News - April 2003

Tuesday 29 April - Ofori strike enough for Greens

A goal from Eugene Ofori after 84 minutes was enough to earn three more points for the Greens at Kingstonian and move them back into 3rd place in the table. Hendon had far the better chances throughout the game, Ofori hitting the bar in the first half and Paul Yates doing the same in the second. Ofori forced K's keeper Adrian Jones into an excellent save during the second half, but at the other end Gary McCann had a comfortable evening, only having to deal with a couple of shots on target. Hendon now require just two points from their last two games to make certain of a third place finish.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 28 April - Last away game tomorrow

Tomorrow evening sees the Greens make their last away trip of the season as they travel to Kingstonian. Kick off at Kingsmeadow is 7.45pm. A win for the Greens would see them move back into third place ahead of St Albans City, while the K's who currently lie 10th in the table lie 4 points behind Bedford who are a place above in the table. Kingstonian have won just 2 of their last 10 games, and lost 1-0 at Aylesbury United on Saturday afternoon having beaten the same opponents by the same scoreline on Thursday evening. It would be great to see a good turnout at the teams last away game of the season.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 26 April - Hendon outclassed by champions

Hendon were eventually outclassed by the new Ryman League champions Aldershot Town this afternoon losing 6-2. However after an hour Hendon were on top having just gone 2-1 ahead. The Shots took the lead in the 20th minute when Paul Buckle bundled the ball home, but Hendon battled back well and deservedly equalised in first half injury time when Ricci Crace beat Jason Cousins to the ball and managed to poke it past Nikki Bull in the Aldershot goal. Hendon took the lead shortly before the hour when Eugene Ofori beat Dominic Sterling and crossed the ball to Ricci Crace at the far post, who knocked the ball to Paul Towler who managed to bundle the ball just over the line. There was a question as to whether the ball had totally crossed the line, but the assistant referee awarded the goal.

However, this sparked Aldershot into life, who showed their real class as they scored 5 goals in the last 21 minutes. The first came when Roscoe D'Sane headed the ball just over the line before it was headed clear, Lee Holsgrove made it 3-2 within a couple of minutes as he headed the ball home from a corner. In the 76th minute a foul was committed in the penalty area, and Shots keeper Nikki Bull stepped up to convert the spot kick. Two minutes later Aaron McLean scored the goal of the game with an unstoppable strike, and with four minutes to goal the scoring was completed by Stafford Browne.

It must be said that Aldershot are the best side we have faced this season, solid in defence, we were the first side to score twice in the league at the Recreation Ground since Boxing Day, and the major difference up front was the quality of their finishing. However, Hendon do have a chance of rapid revenge when Aldershot visit Claremont Road on Thursday evening.

Posted at 19:00

Friday 25 April - Copthall meeting with Ivor

Around 30-40 supporters attended the meeting to discuss the move to Copthall with Chairman Ivor Arbiter last night. Ivor informed the meeting of the position of the club in respect of the Arbiter Group, and the state of negotiations over the propsed move. Negotiations are in hand with Barnet Council and Shaftesbury Harriers.

Ivor said that the current plan was to refurbish Copthall with a view to moving for the start of the 2004/05 season. The refurbishments would include the pitch and the dressing rooms. The stadium already has an excellent 800 seater cantilever stand which offers an unobstructed view of the pitch. This would mean that we would be able to attract better friendlies, and enable us to build on the excellent season we have been enjoying over the past few months, improving our image in the process. The club are looking to attract local businessmen to the club with a view to getting them involved in the grassroots of the game we all enjoy.

A number of questions were raised by the supporters and answered honestly by Ivor. The meeting accepted that the move was necessary, and the atmosphere seemed to be positive about the current situation.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 25 April - Greens travel to league champions

Hendon travel to Hampshire tomorrow afternoon to face the newly crowned league champions Aldershot Town for the first time this season and will be hoping to come away with three points on the day that the Shots are presented with the trophy. Aldershot are unbeaten in their last 7 league games and have lost just once in their last 18, conceding just 6 goals in that time. However, Hendon will be keen to keep up their excellent away record which has seen them lose just twice away from home in over a year. Kick off at the Recreation Ground is at 3.00pm, and there has been no news of any segregation but away supporters are advised to use the turnstiles on Redan Hill.

