Reserves News, 1924/1925

Friday 24 April - Hospital cup-tie

At the Cricklewood-lane enclosure on Monday evening Hampstead Town Reserves met Tufnell Park Reserves in the "Daily Chronicle" Hospital Shield [replay]. Brooker, who captained the side, won the toss and chose to play with the wind. Hampstead were soon on the attack, and after a few minutes, following a good run on the left wing and a good centre from Smith, Rowe narrowly missed with a header. For some considerable time play was fairly even, the goalkeepers at both ends having a fair number of shots to clear. Luck seemed to be all against Hampstead, for several times good centres were received from both right and left wings, but Reinke was unable to score. After forty minutes the Park attacked on the left wing and from a good centre by Legg, Drew scored. Play was still in the Park goal, but Hampstead were unable to get the equaliser, half-time being called with Tufnell Park a goal ahead. Play in the second half was all in favour of Tufnell Park, raids on the Hampstead goal being numerous. The Park scored on two occasions through Cantrell and Drew. In the last few minutes Hampstead rallied, both Reinke and Rowe having shots at goal, both of which were saved. Hampstead's defence was excellent, especially the right-back, R.S. Clarke, who on several occasions when Brooker was at fault, stepped in and saved the situation. The forwards, apart from Rowe, were of little use. The teams were:- Hampstead : F.P. Esser; R.S. Clarke, W,G, Brooker; J.A. Elderton, H.L. Pease, A. Thorlby; A. Morris, O. Reinke, V. Rowe, H. Steele, S. Smith. Tufnell Park : W. Grafton; H. Lawson, E.R. Dreblow; F.C. Cleary, A. Lynes, R. Huton; A.E. Hankin, C.N. Cantrell, F.P Drew, R.K. Hart, P.C. Legg. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 24/4/1925)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 24 April - A charity match

Quite a good crowd came along to witness the game between Hampstead Town Reserves and Hendon Brotherhood at the Welsh Harp, Hendon, on Good Friday, in aid of the Railwaymen's Orphanage Fund. The Town were without several of their usual players due to holidays, but had the services of V. Rowe, who was unable to travel with the first eleven on their tour. Hampstead opened strongly and within a few minutes Rowe left the Hoods' goalkeeper helpless with a glorious shot, and just before half-time, Esser, who was playing at left-half instead of his usual place (goal), scored a second goal with a clever effort. Throughout the second half Hampstead played at half speed, evidently saving themselves for their cup final on Monday. They were also unfortunate in having two players injured, Ford and Irwin being hurt in the first half. Midway through the second half Staff scored for the Brotherhood. As quite a good sum was collected for this excellent cause, football again proved its worth to deserving charities. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 17/4/1925) From "Sport Gleanings", Hendon & Finchley Times, 24/4/1925 : In the report of the match Hendon Brotherhood v. Hampstead Town Reserves, played on Good Friday, C.S. Staff's name was printed as the scorer of the Brotherhood's goal. We are asked to state that Church was the scorer.

Posted at 17:30

Friday 10 April - Hospital Shield match

Hampstead Town Reserves and Tufnell Park Reserves met on Saturday on the ground of the Finchley F.C. in the "Daily Chronicle" Hospital Shield, and a good game resulted in a draw of one goal each. Play was fairly even at the start, and thirty minutes had gone when Hutton, a Tufnell Park defender, deflected a shot from Steele through his own goal. The Town held on to this lead until twenty minutes from the end, when, in attempting a big clearance, Thorlby hit an opponent with the ball, which rebounded with great force out of Esser's reach. The Town were greatly handicapped throughout the greater portion of the game as Reinke strained a muscle of his leg in the first five minutes and was almost a passenger, although he never gave up trying. Apart from H.G. Steele, the forwards were of little use, the player mentioned being the best forward on the field. Hampstead's defence was excellent, Esser, Brooker and Upton forming a very sound last line, while the halves, Thorlby, Dimmock and Elderton, held the "Park" forwards well in check. The replay will probably take place on the Hampstead ground on a Monday evening, when it is hoped a large crowd will attend to help the funds of this deserving cause. All receipts go to the Saturday Hopital Fund. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 10/4/1925)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 27 March - Snow stops play

