News - January 2004

Saturday 31 January - Heybridge game postponed

This afternoon's league game at Heybridge Swifts has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch following the thaw and heavy rain overnight. A new date for the game will be advised in due course.

Posted at 11:30

Saturday 24 January - Dons revenge Missioners

Hendon gained revenge for the defeat at Hayes earlier in the season by winning 3-2 this afternoon at Claremont Road. The Dons took the lead in the 20th minute when Dwayne Plummer fired the ball home, and in the 28th minute Scott Cousins doubled the lead with an excellent strike. The third goal came just three minutes later Marien Ifura netted to score his first goal for the club, a feat shared by Plummer. Hayes received a boost in the 35th minute when Jon Case took advantage of a slip in defence to score, and Hendon fans were left on tenterhooks when Josh Scott pulled a second goal back in the 82nd minute. However, the Dons held firm to keep hold of the three points.

Posted at 18:30

Wednesday 21 January - Reserves lose at Yeading

Despite fielding a strong side the reserves lost 2-1 at Yeading this evening. The big boost was the return of Steve Butler and Andre Delisser from injury. Hendon had two or three good chances in the opening half hour, but the strikers from Pat Gavin and Martin Randall failed to find the target. Punishment came in the 38th minute when a corner was only half cleared, and Leon Woodruffe fired the ball home from 20 yards. The lead was doubled midway through the second half by Devon Annal who broke through the Hendon defence. The consolation came with seven minutes to go when a 25 yard strike from Andre Delisser looked to be covered by the Yeading keeper, but he managed to fumble the ball and it trickled over the line.

Team : Lindsay, Booth, McLeish, M.Burgess, Butler (Lopes 76), Llewellyn (Unal 72), Delisser, Forde, Randall, Gavin, J.Burgess. Unused sub : Vincent

Posted at 22:30

Tuesday 20 January - Penalty enough to defeat Greens

Hendon lost this evening's encounter with Grays Athletic by a single goal, a second half penalty being enough for the Blues. While the Greens probably shaded the first half with the better chances the Essex side showed their intent with a number of shots, albeit not troubling Dave King too unduely. However, in the 56th minute a clear handball in the Hendon penalty area led to a penalty which Freddie Eastwood comfortably converted. The Don's woes weren't over either, as twenty minutes later Ricci Crace went into a challenge with 'keeper Mel Capleton late, and received a red card for his trouble.

Posted at 23:00

Saturday 17 January - Dons denied by controversial goal

The Dons lost 1-0 at Canvey Island this afternoon, the goal coming in very controversial circumstances in the 28th minute. A freekick appeared to be awarded to the Greens on the edge of the centre circle, despite it quite clearly being a Canvey player who was fouled. While the Hendon players began to take their positions to take the kick, the referee admitted his error and allowed Canvey to take the free kick which was passed to Lee Boylan who finished clinically.

Away from the controversy, both sides created a number of chances during the game, Canvey could well have been three goals ahead within 10 minutes. Hendon's best chances fell to Eugene Ofori, Ricci Crace, new signing Dwayne Plummer and Martin Randall, but they were only able to either find the side netting or saw home keeper Danny Potter make a good save. Greens keeper Dave King made a number of good saves throughout the game. Despite the controversy, it should be said that no Canvey player can be blamed for what happened with the goal, and it is quite clear that Canvey Island are the best side in the league and should go on to win the title, and we wish them the best of luck.

Posted at 18:30

Wednesday 14 January - County cup date set

The date has been fixed for our Middlesex Senior Cup tie at Northwood. The game will take place at Chestnut Avenue on Wednesday, 4th February, kicking off at 7.45pm. The winners will travel to either Harrow Borough or Southall in the semi finals. The other half of the draw sees Uxbridge entertain Hayes, the winners of which will travel to either Hampton & Richmond Borough or Bedfont. Should we reach the final, it will take place on Easter Monday at Yeading.

Posted at 18:00

Wednesday 14 January - Reserve game postponed

Tonights reserve team game against Chesham United at Claremont Road has been postponed. As the reserves only have two games left this season it was felt that it wasn't worth risking the pitch unnecessarily.

