News - August 2015

Monday 31 August - Practice match against Wealdstone tomorrow

We are hosting a practice match tomorrow evening at Silver Jubilee Park against Wealdstone to give returning players and squad players some match time. Kick off will be at 7.30pm and all are welcome to attend.

Posted at 21:15

Monday 31 August - Harrow win Earlsmead derby

The first team put in a disciplined but ultimately fruitless performance this afternoon as they lost 1-0 to landlords Harrow Borough in the first Earlsmead derby of the season.

The pitch had once again been made slick by the morning rain, and the opening exchanges were even. However, as the half went on Harrow looked the more likely to score and they were rewarded when a Hendon defender handled in the area, and Marc Charles-Smith stepped up to convert.

The Greens had plenty of possession in the second half, but found Harrow's defence in fine form restricting them to shots off target. The best chance fell to Mahrez Bettache who saw his effort fly narrowly wide and high of the goal.

Posted at 21:14

Sunday 30 August - Hendon Green & Gold 46 - David Hyde

Today's featured player is the last of the four players to have netted 100 goals in their Hendon career and the single-season goalscoring record-holder - David Hyde.

David Hyde joined Hendon at the start of the 1963-64 season, leaving Enfield along with Roy Sleap and Jimmy Quail. He had the attributes for a forward: strength, pace and one of the most powerful shots in football. He was also a good crosser of the ball and created almost as many goals as he scored. His debut came in the opening league game victory over Clapton and he netted his first goals - a double - on the Tuesday night when Ilford were beaten 7-1. Hendon were scoring goals for fun at the start of their Isthmian life and Dulwich Hamlet were the most harshly treated, conceding 19. David scored three as the Greens triumphed 10-1 at Claremont Road on the second Saturday, although he was outdone by four-goal Gerry O'Rourke. But in the return at Champion Hill, on the Saturday after Christmas, he bagged five in a 9-1 victory.

Almost uniquely that season, in the Isthmian League Hendon scored everything from nil to 10, but didn't win a game 1-0. It was a nearly season, with only the London Senior Cup won - Enfield beaten 1-0 in the final thanks to another O'Rourke goal - but the Greens were runners-up behind Wimbledon. In all David played in all but four matches and scored 37 goals - two fewer than O'Rourke.

However, great the 2014-15 season will end up for Hendon, it won't match 1964-65. The Greens won the Isthmian League championship - after a play-off against Enfield - the Amateur Cup - the era's equivalent of the FA Trophy - the Middlesex Senior Cup, reached the FA Cup first round proper and beat a strong Arsenal team in the London Challenge Cup.

David was at the centre of all the big events for Hendon. His club-record - one that will probably never be beaten - 59 goals, in 54 appearances, included a hat-trick in that memorable 4-3 win at Highbury, the only goal in a 2-1 loss to Port Vale at Vale Park in the FA Cup, two goals in the Amateur Cup Final and the first in the play-off at Dulwich's Champion Hill. Only in the Middlesex Senior Cup final did he miss out - Peter Slade got the only goal - but David grabbed four in an 8-0 win over Hounslow and both in the 2-1 defeat of Enfield in earlier rounds. The eye-catching totals earned David international recognition. He won four England Amateur caps and marked his debut against Wales with four goals.

Neither David, nor Hendon, could match their feats in 1965-66, though things started brightly for both player and team: he netted a hat-trick in the 8-3 opening game victory over Clapton and scored in seven of the first nine Isthmian League matches; the Greens won the first eight but then were held to a 1-1 draw by Wycombe Wanderers. It should be noted that Hendon, as well as playing on every Saturday and in midweek, added two prestigious friendlies to their schedule - an August Bank Holiday game against Whitley Bay for the Will Mather Cup and a game against the England Amateur XI. Maybe the stress of so many games caused Hendon to lose form, but it didn't help that David missed around one-third of the remaining 29 league matches. The Greens finished runners-up in the Isthmian League, two points behind champions Leytonstone. Their only consolation was being the top scorers in the division with 111 goals. After his flying start to the campaign, David's contribution was 'only' 10 in his last 20 League matches - overall he netted 22 times in 40 appearances. He did play in the Amateur Cup final at Wembley in April 1966, but Hendon were beaten 3-1 by Wealdstone. Future Hendon star Bobby Childs netted twice, the Greens' goal came from centre-half Geoff Riddy. One of the cup-ties David missed was the Middlesex Senior Cup semi-final replay against Wealdstone.

At the end of the season, David turned professional and signed for Wimbledon, who had joined the Southern League after winning the 1964 Isthmian League championship. He then moved to Brentwood Town, but returned to Claremont Road in April 1969 playing for the 1965 Amateur Cup winning-team against the then current squad. Later that year, now with Cambridge City, he played against the Greens in an FA Cup fourth qualifying round tie, but could not score as Hendon triumphed 1-0 at Claremont Road.

Joined Hendon: Summer 1963. Left Hendon: Spring 1966

Appearances: 140 (all starts). Goals: 118

Winners' medals won: FA Amateur Cup 1964-65, Isthmian League 1964-65, London Senior Cup 1963-64, Middlesex Senior Cup, 1964-65

Posted at 10:46

Saturday 29 August - Greens let down by poor discipline

The first team let themselves down with poor discipline this afternoon, with Sam Murphy being needlessly sent off for retaliation midway through the second half. Alongside the dismissal, Scott Shulton picked up his fourth booking of the campaign, and his third of the season for dissent, leaving him just one caution away from a suspension.

Sadly, until the red card both sides seemed more intent on trying to do the referee's job rather than trying to play football, which made for a poor spectacle for those in attendance.

The home side took the lead in the 25th minute when Gareth Heath found the back of the net in what was an evenly matched half. After the red card, the Greens dominated possession and played really well, but were unable to find the final ball.

The final nail in the coffin came as the game moved into stoppage time when Patrick Brothers saw his cross from the left wing fly over Joe Wright to ensure that Leiston took the three points to remain top of the table, having dropped just two points so far this season.

If the squad want to ensure they are in the hunt for promotion this season, they need to take a long hard look at their discipline, and concentrate playing football the right way to ensure they return to winning ways against Harrow Borough on Monday afternoon.

Posted at 17:22

Saturday 29 August - It's AFC Sudbury in the FA Cup

We will be travelling to AFC Sudbury in the FA Cup, who ran out 4-0 winners at home to Ware this afternoon. The game will be played on Saturday 12th September, kicking off at 3.00pm.

