News - July 2014

Thursday 31 July - Report from the AGM evening

The AGMs of the Supporters Association and Supporters Trust took place on Tuesday evening, and we have a brief run down on what happened.

Beginning with the Supporters Association, it was announced that after 51 years on the committee, Mike Hogan was standing down as Chairman. He has accepted the offer of being made President of the association - a rare honour.

Sandra Wood is taking over as chairman, whilst John Rice will continue as secretary. A call went out for a new treasurer as Geraldine Clarke would like to stand down due to ill-health. If you are interested in this role, please speak to any member of the association commitee.

Special thanks were given to John Rice, who has put in a huge amount of work to bring the association into the 21st century, particularly with their new website and the club's first proper online club shop.

Then came the Supporters Trust AGM. Chairman Bryan Roberts began by repeating his recent plea for more bodies to come forward for the Trust board. However, he was delighted to announce that John Rogers has taken on the role of secretary. Bryan also issued a plea for new matchday volunteers to come forward. Please be assured that if you volunteer you don't need to miss any of the match.

If you are willing to join the board, or volunteer for matchday duties please speak to Bryan Roberts or John Rogers.

Both meetings thanked each other, and of course Graham Etchell, Gary McCann and his backroom staff and the squad for all their efforts last season. Thanks also went to Rob Morris for bringing us some light at the end of the tunnel.

Mike Harte brought the treasurer's report, and it was re-iterated that despite Rob's input we cannot afford to become complacent. Self-sufficiency is still the aim, but is a long way off. All of us as supporters still need to do more. We need to not only maintain our support, both financially and on the terraces, and if possible find ways to increase it. The target for this season is to break even for the first time.

Mike also took a moment to remember former player Graham Sewell, and supporters Charlie Hoyle and Les Vincent who passed away over the past twelve months.

Rob Morris & Simon Lawrence then explained their plans. Rob spoke with regard to Silver Jubilee Park, where the aim is to be ready for us to move in for the beginning of the 2015-16 season, although we are at the mercy of planning agreements etc. The new pitch will be laid by the end of September but of course we cannot play there until the ground is brought up to the required standard. We do have the option of a 3rd year at Earlsmead should it be required. Rob also gave some information on some of the contracts that he has agreed.

Simon explained that in the past couple of weeks it has become apparent that Hendon will receive a substantial sum of money from Fairview Homes who will be developing the Claremont Road site. This will be matched by a Stadium Improvement Grant and will go towards improvements at Silver Jubilee Park.

Simon and Rob answered various questions from the floor before the meeting closed.

If any supporters who were unable to attend the meeting have any questions for Rob, Simon or any of the Supporters Trust board or Supporters Association committee, please speak to them on a matchday, contact them direct if you have their contact details, or email them via the website at and we will pass your email on to them.

Posted at 19:16

Wednesday 30 July - London Senior Cup draw

The draw for the London Senior Cup was drawn on Monday evening, and we will begin with a home tie against Barking in the first round. The tie is due to be played before the end of October, and we will announce the date once it has been agreed with our opponents.

The winners will then travel to the winners of the tie between London Bari or Redbridge in the second round, and should we progress through that, then we will be at home to either Bromley, Corinthian Casuals or AFC Wimbledon in the quarter finals.

If anyone is interested in seeing the full draw, you can find it on our messageboard.

Posted at 19:04

Wednesday 30 July - Gary's thoughts on Northwood

Hendon manager Gary McCann was simultaneously satisfied and disappointed with the Northwood result.

He said, "The performance was very disappointing, especially in the first half, but we did have a number of players in unfamiliar positions and two or three triallists who hadn’t appeared before. Even so there were a few players all across the pitch who did not do enough for me.

"That said, I am more than satisfied with the exercise of getting minutes into the legs of the players on duty tonight. It was very important so it is good that we achieved that. Playing five games in eight days is very tiring for everyone concerned.

"We again had a number of very good chances to score in the first half, but didn’t take them. In the second half we were much better and Danny McNicholas probably had no more than four or five touches in the 45 minutes.

"I will probably add only a couple more players to the squad before the start of the season."

Posted at 19:03

Tuesday 29 July - Northwood win tonight's friendly

Northwood ran out 2-1 winners in this evening's friendly at Chestnut Avenue as the Greens pre-season campaign enters the last ten days.

The home side were 2-0 up at half-time, with Michael Murray scoring the consolation courtesy of an excellent free-kick.

Posted at 21:39

Tuesday 29 July - Gary pleased with Chesham performance

Gary McCann was a happy manager last night following the draw against Chesham, but admitted that the lack of goals was a concern. 0

"That was a really good friendly," he said. "It was a proper football match and I am sure Chesham will have taken as much out of it as I have.

"I thought we were easily the better side in the first half, but both teams' defences completely dominated. We should have done better with a few of the openings created and the lack of goals remains a worry for me.

"We created some good chances, but didn't take them, especially from Kevin Maclaren and Ollie Sprague's crosses. We have the game against Northwood tonight and then on Saturday at Staines to get things right before the season starts."

Posted at 18:59

Tuesday 29 July - Don't forget the AGMs tonight

Don't forget that tonight sees the AGMs of both the Supporters Association and Supporters Trust take place.

Current members of both organisations are eligible to attend the respective meetings, and there will hopefully be a chance to ask questions of the club directors.

