-out. One of those, and probably in the top two 'super subs' in Hendon's history, is Danny Worley. There were many things that made Danny, who was raised in Hendon, a special player, not just the acceptance of his place in the squad. Ask any manager about problems posed an opposing player, and the thing they all find hardest to deal with is exceptional pace. Danny was one of the fastest players ever to appear for the Greens and a succession of managers realised that his speed, against tiring defenders, would be more effective late in a game than from the start.

Danny came to Hendon when youth club Princes Park FC was the club's midweek under-18 squad. It was an exceptional team, led by Steve Newing, with Phil Gridelet also a regular player. Steve was one of the country's top schoolboy footballers, while Phil went on to enjoy a long professional career and remains the last man to earn an England Non-League international cap while a Hendon player. Junior Lewis wore England's No. 10 shirt in a Football Association XI fixture at Soham in the late 1990s, but it was not officially an England match.

Newing was the first of the trio to make his first-team debut, doing so on 1 January 1985. Danny made his bow on 23 March 1985, partnering George Duck in a 2-2 draw away to Tooting & Mitcham United. It was the first of four appearances - all starts - he made in what was a troubled season. Despite the Greens' problems, Danny was never on the losing side in that campaign. The highlight was his magnificent individual performance in a stunning 3-1 victory away to Wycombe Wanderers, denting their title challenge - the Chairboys went up when the top two, Sutton and Worthing, declined promotion - while simultaneously bolstering the Greens in their battle against the drop. He didn't score in the game, but Newing finished off a move created by Danny for the decisive third goal.

Danny brought something different, a joie de vivre and almost naïve attitude, but he was steeped in sportsmanship, something his father demanded. Despite taking serious kickings from a number of defenders neither quick nor smart enough to stop him legitimately, he never retaliated. In the 1985-86 season, he scored Hendon's goal in a 2-1 defeat away to Yeovil Town; in the return at Claremont Road in March, a Glovers defender, once more beaten for pace, slowed Danny down by literally knocking him into the front row of the stand.

The only reason Danny didn't make many more appearances for the Greens was that he was already committed to joining the Royal Air Force and his studies often took priority. In March 1987, Hendon FC Supporters Association made a presentation to Danny on the pitch at Richmond Road after a 1-0 defeat of Kingstonian. He had been an unused substitute on what would have been his final appearance before going to RAF training. Hendon could have done with Danny as the team had a frantic end to the season, which culminated in League and Premier Inter-League Cup final defeats. A player who could make a difference off the bench, he scored the winner the Inter-League Cup last-16 defeat of Dagenham, and there might have been a happier outcome if he had played in the 3-2 League Cup final loss to Bognor Regis Town.

But Danny wasn't actually finished with football or Hendon. The following season, when on leave, he came back to play for the Greens nine times, seven as substitute, but he didn't reach the 10 goal career milestone. His 61st and final appearance, 40th as a substitute, came on 29 March 1988, a win - naturally - 3–0 against Croydon at Claremont Road.

Danny travelled around the world with the RAF and when he entered civilian life, he was married and then moved from Wiltshire to Derbyshire - by coincidence the Commissioner of Derbyshire's Police force was his former Princes Park and Hendon Youth coach, John Newing. On 2 May 2000, with his wife heavily pregnant with their second child, Danny was co-pilot in a Learjet flying Formula One driver David Coulthard to Europe for a Grand Prix. The plane developed problems and crash-landed at Lyon-Satolas Airport in France. The efforts of Danny and the pilot, David Saunders, ensured that the three passengers escaped without serious injury; tragically, however, the cockpit caught fire and Worley, still only 33, and Saunders died.

Born: 1967

Died: 2 May 2000

Joined Hendon: 1984-85

Left Hendon: 1988

Appearances: 61 (21 starts, 40 as substitute)

Goals: 9

Winners' medal: Middlesex Senior Cup 1985-86

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Saturday 07 June - World Cup Prediction Competition

The deadline for entering the World Cup prediction competition is looming, with the first game taking place on Thursday evening.

The competition has been organised by lifelong Hendon fan Paul Butler, and costs just £5 per entry.

60% of the pot will be paid out in prizes, and tehre will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize.

40% of the pot will go direct to Gary's playing budget for the forthcoming season.

Entries must be received before the competition begins on Thursday 12th June.

It is open to anyone over the age of 18, so please spread the word - tell your friends, family and colleagues. The more people who enter, the more you can win, and the more money can be given to Gary for the budget.

To download the form, please click this link.

