News - December 2004

Monday 27 December - Hendon Stoned in local derby

Hendon's wretched league form continued this afternoon as they lost 4-1 to Wealdstone at Claremont Road. It was always going to be hard after Dave King was sent off for handling outside of his area in the 4th minute. Dave Nolan took over between the sticks but the first thing he had to do was pick the ball out of the net after Lee O'Leary scored. However, Hendon took the game to Wealdstone in the first half and deservedly equalised in the 36th minute when Ross Pickett found himself unmarked close to goal and he sidefooted the ball home. However, the Greens lost their way in the second half, and the Stones regained the lead in the 54th minute when O'Leary scored his second of the afternoon. Seven minutes later Jermaine Beckford scored their third, and nine minutes later Richard Jolly ran from inside his own half to take the ball into a one on one situation with Nolan and cooly slotted the ball home to make the game well and truly safe. Hendon had a couple of half chances to make the scoreline a bit more respectable in the last 20 minutes, but the day got even worse when René Street was stretchered off with a suspected knee ligament injury with five minutes to go.

Posted at 18:45

Monday 27 December - Coach seats available for Dover

There are limited seats available on the team coach for the trip to Dover on New Years Day. Priced at £5.00 they are available on the day on a first come first served basis on the day, so make sure you arrive early. The coach will leave Claremont Road promptly at 10.30am.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 23 December - Date change for Leatherhead cup tie

Our Bryco Cup tie against Leatherhead will now be played on Tuesday, 11th January 2005 at Claremont Road, kicking off at 7.45pm. Both clubs requested a date change so enable staff and players to spend the New Year bank holiday with their families.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 20 December - Farrell appoints Nicholls as assistant

Gary Farrell has appointed Mark Nicholls as his assistant manager with immediate effect. Nicholls will continue to play an important part of things on the pitch as well as his added responsibilities off the pitch.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 20 December - Bubb hits hat-trick as U18s win

Bradley Bubb hit a hat-trick on Saturday afternoon as the under 18's won 4-0 at Princes Park Rangers. His hat-trick came in 13 minutes, after captain Connor Carroll had put the Greens ahead. The result keeps them in a good position for the runners up spot in the league behind runaway leaders Turkish Community. The Under 12's game against Headstone Manor B was postponed as their opponents were in county cup action.

Posted at 10:00

Sunday 19 December - Under 15s forfeit cup match

Unfortunately the under 15's were forced to forfeit their county cup match at Northwood this morning as when the kick off deadline arrived they were unable to field a side. Manager Paul Hornblow has been forced to transport the players on public transport this season due to the lack of parents willing to help with transport. This morning they were held up by delays on the Metropolitan Line, which meant that they were unable to arrive at Northwood in time to play the game. Due to the circumstances of the delay, the club are currently considering putting in an appeal to the Middlesex FA.

Posted at 12:30

Saturday 18 December - Hendon well beaten by Swifts

Hendon went down to a 5-2 defeat at Heybridge Swifts this afternoon, thanks to a very disappointing second half performance in which Heybridge scored four goals. Had it not been for the efforts of Dave King and Mark Burgess, the scoreline may even have been worse. The Greens drew first blood as when a good passing move from defence ended with Eugene Ofori firing the ball into the corner of the net in the 15th minute. Heybridge equalised in the 38th minute when they broke away on the counter attack following a Hendon corner to score courtesy of Sean Marks. The Swifts took the lead in the 47th minute through a limping Carl Griffiths, and Gary Hill made it 3-1 in the 64th minute. The fourth goal was scored in the 80th minute by Adam Gillespie before Ofori scored his second of the afternoon. However, that was nothing more than a consolation as Scott Forbes scored a fifth goal shortly before the end to confirm what was a comprehensive victory.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 18 December - Under 15's in county cup action tomorrow

The under 15's are in county cup action tomorrow morning when they travel to Northwood for a third round tie. The game will take place on one of the pitches just outside Northwood's main ground and kicks off at 10.30am. Meanwhile, the under 12's are in league action against Headstone Manor B at Copthall Playing Fields in a game that also kicks off at 10.30am. All supporters are welcome to attend either game

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 16 December - It's Yeading in the county cup

Our opponents in the quarter finals of the Middlesex Senior Cup are Yeading, who beat Wealdstone 4-0 last night at the White Lion Ground. The game is expected to take place on Tuesday 25th January at The Warren.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 15 December - U16s receive cup walkover

The under 16s have been awarded a walkover for their third round Middlesex Cup tie at Enfield Rangers which was due to be played this coming Sunday. The game has been awarded as Enfield Rangers have folded their under 16 side. Therefore our under 16s are now in the quarter finals where they have a home tie against the winners of the Hampton Youth v Pro Hawks tie due to be played this weekend.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 15 December - U16s selected for county side

Two of our under 16 squad have been selected to represent the Middlesex County FA this coming weekend. The players concerned are goalkeeper Ashley Trodden and prolific striker Marcel Byfield. Their game takes place at Uxbridge FC this weekend and kicks off at 11.30am. We wish both players the best of luck for the game.

Posted at 09:55

Wednesday 15 December - Reserve team game postponed

Tonights reserve team game at Harrow Borough has been postponed and will be rearranged for sometime in the new year.