Rob Young will also be updating attendees on the latest news at Silver Jubilee Park, and hopes to have an announcement to make.

The evening kicks off with the Supporters Association meeting at 8pm, closely followed by the Supporters Trust meeting.

There will be a brief report from the evening on the website later this week.

Posted at 07:00

Monday 28 July - Hendon and Chesham goalless

The Dave Stanley Memorial Shield was shared by both Hendon and Chesham United tonight following an entertaining goalless draw.

Clearcut goalscoring opportunities were at a premium for both sides, with the defences both holding very firm throughout the 90 minutes, and a goalless draw was very much the right result.

This was a much tougher test for the Greens, and it is unlikely they will come up against such a strong well organised defence in the season ahead.

Posted at 23:00

Sunday 27 July - Chesham friendly tomorrow

A reminder that tomorrow evening we entertain Chesham United at Earlsmead in our only home friendly this summer. This game will be played for the Dave Stanley Memorial Shield.

Kick off is at 7.45pm, and admission is £5 for adults, and free for under 16s.

Posted at 19:00

Sunday 27 July - PDF Programme Subscription 2014-15

The Supporters Assocation are running the PDF Programme subscription for the new season, and this is now available to order.

Priced at just £26, this will mean that you will be emailed a PDF version of our regular matchday programme for all home games a couple of days after the date of the game.

The link to order this is below - and if you have any questions on this, please contact the Supporters Association direct via their website.

PDF Programme Subscription

Posted at 13:00

Sunday 27 July - Spirit Season Ticket

Last season, the club offered a popular option for supporters who are unable to attend games due to their geographical location.

The Supporters Assocation have taken this initiative over and retitled it as the Spirit Season Ticket.

For just £30, you will receive a PDF copy of every home matchday programme, your season ticket will be emailed to you and a £5 voucher off a minimum order of £40 from the HFCSA Online Shop.

The link to order these season tickets is below.

Spirit Season Ticket

Posted at 07:00

Saturday 26 July - First team defeated by Uxbridge

The first team suffered their first defeat of pre-season as they were beaten 2-0 at Uxbridge this afternoon.

The home side scored a goal in each half to secure the win, and so the Greens will be keen to return to winning ways on Monday night with the home game against Chesham United.

Posted at 17:11

Saturday 26 July - Gary happy with Leverstock Green performance

Gary McCann was happy with most of what he saw at Leverstock Green on Thursday evening.

He said, "It was a better collective performance than on Tuesday night, which is what you want in preseason.

"I know we were playing level five teams, but there will be stiffer tests to come, starting with Saturday's game against level four Uxbridge and then against a team at our own level, Chesham United, on Monday night.

"I thought we were very good for the first three periods, and could have scored a few more goals. There were signs that the players were getting know each other better and they worked better. I was also pleased with a number of very good individual performances.

"Only in the final 30 minutes, when we made more changes did we drop off from where we were and we had some players in unusual positions, such as Aaron Morgan at right back, and he did brilliantly there."

Posted at 13:16

Friday 25 July - Mascots Package 2014-15

We are pleased to be able to offer the Mascot package once again this season, priced at just £85.

All mascots will receive the following as part of the package.

Free admission for mascot and up to three family members; Free programme signed by the first team; Name in programme on matchday and throughout the season; Name on website throughout the season; Full kit provided for mascot, including free shirt to keep; Lead out the teams; Photo with captains prior to kick off.

Please click on the Mascots link on the menu to see which games are available, and if you are interested, please email the website on for an application form.

Posted at 19:00

Friday 25 July - Vice Presidents Package 2014-15

We are pleased to be able to offer the Vice Presidents package again this season, priced at £250 for the season.

This package entitles supporters to board room hospitality before, after and at half time for all home games during the campaign.

Alternatively, for £350 we will add a season ticket to the package.

Please note that entry to the board room is conditional on meeting the dress code, details of which will be made available upon application.

If you are interested, please email the website on for an application form.

Posted at 13:00

Thursday 24 July - Leverstock Green hit for five

The first team ran out 5-0 winners at Leverstock Green this evening in the latest pre-season friendly.

In a game played over four periods, the Greens were ehead at the end of the first courtesy of a goal from Lee O'Leary.

O'Leary scored again in the second period, along with Casey Maclaren and Kezie Ibe, whilst Leon Smith scored in the third period to complete the scoring.

The next friendly is on Saturday afternoon at Uxbridge, and it is expected that this will be a regular game of two 45 minute halves.

Posted at 22:14

Thursday 24 July - Hendon Youth gain Charter Standard

We are delighted to announce that Hendon Youth FC are now an FA Charter Standard Club.

This award is given to those clubs that show that they are offering best practice in all areas of the game to the children that play. To achieve this as quickly as we have is great testament to the Youth committee and in particular Michelle Fennelly and Ray Fraser who have worked tirelessly to make it happen.

We will be inspected on an annual basis to make sure our provision maintains the status.

To clarify, our youth set-up are registered as a separate club as this is the normal way of doing things. It is very much intended that the players from the youth set-up progress into the first team in the years to come, should they reach the standard required.

Posted at 13:00

Wednesday 23 July - Work in progress says Gary

Following the friendly at Tring Athletic last night, Gary McCann knows there is still work to do before the start of the season.

