News - April 2002

Monday 29 April - Fine end to Greens' season

Hendon's season ended with the Greens in 8th place in the Ryman League Premier Division table. They were, however, one of the Division's form teams, not just in the final month, but for the whole of the second half of the season.

The Dons' second 21 matches saw 12 wins, 4 draws and just 5 defeats, for a total of 40 points. Only 21 goals were conceded while 42 were scored. If that record was doubled over a full season, then in all of the last 6 seasons, it would have been good enough for 3rd place in the League, and 3 times it would have brought a runners-up spot.

In case anyone should put this down to an easier second-half schedule, then it should be pointed out that Hendon faced every opponent except Purfleet in that time, while there were 2 games against St Albans.

The Greens' record in their last 10 matches is championship form. After sitting in 20th place in the table on the morning of 23 March, Hendon recorded 8 wins, 1 draw and a single defeat, scoring 25 goals and conceding 6. Over a full 42-game season, that would equate to around 101 points and a similar number of goals scored.

The club's fine form must mean that both manager Dave Anderson and goalkeeper David Hook will be very close to earning the Ryman League's monthly manager and goalkeeping awards.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 27 April - Greens finish on a high

Hendon finished by continuing their end of season form, beating rivals Enfield 2-0 at the LOOT Stadium. The Greens went ahead after just two minutes through Ricci Crace. A loose ball fell to his on the edge of the area and the youngster beat two men before sliding the ball home. Randall added the second in the 64th minute, chipping Enfield 'keeper Kalli after being played through. The victory cememted the Don's 8th place in the league

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 27 April - Clarke honoured by supporters

Simon Clarke won his second Supporter's Player of the Season award at Hendon, beating David Hook and Dale Binns to the vote just a week after making his 350th appearance for the club. Clarke last won the award in the 1996/97 season, his second with the Greens. Supporter(s) of the season were John and Margaret Hutton, who were given the award after spending around 50 years following the Dons. The couple will be retiring to Norfolk this summer.

Posted at 18:10

Monday 22 April - Managers Cup winner known

This season's Managers Cup has been won by Pauline Rogers, who wins the prize of £60. Runner up is likely to be Jeffrey Fox, who needs a point to confirm second place.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 22 April - No goals for youth team

The youth teams had a goalless return on Sunday. In a double header at Pinner United, the Under 15's lost 1-0 and drew 0-0, while the Under 14's drew 0-0 with St Margaret's Strollers at the LOOT Stadium.

Posted at 09:45

Monday 22 April - Reserves return to winning ways

The reserves returned to winning ways on Saturday with a 5-1 demolition of Sutton United, the goals coming from Gil Gomes, Darius Alamouti, Ross Cable, Adil Salih, Duncan Hamilton and Pat Sappleton. Tonight, the reserves travel to Hayes, before completing their season at Corinthian Casuals on Thursday night.

Posted at 09:30

Saturday 20 April - Crace inspires Dons to win

Ricci Crace inspired Hendon to a 3-0 win at Croydon Sports Arena today. Croydon, relegated last Saturday, were hit in the first minute as Randall played through a suspiciously offside looking Crace to score the Greens' first. An almost identical move in the 29th minute saw Crace's second goal, although this time the youngster was clearly onside. Crace completed his hat-trick in the 40th minute, latching onto a loose ball in the area. Croydon did get a consolation goal late in the second half through Simon Mitchell, but it was too little too late.

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 18 April - Clarke to be offered captaincy

Simon Clarke will be offered the captaincy on Saturday if he is selected to play at Croydon in honour of him reaching his 350th first team appearance for the club. If selected to play against Enfield the following week, our last home game of the season, there will be an opportunity for supporters to show their appreciation of Simon's committment and effort for the club over the past 7 seasons and to congratulate him on reaching a milestone that is rarely made in this day and age. Let's hope that he goes on to make many more appearances for the club in the future.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 17 April - Reserves lose cup final

The reserve lost the final of the Middlesex Premier Cup 2-0 to Northolt Saints this evening. Having had the better of the first half but not finding the net, Hendon lost their way in the second half and Northolt scored in the 63rd and 76th minutes to take the game, and take away the chances of a county cup double for the club.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 17 April - Clarke close to milestone

Hendon full-back/wing-back Simon Clarke will reach a major milestone on Saturday. when he makes his 350th appearance for the club. Clarke, who joined Hendon from Kettering Town in the summer of 1995, after a brief career at West Ham (3 League appearances), originally signed as a midfielder, but moved into the left-back berth in an emergency early in 1996 and has become a fixture in the side. He has also made a few appearances as a central defender, been an emergency striker, and has also a finished a handful of games in goal. He has scored 16 goals for Hendon, including their first of both last season and this.

Posted at 09:45

Tuesday 16 April - Iron turned over

Hendon earned another three points tonight, beating Braintree Town 3-0 at the LOOT Stadium. Crace opened the scoring in the 7th minute, and soon added another with a 13th minute strike. However, Hendon couldn't keep up the pace and it took until the 76th minute for the third to be added, Randall scoring after a good move.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 16 April - Reserve and youth update

The reserves have hit a poor run of form ahead of tomorrow nights cup final, having now lost their last 5 league games, the latest seeing them go down 1-0 at Maidenhead United on Saturday. The Under 15's had a great weekend, winning 5-1 in the league on Saturday, and 4-1 in the supplementary cup on Sunday, while the Under 13's went down 4-3 on Sunday in a league match. As usual full details can be found on the relevant team pages.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 13 April - Crace earns a point

Hendon won just a single point at home to off-form Maidenhead United this afternoon, the final result at the LOOT Stadium being a 1-1 draw. Maidenhead scored first, Lee Channell putting the Magpies ahead in the 27th minute. Hendon failed to show their form of late, however, and it took until the 80th minute for the equaliser to come through Ricci Crace.