Posted at 17:13

Saturday 29 August - London Senior Cup draw released

The London Senior Cup draw has been released, and we will begin our defence in the second round at home to Cray Valley Paper Mills. The tie is likely to take place sometime in November or December and the date will be confirmed in due course.

Last season our opponents, who play in the South East Counties League, reached the semi-finals where they lost 1-0 at Tooting & Mitcham United having beaten Tower Hamlets, Metropolitan Police and Wingate & Finchley.

The full second round draw is as follows

Tooting & Mitcham United v Haringey Borough or Erith Town

Harrow Borough v Tower Hamlets or Beckenham Town

Redbridge or Barking v VCD Athletic or Clapton

London Bari or Metropolitan Police v Thamesmead Town or AFC Wimbledon

Greenhouse Sports v Croydon or Welling UNited

Hendon v Cray Valley Paper Mills

Corinthian Casuals or AFC Croydon Athletic v Dulwich Hamlet or Erith & Belvedere

Fisher or Wingate & Finchley v Hanwell Town or Cockfosters

Posted at 10:35

Friday 28 August - League Cup draw

The draw for the second round of the Alan Turvey Trophy sponsored by Robert Dyas has been made, and we have been drawn at home to Kingstonian. The tie will be played on Monday 5th October at Earlsmead.

Chatham Town v Sittingbourne

Corinthian-Casuals v Carshalton Athletic

Dorking Wanderers v Burgess Hill Town

Dulwich Hamlet v Staines Town

Enfield Town v Cheshunt

Farnborough or Lewes v Three Bridges

Faversham Town v Folkestone Invicta

Grays Athletic v East Thurrock United

Great Wakering Rovers v Thurrock or Aveley

Hendon v Kingstonian

Maldon & Tiptree v Leiston

Needham Market or Heybridge Swifts v Soham Town Rangers or Brightlingsea Regent

Tonbridge Angels v Hastings United

Tooting & Mitcham United v Metropolitan Police

Waltham Abbey or AFC Hornchurch v Wingate & Finchley

Walton Casuals v Walton & Hersham

Posted at 10:56

Thursday 27 August - League Statement - Farnborough FC

The Ryman League have issued a statement regarding Farnborough FC following an Appeal Board hearing that took place today.

The statement says "The Appeal Board of the League met today (Thursday) and heard a charge against Farnborough FC that it had varied the terms of the CVA and failed to provide notice of the application to the League.

"The Board decided that the appropriate sanction was to apply Rule 14 B.1 so that the Club will be relegated by one Step unless by the time of the 2016 AGM it has paid £1,254,263 to the creditors.

"The Club is therefore free to commence its fixtures on Saturday 29 August at home to Lewes FC."

Posted at 18:25

Wednesday 26 August - Under 18s earn debut win

Our new under 18 side came away with a comfortable 3-0 win in their Ryman Youth League debut against Aldershot Town this evening.

In front of a crowd of just over 50, the young Greens put on an excellent team performance, with Joe Patrick, Kareem Bandaogo and Kris Gecaj on the scoresheet. Jeremie Agholor and Junior Okeyke who both appeared for the first team in the friendly at St Neots Town were involved in the game this evening.

A more detailed report can be found by going to the youth team's own news page, which can be found by .

Next up for the squad is a trip to Bedfont Sports on Thursday 3rd September.

Posted at 22:41

Tuesday 25 August - Under 18s to make league debut tomorrow

Our new U18 side will be making their Ryman Youth League debut at Silver Jubilee Park against Aldershot Town tomorrow evening.

The game will kick off at 7.45pm, and admission is £3 for all adults, and £1 for under 16s.

We hope that some of our supporters will be able to come along and see our youngsters in action.

Posted at 17:40

Tuesday 25 August - Coach seats available to Leiston

There are coach seats available to Saturday's game at Leiston, priced at £12 each and will be picking up from Silver Jubilee Park and South Mimms Services.

Any supporters wishing to travel on the coach should email the club on by 10pm on Thursday at the latest to secure their seat. Departure times will be advised upon receipt of your email.

Posted at 17:33

Tuesday 25 August - Gary critical of squad following defeat

Gary McCann was critical of his team's showing against East Thurrock United last night. He said, "I was very disappointed to lose the game, especially so late in the contest. I thought we didn't deserve to lose, but anything more than a draw would have felt a little unjust.

"It is always a kick in the teeth to lose to a late goal, but some defeats can be a wake-up call and I hope this will be one of them.

"I was very critical of the boys in the dressing room at half-time. East Thurrock were better than us all over the pitch. Too many of our players under-performed.

"It took us half an hour to come to terms with the pitch, but we were much better when we equalised and in the second half. The winning goal was the result of terrible defending and I have not said that much this season.

"I am not going to use this as an excuse for the defeat, but this observation played its part. We were victims of the Farnborough situation. I don't blame East Thurrock at all, but they sat at home on Saturday without a game while we had a long trip to Needham Market, then played on a baking hot day.

"Some of the players left home at 9.00 on Saturday morning and didn't get back until 9.00 in the evening, then they had one day's rest before going off to work, then straight to football. This was one of the reasons I decided to re-energise the team after Saturday's demanding game and East Thurrock's enforced rest.

"Also the difference in the two pitches was massive. On Saturday, it was slow, thick and very lush; at Earlsmead, because of all the rain, the pitch was lightning quick, and the surface was greasy and slippery. Too many players lost their footing, but this was also due to the footwear they chose to use.

"We now require a positive reaction from the team."

Posted at 17:31

Monday 24 August - Greens defeated by East Thurrock

The first team's long league unbeaten run came to an end this evening as East Thurrock United won 2-1 at Earlsmead. The last time the Greens lost in the league was on 31st January at Peacehaven & Telscombe, since when the squad had remained unbeaten in 21 league fixtures. It is also the first home league defeat since the end of August 2014, when Enfield Town were the victors.

The Rocks took the lead in the 25th minute through Lewis Smith, before Sam Murphy equalised from the penalty spot eleven minutes later. The winner game deep into stoppage time when Smith found the back of the net again.

Next up for the Greens is the long trip to Leiston on Saturday afternoon, when they will be keen to ensure they bounce back from tonight's disappointment.

Posted at 21:44

Monday 24 August - FA Cup Draw released

The FA Cup draw has been made today and we will travel to the winners of the Preliminary Round tie between AFC Sudbury and Ware.