"There were some positives, but I don't think we are quite where I want us to be," he said. "The biggest issue is in the final third, but we have a number of games to get it right.

"At the moment we have 15 or 16 bodies for 10 places so we have three weeks to get the right formations and combinations.

"But credit to them, they made it a very competitive encounter. We had to match them but we had enough about us to match them."

Posted at 21:21

Wednesday 23 July - Season Ticket application form

The application form for new season tickets is now available to download. The download link can be found below.

A reminder that prices are £160 for adults, £85 for senior citizens and students, and £10 for under 16s.

Please get your applications in as soon as possible to ensure that your ticket is ready for collection at the first home game of the season.

Season Ticket Application Form

Posted at 20:49

Tuesday 22 July - Andre Da Costa joins the squad

We are pleased to announce the signing of Andre Da Costa following tonight's friendly at Tring.

The 23 year old Portuguese midfielder was with both Bishop's Stortford and Kingstonian last season, and has previously appeared for AFC Bournemouth and Macclesfield Town as well has having spells in both Malta and Cyprus.

We welcome Andre to the club and hope that he has a long and successful time with us.

Posted at 23:02

Tuesday 22 July - Greens win at Tring

The first team squad ran out 2-1 winners at Tring Athletic in the first of this week's friendlies.

The game was played over four periods of 25 minutes, and all the goals came in the final two quarters. Lee O'Leary and Michael Murray were on target for the Greens.

Posted at 22:58

Monday 21 July - Prediction Competition not going ahead

Due to a disappointing response, Chris Hutton and John Rice have decided not to go ahead with the proposed Prediction Competition.

At the time of writing only 5 supporters had expressed an interest, and Chris & John have therefore decided to pull the plug.

Posted at 22:51

Monday 21 July - Two friendlies this week

The first team ramp up the build up to the new season with two friendlies this week.

Firstly, tomorrow evening, we travel to Tring Athletic, for a game that is scheduled to kick off at 7.45pm, and then on Thursday we travel to Leverstock Green for a 6.30pm kick off.

Both games are planned to be 4 periods of 30 minutes, and please be aware that if both teams are ready to kick off ahead of the scheduled kick off time, they will do so.

Posted at 20:01

Sunday 20 July - Prediction Competition 2014-15

The Supporters Association are launching a new Prediction Competition for the new season, which will be just £10 to enter.

Every week you have to predict whether matches will end in a home win, away win or a draw. You will get one point for every correct prediction.

The matches will be taken from the Isthmian League (or Southern League if that is where we are allocated), Premier League, Championship, League One, League Two and the FA Cup.

40% of the pot will go direct to the Association, whilst the remainder will be split 30% for 1st, 20% for 2nd and 10% for 3rd. Therefore if 50 people enter, the winner will get £150, 2nd place will get £100, 3rd place will get £50 and the remaining £200 will go to the Association.

Please, please encourage your friends and family to take part. The more people who play, the more you can win and the more funds we raise.

For more information please email John Rice or Chris Hutton at

Posted at 08:46

Saturday 19 July - Silver Jubilee Park clarification

We have received a number of questions from supporters who were unclear on how the ownership of Silver Jubilee Park is planned to work. Club director Rob Morris has kindly clarified the situation with the information below.

Silver Jubilee Park is owned by Brent Council who have granted Kingsbury Town Management Co Ltd (KTMCL) a 30 year renewable lease which has 14 years to run. KTMCL are currently in negotiations with Brent Council to extend this lease agreement.

KTMCL is owned by Robert Morris and Arrow Investments who have an equal share holding. Arrow investments is owned by the Manzi family who also run Edgware Town FC.

Hendon FC (HFC) will be offered a lease to play and train at the ground rent free for the duration of KTMCL lease. KTMCL have spent over £500,000 so far and will need to make a significant further investment to bring the ground up to the grading requirements just for HFC

HFC will also benefit from increased attendances by being closer to their roots and from a strong youth set up with over 150 players from the coming season. The function hall will be available rent free for fund raising events and we expect that HFC will be better off by £60,000 a season as a result if these changes. This is the difference between going out of existence or being a sustainable business model.

Over the last few months Rob has been working tirelessly to put a number of deals in place which will ensure HFC will play football for many years to come.

Posted at 10:41

Thursday 17 July - League fixtures released

The league fixtures for the season ahead have been issued this morning and we will begin with a home game against Bury Town.

We then travel to Metropolitan Police on the following Tuesday before going to VCD Athletic, one of the promoted sides, on the second Saturday.

The season commences on Saturday 9th August and the full fixture list will appear on the website later today.

Posted at 13:12

Thursday 17 July - Player, Match & Ball Sponsorship

The Supporters Trust are now taking requests for player, match and ball sponsorship for the upcoming season.

The player and ball sponsorship packages remain the same, whilst there has been an increase in price for the match sponsorship package.

Starting with the player sponsorship packages, home kit costs £90, away kit is £60, or you can choose to sponsor both kits for £120. Sock sponsorship is available to under 16s for just £5. Corporate sponsorship is also available for companies at £120 per player for the season. All sponsors will see their name listed alongside their chosen player both online and in the matchday programme for the season.

The ball sponsorship price remains as £80 per match, and this includes a complimentary ticket, complimentary programme, credit in the programme and credit on the website match report page and match page. This package does not include boardroom hospitality.