To commence a game in brilliant sunshine and have to abandon the game owing to a blizzard is a rather novel experience even for the English climate, but this is what happened on Saturday when Hampstead Town Reserves visited Orpington. For the first twenty minutes the game was played in sunshine and four goals were scored, each side claiming two. Then it commenced to snow, and early in the second half the game was stopped. During the snowstorm Orpington scored twice. They had the storm at their backs. Had the weather remained fine a good game would have been witnessed, and Hampstead should have done better, for they were having the better of the exchanges. Morris scored the first from Bingham's centre and Little scored the second with a fine drive from twenty yards. C. Lawrence gave a promising display in his first appearance for the Town. Little played one of his best games and was the most prominent player on the field. Bingham, Morris and Thorlby all gave good exhibitions. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 27/3/1925)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 20 March -

Although the Hampstead [Town] Reserves suffered a defeat of 3-1 at Hitchin [Blue Cross] on Saturday, they put up an excellent show against one of the best sides in Hertfordshire, who had augmented their team with three Herts County players. The home side commenced strongly, but Hampstead soon settled down to have the best of the exchanges in the opening half. Fifteen minutes after the start Fennell sent across a perfect centre for Reinke to head the first goal. Five minutes later the same player had the ball in the net again, but the point was not allowed as the ball was handled and a free kick given. Just prior to the interval a fine combined movement by the home forwards ended with their inside-left scoring with a shot that just trickled over the line out of Esser's reach. The second half was mostly in favour of Hitchin and they added two further goals to win a fine, sporting game. The Hampstead defence, usually so safe, was the weak spot in this game, both Brooker and Upton miskicking in unusual fashion. The halves were not so sound as in previous games, both Dimmock and Thorlby appearing to feel the effects of a hard game on Thursday. The forwards were quite good, and with better support they would have won the game, but they had too often to go back to fetch the ball. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 20/3/1925)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 13 March -

The visit of the Hampstead Town Reserves to West Ham [Union Officers] produced an excellent game, the Hampstead side eventually winning by three goals to nil. From the start it was obvious that it was going to be a strenuous battle, and although both forward lines tried hard they were unable to pierce the defences during the first half. Twenty minutes after the interval Bean sent across a perfect centre, and in endeavouring to clear a West Ham defender put the ball through his own goal, and within the next ten minutes Hyde and Nokes added further goals from good centres by Bean and Fennell. All the Hampstead team played well. Esser, Brooker and Upton put up a strong defence. W.C. Little, at centre-half, played one of his best games and was unlucky not to score with two fine shots. Bean (another ex-Willesden schoolboy) gave an excellent show for his first appearance in senior circles, and Fennell, at outside-left, was the best winger on the field. Tomorrow (Saturday) the Town Reserves visit Hitchin Blue Cross, and will have to be on their best behaviour to come away with the spoils, as their opponents are one of the best amateur sides in Herts. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 13/3/1925)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 16 January - Devoured by Lyons

Hampstead Town Reserves visited Lyons F.C. at Sudbury in the fourth round [of the] London Intermediate Cup, and were easily defeated by the home side by five goals to one. Throughout the game Lyons were the better side and quite deserved their victory, which, by the way, was their revenge for the 7-2 defeat they suffered last season at Cricklewood in the same competition. The Town Reserves, unfortunately, had to rearrange their team owing to F.C. Iles missing the train, and in consequence the combination suffered. During the first half Lyons took three opportunities to score, while Hampstead let each chance fizzle out. Hallsworth and Fennell should have scored, missing open goals. Hampstead opened the score in the second half, Packer receiving a nice pass from Elderton and easily beating the Lyons' goalkeeper, but Lyons put on two further goals. The second half was marred by bad feeling, which the referee failed to stop. Had this official been firmer more than one player would have suffered for ungentlemanly conduct. Perhaps the only credit that Hampstead had out of the game was that they kept their heads, while the Lyons' team continually shouted at the referee and Hampstead players. Of the Town players only Esser, Elderton and Bloxham played up to their usual standard, the former having no chance with the shots that beat him. Butler, at outside-right, put across some splendid centres, but was unemployed most of the game. This player, by the way, has been selected to play for Middlesex v. London Juniors. Next Saturday the Town Reserves visit Roxeth Old Boys in the Middlesex Charity cup-tie, which had to be postponed on December 27th. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 16/1/1925)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 02 January - Hendon Town beaten 5-1