AFC Sudbury and Ware are playing their tie on Saturday afternoon, and the First Qualifying Round takes place two weeks later on Saturday 12th September.

Posted at 14:15

Sunday 23 August - Gary delighted with performance

Gary McCann could not hide his delight at the performance. He said, "I am delighted with the way that we played and the result. I thought it was a performance of real quality and we dominated the match throughout.

"It was a baking hot day and I made it clear to the players before the game that it was our remit to keep possesssion and we did it brilliantly, especially in the 15 or so minutes before half time.

"Our half time talk was to emphasise to the players that we had to keep our discipline and concentration. To also be ruthless when the chances were presented to us. In that period at the end of the first half I thought we should have been more than two goals to the good.

"What pleased me was the performance of every player, including Joe Wright who made two really good saves. I was delighted with the way he reacted after making that save from a header late in the second half."

Posted at 21:40

Sunday 23 August - Hendon Green & Gold 45 - Richard Wilmot

The player today is one whose bravery was maybe greater than any of the recent era, goalkeeper Richard Wilmot.

We first came across Richard Wilmot when he played for Hitchin Town in the Southern Counties Floodlit Youth League. He was one of the most affable goalkeepers around, and he had talent, too, as he was signed by Mansfield Town. It didn't work out for him and he returned to the south Midlands and Hitchin, though he also had a spell at Stevenage Borough

He was an excellent 'keeper, on more than one occasion earning points for his team with top performances against the Greens. Very tall and athletic, the nickname "Stretch" seemed entirely appropriate. Gary McCann's injury meant he was unavailable at the start of the 2000–01 season and Andy Iga lost form, so manager Frank Murphy hunted around for a goalkeeper. Hitchin had three and they considered Richard to be their third-choice, so he came to Hendon for a month. Richard was also one of three police officers in the Greens' line-up - probationer Jon Daly and Paul Towler, both in the Met - and Richard, based in Stevenage.

Richard did well enough in the first month for the loan to be extended for a second month and then a third - the maximum permitted under the loan rules of the time. A trip to Carshalton was the last game of the loan spell, but it proved to be his final game for quite a while. Already trailing 1-0, Richard raced of his line to deal with danger from Jamie Pace and the two collided. He has subsequently revealed that he knew immediately that his arm was badly injured - probably broken - but he stayed on the pitch. Think about this for a moment: a goalkeeper, in the final game of a loan spell, breaks his arm and refuses to come off. It was 100 percent insanity, 100 percent loyalty and 100 percent bravery. By half-time, the pain was too much, so he was packed off to hospital to get the break confirmed, while Bontcho Guentchev took over in goal, and Hendon came back to win 2-1. Come the end of the season, and although Gary was back playing, he had to be nursed through games and could not play three times a week. Richard was released and returned to Hendon for the final few weeks. Unfortunately, he then injured his groin, so Hendon finished the season with two crocked goalkeepers - both, semi-mobile at best, had a half in a loss at Gravesend & Northfleet.

Fast forward to 2006 and Gary, now the manager, was looking for an experienced goalkeeper, who could look after a very inexperienced team in front of him. The Greens had been reprieved from relegation during the summer and the team went through a difficult few months to start the season, failing to win any of the first 11 League games, and they had just two points on the board before they went to Walton & Hersham and won 2-0. It was the start of a remarkable turnaround. Richard was inspiring in goal, almost single-handedly defying some teams as the Greens found ways to snatch wins and points. Not only were his performances frequently top-quality, he was respected and trusted in equal amounts by the defenders in front of him and their performances also improved. Unsurprisingly, Richard's form was recognised by the fans and he finished the season with the Supporters Association Player of the Year in 2007. Hendon, in the end, finished just below half-way, 19 points clear of Worthing, who were the highest-placed Ryman League Premier Division club relegated. Richard was a League ever-present and missed only one cup-tie in what was to be his only full season for Hendon.

He celebrated his 38th birthday early in 2007-08 season, but 20+ years of goalkeeping were catching with up him and injuries took longer to heal, and he played in only 33 games. Richard was in goal, however, for the London Senior Cup final at Imber Court when Tooting & Mitcham United won 3-2, so he ended his Hendon career without any medals. He wasn't in the plans for the following season, but Luke Blackmore was injured in the second game, Joe Welch played three times and Berkley Laurencin four before Richard was recalled. He played in the final game at Claremont Road, but appeared only 10 times all season with Will Viner the main goalkeeper. Richard went on to play for AFC Sudbury before joining Barton Rovers where he eventually became part of their management team, leaving at the end of last season.

Joined Hendon: August 2000 (loan), March 2001, Summer 2006. Left Hendon: November 2000 (loan ended), May 2001, Autumn 2008

Appearances: 114 (all starts)

Supporters Association Player of the Year: 2006-07

Posted at 08:38

Saturday 22 August - Comfortable win at Needham Market

The first team had a successful first visit to Needham Market this afternoon as they came away 3-0 winners.

It was another professional performance from the Greens, and they took the lead early on when Leon Smith latched on to a long ball to score. Midway through the first half Aaron Morgan took advantage of a poor backpass to double the lead.

The final goal came in the 72nd minute when Scott Shulton fired the ball just inside the post from around 25 yards. Joe Wright was called into action late on to preserve his clean sheet as he made an excellent save from a looping header.

Posted at 16:58

Wednesday 19 August - Gary pleased with Molesey win

Gary McCann took many positives from last night's win at Molesey. He said, "I am pleased to have got through. We were very good in the first half and could have gone much further ahead than 2-0.

"And while it was still 2-0, Molesey felt they could get back into the game. They really came at us, but Melvin Minter was outstanding in goal for us.

"I could not have asked for more from him. He is going to be pushing Joe Wright all the way. It's always important to have healthy competition in all positions and Melv's performance would have made all take note.

"It was also good to get more players back. Others will be back in training later this week and this will only make us stronger."

Posted at 15:16

Wednesday 19 August - Hendon Green & Gold 43 - Lubomir Guentchev

Lubomir Guentchev was one of the reasons his father Bontcho played for Hendon. A few weeks after scoring for CSKA Sofia against Atletico Madrid in the 1998-99 UEFA Cup, Bontcho decided to return to Cricklewood, where his wife Sophia and sons Iavor and Lubo lived, as the boys were at a Premier League football club's academy. Lubo went to Ipswich Town to be part of their academy, and made three appearances out on loan at Lowestoft Town as a teenager. It didn't work out for him in Suffolk, or at FC Union in Berlin, so he returned to London, where he became a graphic design student.

