News - August 2002

Saturday 31 August - Hendon continue good start

Hendon continued their good start to the season, beating visitors Hitchin 2-1 despite having to field a weakened side. With five first team members unavailable, new signings Steve Gallen (from Waterford, Ireland) and Christian Hyslop (Harrow Borough) were named as substitutes, although both went usused. Hitchin took an early lead in the 7th minute through a stunning free kick from Brennan, before a legitimate goal from Randall was not given by the officials a few minutes later. However, Hendon piled on the pressure in the second half and found the net twice through Dale Binns and then Pat Sappleton, who scored a brilliant volley from around 25 yards

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 29 August - Strong reserve side wins

A strong reserve side, which included first team members not heavily involved in first team action this weekend, saw Hendon turn over their counterparts from Northwood 3-0. Leon Woodruffe was sent off for kicking out after 32 minutes, but just 5 minutes later James Burgess scored from the penalty spot. Rob Howarth doubled the lead just before half time and then added his second late in the second half.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 29 August - Woolner out for 2-3 weeks

Michael Woolner's injury suffered on Monday has not turned out to be as bad as first feared. Michael has been diagnosed with a severly bruised foot and will be out of action for 2-3 weeks

Posted at 09:45

Thursday 29 August - Player sponsorship available

The club still has plenty of oportunities for you or your company to sponsor your favourite player(s) or staff member at £140+VAT. Please contact Graham on (020) 8201 9494 for more details.

Posted at 09:30

Monday 26 August - Woolner injured in draw

Michael Woolner was stretchered off the field in this afternoon's 0-0 draw with Billericay. In a game dominated by the two defences, the talking point was provided by Alvin Bubb, Byron's cousin. Billericay's recent signing was booked in the 25th minute for a late challenge on Iain Duncan, and followed this with a reckless tackle on Michael Woolner two minutes later. Hook was only forced into one good save during the game, but Hendon could only muster two decent chances, both in the second half.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 24 August - Comfortable win for Greens

Hendon won their opening home game of the season, comfortably beating relegated Hayes 2-0. The first goal came in the 7th minute when Mark Cooper headed home a Paul Yates cross. The lead was doubled midway through the second half when a Dale Binns cross found Martin Randall, who flicked the ball into the net with his head. Hayes never really threatened the Hendon goal, David Hook making his first save in the 93rd minute. Meanwhile, the reserves lost 2-1 at Hayes in a lunchtime kickoff.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 24 August - More details on Copthall

Chairman Ivor Arbiter and Vice Chairman Andrew Landesberg are looking seriously into a possible move from Claremont Road to The Copthall Stadium.

In the week leading up to the start of the season Ivor arranged a series of meetings, all of which took place on the same day. Senior club staff, team management and the Hendon FC Supporters Association Committee were all met and informed of the possibility of the move and then Ivor answered all the questions put to him by those present.

It must be stressed that any move is only a possibility - nothing has been formally agreed or decided - at the moment it is only an option that is under consideration.

The club has been approached by the London Borough of Barnet who would like to redevelop our Claremont Road site (which is owned by the council) and in return give the club a new lease at The Copthall Stadium, Hendon.

Claremont Road is a great old ground - a propper football ground - although some visiting teams may not appreciate it as much as our supporters!

Unforuntately the cost of maintaining it is rising by the month. It needs some major construction work to be carried out on it and this is, like most things these days, very very costly.

We would all like a new stand, but we can't just replace the current stand (built in 1926) with a modern copy. The new one would have to be almost twice as big to suit our long term needs and at present, any grant towards its construction would still leave the club with a huge amount of money to find in order to have it built.

Even if the required resources were in place, Claremont Road would still need much more than just a new stand. To bring it up to modern standards and safeguard the club long into the future it really does need to be virtually rebuilt. We won't even guess as to how much that would cost.

Ivor and Andrew have only ever does what's best for this club, they have kept it alive, they continue to prop it up and seek realistic ways in which to take the club forward and most of all - secure its long term future.

They have never yet let the supporters of Hendon Football Club down and you can be assured that their interest, concern and support is as strong now as it was when they first came in to save the club from extinction.

Ivor's company, the Arbiter Group plc are not selling or pulling out of the club, they are also not interested in any ground share agreement with any other club.

As always, both Ivor and Andrew will answer question put to them by any supporter of this club.

The stadium situation is a very emotive one, and again, please be assured that they are both treating it this way and will not be rushed - as they have proved in the past - into any quick decisions regarding the future of this famous football club.

Hendon FC will continue to play home games at Claremont Road this season (2002/2003) and any move, if it was to happen, could in theory take as long as three years to put in place. This is a recent development and as such there is a lot of work to be done.

Feasibility studies, architects, surveyors, the Football Association, the Ryman League, the London Borough of Barnet and a host of other interest parties need to be consulted, and this will take time. And at the end of it all, it may never happen.

