News - January 2008

Wednesday 30 January - Leyton up next

Our opponents in the quarter-finals of the London Senior Cup will be Leyton, who beat Beckenham Town 3-2 last night at Lea Bridge Road. The date for the game will be announced in due course but is likely to be in the next six weeks or so.

Posted at 08:30

Tuesday 29 January - Hendon into quarter-finals

Hendon progressed into the quarter-finals of the London Senior Cup tonight with a comfortable 3-0 win at Corinthian-Casuals, the first meeting between the two sides since the 1973-74 season. The Greens, who made a number of changes to their line-up, took the lead through Casey Maclaren in the 28th minute, whilst Lubomir Guentchev struck twice in the second half to make the game safe. The quarter-finals will see us travel to either Leyton or Beckenham Town who are also playing tonight. We will update as soon as we know the result from Lea Bridge Road.

Posted at 21:45

Tuesday 29 January - 200 up for Burgess

Tonight saw the 200th first team appearance in a Hendon shirt for James Burgess. The tough tackling midfielder joined the club in 2001 and made his debut as a substitute on 2nd February 2002 against Cambridge City in an FA Trophy replay game staged at St Albans City's Clarence Park ground. His first start came twelve days later against Aldershot Town in the Ryman League Cup. James, who is yet to score a goal for the first team, has played an important part in the squad over the past six years, and we hope that he has many more appearances to come.

Posted at 21:40

Saturday 26 January - Greens still searching for points

Hendon are still searching for their first league points of 2008 after they slipped to a deserved 3-1 defeat at Harlow Town. The Greens took the lead in the 32nd minute when Brian Haule converted a penalty, but David Lee equalised for Harlow six minutes later. Three minutes into the second half Raphael Sylvester put Harlow ahead, and thirteen minutes from time Lee scored his second of the afternoon, this one from the penalty spot.

Posted at 19:00

Tuesday 22 January - Northwood win through

Our opponents in the semi-finals of the Middlesex Senior Cup will be Northwood following their 3-1 win at Edgware Town this evening. The tie is due to be played during the week commencing 18th February.

Posted at 23:45

Tuesday 22 January - Greens progress in Middlesex Cup

With both sides fielding near full strength line-ups, Hendon ran out 3-2 winners at Staines Town to reach the semi-finals of the Middlesex Senior Cup this evening. Brian Haule gave the Greens an 8th minute lead, and after Davis Haule had missed a penalty, Jamie Busby made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time. Staines hit back early in the second half with goals from Adrian Toppin and Mark Nwokeji, but it was the returning Belal Aiteouakrim, in his first game back from injury, who scored the winner for the Greens. Our opponents will either be Edgware Town or Northwood, who were also in action this evening.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 22 January - No Livescores today or Saturday

We regret to inform our supporters that use the Livescores service that, due to continued illness, we are unable to bring the service to you tonight or for the Harlow Town game on Saturday. It is also unlikely that we will be able to bring the service for next weeks game at Corinthian-Casuals. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes, but please be assured that the website will be updated as soon as possible after each game ends.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 22 January - No inspection required at Staines

Staines Town have confirmed this morning that there are no plans for an inspection ahead of this evening's Middlesex Senior Cup quarter-final tie at Wheatsheaf Lane. The game this evening kicks off at 7.45pm and will be played to a finish, including extra-time and penalties if required.

Posted at 09:45

Sunday 20 January - Snowball update

Due to the postponement yesterday, the January snowball draw has also been postponed. Current plans are that both the January and February draws will be made at half-time of our game against Margate on Saturday 23rd February

Posted at 09:00

Sunday 20 January - Weekend washout

Hendon's Ryman League Premier Division fixture with Ashford Town (Middlesex) was postponed at 2.20 on Saturday, disappointing fans who had travelled up to 4,500 miles to see the game. The bad weather was not confined to the Hendon first team. All of the teams, Under-21s, Under-16s and Under-15s, had their matches postponed days before the scheduled kick-off, while the Under-14s had no fixture.

With bad weather forecast for much of England, including, possibly the south of England, Hendon officials took no chances and provisionally arranged for a 9.30 am inspection on Saturday morning. However, as the weather was not as bad as had been feared, this provisional inspection was cancelled.

Although damp, there was little more than a light drizzle during the morning, nothing that would have significantly changed the state of pitch between the morning and lunchtime. When the referee arrived at 1.00, he made a thorough inspection and passed the pitch playable, but with two provisos. Firstly, the pre-match warm-up by both teams didn't cause too much damage to the pitch and there were no downpours.