The full rules of the competition are also on the download, together with details of how to make payment for your entry.

Posted at 07:00

Friday 06 June - From Claremont Road to Memory Lane

We are sure that many of our supporters have stories dating back from your first game until the present day.

Some of those stories will be anecdotal and cause you to smile or laugh out loud when thinking of them. It would be a real shame if those stories were not shared or worse still were lost by not being told. Now you have an opportunity to share those stories and raise money for Hendon FC.

We are in the process of creating an eBook of anecdotes by Hendon fans to generate an income. We need your help. Please can you email any stories you can think of to John Rice at

Anecdotes are universal and therefore more saleable to the football world. When we get enough stories we have every football fan as a potential reader and customer. That is potentially a huge market for us.

So please cast your mind back, reminisce, smile and share your stories. Every singe person has at least one. If every Hendon fan contributed one story we would have an awesome book. If people donate more than one story each then we could have one huge book or even two volumes. So please share one story at least. Stories of between 200-500 words are ideal. Although longer stories would be most welcome.

Posted at 07:00

Thursday 05 June - Bryan and Thomas to move on

Gary McCann spoke to Greensnet this evening and advised that both Michael Bryan and Anthony Thomas were expected to move on.

It has been confirmed tonight that Bryan has signed for Hampton & Richmond Borough, having made 42 appearances and scoring 1 goal for the Greens. Meanwhile, Anthony Thomas is expected to sign for Canvey Island in the next couple of days - his record for the club being 20 goals in 59 appearances.

"Both players have been made very good offers", Gary said earlier this evening. "They go with our very good wishes, and our thanks for all their efforts throughout last season.

"The management team are disappointed to see them both move on, but we have to turn the page and move on."

Everyone at the club joins Gary in wishing them every success for the future.

Posted at 21:43

Thursday 05 June - Trials for under 16 & under 17 sides

We are holding trials this coming Sunday morning for those players who will be eligible to play at under 16 and under 17 levels next season. That is those who will be in years 11 and 12 at school/college in September.

If you are interested in a trial, please be at Silver Jubilee Park, Townsend Lane, Kingsbury at 10.00am ready to play.

Posted at 15:29

Thursday 05 June - Hendon Green & Gold 7 - James Burgess

The latest in the series focuses on a Hendon legend of more recent vintage, James Burgess, whose brother Mark will be featured later.

In modern football, loyalty is almost a dirty word. Breaking the mould were the Burgess twins, Mark and James. On 2 February 2002, James came off the bench to replace Eugene Ofori in the dying moments of a 2–0 FA Trophy replay victory against Cambridge City at Clarence Park, St Albans. At right-back that afternoon was identical twin Mark and all three of James's appearances in that campaign came with Mark also in the team. One had to feel sorry for a rather bemused assistant referee at Hayes when the twins came off the substitutes' bench a minute apart at the end of a 5-1 Hendon victory in the Middlesex Senior Cup. And both played the full 90 minutes when Hendon's interest in the League Cup ended away to Aldershot Town. It turned out to be James's last appearance of the season.

The following season, James became a regular in Dave Anderson's team, amassing a total of 40 appearances - including the Middlesex Senior Cup final when he collected a winner's medal - but in 2003-04 it was Mark who played regularly while James played sporadically.

As well as being identical - more than one supporter has seen one of the twins come out of the dressing room a few seconds after the final whistle and wondered how they could have got changed so quickly. James confided in me that there was an easy way to tell them apart, provided you knew where to look - and the difference was easy to spot even if they were walking down the street together!

It is said that identical twins think alike and act alike - and the Burgess boys proved that argument in their style of play. Both were defenders or midfielders, tough tackling, no nonsense and ready, willing and able to help out team-mates in distress. This, unsurprisingly, got them into trouble with referees and they set an unwanted record when both saw red cards in a 2004-05 FA Cup tie at Stevenage, though one of the red cards was rescinded on appeal. Their combative nature made it difficult for the Hendon management team to have both players on the pitch at the same time, so Mark left during the 2005-06 season.

The twins' similarity went further than playing style, because the way they took penalties was also identical: a 40-yard sprint to the ball and a shot at full power. Feltham's goalkeeper in a 2003 penalty shoot-out screamed at the referee that James was taking two in a row, but the referee shouted "This one is 3, the last one was 2." Mark put his attempt in exactly the same spot, with the bamboozled goalkeeper paralysed with indecision and fear, given the speed of the ball.

