News - November 2003

Sunday 30 November - Pitch cover installed

After yesterdays game a cover was put in place to safeguard it from the rain for, we hope, the rest of the season.

The entire pitch will be protected by a huge inflatable cover, the same as the one that was in use at Chelsea on Wednesday afternoon to keep their pitch dry before their Champions League match that evening. We don't know of any other non-league club who have such a cover in place, and so it could well be that Hendon are the first.

It has all been made possible thanks to Zig Zag Productions, the driving force behind Bravo's Fashanu's Football Challenge programme. Although we played here last Saturday, their game the following day had to be cancelled due to the worsening conditions.

We hope that their gamble in hiring this expensive piece of equipment pays off for them and that it proves to be a huge success. We're told that their programme, filmed at our own Claremont Road ground, is doing better than all expectations. Good luck to them and we hope its popularity continues to grow and that they keep playing throughout the winter.

Also, don't forget that if you watch the show, to keep your eyes open for a familiar face in the title sequence.

Posted at 18:00

Sunday 30 November - Youth team round up

Two of our youth teams were in action this morning and it was good news for the Under 14s as they ran out 10-0 winners over AFC Wasps, Carmichael Boois and Azzam Zaied both hitting hat-tricks. However, it was not so good for the Under 16s as they lost 2-0 at Actual Soccer with a performance described by manager Mark Crawford as very disappointing and probably their worst this season.

Posted at 14:30

Saturday 29 November - Dons earn second chance

Hendon made a better job of their second encounter with Kettering, earning a replay on Tuesday night with a 1-1 draw in a well contested encounter. Although Kettering had a good penalty shout in the first half, the Greens probably shaded it with the better chances, a fact reflected in the half time scoreline, Mark Cooper scrambling the ball home just before the interval. However, Kettering came back well again, and created more in the second half, Elliot Pashalis hooking the ball home in the 55th minute to take the tie back to Rockingham Road on Tuesday night.

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 29 November - Trophy replay on Tuesday

This afternoon's draw with Kettering Town has meant a couple of changes to our fixture list. We will now meet Kettering for the replay of todays tie at Rockingham Road on Tuesday night at 7.45 instead of playing Canvey Island in the already delayed Bryco Cup tie. While there is no date currently set for that game, we will advise supporters through all the usual outlets as soon as we have details of a new date.

Posted at 17:55

Saturday 29 November - Trophy game is on

This afternoon's FA Trophy game against Kettering Town is going ahead as planned. There are no problems with the pitch as there has been no rain since Wednesday lunchtime and it has recovered from the battering it took last weekend. As at 12.15pm despite two hours of rain, the pitch is in a much better condition than this time last week and therefore there are no plans for a pitch inspection and the game will kick off at 3.00pm. We hope to see as many of you as possible there to get behind the team and hopefully cheer them on to victory.

Posted at 12:15

Friday 28 November - Fixture news

Our Middlesex Senior Cup tie against Potters Bar Town has now been rearranged for Tuesday, 16th December, kicking off at 7.45pm at Claremont Road. Consequently our league game at Grays Athletic has been postponed again and will be rearranged for sometime in the new year.

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 22 November - Poppies win in the rain

Kettering Town won the first ever league fixture between the two clubs coming away with a 2-1 win. On a very wet afternoon, the correct decision was made to play the game and Hendon took advantage in the 25th minute when Steve Butler hooked the ball home after a freekick was nodded across the goal by Pat Gavin who had earlier hit the crossbar. Ricci Crace had a good chance to extend the lead early in the second half, but Kettering fought back well and equalised in the 64th minute when Jason Turner turned the ball home after it was fumbled by teenage keeper Dean Lindsay. The winning goal came with five minutes to go when Elliot Pashalis scored after taking advantage of a slip by Mark Burgess. Hendon had good chances to score in the second period, Crace forcing an excellent save out of Paul Pettinger, and another chance went begging when no Hendon player was able to get on the end of a good cross from Andre Delisser. Hendon will be looking for immediate revenge next week in the FA Trophy.

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 22 November - Fash FC game off

Tomorrow mornings Fash FC game has been postponed after the pitch was left waterlogged following the first team fixture this afternoon.

Posted at 17:55

Saturday 22 November - New mugs now in stock

Supporters who have ordered the new tea mugs will be able to collect them at this afternoon's game. The order was only placed on Monday and arrived at the club on Friday. Anyone who would still like to order some should do so at within the next week or so to ensure delivery in time for Christmas. These are the mugs that include the current squad on the side of the mug, and any name and number on the back of the mug, and the front of the current shirt on the front. They are priced at an extremely reasonable £4.99.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 20 November - County cup game postponed

Our Middlesex Senior Cup tie against Potters Bar Town due to be played next Tuesday has been postponed. This is because Potters Bar are due to play in their League Cup. Because Potters Bar are only associate members of the Middlesex FA the county cannot force them to call off the game. No new date has yet been set for our game, but it is unlikely to take place until January.

