Covid-19: Supporters are starting to be readmitted to games where possible. However, all clubs have varying procedures to be followed. Please always check ticketing details and other requirements on our news pages and also with the host club before travelling.

For further details on some of the measures we are taking, please see our coronavirus risk assessment and accompanying notes

(Not) On This Day: 12th April

Greensnet Editor
Tue 13 Apr 2021, 10:35

Moving swiftly on to 12th April with our ‘not… on this day’ series and we begin in 1913 with the club’s first ever senior cup final appearance. It was in the Middlesex Charity Cup at Staines that Hampstead Town met Uxbridge Town. Ollie Sumner gave Hampstead Town the lead that was equalised almost immediately before Uxbridge Town went on to score the winner. The Ham & High described the Hampstead performance as ‘disappointing.’

A dozen years later in 1925 the club were in Liege, Belgium to contest the Meuse Cup. Their opponents were Stade de Francais, who included six French internationals, and in front of a mammoth crowd of more than 20,000, Hampstead Town triumphed 6-1. Ken Seabrooke scored a hat-trick and was aided by Cecil Wise (2) and Freddie Young. Five years later in 1930, as the 4th test between West Indies and England ended in a draw after nine days play, Bill Butland was on target for Hampstead in a 3-1 Athenian League defeat to Leyton.

11-years later in 1941, on a date that would prove seismic for English football as Bobby Moore was born, Jack Birkbeck was on target in a Herts & Middlesex County League match with Met Police that would cause rather less of a tremor across the footballing world, the Met winning 4-1. Moving into the post-war period in 1947 the Greens moved into their third consecutive Middlesex Charity Cup Final as they beat Wealdstone 3-1 in the semi-final thanks to two goals from Bernard Bryant and one from Pat Lynch, this on the day that David Letterman and Tom Clancy were born.

Two years later in 1949 a Bill Reay goal proved the difference in a North London Athenian League derby with Enfield, the Greens winning 1-0 and five years further on in 1954 goals from Dexter Adams, Cliff Nock and Micky Stewart secured a 3-2 win at Finchley, this on a day that proved to be seminal in the history of rock n roll as Bill Haley and the Comets recorded Rock Around the Clock and Joe Turner released Shake, Rattle & Roll.

In 1958 on the day that Echo & the Bunnymen guitarist Will Sergeant was born, the Greens went nap with a 5-0 win over Redhill in the Athenian League. Roy Thomas led the way with two goals backed up by Tommy Lawrence, Jimmy Quail and Miles Spector with one each.
Spector was on target once again 4-years later in 1962 along with John Hazell and Denny Smith, however Hitchin Town, the opponents on this occasion, triumphed 4-3. This was a bitter-sweet day for the motorsport world as two-time Le Mans winner Ron Flockhart was killed in an air-crash whilst preparing to break the record for flying from Sydney to London, however future two-time World Rally champion Carlos Sainz was born in Madrid.

A year later in 1963 Walton & Hersham won 2-0 in an Athenian League match at Stompond Lane and that run of defeats continued in 1967 as Wycombe Wanderers won 4-2 at Loakes Park, this on the day that Saint-Etienne – the band of which long-time Hendon supporter Bob Stanley is part of, immortalising Bontcho Guentchev, Claremont Road and the visit to Newcastle in song - singer, Sarah Cracknell, was born. Roy Sleap grabbed the two Hendon goals.

The first leg of the 1971 Middlesex Senior Cup final against Enfield at Southbury Road ended in a 1-0 defeat, John Wilson coming closest for the Greens when he hit the bar late on and that run of four straight defeats came to an end in 1975, on the day that French actress Josephine Baker passed away, as Eggie James grabbed the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win over Leytonstone.

Two-years later in 1977 the Greens moved into the last-four of the Isthmian League cup as goals from John Butterfield and George Brooks secured a 2-0 win over Woking and then in 1980 Croydon came to Claremont Road and perfected the art of the away win as they returned south of the river with a 1-0 win, this on the same day that the US Olympic Committee endorsed the boycott of the Moscow Olympic games later that year.

Striker Phil Brown was the hero in 1982 as Bishop’s Stortford were beaten 5-0 at Claremont Road as he helped himself to no fewer than four goals, Graeme Sewell netted the other goal before a goalless draw a year later at Tooting & Mitcham United. 1984 saw it become three matches in three years on 10th April as Adrian Smith netted at Sutton United, unfortunately the Us grabbed five of their own to complete a 5-1 win at Gander Green Lane.

The busy 1980s continued in 1986 as Colin Tate grabbed the goal to secure a point in a 1-1 draw at Carshalton Athletic in a rather more successful visit to the Surrey commuter belt than two-years before 1988 saw a first win of the decade as Andy Smith grabbed the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win over Hayes at Claremont Road.

After that rush of action in the 1980s it wasn’t until 1994 that the Greens first saw action on this day in the 90s and it was goals from Paul Kelly and Steve Heffer that secured a 2-1 win over Dulwich Hamlet in the semi-final of the Full Members Cup to set up a first final in the competition against Wokingham Town. Nine years later in 2003 a late Mark Cooper goal saved the Greens’ blushes at Hitchin Town as he grabbed the equaliser against the Canaries who had seen two men dismissed before the break but hold a 2-1 lead at the interval. Lee Endersby was the other Hendonian on target.

Just a year on and Cooper suffered a serious injury during the Middlesex Senior Cup final against Uxbridge held at The Warren, Yeading. Dale Binns was also sent off but the Greens netted twice in extra time through Martin Randall and Dave Hunt to secure a third consecutive Middlesex Senior Cup final win under Dave Anderson. Eugene Ofori had earlier given the Greens the lead in normal time that was equalised in the second half.

Davis Haule was on target twice in 2008 as Gary McCann’s side kept their play-off hopes alive with a 2-1 win over Chelmsford City at Claremont Road then three-years later Tonbridge Angels produced their ritual slaughter of the Greens at Vale Farm with a comfortable 3-0 win. We finish today with a bland goalless draw against Canvey Island on the Essex riviera in 2014, the game ending 0-0.

Of the 25 competitive matches (not including the Meuse Cup tie), the Greens have won 11, drawn four and lost 10. 40 goals have been scored and 38 conceded.