News - December 2009

Thursday 31 December - New date for Boreham Wood

Our game against Boreham Wood that was postponed due to the weather on Tuesday night has been rearranged, and will now take place on Tuesday 12th January, kicking off at 1945 as normal.

Posted at 16:51

Tuesday 29 December - Boreham Wood game postponed

Unfortunately, despite our hopes earlier this afternoon, following the heavy rain over the past few hours, the match referee has had no option but to call the game off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Posted at 16:45

Tuesday 29 December - One out and one in

Graham Etchell announced earlier today that we have terminated Billy Dunn's loan agreement and he has returned to Sutton United with immediate effect. We thank Billy for his efforts over the past couple of months.

Coming in the opposite direction on a month's loan deal is Billy's teammate, Bradley Woods-Garness. Bradley would have been eligible to play for us tonight had the game gone ahead. Bradley has previously played for Dartford, Billericay Town and Farnborough. We welcome Bradley to the club and hope he enjoys his time with us.

Posted at 16:40

Tuesday 29 December - Prospects of play are good

We are confident that tonight's game against Boreham Wood at Vale Farm will go ahead as planned. The pitch is currently playable, but as everyone will understand, it does depend how heavy this afternoon's rain is.

We have been in contact with the match referee, and he will be arriving at Vale Farm to undertake a precautionary inspection as soon after 5.00pm as he can to confirm that the pitch remains playable.

We will update the website again as soon as the result of the inspection is known.

Posted at 13:27

Saturday 26 December - Hardworking Greens take their chances

Hendon took their chances this afternoon as they won 3-0 at Harrow Borough, with James Parker, Casey Maclaren and James Bent finding the back of the net.

After a first half, where Harrow had the better of the game, Hendon nicked the lead shortly before half time when Parker curled the ball into the top corner. The lead was doubled early in the second half when Maclaren latched on to a loose ball to slam it home, before Bent completed the scoring in a one on one with the Harrow keeper.

Whilst this was a real team performance with every player working extremely hard, mention must be made of James Reading, who made a number of excellent saves, including a penalty just before half time.

Posted at 17:35

Saturday 26 December - Harrow game is on

Harrow Borough confirmed a few minutes ago that despite the overnight rain, there appear to be no problems with the Earlsmead pitch and the game will kick off as planned at 3pm.

Posted at 10:45

Thursday 24 December - Harrow hopeful of game going ahead

Harrow Borough were in contact earlier today to let us know that following today's thaw they are confident of our Boxing Day game going ahead, but you are advised to check the website before travelling to the game in case there has been any change.

Posted at 21:56

Wednesday 23 December - Happy Christmas

Gary McCann would like, on behalf of himself, the whole management team and all the playing squad, wish all our supporters a very Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Posted at 16:35

Tuesday 22 December - John Morris

It is with sadness that we have learnt of the death of our former reserve team manager John Morris. He passed away last night following a long battle with lung cancer.

John was brought to Hendon by Dave Anderson, and followed him to AFC Wimbledon where he took up a similar role. He also had spells managing the first teams at various clubs including Walton Casuals.

After leaving the club, John still came to Hendon games from time to time, and was always a joy to talk to. His last visit to the club was back in October when he was well enough to attend our FA Cup tie against Woking.

Everyone at the club sends their deepest sympathies to his wife Joan and all his family at this very sad time.

Posted at 12:24

Saturday 19 December - More fixture rearrangements

The Wealdstone game due to be played on 5th January has been postponed again, and will now take place on Tuesday 2nd March.

Our home game against Tooting & Mitcham United will now be played on Tuesday 26th January, the away game at Maidstone will take place on Tuesday 9th February, whilst the home game against Carshalton Athletic will take place on Tuesday 23rd February.

Meanwhile, in the London Senior Cup, Brimsdown Rovers beat Redbridge 4-1 on Wednesday night, and they now entertain Hanwell Town in the 3rd round sometime in the new year. We will travel to the winners on a date to be arranged.

Posted at 10:03

Saturday 19 December - Bognor match postponed

It'll come as no surprise that this afternoon's match against Bognor Regis Town has been postponed due to snow and a heavy overnight frost.