Posted at 09:45

Friday 25 April - End of season presentation dinner

The annual end of season presentation dinner will take place on Friday 9th May in the banqueting suite. Tickets are available from the club shop at £15 each and the price includes a three course meal and a cabaret that includes an ABBA tribute band. It is always a very enjoyable night so please buy a ticket and come along

Posted at 09:30

Wednesday 23 April - Dons slay Saints

Hendon moved into third place in the league this evening courtesy of a 4-1 win at St Albans City. The Dons took the lead in the 16th minute when Steve Butler buried a rebound after Ricci Crace had hit the post. The Saints replied almost immediately when Simon Martin capitalised on a loose ball to score. Hendon took control of the game in the second half and regained the lead in the 53rd minute when Crace fired home after Paul Towler had won the ball in the penalty area. Half an hour later Crace was brought down in the area by Rob Kean and the penalty was scored by Dale Binns who sent former Hendon keeper Richard Wilmot the wrong way. The final goal came four minutes later when Martin Randall fired home a free kick from 20 yards after Crace was fouled by Dominic Naylor, who was sent off for his efforts as he was the last defender.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 23 April - It's Feltham in a fortnight

Our opponents in the George Ruffell Memorial Trophy on Monday 5th May will be Feltham who surprisingly beat Northwood 2-0 at Harrow Borough this evening in the Middlesex Charity Cup Final.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 23 April - Greens have chance to go third

Hendon have a chance to go third in the table this evening if they beat St Albans City at Clarence Park. St Albans have lost their last 3 games, including a 6-1 defeat at Canvey Island and a 5-1 defeat at Aldershot Town, so the Saints will be looking to return to winning ways while Hendon will be wanting to revenge the 2-0 defeat at Claremont Road earlier this season. Kick off at Clarence Park is at 7.45pm, and as usual it would be great to see as many supporters make the journey to get behind the team as possible.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 22 April - Additional fixture

As a consequence of winning the final last night, the first team now have an additional fixture at the end of the season. On Monday 5th May we shall face the winners of the Middlesex Charity Cup final, which is between Northwood and Feltham tomorrow evening, in the George Ruffell Memorial Trophy. Supporters will remember that we won this trophy at the beginning of this season when we beat Enfield Town 1-0. The game will be taking place at Uxbridge FC and we are awaiting confirmation of the kick off time.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 21 April - Greens retain County Cup

Hendon retained the Middlesex Senior Cup this evening, becoming the first club to do so for 22 years, as they comfortably beat Enfield Town 2-0. After two early misses from Ricci Crace and Eugene Ofori, Hendon took the lead in the 19th minute when Ricci Crace, who was looking suspiciously offside, headed home a cross from Dale Binns. The lead was doubled a quarter of an hour later when Eugene Ofori headed an excellent cross from James Burgess past the despairing dive of Andy Hall. Hendon were more than comfortable for the rest of the game, and with more clinical finishing could have extended their lead. The win means that Hendon have now won the competition 14 times, equalling the record number of wins held by Enfield.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 21 April - Football fun day

The club are hosting a football fun day on Sunday 4th May. The fun starts at 12.00pm when the Under 17's face Omonia B. If they win the game they will win the league title. At 2.00pm there will be a game for Under 12 supporters, and at 2.30pm there will be a game for Under 16 supporters. The highlight of the afternoon is at 3.00pm when the first team will play a team of supporters. Any supporters wishing to take part should put their name down in the club shop at one of the remaining home games. There will be a number of sideshows available during the day, along with a Beer Tent, and the club shop and tea bar are expected to be open.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 21 April - Girls football training sessions

Our new Hendon girls football development team are starting training sessions for girls aged 8-16 years. The will be held every Tuesday evening at Edson Sports Centre, Pavilion Way, Edgware between 6.30pm and 7.30pm and the cost per session is just £2. All the sessions will be delivered by a female FA qualified coach. If any girls are interested in signing up, please contact the girls football development officer on 07941 396964 or sending an e-mail to for more details.

