News - October 2004

Sunday 31 October - Bryco Cup update

It has been announced by the Ryman League that all 22 Premier Division clubs have byes to the third round of the Bryco Cup, and will be joined by the 10 winners from the second round that takes place in mid-November. The third round is due to take place on Monday, 3rd January 2005 which is the New Year bank holiday.

Posted at 15:00

Sunday 31 October - Slough game postponed

Our league game at Slough Town on 13th November has been postponed. This is because Slough will be facing Walsall in the first round of the FA Cup following their 3-2 victory over Salisbury City this afternoon at Stag Meadow. As soon as the outstanding games have been rearranged, we will let you know.

Posted at 14:45

Saturday 30 October - Greens hit self destruct in cup

Hendon's FA Cup dream ended this afternoon as three players saw red in a 5-0 defeat at Stevenage Borough. The reward for Stevenage is a trip to Billericay Town in a fortnights time. The home side took the lead in the 12th minute when Anthony Elding scored, but from there on very little was created by either side in the first half, Hendon's best chance came towards the break when John Frendo was just unable to get on the end of a cross from Danny Julienne.

The self destruct button was hit for the first time in the 52nd minute when a number of Hendon players reacted angrily to a foul by Dannie Bulman. Bulman was cautioned for his challenge, but Mark Burgess was dismissed for his involvment in the fracas that had followed. Fifteen minutes later came the second red card, when Richard McDonagh was sent off for another angry reaction after the officials ruled that a challenge on him was fair. Stevenage had been in control and the extra men then told as the goals began to flow.

Michael Brough doubled the lead in the 73rd minute, and within two minutes George Boyd scored the third to put the game way out of reach of the Greens. Rob Quinn then scored an excellent goal from some distance in the 86th minute before in stoppage time Craig McAllister was brought down by Mark Nicholls just inside the penalty area, and McAllister stepped up to convert the spot kick. There was still time for James Burgess to be dismissed for an bad challenge on McAllister.

Mention must be made of the travelling support, who supported the team from start to finish, ending in a chant of "Tony Choules' Green and White Army" that lasted some fifteen minutes.

Posted at 18:45

Wednesday 27 October - Reserves thrashed by Rebels

The reserves were soundly thrashed 9-0 this evening by Slough Town at Claremont Road. The only shining light on an otherwise extremely disappointing night was 16 year old midfielder Chad Edwards.

Posted at 22:30

Tuesday 26 October - Hunt loaned to Hertford

Hertford Town have taken young midfielder Dave Hunt on a month's loan. The midfielder has featured nine times for the Greens so far this season, but as yet hasn't managed to gain a regular spot in the first eleven so will be hoping to prove himself while away from the club and play his way into Choules' plans for the near future.

Posted at 15:00

Tuesday 26 October - Match info for Saturday

As Saturday's game will see some slightly different arrangments to the usual for the match, we have been asked to make supporters aware of the differences. Firstly, as is usual at Stevenage, the game will be fully segregated, with Hendon fans having been alocated the all-seater Buildbase Stand at one end of the ground. This means several diferences in usual practices for our fans. Firstly, there will be no opportunity to change ends at half time, and neither will fans be able to use any of the other three sides of the ground. As this is an all seating stand, prices will be at Stevenage's higher tarrif of £13 for adults and £10 for concessions, so be prepared for higher prices than usual, especially if you're used to concession rates. If we recieve any more information before Saturday we will pass it on as soon as possible.

Posted at 14:45

Saturday 23 October - Second half blitz earns the points

After a poor first half, Hendon took control gradual of the second 45 minutes this afternoon to take the three points away from home side Kingstonian. It only took nine minutes for the Greens to find the net via Frendo, but the Surrey side improved on their start, finding the net twice through Williams and Rose - both beneficiaries of some lax defending by the away team - to go in at half time with the lead. The K's capitalised on their lead quickly in the second half, Lee finding himself unmarked at the far post to score the third. However, the Dons began to come alive going forwards in the second half, with good work from several players in the box creating Frendo's second. On 67 minutes, Nicholls drew the Greens level, and nine minutes later Ofori scored the winner after the referee signalled a good advantage for Hendon.

Posted at 19:00

Saturday 23 October - Two further interviews with Ivor

This week's main interview on the Ryman League clubcall line is an interview with our chairman Ivor Arbiter about last week's granting of planning permission and the impending move to Copthall. The interview can be heard by telephoning 09066 555 777 - although calls cost 60p per minute, so ensure you have permission from whoever pays the phone bill first.