The match sponorship price has been increased to £150 per match. This package includes complimentary tickets for up to 10 people, complimentary programme for each guest and boardroom hospitality.

For lists of the available players and fixtures, please check out the sponorship link on the main menu.

If you are interested in sponsoring any players or fixtures, please email Simon Lawrence on

Posted at 13:00

Wednesday 16 July - HFCST looking for new board members

The Hendon Football Club Supporters Trust board would like to invite all Hendon supporters to consider election or co-option to the Supporters Trust board.

Due to a combination of factors such as ill health, relocation and career changes, the board has unfortunately lost several members over the course of the past year and is need of new members plus a new Secretary.

This is not simply a case of making up the numbers: by including a broader variety of people with different backgrounds, ages, viewpoints and skill-sets, the board will be better placed to drive the Football Club forward as we embark on a new era.

The commitment as a board member is not onerous, consisting primarily of a monthly meeting plus other activities related to fundraising, events and marketing etc. The Secretary, meanwhile, will be required to set meeting agendas, write the minutes of meetings and attend to certain tasks related to the AGM every year.

This is a great opportunity to be fully involved in the future of the club and we urge all supporters of the club to give it their consideration. For anyone who would like to be considered, or who has any questions, please contact the Trust chairman Bryan Roberts on

Posted at 13:00

Wednesday 16 July - Ibe and Murphy both sign forms

We are pleased to announce that experienced striker Kezie Ibe, and former Aldershot Town player Sam Murphy have both signed registration forms for the forthcoming season.

Kezie, who is 31 years old, joined from Conference South side Basingstoke Town, and has been a prolific striker with a number of clubs around the non league game for a number of years.

24 year old Sam has been out of senior football for a year, but is a member of the England Futsal squad.

We welcome both players to the club, and hope they enjoy a long fruitful time with us.

Posted at 07:29

Tuesday 15 July - Greens play out goalless draw

The first team played out a goalless draw against Hayes & Yeading United this evening in a behind closed doors friendly.

The game was played over three periods of 30 minutes, with three more new trialists being given some game time by Gary McCann.

The full squad can be found on the match report page.

Posted at 21:25

Tuesday 15 July - World Cup Prediction Competition result

The winner of the World Cup Prediction Competition, with a total of 106 points, was David Coote. He goes away with a prize of £73.50.

Second place, winning £31.50, was Wayne Hitchings with 104 points, whilst Adam Doyle finished third, winning £21.00 with 95 points - earning that spot on a tie-break from Scott Searle.

We would like to thank Paul Butler for running the competition, which has raised £84 for the supporters trust, and all those who entered for taking part.

Posted at 07:00

Monday 14 July - Clarification on fixture release date

There appears to have been some confusion over the date the league fixtures are due to be released.

A posting on the Ryman League website suggested that they were due out today. However, at the Ryman League AGM a few weeks ago, clubs were advised that the fixtures were due out during the week commencing 14th July, and would more likely be towards the end of the week.

It is our belief that they will most likely be issued on Thursday - which is the date that both the Southern League and Northern Premier League have advertised as their fixture release date. In previous years, fixtures for all three leagues have generally been released on the same date.

The full fixture list will appear on the website on the evening of the date they are released, so please check on a daily basis.

Posted at 18:08

Sunday 13 July - Work to commence on pitch

Work is due to commence tomorrow on the installation of the new all weather pitch at Silver Jubilee Park.

The first job will be removal of top soil, then a sub base of various layers of stone and a kerb edge will be installed. Finally the carpet is fitted, and then after 100 hours of use, the surface is tested so that we have the FIFA accreditation required.

The whole process should take around 9 weeks, weather permitting. Once the pitch is installed and in use, the first team will be using the facility for training.

Posted at 13:00

Saturday 12 July - Gary happy with opening run out

Gary McCann was happy following the friendly win last night.

"This was a good start for us," he said. "Preseason is a six-week marathon, not a sprint and the players did well enough.

"It was said we would have a few triallists on show, but in preseason, we are as much on trial as a club as are the players. It is as much do we fit in with what they are looking for, as do they fit in with what we want."

Posted at 15:28

Friday 11 July - Greens win first friendly

The first team won their first friendly of the summer this evening, the scoreline ending 3-1 against Erith & Belvedere.

It was all level at half-time with both sides scoring, new signing Tom O'Regan scoring for the Greens. Leon Smith & Michael Murray found the back of the net in the second half to secure the win.

A number of trialists were involved in the game including Kezie Ibe, who has been at a number of clubs in the Isthmian League and Conference South. The full line up can be found on the report page.

Posted at 21:55

Friday 11 July - Admission for tonight's friendly

Erith & Belvedere are making a small admission charge for tonight's friendly at the London SoccerDome.

Admission will be just £3 per person, and all are welcome to attend. The nearest station is North Greenwich, and the venue is just a short walk from the station.

Posted at 12:31

Friday 11 July - Fixture release on Monday

The Ryman League have confirmed that the fixtures for the season are due to be released on Monday. They will be available on the Ryman League website sometime in the morning, and will be posted on to this website no later than Monday evening.

Posted at 10:24

Thursday 10 July - Hendon Green & Gold 19 - Gary McCann

We conclude this season with one of the most important players in recent Hendon history - our manager Gary McCann. This piece, however, is about Gary the player.