Posted at 18:30

Tuesday 09 April - Greens beat Grays

Hendon beat top six side Grays Athletic tonight, winning 1-0 in front of a sparce crowd. The only goal of the game came in the 55th minute, Ricci Crace pouncing on a loose ball after Ofori's shot was saved. Grays thought that they'd equalised, but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 08 April - Question Dave Anderson

Greensnet along with Dave Anderson (and a certain supporter's idea - you know who you are) are giving supporters the chance to ask 1st team manager any questions or make any comments that they wish before Saturday. Replies will then both be posted (with anonymous questions) on the website and e-mailed to the individuals who ask the questions. If successful, the feature will continue in the future, maintaining an additional dialogue between the staff and supporters of the club.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 08 April - Hendon players earn England call up

Two of Hendon's Under-15s squad will be in the England squad for next season. Midfielder Daniel Llewellyn, son of team manager "Lou", had made it straight into the squad, while full-back Danny Blanchette is first reserve. Congratulations to both lads and also to defender Cruz Mentore who was also invited to the trial last month

Posted at 09:45

Monday 08 April - Reserve and youth update

The reserves lost their 3rd match in a row, going down 3-2 at home to Hayes on Saturday afternoon, and they need to be careful that they don't get dragged into the relegation fight in the Premier Division. Meanwhile on Sunday, the Under 16's beat St Josephs 4-1, before losing to the same team 2-0 in a double header, while the Under 15's drew 1-1 with Springfield in the Supplementary Cup.

Posted at 09:30

Saturday 06 April - Shots end Greens' run

Aldershot Town put paid to Hendon's ideas of extend their run of five consecutive wins, winning 2-1 at the Recreation Ground. It took until the 58th minute for the deadlock to be broken, Stafford Browne putting the 'Shots 1-0 up. Binns replied for the Dons in the 78th minute, spoting Gareth Howells out of position and firing a shot through a number of players to equalise. Aldershot's Adam Parker regained the lead for them with five minutes left, but not before Ricci Crace shot just over and then just wide, being unlucky not to find the target

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 04 April - Dons make it five in a row

Hendon beat St. Albans City 1-0 at The LOOT Stadium tonight to make their record five wins in a row. The first half was only notable for the sending off of Rob Smith in the 28th minute for St. Albans, a booking for a poor challenge being swiftly followed by another for something said to the referee. Simon Martin was also cautioned, for continued dissent after Smith had been sent off. However, in the second half, Hendon began to show some of the form that they produced recently away from home, creating a number of chances. Binns finally put one away in the 63rd minute, lobbing Richard Wilmot from 20 yards. In the 75th minute, Smith saw red, collecting a second yellow card for a challenge on Michael Woolner. Hendon created several more chances, but failed to put any of them away.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 03 April - Confirmation of Grays game

It has been confirmed this morning that next weeks game against Grays Athletic will go ahead as planned on Tuesday, 9th April, kick off 7.45pm. There had been a suggestion that the game would move to the following night due to the funeral for the Queen Mother, but the two clubs were unable to agree a new date that week.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 02 April - Duncan makes playing return

There was some good news to come out of the reserves defeat on Saturday afternoon as wingback Iain Duncan made his first playing appearance since suffering a serious knee injury on Easter Monday 2001. He played 45 minutes for Alan Rolnick's side as he looks to hopefully make an eventual first team return.

Posted at 18:00

Tuesday 02 April - Reserve and youth update

On Saturday afternoon the reserves slipped to their second straight home defeat as they lost 3-2 to Metropolitan Police, while on Sunday morning the Under 16's won 6-3 at Harrow St Mary's. Full details are on the relevant team pages.

Posted at 17:45

Tuesday 02 April - Sponsored walk success

More than 40 Hendon supporters completed the sponsored walk from LOOT Stadium to Boreham Wood FC on Good Friday morning, prior to the clubs' Ryman League Premier Division encounter. The walkers were fortunate to have glorious weather for the walk and, being a bank holiday, the roads were less busy too. Among the walkers were club manager Dave Anderson, who was very disappointed that his assistants Jon Turner and Warren Kelly found reasons to miss the date, the club mascot Monty the Lamb and a little Yorkshire Terrier. Money raised from the walk will go to the Imperial Cancer Research Fund and a new club shop for the Supporters Association. In 2000, when the Supporters Association last did a charity walk, over £3000 was raised and officials are hopeful of surpassing that figure this year.

Posted at 17:45

Monday 01 April - Hendon: Middlesex 'Champions'

Hendon won Middlesex's premier competition, the Middlesex Senior Cup, beating Northwood 4-2 after extra time at Hayes' Church Road ground. Around 850 people saw both sides create plenty of chances in a typical cup tie, although it took until the 56th minute for the deadlock to be broken - Randall scoring from a quick short corner. Northwood made the best of the rest of the half, scoring from an almost identical set-piece (this time a free-kick) in the 78th minute through Chris Gell. Hendon came alive in the 10th minute of the first period of stoppage time, and with a period of prolonged presure, Randall put the Greens 2-1 up, before in the 105th minute, Crace scored following a brilliant piece of individual skill. Northwood scored again through Yaku after 115 minutes, but Binns set Hendon hearts at rest in the 120th minute, putting the Dons 4-2 up.

Posted at 23:00