Yesterday's edition of the Non-League paper, meanwhile, saw a page given over to the news with comments from Ivor, Dave Bedford and local protester Dorothy Baldrick along with the bulk of the paper's editorial. We will endevour to get permission to re-publish the full article on Greensnet later this week for those unable to obtain a copy yesterday, although this is reliant on the permission of Greenways Media.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 19 October - Greens earn extra time victory

Hendon needed extra time to do it, but tonight they ran out 3-1 winners over ten man Leyton, who had Scott Curley sent off for a headbutt late in the second half. Leyton took the lead in the 20th minute through the ever dangerous Manny Williams, but the Greens struck back 14 minutes later through Eugene Ofori. Hendon gradually took control of the game in the second half, and their workrate was rewarded when Ross Pickett headed home a corner to score his first goal since his return to the club in the 101st minute. The final goal came ten minutes later when a mishit cross from Mark Nicholls flew into the net from a very acute angle. The reward for the Greens is a trip to Stevenage Borough on Saturday, 30th October. Kick off at Broadhall Way will be at 3.00pm.

Posted at 23:30

Tuesday 19 October - Thanks for your support

The club would like to thank everyone who has shown their support in the past few weeks in the lead up to the planning meeting, particularly those who signed the petition - over 1100 names were submitted to the council last week.

Posted at 14:00

Tuesday 19 October - FA Cup replay tonight

Tonight sees us play Leyton for the third time inside a month as both sides bid for the chance to travel to Stevenage Borough in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup. Tonight's replay kicks off at 7.45pm at Claremont Road, and the squad would be delighted to see as many supporters as possible at the game. We look forward to seeing you all there.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 18 October - Outline planning permission granted

The planning application by Barnet Council for the redevelopment of the Claremont Road site was discussed this evening, and the very good news is that outline planning permission has been granted. Vice-chairman David Bedford said "This is great news for the future of Hendon Football Club." We will bring more news as to what happens next as soon as details are confirmed.

Posted at 21:00

Monday 18 October - Youth team round up

The Under 16's opened their county cup campaign with a 5-0 victory in their first round tie against AGV Youth thanks to goals from Joe Donaldson, Marcel Byfield (2), Ricky Campbell and Raj Ahmed. They face an away tie against Pinnacle Youth in the next round. The Under 12's however are out of their county cup following a 6-2 defeat at Sandgate. The score was 2-2 with 5 minutes to go when the home side hit a four goal salvo. Dean Rosenthal scored both goals.

The Under 15's put in an excellent performance to beat Headstone Manor B 5-0. Salah Abuukar led the way with a hat-trick along with strikes from Matthew Hornblow and Carmichael Boois. Meanwhile, the Under 18's finally began their season with a 3-0 win over Princes Park Rovers. The goals came from Kevin Egan, Stephan Chambers and Mohammed Liban. Full details can be found on the relevant team pages.

Posted at 14:30

Monday 18 October - Stevenage await replay winners

A tough tie has come out of the hat for the winners of tomorrow night's replay against Leyton. The winners will earn the right to travel to Conference National side Stevenage Borough who currently lie 9th in the table. The next round takes place on Saturday, 30th October, kick off at Broadhall Way will be at 3.00pm.

Posted at 13:00

Monday 18 October - Planning meeting tonight, your support requested

The crucial planning meeting at Barnet Council is being held tonight and chairman Ivor Arbiter has said that he would be grateful if any supporters are able to be at Hendon Town Hall tonight from around 6pm to show their support for the club. It would be great if supporters could wear their scarves and shirts where possible. The meeting itself starts at 7pm. Hendon Town Hall is in The Burroughs, NW4 and can be reached on the 183 bus that runs between Golders Green and Pinner.

Posted at 12:30

Sunday 17 October - Lottery syndicate deadline looming

Supporters are reminded that the deadline for getting your forms and cheques in is this coming Tuesday, 19th October. Please see Dave Garner in the club shop for more details. Just think, if you don't join, you could miss out on the jackpot.

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 16 October - Lucky Hendon earn replay

Hendon could only count themselves lucky this evening to have earnt a replay in a one sided cup tie at Leyton. The home side had far more chances, but their finishing was poor, apart from the goal scored by Michael Deane in the 50th minute to take the lead. Leyton had the ball in the net direct from a indirect freekick just before half time, but the goal was disallowed as you cannot score direct from an indirect freekick. Hendon did have a few chances the keeper was only beaten once as Richard McDonagh's strike flew just over the bar.