The third Guentchev to make his debut (Iavor played in the last match of the previous season) Lubo's first Hendon game was as a substitute on the opening day of the 2007-08 season a goalless draw at Heybridge Swifts. A free-spirited footballer, the strict rigours of the Isthmian League meant he would often be used a substitute - indeed more than one-third of his career 166 appearances would be off the bench. But Lubo at full tilt was a joy to watch. A will-o-the-wisp midfielder, in days gone by he would have been an out-and-out winger, Lubo could beat defenders inside or outside, and he had a knack for spectacular goals.

Bontcho was back at Hendon as a player-coach, so most team-sheets contained at least one member of the Guentchev family during the 2007-08 season. The three never actually played a competitive match together, but it could not have been closer. In the Hendon vs Chelmsford City match on 12 April 2008 (Kezie Ibe was in the Clarets' line-up), Lubo started in the Greens' 2-1 victory, and Iavor replaced Ben Hudell for the final 15 minutes. As the game moved into stoppage time, Bontcho stood on the touchline waiting for the ball to go out of play. It didn't and the final whistle went before Bontcho made what would have been his only appearance of the season.

The following season must have been frustrating for Lubo because although he appeared in 31 League matches, he was a substitute 21 times and only 19 of his 44 appearances came as a starter. It was also Lubo's least prolific season in terms of goalscoring, netting just three times. It should have been four goals, however, because he should also have had the honour of scoring Hendon's last ever goal at Claremont Road. He applied the final touch to a Dave Diedhiou cross in the game against Wealdstone on 20 September 2008, but an errant assistant referee's flag - Lubo had been three or four yards behind the crosser when the ball was played across the six yard box - ruled out the goal. Hendon ended the 2008-09 campaign in the London Senior Cup final against Croydon Athletic at Kingsmeadow Stadium, and although he didn't get on during the 120 minutes, Lubo still picked up a winners medal after the Greens won 3–1 on penalties.

Fast forward 12 months and Lubo scored what was probably his finest Hendon goal in the season-ending 3-2 victory over AFC Hornchurch at Vale Farm. His lob from an acute angled sailed 15-20 feet over Darren Behcet;s head, bounced on the goalline and rose into the roof of the net. It was an outrageous piece of skill. And it wasn't the first time Lubo had picked on AFC Hornchurch because, in the reverse fixture at Bridge Avenue, he had scored a spectacular hat-trick in a pulsating 4-4 draw. The goal at Vale Farm was his ninth goal of the season, but he appeared in less than two-thirds of Hendon's matches and had a strike-rate better than one-in-four.

Lubo would have bettered his career best marks for Hendon if he had stayed for the whole of the 2010–11 season. Matching his career highs of 44 appearances and nine goals, Lowestoft Town signed him just before the transfer deadline in late March. Lubo's final Hendon game was away at Folkestone Invicta, when he replaced Diedhiou for the final 20-odd minutes. It should also be noted that he came on with Hendon trailing 1=0, but he and Darren Currie made a massive difference as the Greens rallied to win 2-1. It also says an awful lot for Lubo that, despite having already signed for the Trawlerboys, he still went down to Thamesmead when Hendon won a London Senior Cup tie later in the week tie to say goodbye to his former team-mates. Lubo spent just over a year in Suffolk before returning home to Bulgaria.

Joined Hendon: Summer 2007. Left Hendon: March 2011

Appearances: 166 (109 starts, 57 as substitute). Goals: 29

Winners medal won: London Senior Cup: 2008-09

The 44th entry in the series - Tony Jennings - was posted earlier in the summer as a tribute following his death.

Posted at 09:53

Tuesday 18 August - League Cup defence begins with a win

The first team began their defence of the Robert Dyas League Cup with a 2-0 win at Molesey this evening.

The first game between the clubs in 19 years saw the Greens take control of the game in the first half, taking the lead when Sam Murphy let fly from 20 yards in the 28th minute. Leon Smith doubled the lead ten minutes later with a fine curling effort beyond the diving keeper.

The star man in the second half was debutant keeper Melvin Minter, who made two superb saves to keep Molesey out, whilst at the other end Sam Flegg headed a corner wide, and Mahrez Bettache saw his effort smothered by the keeper.

The draw for the second round is yet to be made, and we'll announce it on the website as soon as it has been released by the league.

Posted at 23:27

Monday 17 August - Gary frustrated to see victory snatched away

Gary McCann was unsurprisingly frustrated to see the victory snatched away so late against Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday afternoon. "There is an element of disappointment with the late equaliser," he said.

"I thought we had done a superb job in controlling their danger men. Our back four, and the full-backs Sam Flegg and Ollie Sprague especially, were outstanding.

"I was pleased with the way that we kept to our plan throughout the game. We had to play with more discipline and let them have the ball, but it was only in the areas we wanted them to have it.

"Once again the resilience and commitment of the players was magnificent. Dulwich are one of the favourites for the title along with us. The way we matched them we were certainly worth the point we won.

"We have still got a lot of key members unavailable, but they will be back imminently, and we will be much stronger."

Posted at 12:35

Sunday 16 August - Dulwich Hamlet highlights and Gary McCann interview

Exclusive match highlights with commentary of yesterday's 1-1 draw against Dulwich Hamlet are now available from Football Exclusives.

You can watch the highlights by signing up to a Premium Membership at Football Exclusives for just £5 a month, £2 of which comes directly back to the club.

The highlights are available by cclicking here.

There is also post-match reaction from Gary McCann, which is available by simply signing up to a FREE membership. The interview is available by clicking here.

Football Exclusives are Hendon's Official Filming Partner.

Posted at 20:53

Saturday 15 August - All square at Earlsmead

The first team put in another very good performance as they played out a 1-1 draw against Dulwich Hamlet in what was a closely fought game.

The first half was goalless, with chances at a premium, and the deadlock wasn't broken until the 65th minute when Scott Shulton fired home from an acute angle.

The equaliser came two minutes from time when Ashley Carew slotted home a penalty after Joe Wright had brought down a Dulwich attacker in the box.

The result means that the Greens maintain their unbeaten start to the season as they now look ahead to opening their league cup defence at Molesey on Tuesday evening.

Posted at 19:31

Saturday 15 August - PDF Programmes 2015/16

If you are unable to get to games or want programmes that will not get dog-eared and take up space, our PDF Programmes could be the answer.