Hendon Football Club will keep you informed through the programme, the Greensline and Greensnet.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 19 August - Andrew Landesberg on Greensline

This evening, an interview with Andrew Landesberg about the potential move to Copthall will go live on the Greensline. It will be on the club's line until Wednesday evening. To hear Andrew's interview, call 09066 555836. (Calls cost 60p/minute at all times)

Posted at 16:00

Saturday 17 August - Draw at Enfield

Hendon drew away to Enfield today, neither team getting to grips with the intricacies of the new ball this season. The best chances for both teams came in the second half, Kalli pulling off two good saves from both Dale Binns and Kieran Gallagher in quick succession. David Hook was then tested at full stretch, whilst both Randall and Haworth also had good chances from corners

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 15 August - Hendon FC and Copthall

The club directors are seriously considering an opportunity of moving Hendon FC from Claremont Road to the Copthall Stadium.

Late this week, chairman Ivor Arbiter held seperate meeting with senior club staff, team management and the Hendon FC Supporters Association committee.

The club directors believe a move away from Claremont Road would be in the best interest of securing the long term future of the club.

Any move would not take place during this season (2002/03). The earliest the club could move would be in twelve months but it could take up to three years.

It must be stressed that it is not definite that the club will be leaving Claremont Road - talks will be ongoing and there are many hurdles to negotiate before a final decision is forthcoming.

From the meeting that have so far taken place with various individuals and committees the idea has met with positive support.

It is expected that Ivor Arbiter (club Chairman) and Andrew Landesberg (Vice Chairman) will issue a formal statement during the next week. Meanwhile, the club are looking forward with great optimism to the start of the playing season this weekend.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 13 August - K's match postponed

Hendon will not be playing Kingstonian next Tuesday at Claremont Road due to the Isthmian League's decision not to lift the Surrey side's suspension this morning. The fixture will now be rearanged for a later date subject to Kingstonian succeeding in their efforts to clear their debts. Keep an eye on K's Web for more details.

Posted at 14:00

Tuesday 13 August - Managers Cup reminder

Supporters intending to enter this season's managers cup competition should bear in mind that entries must either be handed in to a supporters association committee member or submitted through the website before 3.00 on Saturday

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 10 August - Pre-season finishes well

Hendon won their last pre-season friendly with a convincing 3-0 scoreline this afternoon against Leicestershire side Hinckley United. The Greens' broke the deadlock midway through the first half in slightly unusual circumstances. Paul Yates challenged a defender and the 'keeper on the edge of the penalty area resulting in a loose ball traveling into the net. The second was added by Binns midway through the second half, as he chipped the 'keeper from around 25 yards, whilst the third came through a late Paul Towler header.

Posted at 21:00

Saturday 10 August - First cup draws

The first cup draws for this season have now been made for the first team, whilst the reserves are also now aware of the draw in one of their cup competitions. In the Ryman League Cup, Hendon enter in the Second Round, hosting Staines Town, and will be hoping to reproduce last season's 5-1 victory in the Middlesex Senior Cup. Meanwhile, the Greens' defence of the Middlsex Senior Cup begins in the Second Round when Hendon will host the winners of a First Round tie between Viking Greenford and Hillingdon Borough. The Reserves also enter their Middlesex Cup competition in the Second Round, and will be away to the winners of a tie between North Greenford Reserves and Hanwell Town Reserves.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 06 August - Second trophy for Anderson

Dave Anderson saw his charges win their second trophy in just over four months as they overcame Enfield Town 1-0, courtesy of a 34th minute Martin Randall goal. The goal came after Dale Binns had broken down the left wing and crossed for Randall to hit the ball into the net off the underside of the crossbar. Hendon had plenty of chances in the second half to extend their lead, but found goalkeeper Andy Hall in excellent form. Meanwhile, at the other end David Hook had a very quiet evening, making just one save in the 82nd minute.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 05 August - Burgess moves on

It has been confirmed today that Mark Burgess has left the club and is believed to be joining Aylesbury United. Mark rejoined the club last season, and proved to be a useful asset, filling in a number of positions, and kept Simon Clarke out of the cup final side against Northwood. However, he expressed a desire for regular first team football, which Dave Anderson was unable to guarantee him. Meanwhile, Dave Anderson categorically confirmed that Steve Forbes has not signed for Canvey Island. In fact the first he heard of anything was when he read it in the Non League Paper yesterday. He also confirmed that Forbes has signed a contract with Hendon.

Posted at 10:00

Sunday 04 August - Forbes is still with the club

There have been reports in both the Non League Paper, and on their sister website that midfielder Steve Forbes has signed for Canvey Island. We are happy to say that is not the case as Canvey Island have actually signed Scott Forbes from Colchester United. Forbes signed a contract with Hendon at the end of last season.

Posted at 10:00