Things got worse for the Greens in the 71st minute when Dave Nolan was sent off for violent conduct and at that point it looked as though the FA Cup run had come to end. However, in the 89th minute the ball was half cleared by the Leyton defence, and it was Dave Sargent who drove the ball into the net much to the delight of the travelling support. The replay will take place on Tuesday evening at Claremont Road, kick off is at 7.45pm. Mention should be made of the return of popular striker Ross Pickett, who was a second half substitute. Ross made 62 appearances before he left in May 2002, scoring 16 goals.

Posted at 18:00

Thursday 14 October - Daily Express article

The Daily Express carried an article about the proposed move to Copthall on Tuesday which included comments from vice-chairman Dave Bedford. The full article by Mark Fleming can be read by clicking one of the links below. The PDF file is a scan of the article taken direct from the paper and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it. The SHTML file is just the text of the article.

Posted at 15:00

Wednesday 13 October - Reserves beaten by Ducks

The reserves disappointing start to the season continued with a 3-1 defeat at home to Aylesbury United this evening. The Ducks took the lead in the 42nd minute through Jim Horwood, before Adilson Lopez scored his first goal of the season to equalise in the 68th minute. However, four minutes later John Bromwell restored the lead for Aylesbury, and the victory was confirmed with two minutes to go by Cobi Sintin

Team : Andy Vincent, Marcus Izycki (Dan Edwards 67), Warren Clarke, Martin Westcott, Gilbert Nuako, Sami Lufti, Chad Edwards (Jack Woodcraft 86), Martin Delaney, Adilson Lopez (Wayne Thirkell 75), Gary Thirkell, Tom Woodcraft. Unused sub : Junior Howell.

Posted at 22:45

Wednesday 13 October - Non League Directories now available

The 2005 Non League Directory is now available in the club shop. Costing £17.00, reduced from the regular retail price of £19.50, this popular publication includes hundreds of league tables, along with directions and details on hundreds of non league clubs. To buy your copy please see either Paul Hutton or Chris Rogers in the club shop on matchdays.

Posted at 14:00

Wednesday 13 October - Volunteers required for AFC Wimbledon game

The Supporters Association are looking for volunteers to help out before the AFC Wimbledon game particularly selling programmes, raffle tickets and golden goal tickets. Those supporters volunteering will not miss the game, as the vast majority of sales are made before the game kicks off. Anyone who is willing to help should call into the club shop or see one of the committee members.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 12 October - Frendo earns three more points

Hendon moved back into a playoff spot this evening curtesy of a 1-0 win at Folkestone Invicta's New Pavillion ground. While the home side had the lions share of the first half, luckily for the Dons the score remained level at half time thanks to some last ditch defending and a number of goal-line clearances. However, whatever was said at half time certainly took effect, and a much better performance in the second half saw a goal just 10 minutes in, Mark Nicholls playing Frendo clear to set up a clinical finish. Invicta's failure to score in the remainder of the half allowed the Greens to stay in touch with the top sides, and leaves them level on points with Saturday's FA Cup opponents Leyton.

Posted at 23:45

Monday 11 October - Good win for under 16s

Hendon moved back into a playoff spot this evening curtesy of a 1-0 win at Folkestone Invicta's New Pavillion ground. While the home side had the lions share of the first half, luckily for the Dons the score remained level at half time thanks to some last ditch defending and a number of goal-line clearances. However, whatever was said at half time certainly took effect, and a much better performance in the second half saw a goal just 10 minutes in, Mark Nicholls playing Frendo clear to set up a clinical finish. Invicta's failure to score in the remainder of the half allowed the Greens to stay in touch with the top sides, and leaves them level on points with Saturday's FA Cup opponents Leyton.

Posted at 19:30

Sunday 10 October - Under 12s lose by odd goal

The under 12s put in a hard working performance this morning, and in the end were unlucky to go down to a 3-2 defeat against Old Isleworthians B. Dean Rosenthal gave them the perfect start in the 2nd minute with a fine run down the left wing before cutting into the box to score, but within ten minutes Old Isleworthians had equalised on the counter attack. Hendon had to soak up a lot of pressure and before half time conceded a second goal. With fifteen minutes to go Old Isleworthians went 3-1 ahead with a fine strike from outside the box, but things were set up for a frantic finish when Rosenthal scored direct from a corner five minutes later. Shortly before the end Tony Teegan was unlucky to shoot wide when given a chance for a late equaliser.

Elsewhere today, the under 15s lost by the same scoreline against Willows, who took an early lead. Hendon scored a controversial equaliser which the referee ruled had just crossed the line, much to the dismay of the Willows defenders. Willows regained the lead with a long distance strike midway through the second half, only to find Matthew Hornblow equalise soon afterwards. The winning goal came with five minutes to go when a Hendon defender handled the ball to give away a penalty which was despatched clinically.