Posted at 14:00

Saturday 10 January - First win in 2004 for Greens

Hendon won their first game of 2004 this afternoon as they beat Braintree Town 1-0 at Claremont Road. The goal came in the 38th minute when a free kick from Scott Cousins was flicked on by Andy Cook and Eugene Ofori netted with a diving header for his 16th goal of the season. The injury hit Greens had chances to extend the lead but found the visiting keeper Paul Rutherford in good form as he made a couple of good saves.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 10 January - Two new faces

Dave Anderson has made his first two signings for 2004. Joining on loan from Queens Park Rangers is youth academy central defender Marien Ifura, who made his debut this afternoon against Braintree Town. Marien will be with us until such time as QPR require his services. The second signing is striker John Frendo from Ware. However, supporters will only see John in Capital League action has he will be returning to Ware on loan until the end of the season. We welcome both players to the club and hope that they enjoy their time with us.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 09 January - Fixture update

Our two outstanding league games have been arranged. We will play host to Ford United on Tuesday, 24th February. Our trip to Hornchurch has been arranged for Tuesday, 30th March. Both games will kick off at 7.45pm. The only game now awaiting a date is our Middlesex Senior Cup tie at Northwood, which should take place sometime in February.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 07 January - Convincing win for reserves

The reserves convincingly beat Harrow Borough 4-0 this evening, all the goals coming in the second half. The first half was entertaining but very few chances were created by either side. The first goal came on the hour mark, Luke Sheekey finding the back of the net, and just two minutes later trialist John Frendo doubled the lead. Fabian Forde scored the third goal, which was the best of the night as he completed an excellent move involving a number of players. Forde was also the scorer of the fourth goal shortly before the end of the game.

Team : Lindsay, M.Burgess, Booth, J.Burgess, Duncan, Llewellyn (McLeish), Goran, Sheekey, Forde, Frendo, Huggett (Unal). Unused sub : Vincent.

Posted at 22:30

Saturday 03 January - Robins knock Greens out

Hendon were deservedly knocked out of the Bryco Cup this afternoon at Bracknell Town, losing 4-3 after extra time. However, had the Greens been able to finish their chances, they would have been out of sight within the first half hour. In that period, they had no less than 10 scoring chances, none of which found the back of the net. However, they did take the lead in the 33rd minute when Dale Binns flicked the ball home from a Martin Randall cross. The home side had the benefit of the slope in the second half and took the lead courtesy of an Adam Crittenden goal which was badly fumbled by Dave King in the 62nd minute. Within four minutes they had taken the lead when Gavin Smith netted from the penalty spot, Mark Burgess having been sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity when he hauled down a striker

In the 75th minute the Greens equalised in bizarre circumstances when a long free kick from Dean Brennan was fumbled by home keeper Martin Hutt, and the linesman ruled that the ball crossed the line before it could be cleared. It was questionable whether the ball had crossed the line, many Hendon supporters felt that it hadn't. The game then went into extra time and Bracknell took the lead through Adam Crittenden within two minutes, and the same player completed his hat-trick in the 110th minute. A minute later Eugene Ofori gave Hendon late hope, but Bracknell held on and deservedly move into the fourth round of the competition.

Posted at 18:45

Thursday 01 January - Dons earnt point against Thurrock!

Hendon were delighted to earn a point against bogey side Thurrock this afternoon at Claremont Road, fighting back in the second half to draw 1-1. It wasn't until the 37th minute that the deadlock was broken by Paul Linger, who took advantage of lacklustrue defending to finish well for Thurrock. However, the Greens plugged away in the second half, and finally the breakthrough came in the 66th minute when Dean Brennan scored his second goal for the club, again a superb free kick finding the corner of the net.

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 01 January - Thurrock game is on

Following an inspection by the match referee, this afternoon's game against Thurrock has been given the go ahead. Obviously given the heavy overnight rain the pitch will be heavy, but in the opinion of the referee it is playable. Kick off this afternoon is at 3.00pm, and we hope to see as many of you as possible there.

Posted at 12:00

Thursday 01 January - Midday inspection

There will be a pitch inspection at approximately midday to see whether our game against Thurrock this afternoon will go ahead. We will update the website with the result of the inspection as soon as we get it.

Posted at 10:00