Gary McCann joined Hendon on Easter Monday, 31 March 1997, signing in time to make his debut that afternoon against Aylesbury United. It was a tough first game for the former Sutton and Dulwich keeper, and the relegation-threatened Greens ended up on the wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline.

Gary more than played his part in the team's subsequent escape from the drop, especially in the return victory over Aylesbury at Buckingham Road and then at Top Field, Hitchin. Before the latter game kicked-off, Gary looked a picture in the programme of the Hitchin penalty taker scoring from the spot with a shot towards the goalkeeper's left upright. That nugget of information was stored in his memory bank. After Junior Lewis and Richard Nugent had given Hendon a 2-1 lead, in the final seconds of stoppage time, the Greens conceded a penalty. Up stepped the same kicker, he went the same way and looked on in dismay as Gary pushed away the ball with the game's final touch. Other results that day confirmed Hendon's safety.

The following season was probably Gary's best at Hendon. It certainly held his proudest moments, the two outstanding displays he produced in the FA Cup first round proper matches against Leyton Orient. The Os' top-scorer that season, Carl Griffiths, is probably still wondering how he didn't score in either game. Gary missed only six matches in the 1997-98 season, and ended it with his first winners medal at Hendon. He played his part in the 4-1 second-half demolition of Basingstoke Town at Chesham in the Full Members Cup Final.

By modern standards, Gary was not tall for a goalkeeper, but had every other attribute: great reflexes, an almost elastic reach, safe hands, excellent positional strength and an ability to organise defenders in front of him. He enjoyed another run to the FA Cup first round proper the following season, and added to his medal tally with a second Full Members Cup gong and one from the Middlesex Senior Cup. A goalkeeper is often the hero of a penalty shoot-out, but they are not often among the first five to take spot-kicks. At Enfield, after a 2-2 draw against Wembley, Gary stepped up and blasted his spot-kick … somewhere towards Brimsdown! Another of Gary's strongest suits, however, was his concentration, because he didn't let his miss affect him and he ensured that Avi Schwarz's failure in sudden-death would give his best-mate Freddie Hyatt the chance to win the Cup for Hendon, which he did.

A third consecutive FA Cup first round appearance with Hendon followed in 1999-2000 and Gary was outstanding as Bath City's unbeaten run ended in a 2-0 defeat at Twerton Park. It was the same score in the second round, but Blackpool were more than a little fortunate to sneak past the Greens, denying Gary and the team the chance to take on Arsenal at Highbury in the third round.

Tuesday 18 April 2000 is, no doubt, excruciatingly etched into Gary's mind. It was on that night that his career was effectively ended. He suffered a terrible knee injury, involving a reconstruction operation, the effects of which haunt him to this day. His next Hendon game was on 30 December that year, on a frozen tundra at Heybridge Swifts in an utterly insane 6-5 extra-time defeat in the Full Members Cup. It probably wasn't the ideal surface on which to make a comeback, but he managed 21 appearances in the second half of the season, knowing there would be another visit to the surgeon at the end of the campaign.

Just 10 weeks later, to help out Dave Anderson as he built his new squad following Frank Murphy’s May 2001 departure, Gary played in a pre-season friendly against Southend United at Claremont Road. It was far too soon and his knee couldn't cope. Over the next two seasons, a number of attempted comebacks failed and he made just 12 appearances before deciding to retire. Nonetheless, as an unused substitute, he picked up Middlesex Senior Cup winners' medals in 2002 and 2003.

There was one final game, again to help out Anderson, a 2-0 victory away to Bedford Town on 20 September 2003, his 196th match for Hendon.

But it was not the end of Gary's love affair with Hendon and, on 2 February 2005, he was back, as manager. Fast forward over nine years, and Gary is still in charge – a Hendon legend between the posts and in the dugout.

Joined Hendon: 31 March 1997 (as a player), 2 February 2005 (as manager)

Left Hendon: Autumn 2003

Appearances: 196 (195 starts, 1 substitute)

Goals: None

Medals won: Isthmian League Full Members Cup: 1997-98, 1998-99; Middlesex Senior Cup: 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03

The series will continue in the matchday programmes throughout the coming season, and will be repeated on the website next summer.

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Tuesday 08 July - Hendon Green & Gold 18 - James Parker

The penultimate subject this summer is a player who left the club in 2012, after almost seven years at Hendon, James Parker.

James Parker's arrival at Hendon barely merited a mention. He was a few weeks short of his 19th birthday, and joined the club from Bishop's Stortford. As a 17-year-old, he had been a Stortford substitute in their 6-0 FA Cup first round proper defeat away to Football League club Mansfield Town in November 2003.

His Hendon debut was also unsuccessful. James found himself at left-back against a Fisher Athletic team which went on to win the London Senior Cup. Hendon were 4-0 down at half-time, after which Fisher got bored and the Greens scored a couple of second-half goals. It was an important night in club history because, after this debacle, Gary Farrell and his coaching staff were sacked. Gary McCann, Andy Pape and Gary Anderson came in and their first game was a 2-1 win over Cheshunt, with Dave Sargent - whose late arrival at Fisher had given James his debut - scoring both goals in his Hendon swan-song.

James was an ever-present for the rest of the season, and his place in McCann's improved defence certainly helped to turn around what had seemed a certain drift to relegation under Farrell. The following season, James suffered a career-threatening injury at Bromley near the end of the campaign. Still on crutches, James did receive the Supporters Association Player of the Year Award, scant consolation for an injury which left him with a permanent weakness in his ankles.