The Under 18's were in action yesterday drawing 1-1 with one of the mens teams from the Middlesex County League, putting in a performance that delighted manager Mark Crawford. At the time of writing there is no news from the under 16s. The usual youth team round up will be online sometime in the next 24 hours.

Posted at 14:30

Saturday 09 October - Greens unfortunate to lose

Hendon were a touch unfortunate to lose 2-1 at Cheshunt this afternoon. Having taken a 15th minute lead thanks to a well worked goal that was finished with a close range header by Mark Nicholls, the Greens were hauled back when Leon Archer scored on the break a few minutes later. Hendon had a number of chances to regain the lead but were unable to get the final decisive touch in front of goal, and were made to pay the penalty in the 75th minute when Cheshunt counter attacked again and Archer forced the ball home to score what turned out to be the winner.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 09 October - AFC Wimbledon win in FA Trophy

We will be playing AFC Wimbledon in the First Round of the FA Trophy on Saturday 6th November at Claremont Road. The Wombles beat Metropolitan Police this afternoon in the Preliminary Round.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 09 October - Reserves well beaten

The reserves had a heavy defeat at Gravesend & Northfleet in the league cup on Wednesday night, losing 6-0 in a game that didn't kick off until 9pm due to traffic problems. No further details are currently available.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 08 October - Choules responds to rumours

As some supporters will be aware, there have been rumours on various messageboards today suggesting that manager Tony Choules is on the verge of resigning. Tony has phoned us this evening to confirm that nothing could be further from the truth and that he is the victim of a practical joke from work colleagues who support other local sides. He said "I am enjoying every minute of my time with the club and have absolutely no intention of resigning. I know who the idiots concerned are, and I would like to make it clear to them that they have overstepped the mark. I look forward to seeing everyone at Cheshunt tomorrow afternoon."

Posted at 17:30

Wednesday 06 October - Club office burgled

The club office was burgled on Monday night, resulting in the theft of both computers, while the rest of the office was turned over presumably in the hunt for money. This continues the recent spate of burglaries and break ins in and around the premises, including several vehicles last Tuesday night and during previous midweek games, as well as the ground itself and the tea bar. The theft of the computers has left the office out of action for the time being and anyone who has the e-mail address for the office are advised to use the website e-mail address until further notice and your e-mails will be passed on to the relevant people. It is also likely to affect the production of the matchday programme until the computers can be replaced.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 05 October - Reserves in cup action tomorrow

The reserves are in cup action tomorrow evening as they make the trip to Gravesend & Northfleet for a Capital League Cup First Round tie. Kick off at Stonebridge Road is at 7.45pm, and the squad will be delighted if any supporters are able to make the trip.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 05 October - Youth team round up

It was a disappointing weekend for our youth teams as both the under 15's and under 12's saw their games end in defeat. The under 12's however can hold their heads up high as it took a late four goal burst from their opponents, and reigning league champions, Old Isleworthians who eventually won 8-3. The Hendon goals were scored by Max Nqai, Tony Teegan and Dean Rosenthal. Meanwhile the under 15's slipped to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Kensington Dragons, their consolation goal came from Assam Zaid. The under 18's opening game of the season was postponed, while the under 16's were without a game.

Posted at 09:45

Monday 04 October - It's Leyton next in the FA Cup

The third qualifying round draw of the FA Cup has been made this morning, and we will be travelling to Leyton on Saturday 16th October. The game will kick off at 3.00pm. We played Leyton just ten days ago in the league with the outcome being a dour 0-0 draw.

Posted at 13:00

Saturday 02 October - Greens progress in FA Cup

Hendon continued their progress in the FA Cup this afternoon with a 3-1 victory at Bedford Town. The Greens drew early blood when Mark Nicholls scored in the 7th minutes, and within a minute Dave King was a hero when he saved a penalty from René Howe. An excellent advantage from the referee led to the second goal in the 38th minute as Dave Nolan fed the ball wide to Danny Julienne, being fouled in the process, and Julienne shot at goal. James Robinson in the Bedford goal was only able to parry the ball to John Frendo who scored clinically.

The third goal came in the 55th minute when Frendo bundled the ball home from a corner to put the game out of reach of Bedford. The afternoon was soured slightly when Mark Burgess was sent off for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity and Lee Howarth netted the resulting penalty. Bedford did create further chances but found Dave King in excellent form as he pulled off a string of saves much to the delight of the travelling support. The draw for the next round will be made on Monday morning, and the game will take place on the 16th October, meaning that our home league game against Windsor & Eton has been postponed.

Posted at 18:45