Posted at 09:50

Tuesday 14 December - Greens score five in county cup

Hendon had a convincing win as they commenced their defence of the Middlesex Senior Cup as they ran out 5-0 winners against Enfield Town. The Greens took the lead in the 19th minute when John Frendo bundled the ball home from close range, and held on comfortably for a 1-0 lead at half time. Within a minute of the restart Dave Sargent doubled the lead, and just eleven minutes later Mark Nicholls made it 3-0. In the 65th minute Nicholls scored again, but three minutes later the Greens were reduced to ten men when Steve Brady was dismissed for a second caution, the caution being for a nasty looking challenge on Matt Negus. Within five minutes Enfield Town were themselves down to nine men after Negus and Dean Nyman both limped off, with all three substitutes having been used. The final goal came in stoppage time when Nicholls completed his hat-trick having beaten the offside trap. A trip to Wealdstone or Yeading, who play tomorrow night, await in the next round

Posted at 23:00

Monday 13 December - U15s and U12s back on victory trail

The under 15s had the perfect preparation for their county cup tie next weekend at Northwood with a 2-0 win over Pitshanger yesterday morning. Fuad Abuukar and Assam Zaid were on the scoresheet for the Greens. It was also good news for the under 12s who beat Harrow St Mary's 5-2 thanks to a brace from Dean Rosenthal, along with goals from Ryan McKenna, Alan Aberdeen and a debut goal from Julian Mika. It wasn't such good news for the under 18s who lost 3-1 to Crown & Manor, Bradley Bubb was on the scoresheet.

Posted at 11:00

Sunday 12 December - Enfield Town game is on

The Middlesex Senior Cup tie against Enfield Town on Tuesday evening will definitely go ahead after our opponents lost 1-0 to Enfield in the FA Vase this afternoon, James Bunn scoring the decisive goal in the 2nd half after Rudi Hall had earlier had a goal disallowed for Town. The game on Tuesday kicks off at Claremont Road at 7.45pm.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 11 December - Defensive mix up costs Greens a point

A late defensive mix up cost Hendon a point this afternoon against league leaders and FA Cup heroes Yeading. The West London side took the lead in the 23rd minute when Errol Telemaque finished off a swift counter attack seconds after the Greens had a good penalty shout turned down by the officials. Hendon fought back well in the second half and were rewarded for their efforts in the 87th minute when Mark Nicholls bundled the ball home from close range. However, there was disaster to come two minutes later as a lack of communication led to a throw going to Dave King who was under pressure from a Yeading attacker. King lost out in the challenge and the ball was played to Marvin Morgan who will never have an easier goal to score. There was a question as to whether Mark Burgess was playing Morgan onside or not, and the goal was allowed to stand by the match officials.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 11 December - Chelmsford game rearranged

Our home game against Chelmsford City will now be played on Tuesday 15th February, kicking off at 7.45pm.

Posted at 18:15

Wednesday 08 December - Holiday kick offs confirmed

The kick offs for two of our holiday games have been confirmed. The game against Wealdstone on Monday 27th December will kick off at 3.00pm, as will the New Years Day fixture at Dover Athletic. Confirmation of kick off time for the Bryco Cup tie against Leatherhead will be confirmed in the next few days.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 06 December - Disappointing weekend for the youth

It turned out to be a disappointing weekend all round as all four youth teams slipped to defeat. The under 18's lost 2-0 at Turkish Community, the under 16's were knocked out of the league cup 2-0 by Brook House, the under 15's lost 4-3 in the league at Headstone Manor B, while the under 12's lost 3-0 to Celtic A. Full details can be found as usual on the relevant team pages.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 04 December - Battling Dons lose at Salisbury

Despite a battling performance, particularly in the second half, Hendon lost 2-1 at Salisbury City and slipped to 10th place in the table. Salisbury took the lead in the 28th minute when they launched a counter attack which was completed by the unmarked Adam Wallace who headed the ball home. Just before half time Hendon were awarded a free kick just outside the 18 yard box which was duly converted by Dave Sargent as he curled the ball inside the near post. However there was still time for the Greens to concede a debatable penalty, the referee admitted at half time he had made a mistake, and Wallace fired home the spot kick. Hendon battled to find an equaliser in the second half, but John Frendo saw an excellent shot hit the bar and then the post before bouncing to safety, Gary Meakin hit a shot just over the bar while Mark Nicholls and Wayne Carter both saw shots go narrowly wide. Eugene Ofori had earlier hit the post in the first half. It turned out that it wasn't to be Hendon's day, and they left Wiltshire having been defeated

Posted at 20:00

Wednesday 01 December - Reserves lose despite fightback

A second half comeback wasn't enough for the reserves this evening as they were beaten 4-2 by Berkhamsted Town. 4-0 down soon after the break, they fought back through a penalty from Mark Burgess and a deflected goal from Chad Edwards to give some respectability to the scoreline.

Team : Siki Kambila, Marcus Izycki, Gilbert Nuako, Warren Clarke, Mark Burgess, Sami Lufti, James Burgess, Chad Edwards, Steve Brady, Anthony Robinson, Tom Woodcraft. Subs used : Roy Santos, Martin Delaney, Andy Sherry

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 01 December - Bryco Cup draw announced

The third round of the Bryco Cup draw was announced this morning, and we have been drawn at home to Leatherhead, who currently lie 8th in Division One. The Tanners reached this stage by defeating Newport IOW and Tooting & Mitcham United. The clubs last met in the 1982/83 season. The game is expected to take place on Monday, 3rd January 2005 at Claremont Road

Posted at 10:00