Posted at 09:45

Monday 21 April - Under 17's reach semis

The Under 17's reached the semi finals of the Supplementary Cup yesterday as they overcame Omonia B 7-4. Ade Orenaike scored 4 goals and Ryan Nelson scored twice after Ben Bouchnak had opened the scoring. Three of the goals from Orenaike came in the last five minutes.

Posted at 09:30

Sunday 20 April - It's cup final time!

Tomorrow evening sees Hendon aim to retain the Middlesex Senior Cup as they face Enfield Town in the final. The game takes place at Northwood FC and kicks off at 7.30pm. As supporters will know Enfield Town were only formed in June 2001, and we have played them twice winning 1-0 on both occasions at Claremont Road. Last season the win came in the semi finals of the same competition, while at the start of this season a goal from Martin Randall saw the Greens win the George Ruffell Memorial Trophy. Your support as always is very important, and hopefully you can act as a twelfth man to inspire the players to victory.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 19 April - Improved Hendon earn three points

A much improved performance saw Hendon earn three points and complete the double over Basingstoke Town courtesy of a 2-1 win at Claremont Road. On a very hard bumpy pitch and with a swirling wind neither team was able to really get control of the game until the 40th minute when Eugene Ofori hit an overhead shot which visiting keeper Scott Tarr could only help into the roof of the net. Basingstoke equalised midway through the second half when Craig McAllister took advantage of a slip in the Hendon defence to finish clinically. The winner came in the 77th minute when Ricci Crace won the ball following a lack of communication between Tarr and Steve Hemmings and chipped the keeper from the edge of the penalty area. Dale Binns had a good chance to score a third late in the game, but Tarr made a good save. Mention should be made of Gary McCann who made some excellent stops in the Hendon goal to keep the Greens in front. The result moves Hendon into fourth place, just one point behind third placed St Albans City, who lost 5-1 at Aldershot this afternoon.

Posted at 18:00

Friday 18 April - Hendon look to improve form

Hendon will be looking to improve their form tomorrow afternoon after a couple of disappointing results this week. The visitors to Claremont Road are Basingstoke Town, who lie just one point and one place behind the Greens, although they have played two games more. Last Saturday they beat Ford United 3-0 and will be a tough test for the Greens. Just before Christmas, Hendon won the game at the Camrose 2-0 courtesy of an own goal and a strike from Eugene Ofori. As usual it would be great to see as many supporters as possible getting behind the team, and hopefully we can move into the Cup Final on Monday on a high note and full of confidence.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 18 April - Ladies team to return to Hendon

Supporters will remember that the club had a ladies team a few years ago, who then went their own way. It has been agreed that they will rejoin us for next season. More details will come in due course, and a section will be set up on the website to carry all their news, fixtures and results.

Posted at 09:45

Tuesday 15 April - Stortford complete double over Greens

Bishop's Stortford completed the double over the Greens tonight with a 4-1 win which was their 7th victory in seven games. The home side were the better side throughout and took the lead in the 16th minute when Glen Southam rifled an unstoppable 25 yard drive into the top corner of the net. The best first half chance fell to Martin Randall who put the ball well wide in the second minute when he had time to control the ball and slide it home. Stortford extended the lead when Rob Gould headed home a cross from the left in the 62nd minute before Hendon pulled a goal back with 15 minutes to go when Jack Midson fired the ball home from 6 yards. However shortly afterwards Stortford were awarded a penalty for handball, and Dave Rainford stepped up and put the ball just inside the post, with David Hook having been sent the wrong way. With five minutes to go Tim Langer hit another unstoppable shot past Hook to complete the scoring. One bright note was the comeback of Steve Butler as a second half substitute.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 15 April - Hendon go looking for revenge