Also postponed are the U21s home game against Kentish Town Reserves and the U16s away game at Harlington.

Posted at 09:26

Friday 18 December - Pitch inspection arranged

A pitch inspection has been arranged to take place before 10am tomorrow morning ahead of our game against Bognor Regis Town. At the time of writing there is two inches of snow on the Vale Farm pitch, and it is not showing any sign of thawing. On that basis we are doubtful that tomorrow's game will go ahead.

A further update will be posted to the website tomorrow morning as soon as we hear the result of the inspection.

Posted at 11:49

Wednesday 16 December - Canvey game rearranged

Our home league game against Canvey Island has been rearranged and will now take place at Vale Farm on Tuesday 2nd February 2010. Kick off time will be 7.45pm as normal.

Posted at 11:46

Wednesday 16 December - 2010 Calendar now available

The 2010 Hendon FC Calendar is now available to buy. They will be on sale on Saturday at the Bognor game, but if you are unable to get to the game, you can order your calendars online. To do so, please go to the messageboard, and there is a message towards the top of the board through which you can order via Paypal. You do not need to be a Paypal member to use this as you can pay by debit or credit card.

If you would like to pay by alternative means, please contact Steve Rogers on

The calendars feature photos from the London Senior Cup final win last season, and cost £15.00 each.

Also available on Saturday will be Christmas Cards priced at £2.00 each. All proceeds from the sales go directly to the Supporters Trust.

Posted at 10:13

Tuesday 15 December - Hendon pay the penalty

Hendon were made to pay the price for a poor performance tonight as Combined Counties League side Hanworth Villa ran out 5-4 winners in a penalty shoot out following a 2-2 draw.

However, the Greens only had themselves to blame after coasting into a 2-0 lead inside the first half hour courtesy of Casey Maclaren and Peter Dean. Hanworth pulled a goal back on the stroke of half-time from the penalty spot, and despite creating little of note, the equaliser came on the stroke of full-time, also from the penalty spot following a professional foul by Dave Diedhiou who was also dismissed.

The second half and extra time saw an extremely disappointing performance from Hendon, who continually gave the ball away, and their poor performance eventually led to the result they ultimately deserved, defeat.

Posted at 23:25

Tuesday 15 December - 150 up for Jamie

Jamie Busby made his 150th appearance on Saturday afternoon as he came on as a substitute against South Kilburn. Jamie made his debut in April 2006 as we drew 2-2 Maldon Town and has been an increasingly important part of the squad since. We welcome Jamie back from his injury this season, and look forward to many more appearances in green and white.

Posted at 09:35

Saturday 12 December - Greens progress past South Kilburn

On a poor pitch in the Vale Farm Sports Centre next door to their current home, Hendon had to work exceptionall hard to beat an equally hardworking South Kilburn side 3-2. The home side took a surprise lead as the Greens struggled to come to terms with the very surface, Eri Dada sliding the ball home in the 11th minute.

Hendon eventually settled and deservedly equalised in the 22nd minute when James Bent was fouled in the penalty box and he picked himself up to fire the ball home. In the 51st minute both sides were reduced to ten men. Kilburn's Damien Bedierer took exception to a challenge from Kevin Maclaren and headbutted him. Unfortunately Maclaren retaliated with two punches, leaving the referee no option but to send both players off.

Almost immediately from the restart, Hendon took the lead. Just as it looked like the keeper was going to catch the ball, Lubomir Guentchev managed to flick it towards goal where Casey Maclaren was on hand to slam it home. With four minutes to go, James Bent made it 3-1 with a shot that was deflected into the net, and despite South Kilburn scoring through an unfortunate own goal in stoppage time, Hendon held on to progress into the next round.

The next round will be a trip to either Brimsdown Rovers, Redbridge or Hanwell Town. Brimsdown and Redbridge meet in the second round on Wednesday evening, and the winners entertain Hanwell in the third round.

