Covid-19: All football related activities are on hold at present. For details on some of the other measures we are taking, please see our coronavirus risk assessment and accompanying notes

On This Day: 3rd February

Greensnet Editor
Wed 03 Feb 2021, 07:44

We move onto 3rd February with our latest retrospective and begin in 1912 with a friendly match at Slough Town which was won 3-2.

In a 1923 Middlesex Charity Cup tie Tufnell Park were beaten by the same scoreline at The Avenue Ground with Freddie Young grabbing a crucial hat-trick and 11-years later in 1934 the 100% record on this day was maintained with a 5-3 Athenian League win over Hayes. Cyril Drinkwater netted twice, Ronnie Rowe, Billy Breagan and Herbert Knott collected the goals.

1945 saw Hitchin Town arrive at Claremont Road for a Herts & Middlesex County League match that ended all-square 3-3, Harry Robshaw scoring twice and G Cox with the other goal before in 1951 Corinthian Casuals were beaten 2-0 in a London Senior Cup tie thanks to a pair of Bob Avis strikes.

Although there was a 17-year wait before the next game on 3rd February, it was well worth it as David Hogwood, Don Whyte and Bobby Wilson struck in a 1968 3-0 Isthmian League win, also against Corinthian Casuals. Then John Baker was on target in a London Senior Cup replay against Enfield in 1973 that ended 1-1.

Another replay followed in 1976, this time in the FA Trophy against Slough Town and once again neither side was able to find a winner as the match ended goalless, the outcome was the same in 1987 in a Middlesex Senior Cup tie at home to Harrow Borough in which neither side found the target.

A goal from Jimmy Bolton proved nothing more than a consolation as Neil Price’s struggles continued against St Albans City, who returned from Claremont Road with a 2-1 win and in 2007 a crowd of a shade over 1000 saw champions-elect Chelmsford City win at Melbourne Park by the only goal of the game.

2014 saw Enfield Town predictably win an Isthmian League match at Earlsmead 3-0 but there was better luck a year later as the successful League Cup campaign continued with a hard fought 1-0 win over Hampton & Richmond Borough at Earlsmead thanks to a Kezie Ibe strike.

We end our retrospective in 2018 as leading scorer Niko Muir roared back to form with his fifth hat-trick of the campaign as struggling Burgess Hill Town were beaten 4-2 at the Green Elephants Stadium. A late Josh Walker strike from the bench sealed the points for the Greens as they put to bed an indifferent run of form and recharged their play-off push.

Of 13 competitive matches to have been played on 3rd February six matches have been won, four drawn and three lost. 23 goals have been scored and 17 conceded.