Hendon will be looking for revenge this evening as they travel to Bishop's Stortford in another Ryman League fixture. Stortford won 3-0 at Claremont Road a few weeks ago, with former Arsenal striker Christopher Wreh scoring the final goal. Hendon will also be looking to bounce back after the poor showing at Hitchin on Saturday. Bishop's Stortford moved grounds a few years ago, and this is our first visit to their new stadium. The game kicks off at Woodside Park at 7.45pm.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 14 April - Date for meeting with Ivor

The meeting with club chairman Ivor Arbiter to discuss the move to Copthall will take place at 8.00pm on Thursday, 24th April in the clubhouse. The meeting will be open only to Hendon supporters.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 14 April - Under 15's are champions

Hendon Under-15s completed a magnificent season by claiming the Harrow Youth League Division 1 title with a 2-0 victory over Hampstead at Claremont Road on Sunday morning. It was real title decider, with Hampstead the only team able to deny Mark Crawford's boys the championship. It was a game of few chances, but Hendon had the better ones. Indeed, the Greens' defence was so good that Siki Kambila did not face a single shot on target. Mo Liban fired a magnificent 30-yard shot that cannoned off both posts before bouncing away to safety. In the second half, Hendon upped a gear and they got their due reward in the 63rd minute, but Mohammad Hasan scored. Eight minutes from time, the game and the title were sealed when Hasan grabbed his second. After winning their division as Under-13s, this is their second championship in 3 years. "I am so pleased for the boys today. We have played better going forward, but our defence was magnificent. All 14 players deserve a mention today, Siki Kambila, John Conway, Kevin Egan, Jackson Ellis, Jay Wildman, Tony Graham, Mohammad Hasan, Admir Meha, Steve Hogan, Mo Liban, David Ganash, Stephan Chambers, Sunny Malli and Jake Brennan

Posted at 13:45

Monday 14 April - Under 17 and 16 round up

The Under 17's had a good day yesterday, winning 4-2 at Parkfield in the Supplementary Cup. Ryan Nelson scored twice, with the other goals coming from Lloyd Barzey and Ade Orenaike. The Under 16's played 3 games in 24 hours. On Saturday afternoon they lost 6-2 to league leaders Brunswick, the goals coming from Junior Jimbah and Aaron McLeish. On Sunday morning they drew the first game of a double header 2-2 with Belmont United thanks to strikes from Simon Johnson & McLeish, and they won the second game 3-2 courtesy of a Johnson brace and a goal from Lennard Pasch.

Posted at 13:30

Monday 14 April - Reserves relegated

The reserves battle against relegation came to an end on Saturday afternoon when they lost 2-0 at home to Wingate & Finchley, meaning that it is mathematically impossible for them to stay up.

Posted at 13:00

Saturday 12 April - Cooper saes lethargic Hendon

Mark Cooper was the hero for Hendon as he scored a late equaliser to rescue a point against 9 man Hitchin Town. The first incident came in the 11th minute when Hitchin defender James Ayres was sent off after bringing Ricci Crace down just outside the penalty area after Crace had broken clear on goal. Nothing came of the resulting freekick, but two minutes later Hendon took the lead when Lee Endersby fired the ball home. Just before the half hour mark, Hitchin scored twice inside a minute. A Hitchin attacker was brought down in the penalty area, and Dean Brennan scored from the spot. Just a minute later the Hendon defence went missing as Carl Drew broke clear to score. A few minutes later Drew became a villain for the home side when he was sent off for violent conduct after striking Ricardo Alves in the face as the two players tussled for the ball at the side of the pitch, Hendon had been awarded a freekick and Alves had gone to retrieve the ball. Despite the two man advantage Hendon became very lethargic in the second half showing very little creativity despite having the lions share of the possession, and there was much relief among the travelling support when Cooper popped up to slide the ball into the net after a goalmouth scramble.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 12 April - Alves signs contract

At the meet the manager evening on Thursday night, Dave Anderson announced that Brazilian midfielder Ricardo Alves had signed a contract with the club which keeps him at the club until May 2004, with an option to extend the contract for a further season, following a string of good performances since joining the club earlier this year.