His ability to read a game made James ideal as either a central defender or a full-back, while his solid, dependable tackling meant he frequently averted danger, even before most people saw it develop. Of course, he didn't get forward very often and didn't break his goal scoring duck until he had made more than 80 appearances - heading home a Marc Leach corner - and he finished his Hendon career with just seven. In his early years at Hendon, James was a student, training to become a teacher. His intelligence, combined with good communication skills, made him ideal captaincy material and it was not long before he took this role.

If, off the field, things were very difficult, on it there was much positivity, and in 2007-08, Hendon had the first of a number of jousts to enter the play-offs, eventually coming up just short. James played in 48 matches, his best total for the Greens, having passed the 100-game mark early in the campaign. He was part of the team that lost, controversially, to Tooting & Mitcham United in the London Senior Cup Final. The Centenary season, of course, was marked by the departure from Claremont Road, and Hendon struggled for most of the first half of 2008-09 before turning things around. Although there was disappointment in the Middlesex Senior Cup, Hendon got it right against Croydon Athletic in the London Senior Cup Final at Kingsmeadow, winning on penalties. It was James's first cup medal as a Hendon player.

Solid and dependable, James was still a regular and made his 200th appearance in January 2010, in a season which saw the Greens finish a laudable 10th in the Ryman League Premier Division. The next season saw Hendon end an 11-year wait for an FA Cup first-round appearance, and James led out the side at Melbourne Stadium against Chelmsford City. The Conference South team won 3-2, but the injury-ravaged Greens were far from disgraced. And there was another London Senior Cup Final appearance, albeit another defeat, to Wingate & Finchley at Tooting & Mitcham’s Imperial Fields. James now had two runners-up medals to go with a winners' one.

The following season, he levelled his London Senior Cup Final medal count at 2-2, though the Final was a match James was lucky to be allowed to finish at his manager's terms. Hendon were strolling to a 2-0 victory over Kingstonian at rain-lashed Imber Court, when James received his second yellow card of the match. The referee, somehow, managed to confuse James's No.2 shirt with that of Carl McCluskey - No.12, who had been on the pitch for barely a minute. Gary McCann immediately substituted James and when he asked his manager why he had been taken off, Gary whispered, "How many yellows did you want?"

James finished the season on 295 appearances, but only made five more in 2012-13. He left the club after a defeat away to East Thurrock United. Having been promoted to House Master at his school, he could no longer devote the necessary time to football and effectively retired from the senior game aged only 26.

Joined Hendon: January 2005

Left Hendon: September 2012

Appearances: 300 (293 starts, 7 substitute)

Goals: 7

Supporters Association Player of the Year: 2005-06

Medals won: London Senior Cup: 2008-09, 2011-12

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Sunday 06 July - Farnborough friendly cancelled

Our planned friendly at Farnborough on Monday 4th August has been cancelled. Gary McCann is hoping to arrange an alternative game, and of course we will announce it hear as soon as something is fixed.

Posted at 07:00

Saturday 05 July - One more from last season signs on

A further member of last season's squad has signed on for the new campaign in the form of James Fisher.

James, who made his 100th appearance in the final game of last season, will be starting his fourth term with the club.

Posted at 13:43

Saturday 05 July - Hendon Green & Gold 17 - Freddie Hyatt

Today’s Green and Gold subject is a current member of our management team, who graced the green (blue) and white shirt: Freddie Hyatt.

When Frank Murphy was looking for one or two final additions to his squad for the 1997-98 season, he chose a kindred soul: fantastic footballer, heavy smoker, free spirit on-and-off the pitch. For proof of this, look at the official team picture before the 1997 Leyton Orient tie. Welcome Freddie Hyatt, who filled all three criteria. Freddie had won an Isthmian League winner's medal with Hayes in 1995-96 and left the Missioners and Conference football to play for Frank at Claremont Road. He had previously played for Wokingham Town, for whom he won a runners-up medal against Hendon in the 1994 Full Members Cup Final, and Burnham.

Freddie signed on 16 August 1997, the day Hendon kicked off the season with a 2-1 victory over St Albans City. Three days later, he was on the bench for a salutary night in Kent as Gravesend & Northfleet scored three times in five minutes just before half-time, on their way to a 4-0 trouncing. Freddie came on for Paul Kelly long after the Greens had gone into damage-limitation mode.

Playing in the centre of midfield, he could spray the ball around the pitch effortlessly and set up chances from open play or set-pieces. His talent on the ball had made him a fan's favourite everywhere he had played - except where lung-bursting work-rate and effort were considered more important than good, solid, fundamental basic passing, together with more than a little flair.

Hendon fans were given a special taste on one of the greatest nights in the club's history - 25 November 1997 - when Leyton Orient's colours were lowered at Brisbane Road in that famous FA Cup first round replay. Freddie's part in the goal was an outrageous piece of skill. He flicked the ball over his marker, turned, ran onto the ball and sprayed the ball out to the right wing, where John-Simon White was raiding. He crossed - and the rest is history. Thanks, Junior!