For just £28 to cover the season, you will receive a PDF version of each programme issued throughout the season - for all home league and cup games. Each programme will be sent after the game has been played.

Whilst we endeavour to send them within 48 hours , some do take longer depending how quickly they are prepared. Please allow up to one week after each game. You will also receive a PDF version of the Gary McCann Testimonial programme as an extra item.

You can pay by PayPal or direct into the Hendon Football Club Supporters Association bank account by clicking the add to cart button on the HFCSA website. If you wish to pay by cheque, please make the cheque payable to Hendon FCSA and send it to Eddie Edwards, 18 Sidney Boyd Court, West End Lane, London, NW6 4ZZ. In any case, please email Eddie on to confirm your request.

Posted at 09:31

Friday 14 August - Hendon Green & Gold 42 - Curtis Warmington

"Fans' favourite" sums up today's featured player, as would defender, captain, and player-coach - Curtis Warmington.

Curtis Warmington, it would be fair to say, wore his heart on his sleeve, and his honesty, passion and desire made him a fans' favourite pretty much everywhere he played. A very strange statistic of Curtis's Hendon career, which comprised six seasons, was that he never reached even 40 appearances in a season, but did have three with 39 and one with 37.

He was a midfielder when he left the West Ham United academy, but by the time he made his name in the Isthmian League it was as a defender. And, it must be said, few defenders have been as solid and uncompromising as Curtis - certainly in the modern era - and it brought him significant success in a career that lasted almost 20 years. His clubs, before joining Hendon for the first time in 1993, included Dulwich Hamlet, Yeovil Town and Carshalton Athletic. Curtis did not make his Hendon debut until the middle of September, coming on as a substitute for Bob Dowie in a League Cup loss at Boreham Wood. His first start came in midfield, at home to Heybridge Swifts in the FA Cup and he scored his first goal, too, in a 5-2 victory.

The turmoil of December 1993 to January 1994 meant a very different Hendon finished the campaign. Dowie was player-manager, Curtis was captain, and they were centre-back partners. Dowie's four months in charge ended with glory in the Full Members Cup Final, a 2-1 victory over Wokingham Town at Marlow - current assistant manager Freddie Hyatt was on the losing side - and it was Curtis who lifted the trophy. Pretty much all of the squad left in the summer of 1994, Curtis included, and he spent time at Enfield and Walton & Hersham before returning to Claremont Road to play for Neil Price. The highlight of the season was a run to the first round proper of the FA Cup and Curtis played in the 2-0 defeat to Cardiff City, thanks to the Greens arranging a Middlesex Senior Cup tie two days before the big game, to allow him to complete a suspension.

Frank Murphy took over as manager in March 1997 and helped the Greens avoid relegation. It would be fair to say that the central defence at the start of Frank's first full season was experienced, the four main centre-backs, Curtis, Steve Bateman, Richard Nugent and Tony Kelly had an aggregate age of 131. It did mean that they all were a little frail, with only Kelly (51 - despite chronic knee issues) reaching a half-century of appearances. The 1997-98 season was memorable on so many levels, especially the FA Cup first round proper victory over Leyton Orient and the Full Members Cup Final success against Basingstoke at Chesham. The second goal of that glorious evening, the one that gave Hendon the lead, was reminiscent of Tommy Smith in the 1977 European Cup Final - a veteran centre-half storming into the penalty area and smashing a header into the net - only this time it was Curtis who grabbed the glory.

The last goal of Curtis's Hendon career came the following season, and it was another key one, a shot from the edge of the penalty area at New Lodge, Billericay, then the home of Chelmsford City, and a 3-2 FA Cup qualifying round replay victory, completing a comeback from 2-0 down. The Greens went on to face Notts County in the first round proper, but Curtis was an unused substitute in the first game and the replay. At the end of that season, Curtis was captain when Hendon met Worthing in the Full Members Cup Final, against Worthing at Sutton United's Gander Green Lane. Matt Maran's goal was enough to allow Curtis to lift the trophy for the second time as Hendon skipper. It was also the second trophy of the year for him as Hendon had beaten Wembley at Enfield in the Middlesex Senior Cup Final a month earlier.

Frank Murphy appointed Curtis as player-coach for the 1999-2000 season and the additional responsibilities cut into his playing time, with just 22 appearances. Although he was involved in the three qualifying rounds of the FA Cup, he was simply the coach against Bath City and Blackpool. Curtis turned 36 during the weather-blighted 2000-01 season. He was very much a coach as opposed to player-coach, as proved by his three starts all coming in early rounds of cup competitions. His only other appearance came in the penultimate match of the season, a 5-0 loss at home to Aldershot Town, the second of three games on consecutive days (with two more left unplayed). Frank left after the season, and both Curtis and Dave applied for the job. When Dave was appointed, Curtis quickly moved to join Frank who took over at Carshalton Athletic. He later managed Whyteleafe and, last season, was assistant manager back at Carshalton.

Joined Hendon: September 1993, September 1997. Left Hendon: Summer 1994, Summer 2001

Appearances: 180 (151 starts, 29 as substitute). Goals: 5

Winners medals won: Full Members Cup 1993-94, 1997-98, 1998-99; Middlesex Senior Cup: 1998-99

Posted at 08:56

Tuesday 11 August - Enfield Town highlights and Gary McCann interview

Exclusive match highlights with commentary of our first victory of the season against Enfield Town are now available from Football Exclusives.

You can watch the highlights by signing up to a Premium Membership at Football Exclusives for just £5 a month, £2 of which comes directly back to the club.

The highlights are available by clicking here.

There is also post-match reaction from Gary McCann, which is available by simply signing up to a FREE membership. The interview is available by clicking here.

Football Exclusives are Hendon's Official Filming Partner.

Posted at 16:56

Tuesday 11 August - Gary's thoughts on opening games

Gary McCann was satisfied with the point at Grays on Saturday, and very happy with the win over Enfield Town yesterday evening. Looking back first at the Grays game he said, "The performance really pleased me and I couldn't have asked for more from the players. I want to single out the centre-backs, Ryan Wharton and Luke Tingey. They didn't even meet until Thursday evening and they made a good pairing.

"It was a pleasing point and it could quite easily have been more. After they equalised, Grays really came at us, but we held them. The resilience in the side really showed itself, and after a difficult 10 minutes we got back into the game.

"It was the culmination of a very difficult week. We knew we would be missing a few players, but to be without 14 and having to sign so many players just before the match was very difficult for everyone. We didn't even have a team of outfield players last Monday.