Posted at 18:00

Friday 11 April - Trip to Hitchin this weekend

After a much deserved few days away from playing games, the first team travel to Hitchin Town tomorrow afternoon looking to return to winning ways after the disappointing defeat to Purfleet last weekend. Hitchin have been in reasonable form of late, but slipped to a disappointing 3-1 defeat at Heybridge Swifts on Saturday and currently lie in 16th place, 7 points clear of the relegation zone. As usual it would be great to see as many supporters make the trip up the A1 as possible. For those who are unable to make the trip, the reserves are at home to Wingate & Finchley, a game they must win to have any chance of staving off relegation. Steve Butler is expected to play for the reserves as he continues his rehabilitation from injury, and kick off for both games is at 3.00pm.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 11 April - Under 15 Championship decider

The Under 15's are playing what should be a Championship decider on Sunday morning at Claremont Road. They will be playing Hampstead, who are 2 points behind them with a game in hand, the Under 15's being top of the table at the moment. A win will guarantee the Championship. If any supporters would like to pop down and support our youngsters, kick off is at 10.30am, and there is no entrance charge.

Posted at 09:45

Friday 11 April - Supporters v Players

There will be a supporters v players match taking place on Sunday 4th May at Claremont Road. Anyone who is interested in playing should see one of the supporters association committee to put their name down and they will be guaranteed a game as multiple substitutions will be allowed.

Posted at 09:30

Friday 11 April - Supporters meeting with Ivor

Chairman Ivor Arbiter has agreed to meet with supporters sometime in the next few weeks to talk about the move to Copthall. He is aware that supporters have a number of questions and concerns about the move and invites all Hendon supporters to come along to the meeting. The date of the meeting will be announced within the next few days. This will be your chance as supporters to ask Ivor those questions that you have wanted to ask since news of the move came out

Posted at 09:15

Thursday 10 April - Come and meet Dave tonight

This evening sees the first meet the manager evening of 2003. Dave Anderson has invited all Hendon supporters to come along and chat about the season so far, and about his thoughts for the future. It would be nice to see a full house in the bar listening to what Dave has to say. This is your chance as supporters of the club to ask those questions you have wanted to ask during the season.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 05 April - Bogey side win again

Hendon continued their long term poor form against Purfleet, going down again to the Essex side at Claremont Road, this time the score being 2-1. It took just two minutes for the away side to score, Kris Lee breaking finding himself free for a shot on goal. However, the Greens - who had the bulk of the play for the game - worked hard to equalise, and it paid off in the eighteenth minute, when a corner was won. The keeper flapped a flick-on from the set-piece out to Ricci Crace who took the chance and stabbed the ball home. However, despite the Greens efforts to take the lead, Steve Pashley rose unmarked at a corner and headed home in the second half. The Dons still refused to give up, and were nearly rewarded near the end, but two good penalty shouts were both turned down.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 04 April - Yet another game tomorrow

After tomorrow's game against Purfleet, the players will have a much deserved break for a few days having played 7 games in 15 days. Purfleet, like last night's opponents Billericay Town, are in a poor run of form, winning just 2 of their last 12 league games, which has seen them slip down the table to 8th, having been in the top four or five for much of the season. They have drawn a lot of games on their travels, 9 of the 19 they have played, winning just four others. The support over the past few games has been absolutely superb, so once again lets have as many people as possible making as much noise as possible and hopefully cheering the team onto another three points.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 03 April - Cooper fires home late winner

Hendon beat Billericay Town 2-1 tonight courtesy of a goal from Mark Cooper just seconds before the final whistle meaning that the Greens have taken 10 points from their last 4 games in just 8 days. Billericay had taken the lead in the 29th minute when Stuart Merritt broke clear on the right and fired the ball past David Hook. Hendon hit back just two minutes later when Ricardo Alves hit a shot that eluded visiting keeper Jerome John and bounced into the net. The result takes the Greens four points clear of fifth placed Hayes and just five points behind Canvey Island and St Albans City.