The Hendon squad warmed up across the breadth of the pitch and didn't leave too many marks. Ashford, however, did some close range sprints and turns in one small area which became heavily scarred.

When the match official looked again at the pitch at 2.15, he saw the damage done to this section of the pitch. Fearing that the remainder of the pitch would suffer similarly, he decided to call off the game.

Although the shuttle sprints warm-up would not mimic game action, the referee felt that too much damage could be done over the 90 minutes.

Hendon manager Gary McCann said, "It was touch and go today and some referees would have gone ahead and others not. I think the pitch we played on when Billericay came here last month was in a worse condition than this one is now, but that's the way it goes.

"It's just a shame that everybody was ready for the game, the players were there and had changed and warmed up, the weather hadn't deteriorated and, of course, fans had travelled to the game."

A couple of fans came from Southampton, but the biggest losers were a family living in Colorado who were in the area on a holiday visiting family and they decided to come to Claremont Road for this fixture. Sadly, for them, especially the "soccer-mad" youngsters their holiday will be over before Hendon have another home game.

Although the family didn't get to see a game, they did at least enjoy a walk around the ground at Claremont Road and they will have the small consolation of being able to return to Colorado with Hendon favours bought from the club shop.

No new date has yet been set for the game, but Hendon have no problems with fixture congestion, having played more games than all the others in the Ryman League Premier Division.

Posted at 08:45

Saturday 19 January - O'Sullivan makes his debut

Wayne O'Sullivan celebrated his move to Stevenage by making his debut as a substitute in the 77th minute of their 5-0 victory over Droylsden at Broadhall Way. We hope that it is the first of many appearances for Wayne as he looks to make an impression in the Blue Square Premier.

Posted at 19:45

Saturday 19 January - Today's game now postponed

This afternoon's game against Ashford Town (Middlesex) was called off by the match referee at 2.20pm. Despite having earlier given the game the go-ahead, the official felt that the pitch was cutting up too much during the players warm ups and after consulting with both managers decided to call the game off. The club would like to apologise to all those supporters who had a wasted journey to Claremont Road today, but we are sure that everyone understands that we have to respect the decision of the referee.

Posted at 14:25

Saturday 19 January - Today's game is on

There has been no heavy rain overnight, so no early inspection has been required and we expect this afternoon's game to go ahead as planned. Unless there are any further updates, it is safe to assume that the game is going ahead. Any updates will be posted to the website rather than the messageboard.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 18 January - Pitch news

The club have provisionally booked a pitch inspection for 9.30am tomorrow morning, should one be required. At the current time the Claremont Road pitch is playable, but it will very much depend on how much rain their is overnight. There will be a further update to the website no later than 11.00am in the morning.

Posted at 19:45

Friday 18 January - Page returns and Massey joins

The club have announced this morning that Sam Page, following the expiration of his three month loan spell, has been released from his contract by MK Dons. As a result, Sam has agreed to join the club on a permanent basis with immediate effect.

Also, the club has agreed to sign defender Alan Massey on loan from Wycombe Wanderers, initially for a month. Those supporters who attended the game at Wealdstone in November, will remember Alan having a particularly good game in defence for the Stones.

Posted at 19:30

Thursday 17 January - Casuals game rearranged

Our away London Senior Cup tie against Corinthian-Casuals that was postponed this week has now been arranged for Tuesday 29th January at 7.45pm.

Posted at 19:30

Thursday 17 January - Page loan ends

Sam Page's loan spell with us has come to an end as we have reached the maximum three months we could have him on loan. He has now returned to MK Dons with our best wishes for the future, and our thanks for his efforts over the past three months. In this second loan spell with us, Sam made 16 appearances.

Posted at 19:00

Thursday 17 January - O'Sullivan joins Stevenage

The club has announced this afternoon that Wayne O'Sullivan has signed for Stevenage Borough on a 2 and a half year contract. Gary McCann, speaking to the website this afternoon, said that the move was thoroughly deserved for Wayne after his performances for the club and that is attitude and effort every since he came to the club in the summer of 2006 was second to none. Gary was keen to point out that Wayne goes with his blessing, that Wayne had turned down a number of offers from clubs in the Ryman league and Conference South in recent weeks, and throughout all the discussions Wayne had remained professional in his attitude and workrate in training and matches.