Despite their ability from the penalty spot, neither twin was noted for their goalscoring prowess. Mark scored only once, in September 2005, but James had to wait even longer, until he was well past his 30th birthday. Although he wound up with a Hendon career total of three goals - aggregate yardage for the trio being approximately six - the first came in his 231st first-team outing, on 15 October 2008 against Harrow Borough at Northwood. For almost every fan there it was the most memorable of the match. James also scored Hendon's last goal of the League season, a stoppage time consolation at home to Carshalton Athletic. James's third and final goal came in the dying moments of another victory, 3-0 at home to Maidstone United, only this goal was not celebrated by every player - Craig Vargas was left as the only regular outfield player not to score, and Burgess had applied the coup de gras to his goalbound effort.

James proved to be a valuable servant to manager Gary McCann, playing in a variety of positions in all of his first six seasons. He made at least 22 appearances in every campaign from 2004-05 to 2010-11. In 2011-12, James was a peripheral figure and made only two appearances, both memorable. He was a substitute in the FA Cup fourth round qualifying at Luton Town and his final appearance in a green shirt - so far - was at AFC Wimbledon in the memorable 2-1 London Senior Cup semi-final victory over the then Football League newcomers. In 2013-14, James played for Northwood, where Mark is manager.

Born: 8 February 1977

Joined Hendon: 2001-02 season

Left Hendon: September 2012

Appearances: 324 (251 starts, 72 as substitute)

Goals: 3

Winners' medals: Middlesex Senior Cup 2002–03, 2003–04, London Senior Cup 2008–09, Supporters Player of the Year: 2009–10

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 08:58

Wednesday 04 June - 5000 and counting

Greensnet, which began in November 1999, recently posted its 5000th news item to the site. That's nearly one news item per day!

The site is driven by an ever increasing database, which as well as the news items, contains details on over 5400 first team matches, over 1300 reserve and youth team matches, and nearly 2200 players and staff. There are also over 8500 Isthmian League results entered into the database so far, which allow for the league tables to be calculated.

We hope to get some more of the old league tables on to the site during the summer - along with other information that we have come across during the season.

We are aware that the front page hadn't been updated for a number of months. This was due to a technical fault that we have now fixed, and the front page should once again change more often.

As always, we'd like to thank those supporters who find information to be added to the archive, and also provide items to go on the website.

If you do have anything you'd like us to mention, please email us on

Posted at 19:00

Wednesday 04 June - Facebook - Fans of Hendon FC

There are now two groups on Facebook relating to the club.

The original group that you can get to from the front page of the website is still up and running and updated on a regular basis, and has over 550 members.

A second group, Fans of Hendon FC, was set up a few months ago, and now has nearly 200 members.

If you are on Facebook, you can join in this new group where supporters share stories and photos from the illustrious history of our great club.

There is footage and photos going back over the history of the club, including a photo of the 1912 squad..

It is a real stroll down memory lane and conjures up so many memories.

To find the group, just log into Facebook and search for "Fans of Hendon FC", and then under the banner on the right hand side, click on the "Join Group" button

Posted at 07:00

Tuesday 03 June - FA Amateur Cup footage

We have been made aware that video footage of four of our FA Amateur Cup final appearances are now available on the Movietone Newsreel website.

You will need to register to view them, but it is free to do so, and is a painless process.

Once logged in if you just search for "Amateur Cup Final Hendon" all four available finals - 1955, 1960, 1966 and 1972 - will come up. Unfortunately it seems that footage of the 1965 final isn't available.

The link for the Movietone website is below.

Movietone Website

Posted at 19:00

Tuesday 03 June - Quiz Night & Race Night

We would like to thank all those who supported the recent events that have taken place at Silver Jubilee Park.

The End of Season Race Night, organised by the Supporters Association, raised over £1000, and they would particularly like to thank Rob Morris and the team at Silver Jubilee Park for the food, hall and decorations, and also to the players who stayed on for the race night before their own celebrations.

The Quiz Night held back in April, raised over £2500 on an evening that was attended by over 130 people.

Both of these events go to show just what can be done with a little bit of effort. We hope to hold more fundraising events next season. Please do support them if you can.

Posted at 08:57

Monday 02 June - Hendon Green & Gold 6 - Alan Campbell

This legend is a particular hero of our club chairman, so to keep in his good books, he had better be featured sooner rather than later. Alan Campbell was a typical 1970s centre-half, and a very good one.