Posted at 18:00

Tuesday 18 November - Reserves pick up point

The reserves picked up a point at Staines Town this evening courtesy of a 62nd minute equaliser from Andre Delisser following a goalmouth scramble. Staines had taken the lead just before half time when Craig Maskell capitalised on an error by Jaz Rose to run clear and chip the ball over Dean Lindsay. The Greens had further chances to score but were either unable to find the target or found the Staines keeper in good form.

Team : Lindsay, Meakin, J.Burgess, Howard (Booth 75), Rose, Delisser, Alves (Huggett 73), Randall, Gavin, Sheeky, Binns. Unused subs : Llewellyn, Vincent, McLeish

Posted at 22:30

Tuesday 18 November - Canvey cup date set

The date for our Bryco Cup tie at Canvey Island has been set and will take place on Wednesday, 3rd December at Park Lane, kicking off at 7.30pm.

Posted at 17:30

Tuesday 18 November - Reserves in action tonight

The reserves are in Capital League action tonight as they travel to Staines Town in a game that has been brought forward 24 hours at the request of our hosts. Manager John Morris will be hoping to return to winning ways following the defeat at Woking two weeks ago.

Posted at 10:00

Sunday 16 November - Youth team round up

It was mixed news today for the three youth teams in action. The Under 11's, having started the season several weeks late, won their second league match this morning, beating Pitshanger B 3-0 with goals from Jack Shortiss, Ashley Jules and Max Mqai. The Under 15's drawing 1-1 with Apoel, the goal coming from Marcel Byfield. The other team in action were the Under 16's who lost in the County Cup 2-1 in extra time to South Ruislip Rangers. Mo Liban scored the goal for the Greens. The youth team pages are now fully up to date.

Posted at 17:00

Sunday 16 November - Eight unbeaten for women

Hendon Women extended their unbeaten run to eight games with a 4-2 win at Brentford on Sunday. Their heroine was striker Michelle Smith, who bagged a hat-trick, including the opener after 20 minutes. Smith made it 2-0 a quarter of an hour before half-time and Joyce Osuji-Uche stretched the lead to 3-0, 10 minutes after the break. However, Brentford hit back well and scored a couple of times in quick succession. However, with 10 minutes remaining, Smith completed her hat-trick and Hendon had the points. The womens pages are now fully up to date with comprehensive reports from the games played so far for both the first team and reserves.

Posted at 16:45

Saturday 15 November - Dons make it four in a row

Hendon made it four league victories on the trot this afternoon at Kingsmeadow, a single goal being enough to beat Kingstonian in an exciting encounter. The goal came early on in the first half, Dave Hunt playing the ball across the area for Ofori to latch onto for his 11th goal of the season. Both sides had a number of other chances to score, although the best fell to the Greens, who hit the woodwork three separate times early in the second half. The victory leaves the Dons in fifth place in the league, albeit closing in on Carshalton who lost today in a top of the table clash with leaders Canvey Island.

Posted at 18:30

Tuesday 11 November - The 3 C's strike again

Hendon recorded their second consecutive 3-0 victory tonight this time beating Billericay Town on a damp, misty evening. Somewhat strangely all three goals were scored by the same three players as Saturday. The opening goal came in the 19th minue when a cross from Scott Cousins was headed against the post by Steve Forbes, but Ricci Crace was able to stab the ball home. The second goal came shortly before half time when another Cousins cross found Andy Cook at the far post who looped the ball over visiting keeper Jerome John into the back of the net. The third goal was a 75th minute penalty converted by Cousins after Crace had been fouled in the area by John. The overall performance was not quite as convincing as on Saturday, and it should be said that Billericay put up more of a fight than Hitchin.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 11 November - Fixture news

Our outstanding game at Grays Athletic has now been rearranged and will take place on Tuesday, 16th December 2003, kicking off at 7.45pm. We are still waiting for a new date for the Bryco Cup tie at Canvey Island.

Posted at 22:45

Sunday 09 November - Copthall pitch work completed

Phase One of the work at our new Copthall Stadium home has been completed. The first phase was to install the new playing pitch and work commenced during October when 500 tons of soil was removed from the existing pitch. A new drainage system was installed and hundreds of tons of sand laid. The new surface was laser levelled, fully seeded and is now fenced off to protect it as the grass grows and the pitch beds in. As and when there is more news from the club about our impending move, you will see it first in the matchday programme, on the Greensline and of course here on the website.

Posted at 17:00

Sunday 09 November - Three new faces arrive

Dave Anderson has made three new signings over the past few days. Joining from Chelmsford City is experienced striker Pat Gavin who made an appearance for us earlier in the season at Aylesbury United. Pat is already well known to us as before joining Chelmsford he spent six years at Harrow Borough. A second striker has been signed is Luke Sheeky from Hanwell Town. Luke spent a year at Queens Park Rangers and is someone that Dave has been aware of for some time. It is hoped that he will be introduced into the first team after Christmas once he has settled into the club. The third new face is defender Antony Howard, who joined from Slough Town in time to make his debut as a substitute yesterday against Hitchin. His previous clubs include Fulham and Hampton & Richmond Borough. We welcome all three players to the club and hope that they enjoy their time with us.