"The players will be coming back over the next few games, but it will be a struggle."

Then looking back at last night's win over Enfield Town he said, "I am delighted to have won the game because it puts the ghost of the past three seasons to bed. I didn't even mention our League record against them to the players before the game because so few of them had been involved in any of them.

"It was pretty hairy at times and it was a draining game for us on the sideline. But there were traces of our performances at the end of last season. It may have been a new set of players, but it was the same level of commitment and resilience from them and, as with Saturday, our back-four was magnificent.

"We limited them to very little and made sure that Joe Wright had very little to do. In fact, I think Ollie Sprague's back-header was the only real save he had to make.

"I have no complaints about Aaron Morgan’s red card. It was a moment of frustration from him."

Posted at 15:47

Monday 10 August - Ten men bury Enfield bogey

Hendon buried their league bogey against Enfield Town with a 1-0 win this evening, despite playing for much of the second half with ten men. The result was the first time in seven attempts that the Greens have beaten the Towners in a league match - with their visitors having won the previous six league meetings.

The only goal came in the 22nd minute when Aaron Morgan converted from the penalty spot having been fouled by Claudiu Vilcu.

Unfortunately, it was Morgan who was needlessly sent off early in the second half for an off the ball incident with Vilcu, but the Greens held firm despite plenty of Enfield pressure - with Joe Wright not having a save to make.

The result moves the Greens up to second in the table overnight.

Posted at 23:58

Monday 10 August - Hendon Green & Gold 41 - Bobby Wilson

The player featured today is a man who scored loads of goals for Hendon in the 1960s and early 70s, Bobby Wilson.

Bobby Wilson, the Hendon football player, was definitely the second-best known sportsman in the borough when he began his Hendon career. Finchley resident Bobby Wilson, nine years his senior, had spent many years as Britain's Number 1 tennis player and was a seven-times Grand Slam quarter-finalist. Our Bobby joined the club from Feltham in 1967, having been a junior at Brentford. He made his debut on the opening day of the 1967–68 campaign, away to Dulwich Hamlet, and he scored the third of five Hendon goals in a 5-0 win. He was prolific at the start of the season, scoring eight times in the first nine matches - and failed to register in only two of them - and was on 11 goals by mid-October. He finished the season with 19 goals from a team-high 45 appearances, but was a dozen behind top-scorer Tony Harding. It was a disappointing cup season for the Greens, who despite losing only 1-0 to West Ham in the London Challenge Cup, were out of everything by the beginning of March.

For the following season, Bobby was the focus of the Hendon attack, and delivered 25 goals in 48 appearances, the most prolific of his four Hendon seasons. Although the league form was disappointing, there was silverware at the end of the campaign season as Hendon beat Dagenham in the London Senior Cup final. Bobby appeared in all five ties and scored in the 4-0 win over Hounslow at the start of the run. But Bobby was not the out-and-out centre-forward in the style of Harding and although he scored all those goals, the Greens were not as dangerous in front of goal. At the end of the season, Bobby received representative honours in the form of selection for the famous Middlesex Wanderers touring team.

The striking issue was sorted out for the 1969-70 season with the arrival of John Baker - but Bobby had an injury-hit campaign and played in only 24 of 38 League matches. His goal tally in the league was also down to just nine, but he scored the same number in 21 cup ties. Amazingly, his 18 goals were good enough only for joint-fourth on the Hendon scoring charts. Baker was on 26, Peter Anderson on 24 and Rod Haider with 19 all bettered his total; Paul Collett matched it. To put this into perspective, Hendon's five top goalscorers in all competitions scored 105 goals between them. It didn't translate into much in the way of success as Hendon finished fifth in the Isthmian League, a dozen points behind champions Enfield when there were only two points for a win. In cup competitions, Hendon didn't reach any finals, but did make it to the second round of the FA Cup, a run which saw the Greens net 21 goals including seven in a replay against Rainham - in which Bobby scored twice - and five in the first round proper against Carshalton Athletic. Hendon's problem was winning cup ties at the first attempt, though a 2-2 at home to a strong Millwall team in the London Challenge Cup was laudable. Four other ties needed replays to resolve them, and the same malaise was to be found in the league as Hendon recorded 12 draws in 38 outings - only Ilford with 15 enjoyed parity more often.

Bobby's final season was the one before the great run of success in the 1970s. Under new manager John Evans, Hendon tightened up their defence, and reduced their Isthmian League goals against from 44 to 37. They upped their goals tally, too, 77 to 81, but the numbers that really mattered were disappointing, with a sixth-place finish and one fewer win and draw than in 1969-70. Bobby did win his second Hendon medal, albeit a Middlesex Senior Cup runners-up one as the Greens lost 1-0 and 2-0 to Enfield in the two-leg final for a 3–0 aggregate loss. Bobby played in the FA Cup first round 2-0 loss at home to Football League side Aldershot and scored the only goal of the Middlesex Cup quarter-final victory over Hayes at Claremont Road. He scored 18 times in 42 appearances, his final goal - the 80th in four seasons - came at the beginning of May 1971, a 1-0 victory at home to Corinthian Casuals. His strike rate would be eye-opening in today's football, a goal every 2.25 games, but it was not that unusual in his time.

Evans' rebuilding saw the arrival of John Connell and Tony Bass to join Baker up front, so Bobby decided to move on. He joined Kingstonian, but his time there was very short and he moved to Feltham and Hayes all before the end of October 1971. Business commitments limited Bobby's time at Church Road, and although an end-of-season review suggested he had "star quality", it took some spotting because he played in just six games, and scored three times.

Joined Hendon: Summer 1967. Left Hendon: Summer 1971

Appearances: 180 (all starts). Goals: 80

Winners medal won: London Senior Cup 1968-69

Posted at 08:13

Saturday 08 August - Charlie Goode scores on Scunthorpe debut

Charlie Goode, who left the club to join Scunthorpe United during the summer, made a scoring debut this afternoon.

However, it was in a losing cause as his new side went down to a 2-1 defeat at Burton Albion in League One.

Charlie came on as a 38th minute substitute for Niall Canavan, and his goal was a stoppage time consolation.

We are delighted to see that Charlie has made his debut today, and we are sure that it is the first of many appearances he'll make.

Posted at 17:34

Saturday 08 August - Greens open with a draw

The first team opened their league campaign with a 1-1 draw at Grays Athletic this afternoon.