Freddie's goals came in three categories: penalties, stunning or vitally important (and sometimes in two or more of those categories). His finest goal came in March 1998, and it is one he never tires of repeating. Hendon were leading Sutton 2-1 midway through the second half and were coasting, even if the scoreline didn't suggest it. Sutton's goalkeeper ran to the edge of his penalty to clear some danger, but his clearance landed some distance short of half-way. Freddie called off a team-mate as the ball bounced towards him, then volleyed it into the roof of the net from the half-way line. It was aimed; it was intended and it was inspired: typical Freddie Hyatt.

Hendon finished the season with the Full Members Cup as Basingstoke were beaten 4-1 at Chesham United's ground. Freddie won his second Full Members winners medal 12 months later as Worthing were downed 1-0 at Sutton United's Gander Green Lane, and that completed a cup double for the season as he had won the Middlesex Senior Cup final - against Wembley at Enfield - with an audacious chip - in a penalty shoot-out. It was the decisive penalty, so there hadn't been any pressure to make sure he hit the target.

Fast forward to 1999-2000, Freddie's last playing season with the club, and injuries hampered his progress. He scored three times in cup competitions, in consecutive weeks, to open the scoring in victories over Blakenall (FA Cup third qualifying), Slough (FA Trophy) and Margate (the only goal of a very tight FA Cup last qualifying round match) and all were powerfully struck free-kicks. Only the Margate goalkeeper even touched the ball.

Like all great showmen, Freddie made sure his last Hendon appearance was more than memorable. Thirty minutes into the season-ending game away to Heybridge Swifts - 10 minutes after his penalty had opened the scoring - Freddie ran towards Mark Cranfield, flicked the ball up with his heel, sending it high over the full-back. Before he could react, Freddie had ran past him, trapping the ball before it bounced, then set off for goal, only for his effort to be smothered by the home goalkeeper. Mr Murphy's reaction? "If he had scored that, I would have taken him off the field and told him to retire, because he'll never beat that!" Spoken by a showman, who appreciated the talent of a showman.

Freddie played for a few other clubs before retiring. But he returned to Hendon in February 2006, to become Gary McCann's right-hand man - their friendship long pre-dated their Hendon careers - a role he has held ever since.

Joined Hendon: As player: 16 August 1997; as assistant manager February 2006

Left Hendon: Summer 2000

Appearances: 163 (150 starts, 13 substitute)

Goals: 18

Medals won: Isthmian Full Members Cup 1997-98, 1998-99; Middlesex Senior Cup: 1998-99

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 07:00

Friday 04 July - FA Cup & FA Trophy draws

The early rounds of the FA Cup and FA Trophy have been drawn and released by the FA this morning.

In the FA Cup we have been drawn at home to either AFC Rushden & Diamonds, Oxhey Jets or Bedford Town. Rushden and Oxhey play each other in the Extra Preliminary Round, with the winners hosting Bedford Town. Our tie will be played on Saturday 13th September. We can confirm that it will be on the Saturday as Harrow have been drawn away.

In the FA Trophy, just for a change we have been drawn against another Ryman League Premier Division side, and will be travelling to Bury Town on Saturday 1st November.

Posted at 12:43

Thursday 03 July - Message from the Chairman

Club chairman Simon Lawrence has issued the following message today, which is addressed to all supporters.

"I watched my first Hendon game when I was 9. I don't remember much of the game but I still remember the atmosphere. I watched a second game and I was hooked. My dad came to check it out, liked what he saw and said I could keep watching.

"One of the many benefits of the introduction of around 15 new youth teams this season is that it opens up the potential for our crowd to be boosted by youth team players, their parents and their siblings. That could be as many as 1,000 people in total who will have some form of relationship with the club who may not even have heard of us before. From these new potential relationships could come future hard-core fans, match-day volunteers, members of the Supporters Association Committee, Supporters Trust Board or Football Club Board.

"With that massive potential, comes a massive responsibility and that is to ensure that whoever comes to watch Hendon next season and in the seasons to come leaves having enjoyed a good football match in a good friendly, family atmosphere.

"Consequently, the Board has decided to remind supporters regarding existing rules relating the use of foul, racist, sexist and other discriminatory language.

"We do not have an existing problem with the use of discriminatory language but we do, from time to time, have a problem with the use of foul language and this will not be tolerated from now on.

"Everybody starts with a clean slate at the start of this season. However, anyone using foul (or discriminatory) language this season will be given a verbal warning. If the use of foul language persists, the offender will be advised in writing that they will not be admitted at any home match for 3 months. If, after having served that "suspension", the offender re-offends, he or she will be advised in writing that they have been banned for life.

"The future of Hendon Football Club has not been this bright for many years and the Board will not sacrifice that future for the sake of a handful of supporters who do not know how to behave."

Posted at 19:00

Wednesday 02 July - Hendon Green & Gold 16 - David Hogwood

Today’s Green and Gold subject is a loyal servant and one of the few to play for and manage Hendon.

David Hogwood was part of the great teams of the 1960s and won pretty much every medal there was to win as a Hendon player. Signed as an 18-year-old from Wembley - where he had made his debut aged 16 - David's first games came as a left-back at the start of the 1962-63 season, and he went on to play 38 times in that weather-accursed campaign. By the start of the 1963-64 season, Hendon's first in the Isthmian League, David had shifted from left-back to right-back, but he played in only 23 League matches as the Greens finished runners-up behind champions Wimbledon.