Signed from Finchley in the summer of 1976, it would be fair to say that he had a lot to learn about defending in the Isthmian League top division. He was blessed with an outstanding central defensive partner in Peter Deadman - more a sweeper than a stopper-centre-half - but one of the best central defenders of his era, having been a good enough footballer to be an international midfielder earlier in his career.

Alan's debut came in a Middlesex Charity Cup tie in August 1976, a 1-1 draw with Wembley, and his league bow followed two weeks later, a 2-0 defeat away to Kingstonian. There was no questioning the 22-year-old's desire, commitment or potential, but he was still very rough around the edges. In November that season, he slid in to score after 50-odd seconds of an FA Cup tie at Waterlooville, a great goal, but tactically, should a centre-half be in that position to score from open play? Sadly the Greens lost 4-1, though they gained revenge in the FA Trophy three months later. The season ended with two pieces of silverware, the Middlesex Charity Cup - in which Alan scored the opening goal of a 2-0 defeat of Uxbridge - and the Isthmian League Cup, where he netted in the last-16 game and semi-final. In that season, Alan scored his best Hendon goal, a magnificent overhead scissors kick away to Slough Town.

More than half of Alan's 31 Hendon goals came in his first two seasons at Claremont Road. He followed his seven - in 54 appearances - in 1976-77 with an astonishing 10 in 59 games the following campaign. In 39 cup ties those two seasons, he scored more than a goal every four matches. Alan's whole-hearted commitment meant he was never an ever-present, indeed only once, in 1977-78, did he play in more than 35 League games. However, amazingly, he was never used as a substitute in his nine seasons with the club.

Financial issues meant that when Dagenham came calling for his services, Hendon couldn't say 'no', so in January 1981, Alan moved to Victoria Road. This was followed by a spell at Barnet, before Ted Hardy and Alan's best friend in football Roger Wade - who will be featured later in this series - persuaded him to return to Hendon in 1986. That 1986-87 season saw Hendon play 75 matches - Alan played in 60 - but there was no silverware at the end of it, just a pair of cup final defeats in the Hitachi (League) and GMAC (Premier Inter-League) competitions.

After scoring 28 goals in his first spell of five seasons, the older and wiser Alan Campbell - he was 32 when he rejoined the Greens - concentrated more on defence and managed only two goals in 127 appearances in his three years back with Hendon. The highlight of this second spell with the Greens came on 2 June 1988, when he was in the team which beat Wembley 2-0 in the Russell Grant Middlesex Charity Cup final, watched by more than 3,000 fans at Wembley Stadium. After a fantastic start to the 1988-89 season, fuelled by the prolific Iain Dowie, things disintegrated following his departure and Alan followed him out of Claremont Road in March 1989.

However, it was not quite the end, as manager Gwyn Walters brought Alan back in November 1991. Hendon's financial woes came to a head, resolved by the takeover by Victor Green a few weeks later and it was Mr Green who dismissed Walters and appointed Barrie Williams manager, with Alan as his assistant. That was cue for Alan to hang up his boots - he was 38 - but this spell ended in January when he asked to leave - although Mr Green announced he was leaving because of his impending wedding. It was an unfortunate end to a career that was certainly among the very best at Hendon in the past 35 years.

Born: 10 December 1953

Joined Hendon: Summer 1976, returned in Summer 1986, and in November 1991; (appointed assistant manager summer 1992)

Left Hendon: January 1981, March 1989, (left as assistant manager January 1993)

Appearances: 395 (all starts)

Goals: 31

Winners' medals: Isthmian League Cup 1976-77, Middlesex Charity Cup 1976-77, 1978-79, 1988-89

Posted at 19:00

Monday 02 June - Farnborough friendly arranged

We will make the trip to Hampshire to play away to Farnborough on Monday 4th August, kick off at 7:45pm.

This game will have restricted entry, and we will have more details on this much nearer the time.

Posted at 16:16

Monday 02 June - World Cup Prediction Competition

The deadline for entering the World Cup prediction competition is looming, with the first games taking place in just 10 days time.

The competition has been organised by lifelong Hendon fan Paul Butler, and costs just £5 per entry.

60% of the pot will be paid out in prizes, and tehre will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize.

40% of the pot will go direct to Gary's playing budget for the forthcoming season.

Entries must be received before the competition begins on Thursday 12th June.

It is open to anyone over the age of 18, so please spread the word - tell your friends, family and colleagues. The more people who enter, the more you can win, and the more money can be given to Gary for the budget.

To download the form, please click this link.

The full rules of the competition are also on the download, together with details of how to make payment for your entry.

Posted at 09:14