Despite having 14 players missing for various reasons, it was the Greens who took the lead in the 16th minute through Aaron Morgan.

The equaliser came midway through the second half when Sam Flegg scored an own goal.

Next up is a home game against Enfield Town on Monday evening at Earlsmead, kick off 7:45pm.

Posted at 17:01

Saturday 08 August - Four more join the squad

With the squad severely depleted this afternoon, Gary McCann has added four more players to the squad in the past couple of days.

14 players are unavailable for this afternoon's game at Grays for various reasons including injury, holiday and suspension.

Joining from Bury Town is experienced midfielder Russell Short, who appeared in the Charity Shield game at Maidstone last weekend, whilst Luke Tingey is a young defender who was released by Milton Keynes Dons in the summer. The third brand new face is Charlie Kuehn, a defender who is a member of the England 6-a-side squad.

The other signing is a well known face at Hendon in defender Ryan Wharton, who has been with Royston Town since he last left the club.

Posted at 14:55

Friday 07 August - Greens sign deal with Football Exclusives

We are delighted to announce Football Exclusives are our new official filming partners for the upcoming season. They will be providing extended match highlights with live commentary from every home league game plus selected away matches throughout the campaign.

Last season, the Football Exclusives cameras captured four games involving the Greens including the Robert Dyas League Cup Final win over Grays Athletic, the Ryman League Premier Division Play-Off Final defeat to Margate, as well as league matches away at Dulwich Hamlet and Hampton & Richmond Borough. Football Exclusives also provided the footage that enabled us to get Aaron Morgan's red card against Margate overturned.

Hendon fans will be able to view the highlights at once they have a signed up for a Premium Membership which costs just £5 a month, with £2 of that fee going back to the club.

Following last season's impressive campaign, Football Exclusives look forward to covering matches at the Earlsmead Stadium.

Posted at 18:53

Friday 07 August - Club Statement

Casey and Kevin Maclaren's appeals were heard by the FA at Wembley Stadium today. The outcome was that their appeals were dismissed and the original suspensions will stand.

To confirm the suspensions, both players are suspended from all football activities, Casey until 1st February 2016 and Kevin until 1st August 2016.

Posted at 17:04

Thursday 06 August - It all starts again on Saturday!

It's less than three months since the disappointment of the play-off final defeat to Margate, but the league season starts again on Saturday afternoon.

The squad are going into the new season determined to build on last season - the most successful for many years - and go one better and secure the title.

As supporters will have noticed, the vast majority of last season's squad have agreed to stay with us, meaning that the continuity built up over the last couple of years will continue, and should make it easier for the new players to slot in.

Our first game is away to Grays Athletic, who once again are ground-sharing at Aveley. Supporters will remember that we played Grays twice towards the end of the season, beating them in the Robert Dyas (Isthmian) League Cup final at Whyteleafe, and then again in the league a few days later.

Then on Monday evening, our first home game is against our good friends and local rivals Enfield Town, before entertaining Dulwich Hamlet a week on Saturday.

Season tickets are still available - full details can be found on our admission page (under the Club Info tab) as well as the many sponsorship opportunities.

We look forward to seeing you at games throughout the season - whether you are there for all of them, or you are only able to get to one or two - and please get behind the squad as support them fully in their bid to go one better.

Posted at 19:36

Wednesday 05 August - Hendon Green & Gold 40 - Dave Diedhiou

The player featured today is a current member of the squad, the last Hendon player ever to score at Claremont Road, Dave Diedhiou.

Dave Diedhiou was 19, and a recent migrant from Senegal in West Africa, when he joined Hendon in the summer of 2008, having previously played for Middlesex County League Willesden Constantine. Dave made his debut, coming on as an 86th-minute substitute against Sutton United at Gander Green Lane. A month later, on 20 September 2008, Dave wrote himself into the Hendon record books, though in a very sad way. His first goal for the Greens, midway through the second half of a 4-1 loss to Wealdstone, would be the last one scored by a Hendon player at Claremont Road (he also netted the last disallowed goal at Claremont Road - had it stood it would have made the score 3-2).

Dave spent most of that first season on a dual registration arrangement with Wembley, so - although playing in the first match of the London Senior Cup run that season (a penalty-shoot-out victory over Bromley at Hayes Lane) - he was not involved in the Final victory against Croydon Athletic. A strong, physical presence, Dave has suffered for being so good in many different positions, in both defence and midfield, and this has probably hurt his career because until last season he never played more than 47 matches in a season and in seven campaigns - including the current one - almost a quarter of his appearances have been as a substitute, but for a defender/midfielder his strike rate is very good, a rate of a goal every 8.5 games.

In 2009-10, Dave was regular member of the squad and made 45 appearances, but it was a season of struggle for the Greens, with no cup success either. The following year was a different story; there was a trip to the FA Cup first round and a run to the London Senior Cup final. Dave missed half of the season, but was back for the London semi-final, when he scored the winning goal against AFC Wimbledon (who were battling for a Conference Premier playoff berth) at Kingsmeadow. Sadly the final turned out to be disappointing - a 3-1 loss to Wingate & Finchley. But, in just 28 appearances, Dave scored five times, his second best return for the Greens.

Hendon enjoyed their best season for many years in 2011-12. Aided by veterans, such as Darren Currie, Isaiah Rankin and, briefly, Frank Sinclair, together with new coach Junior Lewis, the Greens played some fantastic football and went all the way to win the London Senior Cup, giving Dave his first winners medal. The team performance in crushing Kingstonian 2-0 at Imber Court, Metropolitan Police was outstanding, as had been the semi-final victory over AFC Wimbledon, who were now a Football League club. As proof of his versatility, Dave was at right-back in the semi-final and in the centre of midfield in the final. Despite a flying finish to the campaign, Hendon missed out on the playoffs by three points and two places.

Dave missed much of the first part of the 2012-13 season, and played little part in the run to the FA Cup first round, though he was an unused substitute in the narrow and heart-breaking defeat at League Two Aldershot Town. In the Ryman League, however, with Dave absent, Hendon struggled hugely and they would have gone bottom had they not beaten Thurrock in mid-December. In the second half of the season - during which time Hendon played two-thirds of their Ryman League fixtures, Dave was back and went on to play in 33 matches, though his goal return was down to just two goals.

2013-14 was Dave's best for Hendon, both in terms of appearances and goals. He appeared in 47 matches and contributed nine goals, including the last one of the season against Margate. But if he had he been able to convert one more chance in that game, he would have been the fourth Greens player to reach double figures, along with Jefferson Louis, Leon Smith and Anthony Thomas.