During his time with the club Wayne made 78 appearances, scoring 22 goals. This season alone he had scored 18 goals in 31 appearances. Everyone at Hendon would like to thank Wayne for all his efforts and performances during the past couple of years, and wish him all the best for the future as he looks to progress his career.

Posted at 19:00

Wednesday 16 January - Fancy playing for the supporters team?

The supporters team, managed by Eddie Edwards, have a fixture planned for Saturday 26th January against Harlow Town ahead of the first team's fixture against them. Anyone who would like to join the squad are asked to contact Eddie as soon as possible on A game is also provisionally planned for Saturday 16th February against Maidstone United and it is hoped to arrange one or two other games before the end of the season.

Posted at 19:45

Monday 14 January - Corinthian-Casuals game postponed

Tomorrow evenings London Senior Cup tie at Corinthian-Casuals has been postponed. The pitch at their ground is already saturated following the weekend rain, along with the rain this afternoon, and with heavy rain forecast for overnight and tomorrow, there is no chance of the game going ahead. A new date for the game will be advised in due course.

Posted at 19:30

Monday 14 January - Happier weekend for youth

Two of our youth teams were in action this weekend, and both were victorious. The under 21s ran out 5-3 winners at Phoenix Rovers, Raphael O'Selle scoring 4 goals, whilst Jermaine Ankrah was the hero for the under 16s as he made two penalty shootout saves as the under 16s beat Ealing Shamrock 6-5 on penalties after a 2-2 draw in the league cup.

Posted at 19:15

Saturday 12 January - It's another defeat for Hendon

Hendon are still looking for their first points of 2008 following this afternoon's 2-1 defeat at Ramsgate. The Greens took the lead in the 14th minute through Brian Haule, but the game was lost in the space of five second half minutes. Firstly Dan Dolton scored from 25 yards in the 65th minutes, before Warren Schulz converted a penalty four minutes later after a clumsy challenge. Ramsgate were reduced to ten men in stoppage time when Andy Hadden was cautioned for a second time but the Greens had no time to take advantage of the extra man.

Posted at 19:45

Wednesday 09 January - No livescores this weekend

It is with regret that due to illness we will not be able to provide the usual livescores service this weekend. It is also likely that this will affect the game at Corinthian-Casuals next Tuesday evening. We will update the website as soon as we are able after each game as normal.

Posted at 15:00

Monday 07 January - Youth team disappointment

Just two of our youth teams were in action this weekend, both games ending in disappointment. The under 21s lost 6-4 at home to FC Tilburg Regents, Glenn Garner and Raphael O'Selle both netting twice, whilst Luke Azumah was the only scorer for the under 14s as they were hammered 10-1 by Actual Soccer. Full updates and the latest league tables can be found through the links below.

Posted at 15:00

Saturday 05 January - Greens have a shocker

Hendon were thoroughly outplayed in all departments this afternoon by Carshalton Athletic. The Robins, who had only scored 17 goals in the league so far this season, ran out comprehensive 5-0 winners, and it was a thoroughly deserved win for the Surrey side. The opening goal came in the 36th minute courtesy of Tony Quinton to make it 1-0 at half-time. Three quick goals early in the second half took the game away from the Greens, before Michael Johnson completed the scoring in the 73rd minute.

Posted at 15:00

Wednesday 02 January - Awards for Wayne & Richard

Wayne O'Sullivan and Richard Wilmot have both picked up awards for their recent performances. Wayne has won the golden boot award for November & December having scored 10 goals in that time. The award was held over two months because during November six players in the league had scored three goals. The league then decided to hold the award over and issue two awards at the end of December. The winner of the other award was our former midfielder Paul Johnson who scord 7 goals for Ashford Town (Middx).

Richard Wilmot picked up the Safe Hands award having conceded just 3 goals during the month of December. Everyone connected with the club would like to congratulate both players on their awards which are thoroughly deserved.

Posted at 15:00

Tuesday 01 January - Wombles win new year game

In the only Ryman Premier game today, AFC Wimbledon beat Hendon 3-2. The Wombles took the lead in the 28th minute when Jon Main converted a spot kick and the game seemed to go out of reach of the Greens when Tony Finn and Mark DeBolla scored in the 70th and 72nd minutes respectively. However, as has been seen on many occasions this season, Hendon never give up and were rewarded when Brian Haule headed home in the 78th minute. Five minutes later Scott Shulton was left unmarked 25 yards from goal and he lashed the ball home and deep into injury time the Greens nearly scored an equaliser when Lubo Guentchev's shot on the turn was headed off the line by Sam Hatton.

Posted at 20:30