The following season was possibly the greatest in Hendon's history, completing the treble of Isthmian League, FA Amateur Cup and Middlesex Senior Cup. David was a near ever-present, playing in 38 League matches and all 19 cup ties, including the famous 4-3 defeat of Arsenal at Highbury in the London Challenge Cup. In the League play-off final, David's performance was highlighted in the press for the way he played England international winger Terry Howard out of the game.

An utterly dependable full-back, quick across the ground, good in the tackle and blessed with exceptional positional sense, David was one of the first names on the managers' team-sheets for the next five seasons. In this period he missed only seven league matches and passed 50 appearances five times in six seasons. He missed out on the half-century in 1967-68, when Hendon's cup form deserted them and there were no knock-out runs to enjoy.

After back-to-back Wembley appearances in the Amateur Cup, David almost scored the goal that would have made it a hat-trick. In the first semi-final against Skelmsersdale United, at the Baseball Ground in Derby, his shot in the dying minutes beat the opposing goalkeeper all ends up, but the ball went just the wrong side of the post. The match ended goalless but, after a 2-2 draw in the first replay at St Andrews, Birmingham, Skelmersdale prevailed 3-1 at The Hawthorns.

For a player who averaged a goal every 18 matches in his Hendon career - pretty good for a full-back who would not have been a set-piece target - it is amazing that it took him more than 200 games to open his Hendon account. That goal came in the 13th match of the 1966-67 season, the last goal in a 3-1 victory away to Oxford City, his 201st first-team appearance. He added another five in the next 41 games that season It certainly helped that he became the club's penalty-taker and he rarely missed from 12 yards. This was despite regularly using the same kick - a dummy and shot into the bottom corner.

In 1966-67, David earned the first two of his seven England amateur international caps. He later represented Great Britain in Olympic Games qualifying matches and when Great Britain played West Germany at Claremont Road, David, along with John Swannell, Roy Sleap and Rod Haider had the honour of playing for Great Britain on their home ground. England lost the match, conceding the only goal, but they won the tie 2-1 on aggregate. Sadly Great Britain didn't make it to the Mexico City Olympic Games in 1968, being knocked out by Spain. David also played for Middlesex and the Isthmian League. He worked for the Post Office as a telephone engineer, and represented the Post Office at an international tournament.

Although Hendon's level of success dipped in the late 1960s, they could rely on David for top performances. This dip in success level needs to be put into some perspective, however, because not once in David's eight Isthmian League seasons, up to 1970-71, did the Greens finish outside of the top six; in the 40 years since 1974, the Greens have finished fifth or better on only five occasions!

David left Hendon after the 1970-71 season, joining St Albans. However, as many have found out, Hendon was in their blood and following the departure of David's successor at right-back, Tony Jennings, he returned to Claremont Road where he made four appearances at the end of the 1973-74 season. After two appearances, with injuries taking their toll, David retired as player, and became assistant manager. In December 1977, he succeeded Jimmy Quail as caretaker-manager, only losing the temporary tag after three months. The club, however, was struggling to compete against clubs more prepared to spend big money and David lasted less than a year in charge.

Born: 22 January 1944

Joined Hendon: Summer 1962 and spring 1974

Left Hendon: Summer 1971 and autumn 1978 (as manager)

Appearances: 440 (439 starts, 1 substitute)

Goals: 24

Medals won: Isthmian League 1964-65, FA Amateur Cup: 1964-65, London Senior Cup: 1963-64, 1968-69, Middlesex Senior Cup: 1964-65, 1966-67

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 19:00

Tuesday 01 July - Dean returns and O'Regan signs

We are pleased to announce that Peter Dean and Tom O'Regan have both signed league registration forms this evening.

Peter is no stranger to us as he spent 18 months with us from January 2009, making 69 appearances and scoring 11 goals. Since leaving he has spent most of his time at Wealdstone, as well as a short spell at St Albans City.

Tom O'Regan is a 22 year old wide player, described by Gary McCann as being in the mould of Wayne O'Sullivan. He joins us from Beaconsfield SYCOB where he scored plenty of goals during the last couple of months of the season. Tom began his career at Wycombe Wanderers and has also appeared for Chertsey Town.

Posted at 23:11

Tuesday 01 July - Majority of last season's squad sign

As training began this evening, the majority of last season's squad put pen to paper on their league registration forms.

We are pleased to confirm that the following players will be part of the squad for the coming season : Elliott Brathwaite, Scott Cousins, Dave Diedhiou, Sam Flegg, Casey Maclaren, Kevin Maclaren, Max McCann, Daniel McNicholas, Michael Murray, Lee O'Leary, Chris Seeby, Leon Smith and Tony Taggart.

Adam Wallace is currently on the road to recovery having recently had keyhole surgery on his knee and ankle.

There are likely to be further additions to the squad over the next few weeks and we'll bring you news as and when registration forms are completed.

Posted at 23:11

Tuesday 01 July - First team return to training

The first team return to training this evening as preparations begin for our 52nd season in the Isthmian League.

Gary McCann, Freddie Hyatt, Scott Cousins and the squad will be looking to see if they can improve on last season's showing when we came so near, but yet so far, from reaching the play-offs.

Gary is expecting most of last season's squad back, along with a few more new faces. As in previous years, we will only announce who is part of the squad once they have completed their league registration forms.

Posted at 07:00