Dave's continued importance to the team might have been best illustrated by the defeat at Dorchester Town in this season's FA Cup - Dave was sick and the Greens performance was lack-lustre in the 1-0 defeat. He scored only five goals last season and the one he scored against Leiston was the perfect example of all Dave best attributes: surprising speed, great strength, excellent anticipation and a magnificent technique. When Dave Diedhiou is fit and playing well, Hendon are much harder to beat.

Joined Hendon: Summer 2008

Appearances : 254. Goals: 29

Winners medal won: London Senior Cup 2011-12, 2014-15. Isthmian League Cup 2014-15

Posted at 17:36

Monday 03 August - Hendon Green & Gold 39 - Uche Egbe

The subject of this feature by David Ballheimer is a player who, in his debut season, appeared for the Under-18s, reserves and first team, Uche Egbe.

Uche Egbe's first appearance for the first-team came in a mid-season friendly in January/February 1989. He had just turned 18, and had earned his call-up by scoring a hatful of goals for Hendon's Under-18s and reserve teams - and even more for his Sunday team, Barnet Youth, coached by the Greens' midweek youth team boss Jack Fisk. I remember nothing about the match, but I do remember watching Uche come into the bar after the match, because he was wearing a silver track-suit and was listening to music on a pair of silver headphones, out of which earpiece stood a tall aerial stick. The image was extra-terrestrial, his reputation other-worldly.

The official debut came in early March 1989, as a substitute for Neil Henry in a 2-0 loss at Bognor Regis Town. It was easy to see why Uche would score 90-odd goals in the season for his four teams; at Under-18 level, he was a man in a boys' team but he he didn't really stand out in his half-dozen Isthmian League appearances. He was a shade over six feet tall and powerfully built, possessed two good feet, great balance and searing pace, especially over short distances. Uche had a striker's natural instinct and he marked his first start in the Isthmian League with his first goal, the Greens' second in a 2-2 draw against Dagenham.

The following preseason saw Uche assert himself as a first-team regular and, on 19 August 1989, he helped Hendon make a winning start to the new League campaign for the first time in exactly 22 years. The Greens won 4-1 at Bromley and, for a few months at least, Hendon were among the League's pace-setters, though things went downhill after strike-partner Sean Baker suffered a season-ending injury just before Christmas. Hendon certainly weren't lacking in fire-power, and Uche was top-scorer with 17 goals, though Bake'’s 14 goals proved irreplaceable, despite the best efforts of veteran Colin Tate, who managed 13. Hendon ended the season in a somewhat disappointing 12th place finish, this after picking up only 11 points in the last 13 matches.

In 1990–91, it was more of the "what might have been" as Hendon again failed to pick up silverware. They did come close in the Premier Inter-League Cup, where they fell in semi-final against Aylesbury, losing 4-1, though Uche had given Hendon hope with an equaliser. It was a strange campaign for Uche, who finished two behind Tate in the goalscorers' chart with 12 in 52 appearances, but Uche had come off the subs' bench 18 times. However, his prowess had not gone unnoticed, and he was invited to preseason training with Leyton Orient.

The Os decided not to proceed and it knocked his confidence back. Uche also suffered from an injury-hit 1991-92 season and finished with only five goals from 35 appearances. All in all it was a season of struggle for the Greens, who finished only 10 points above the relegation zone in 17th place, to say nothing of the off-field turmoil which included the ground being closed by the local council and the club being taken over by Victor Green. Uche was not with the club in 1992-93, and returned late in the following season, making five appearances and scoring one goal. He also appeared in a Full-Members Cup last-16 tie, but not in the Final, won by the Greens 10 weeks later.

When Uche arrived for preseason training in summer 1994, there was a strong possibility that Hendon might not actually start the season. Ivor Arbiter's take-over was completed the day before season-opener - a famous 2-2 draw away to eventual runners-up Slough Town (Uche scored the first goal). The team was filled with players who had spent most of their recent careers a couple of divisions below the Isthmian League Premier Division so, at this level at least, Uche was one of the squad's most experienced members. The season of the kick-in was Hendon's salvation as manager Mick Browne's hard work in training on set-pieces paid dividends and the Greens spent only one week in the relegation zone, though their safety was only confirmed on the penultimate Saturday of the season. Sadly, four days before this, Uche had been sacked by the Chairman, effectively for caring too much. He considered Uche's furious reaction to being substituted - with the Greens trailing 2-1 at home to Harrow Borough - disrespectful. His goals, however, had been invaluable and Uche finished as joint-top scorer with 10 goals, despite appearing in just over half the League games.

Uche still keeps in touch through social media, and will be remembered fondly by many fans for his loyalty to the cause in difficult times.

Joined Hendon: Summer 1988 (as part of the Under-18s); February 1994. Left Hendon: Spring 1992, April 1995

Appearances: 186 (148 starts, 38 as a substitute). Goals: 46

Posted at 17:43

Saturday 01 August - Maidstone win Charity Shield

Maidstone United were comfortable 4-0 winners this afternoon in the Isthmian League Charity Shield.

The Greens included midfielder Russell Short in their line up, one of four debutants making their competitive Hendon debuts - the others being Joe Wright, Hassan Sulaiman and Mahrez Bettache.

Maidstone struck early as Callum Driver scored in the 2nd minute, and Jay May extended the lead in the 12th minute.

It was substitute Alex Akrofi who scored the other two, those coming in the 79th and 87th minutes, the second being a penalty.

The focus for Gary McCann and the squad is now on next weekend's opening league fixture at Grays Athletic.

Posted at 17:14

Saturday 01 August - Cass, Harris and Sulaiman all sign

We are pleased to announce that Jake Cass, Courtney Harris and Hassan Sulaiman have all signed registration forms ahead of today's Isthmian League Charity Shield game at Maidstone United.

All three players have impressed during pre-season, and come from different directions. Jake Cass was with AFC Hayes last season and has also been with East Thurrock United amongst others, whilst Courtney Harris began his career with Fulham and has also spent time at Charlton Athletic.

By far the most experienced is Hassan Sulaiman, who has played in defence during pre-season. He began his career at Arsenal in their academy, and has also appeared for Wigan Athletic, Aldershot Town, Crawley Town, St Albans City and Bishop's Stortford.

We are delighted to welcome all three to the club and hope that they enjoy their time with us.

Posted at 10:07