Posted at 16:30

Sunday 09 November - Canvey game postponed

Our Bryco Cup game at Canvey Island on Tuesday, 18th November has been postponed following their 1-1 draw at Southend United in the FA Cup this afternoon. Canvey will be playing their replay at Park Lane that evening. A new date will be announced for the game in due course. Our Middlesex Senior Cup tie against Potters Bar Town on Tuesday, 25th November will kick off at 7.45pm as will the London Senior Cup tie against Dulwich Hamlet two weeks later.

Posted at 16:00

Sunday 09 November - Grab yourself a hat

The new Hendon FC fleece hats are now available from the club shop priced at just £6.00. They sold like hot cakes yesterday afternoon, so if you haven't already, get in quick to buy yours before they sell out. The hat includes the club badge on the fron

Posted at 15:30

Sunday 09 November - 2004 calendar now on sale

For the second year running Dave "Monty" Garner has produced a calendar starring our players. It's all very different from last years sell out edition, this time the players are all dressed in costumes that have been used in films. This classy calendar is a must for all Hendon supporters and is now on sale in the club shop priced £5.00

Posted at 15:15

Sunday 09 November - It's not a Mugs game

How would you fancy your name (or anyone's name) on a Tea Mug featuring a Hendon shirt and any squad number of your choice? Well we are ofering supporters the chance to purchase a new Hendon mug. On the front will be the front view of the home shirt, and on the back of the mug is the back view of the shirt that will carry your name, or that of a family member or friend with any number of your choice on the shirt. You can even build up a collection of "Hendon Greats" featuring your HFC all time favourite players. Dare we say it, but it's a great Christmas gift. Samples can be viewed in the club shop on Tuesday evening and you can place your orders then. The mugs are priced at £4.99.

Posted at 15:00

Saturday 08 November - Greens return to form

Hendon returned to form in style this afternoon with a comfortable 3-0 win against Hitchin Town, the first home league win for eight weeks. The first goal came in the 19th minute when Andy Cook drove the ball through a crowd of players into the net. Ricci Crace saw an overhead shot hit the bar soon afterwards, and before half time former Hendon keeper Richard Wilmot made an excellent save from a Scott Cousins cross cum shot that was headed just under the bar. It was Cousins that doubled the lead early in the second half with an unstoppable drive from 20 yards and the game was won in the 64th minute when Crace drove a shot across Wilmot and into the net just inside the far post. Further chances fell to Dave Hunt, Steve Forbes, Steve Butler and Dale Binns as the Greens controlled the game through to the final whistle.

Posted at 18:00

Wednesday 05 November - Reserves lose at Woking

The reserves travelled to Woking tonight but were unable to earn anything as they lost 4-2. Woking created plenty of chances in the first half and it was no surprise when they took the lead in the 26th minute through Ollie Burgess. Just five minutes later the same player had doubled the lead as the Greens were in some disarray. Despite that they did have their chances to score but were unable to take them. Within two minutes of the second half restarting Gary Meakin pulled a goal back after being sent clear of the defence. However Woking regained control and scored their third thanks to Jermaine Emmanuel. In the 65th minute Dale Binns showed that he was well on the way back to form with a trademark goal before Woking scored their fourth courtesy of a Jaz Rose own goal with 8 minutes to go. The game was soured with a rash of yellow cards in the final few minutes, Simon Huggett being dismissed for two bookings in a short space of time.

Team : Lindsay, Meakin, Boothe, Rose, Delisser, Llewellyn, Huggett, Hunt, Lopez (Gray HT), J.Burgess, Binns. Unused subs : M.Burgess, Vincent.

Posted at 23:30

Monday 03 November - FA Trophy draw

The draw for the Second Round of the FA Trophy has been made this morning, and we have been drawn at home to Kettering Town. The game will take place on Saturday, 29th November at 3.00pm at Claremont Road. Ironically the previous Saturday we will also be entertaining the Poppies at Claremont Road, but in the league.

Posted at 13:00

Saturday 01 November - Greens win friendly

Hendon won this afternoon's friendly against Cheshunt 1-0 courtesy of a 13th minute strike from Ricci Crace. The game was marred by a nasty looking injury suffered early on by Cheshunt midfielder Carl Ashton and we wish Carl all the best for a speedy recovery. Hendon had the best of the chances throughout the game, but were just unable to get the decisive touch. One bonus for the Hendon supporters that watched the game was that they saw Dale Binns return to action after two months on the sidelines, while teenaged defender Jaz Rose showed some excellent touches after replacing Steve Butler in defence for the last 20 minutes.

Posted at 18:00