Posted at 16:35

Tuesday 08 December - Middlesex quarter final opponents known

If we are successful in beating Hanworth Villa in the rearranged fixture next week, we will be at home to Northwood in the quarter-finals. Northwood progressed this evening courtesy of a 1-0 win at Hampton & Richmond Borough.

Posted at 21:51

Tuesday 08 December - Hanworth game postponed

Our Middlesex Senior Cup tie at Hanworth Villa this evening has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. The game will now be played next week on Tuesday 15th December. This in turn means that our home league fixture against Canvey Island has been postponed again.

Posted at 11:19

Monday 07 December - Pitch inspection tomorrow

There will be an inspection at Hanworth Villa tomorrow morning ahead of our Middlesex Senior Cup tie. As soon as we get the result of the inspection we will let you know.

Posted at 20:30

Sunday 06 December - Shot shy Hendon beaten again

Hendon were left rueing yet another shot shy performance as they were beaten 3-0 this afternoon by a Kingstonian side who weren't afraid to shoot for goal. The difference between the two sides was undoubtedly that the home side were willing to strike for goal.

After a goalless first half, during which both James Burgess and Bashiru Alimi were fortunate only to be booked after appearing to trade punches, Kingstonian took the lead in the 53rd minute through Carl Wilson-Denis. Bobby Traynor doubled the lead in the 77th minute before completing the scoring six minutes later.

Posted at 17:06

Saturday 05 December - Wes Daly released

Wes Daly was released by the club yesterday, and was expected to sign for Boreham Wood in time to play this afternoon.

Posted at 16:07

Wednesday 02 December - South Kilburn details

We now have details of how to gain entry to the South Kilburn game. Entry is via the main entrance of the Sports Centre at Vale Farm. Full admission is £5 including a programme (we don't have details of concessions). When you go into the centre, state you are there for the South Kilburn game, and they will take your money and direct you to the pitch. There is a narrow paved strip alongside one side of the pitch and very limited bench seating inside the ground.

The bar at Vale Farm will be open as Wembley have a home game kicking off at 3:00.

Posted at 16:57

Wednesday 02 December - Boxing Day kick off time

It has been confirmed this afternoon that our Boxing Day game at Harrow Borough will kick off at 3.00pm.

Posted at 16:37

Tuesday 01 December - Hendon and Horsham draw

Hendon and Horsham drew 1-1 this evening in a game that was marred by a serious injury in the 14th minute to Horsham midfielder Gary Charman. In an incident where he went to head the ball at the same time as James Burgess, the impact resulted in a double fracture to the right cheekbone. The injury resulted in a stoppage of over 20 minutes, and once the game restarted it was the Greens who gained an advantage when Kevin Maclaren found space in front of goal to score.

The equaliser came in controversial fashion in the 67th minute when Kevin Maclaren was ruled to have handled the ball, when it appeared to many in the ground that he had chested the ball. Tom Lyons stepped up to convert the spot kick on his Horsham debut.

All at Hendon would like to wish Gary Charman a speedy recovery from his injury.

Posted at 23:51

Tuesday 01 December - November Snowball Draw

The November draw was held at half-time of tonight's match against Horsham and attracted a record number of balls (185).

First prize of £277.50 went to ball number 107 and second prize of £138.75 to ball number 51.

Thanks to all who support the Snowball Draw - a total of £416.25 goes into Trust funds. This was supplemented by an additional £138.75 as the second prixe winner very kindly opted not to take his prize.

If you'd like to help support the Trust and the club by buying a ball, the cost is £5 per ball per month. A massive 55% goes back as prizes. Full details can be found via the Supporters' Trust website.

Posted at 22:54

Tuesday 01 December - Programmes this evening

Unfortunately the company who have printed our programmes over the past couple of years went out of business last week. As a result, we are unable to produce our normal matchday programme for tonight's game. A small 8 page edition (same format as we produced for the Wingate & Finchley game) is being printed, and will be sold for 50p.

Posted at 10:33

Tuesday 01 December - Horsham: game on

Following an early pitch inspection, the Vale Farm pitch has been passed as fit, and tonight's game will go ahead as planned.

Posted at 09:29