Hendon Green & Gold 46 - David Hyde

Greensnet Editor
Sun 30 Aug 2015, 10:46

Today's featured player is the last of the four players to have netted 100 goals in their Hendon career and the single-season goalscoring record-holder - David Hyde.

David Hyde joined Hendon at the start of the 1963-64 season, leaving Enfield along with Roy Sleap and Jimmy Quail. He had the attributes for a forward: strength, pace and one of the most powerful shots in football. He was also a good crosser of the ball and created almost as many goals as he scored. His debut came in the opening league game victory over Clapton and he netted his first goals - a double - on the Tuesday night when Ilford were beaten 7-1. Hendon were scoring goals for fun at the start of their Isthmian life and Dulwich Hamlet were the most harshly treated, conceding 19. David scored three as the Greens triumphed 10-1 at Claremont Road on the second Saturday, although he was outdone by four-goal Gerry O'Rourke. But in the return at Champion Hill, on the Saturday after Christmas, he bagged five in a 9-1 victory.

Almost uniquely that season, in the Isthmian League Hendon scored everything from nil to 10, but didn't win a game 1-0. It was a nearly season, with only the London Senior Cup won - Enfield beaten 1-0 in the final thanks to another O'Rourke goal - but the Greens were runners-up behind Wimbledon. In all David played in all but four matches and scored 37 goals - two fewer than O'Rourke.

However, great the 2014-15 season will end up for Hendon, it won't match 1964-65. The Greens won the Isthmian League championship - after a play-off against Enfield - the Amateur Cup - the era's equivalent of the FA Trophy - the Middlesex Senior Cup, reached the FA Cup first round proper and beat a strong Arsenal team in the London Challenge Cup.

David was at the centre of all the big events for Hendon. His club-record - one that will probably never be beaten - 59 goals, in 54 appearances, included a hat-trick in that memorable 4-3 win at Highbury, the only goal in a 2-1 loss to Port Vale at Vale Park in the FA Cup, two goals in the Amateur Cup Final and the first in the play-off at Dulwich's Champion Hill. Only in the Middlesex Senior Cup final did he miss out - Peter Slade got the only goal - but David grabbed four in an 8-0 win over Hounslow and both in the 2-1 defeat of Enfield in earlier rounds. The eye-catching totals earned David international recognition. He won four England Amateur caps and marked his debut against Wales with four goals.

Neither David, nor Hendon, could match their feats in 1965-66, though things started brightly for both player and team: he netted a hat-trick in the 8-3 opening game victory over Clapton and scored in seven of the first nine Isthmian League matches; the Greens won the first eight but then were held to a 1-1 draw by Wycombe Wanderers. It should be noted that Hendon, as well as playing on every Saturday and in midweek, added two prestigious friendlies to their schedule - an August Bank Holiday game against Whitley Bay for the Will Mather Cup and a game against the England Amateur XI. Maybe the stress of so many games caused Hendon to lose form, but it didn't help that David missed around one-third of the remaining 29 league matches. The Greens finished runners-up in the Isthmian League, two points behind champions Leytonstone. Their only consolation was being the top scorers in the division with 111 goals. After his flying start to the campaign, David's contribution was 'only' 10 in his last 20 League matches - overall he netted 22 times in 40 appearances. He did play in the Amateur Cup final at Wembley in April 1966, but Hendon were beaten 3-1 by Wealdstone. Future Hendon star Bobby Childs netted twice, the Greens' goal came from centre-half Geoff Riddy. One of the cup-ties David missed was the Middlesex Senior Cup semi-final replay against Wealdstone.

At the end of the season, David turned professional and signed for Wimbledon, who had joined the Southern League after winning the 1964 Isthmian League championship. He then moved to Brentwood Town, but returned to Claremont Road in April 1969 playing for the 1965 Amateur Cup winning-team against the then current squad. Later that year, now with Cambridge City, he played against the Greens in an FA Cup fourth qualifying round tie, but could not score as Hendon triumphed 1-0 at Claremont Road.

Joined Hendon: Summer 1963. Left Hendon: Spring 1966
Appearances: 140 (all starts). Goals: 118
Winners' medals won: FA Amateur Cup 1964-65, Isthmian League 1964-65, London Senior Cup 1963-64, Middlesex Senior Cup, 1964-65