Posted at 23:00

Thursday 03 April - Billericay visit tonight

The games continue to come thick and fast as we entertain Billericay Town tonight at Claremont Road, kick off is 7.45pm. Billericay have only won one of their last eleven league games, drawing three others, and despite having a good defensive record they have struggled to score goals this season, finding the net only 39 times in 38 games. There have been budget cutbacks at New Lodge, and the team lining up against us tonight is not likely to bear much resemblance to the one that we drew 0-0 with at the beginning of the season. As usual, we would love to see as many supporters there as possible getting behind the team like you all did on Tuesday night.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 03 April - Meet the manager evening

There will be a meet the manager evening next Thursday, 10th April in the clubhouse at 8.00pm when supporters will have a chance to put their questions to Dave Anderson, and discuss what has gone on this season, and about his plans for the future. It is important that as many supporters as possible come along to what is always a very interesting and informal evening, so that Dave's time isn't wasted.

Posted at 09:45

Wednesday 02 April - Reserves live to fight another day

There is still hope for the reserves, especially after they came from behind to beat Corinthian-Casuals last night. Simon Huggett gave Hendon an early lead from the penalty spot, but the same player then conceded a spot-kick, from which Casuals equalised. They then took the lead and turned around with a narrow advantage. It didn't last very long as Hendon equalised through Patou Wemboloua, one of a number of 17-year-olds in the squad. Another one, substitute Ade Orenaike scored Hendon's winner with only his second touch after coming on. On Saturday, Hendon's scorers in the home defeat against Thame United were Simon Huggett with a penalty and Sam Byfield. Leading 2-0 at half-time a couple of dreadful refereeing decisions went Thame's way and they went on to win 3-2.

Posted at 18:00

Wednesday 02 April - Good news for Haworth

Striker Rob Haworth also had some good news in the last week. He was badly injured at Braintree on 15 March, but he hopes to be out of plaster around Easter and will spend the summer rehabilitating. His target is to be ready for preseason training in July. "My bones have gone back and it is a clean fracture," he said. "The doctor said it is a clean break. My ligaments are badly damaged, and I know the rehab is going to be very hard."

Posted at 17:45

Wednesday 02 April - Update on Kieran

The news on Kieran Gallagher is better. The midfielder was rushed to Barnet General Hospital on Friday morning and was diagnosed with viral meningitis. He was visited on Tuesday by Rob Haworth and Steve Butler, who reported that he was making good progress and was hoping to be released from hospital within a few days. It is, however, very unlikely that he will play again this season.

Posted at 17:30

Tuesday 01 April - Greens avenge cup defeat

Hendon finished on top in their series of three mid-week fixtures with Canvey Island, running out 1-0 winners over the title challengers at Claremont Road this evening. The Islanders stuggled in front of goal, failing to hit the target barring one shot off the post in the 90 minutes. The Greens, meanwhile, fared little better in the first half, and in all honesty only played at their best in the final few minutes, with Crace at the centre of it all. Danny Potter was forced to pull off a top quality save from a Ricci Crace header just a few minutes before Crace found the target to put the home side ahead. On 90 minutes, the striker was played clear down the right, and homed in on goal, sliding the ball under Potter. Crace then had a further chance in stoppage time, but failed to convert it.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 01 April - Reserves are not relegated

We were a bit hasty in relegating the reserves yesterday! In fact they are currently 11 points from safety, with 15 points still available to them. Tonight they travel to fellow relegation battlers Corinthian Casuals in what is a must win game if they want to hold any hope of survival.

Posted at 22:45

Tuesday 01 April - Final part of Canvey trilogy tonight

Tonight sees the third game in 15 days against Canvey Island, this time in the league. The three games between the two clubs so far this season have all been highly entertaining, so hopefully we will see another one tonight. Canvey won 2-1 at Harrow Borough on Saturday courtesy of a late Ollie Berquez goal to move back to second place in the league, and just 3 points behind leaders Aldershot Town. Kick off at Claremont Road tonight is at 7.45pm, and as usual it would be great to see and hear as many supporters as possible getting behind the team

Posted at 10:00