As neither club was fully represented this game on Boxing Day at Hendon Town could not be taken as a test of strength, nevertheless a good game was witnessed, Hampstead Town Wanderers winning by 5 goals to 1. Throughout the first half Hendon had much the best of the exchanges, but only once could they pierce Hampstead's strong defence. In the second half Hampstead took command of the game and netted on five occasions. Iles, the Hampstead back, opened their score with a remarkable goal, running three parts of the length of the field, beating five opponents, and placing the ball in the corner of the net. Hallsworth (2), Newman and Bingham obliged with the remaining four goals. All six of Hampstead's new players played really well, but the star performers were Esser in goal and Iles at back, the former being continually applauded for his smart saves. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 2/1/1925)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 26 December - Reserves tea party

The Hampstead Town Wanderers eleven met Lyons Tea Dept. F.C. on Saturday at Uxbridge, and a good fast game resulted in a win for the Wanderers by 6-0. Although without the services of five regular players the Wanderers fielded a strong side. White and Hallworth, both new to the side, did well. The scorers were Elderton, Packer, Reinke (2), Bingham and Hallsworth. The outstanding player on the field was A.H. Packer, the centre-half. Elderton at left-half was again in excellent trim, and only the excellence of the first team halves keeps him out of the premier team. Fennell returned to the side after an absence of six weeks and showed he had lost none of his cleverness, while Reinke continues to improve with each game. Butler was not so brilliant as usual, being badly supported by his inside man and given few opportunities of showing his pace. Hallsworth, who played inside-left, is the Town's latest capture, and promises to be a very valuable acquisition as soon as he is thoroughly fit. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 26/12/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 19 December - "Gunners" shot down

Entertaining the "Gunners" [the 90th Brigade Royal Artillery (T.F.)] in the third round of the London Intermediate Cup at The Vale, Golders Green, Hampstead Town Reserves simply bombarded them out of the competition with ten direct hits to nil. Right from the kick-off Hampstead took command of the game and within twenty minutes Reinke had beaten the Artillery goalkeeper on three occasions, while Elderton added a fourth before half-time. The second half showed the Gunners demoralised, and Reinke, Nash, Briscoe, Iles, Bingham and Packer added further goals for the Town. The Town Reserves gave their most polished display of the season, the forwards being exceptionally good with their passing and shooting. Besides the ten goals registered they placed the ball in the net on six other occasions, but the goals were disallowed for offside, and curiously enough on no occasion was the scorer the offender. Reinke is fast becoming a top class forward, and two of his goals were real gems. Elderton and Briscoe were also in excellent trim, while Bingham, who played in an unusual position (outside-left), gave quite a good display. Packer and Woodward were sound halves. The backs, Iles and Bloxham, had little left to do, and Esser, in goal, was only an interested spectator most of the game. If the Town Reserves will produce the same class of football in all their matches they should go near winning this and other cups. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 19/12/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 28 November - A draw at Harmondsworth

Hampstead Town Wanderers travelled to Harmondsworth where they found a very up-to-date team, who ran them to a draw of one goal each. The game throughout was very interesting, particularly as the teams played football in opposite styles. Hampstead played the close passing game while Harmondsworth swung the ball about. The ground was more suitable to the home side's tactics, as it was far from smooth, many well-intentioned passes going astray. Ten minutes from the start a long shot caught the Wanderers' goalkeeper napping and Hampstead were one down, and remained so until fifteen minutes from the end, when Nash, receiving a neat pass from Woodward, scored with a hard shot. The Wanderers were without several of their usual players, but as H.F. Woodward, S. Briscoe and F. Butler joined the side they were hardly weakened. The outstanding players were Brooker, who is rapidly settling down to quite his old form, S. Briscoe and W. Lowe. The latter player made his first appearance at outside-left, and was quite a success. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 28/11/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 14 November - Double figure score against Kenmont

A deal of credit is due to a team like Kenmont F.C., who, after finding themselves overwhelmed in every department, stuck manfully to their guns right up to the fianl whistle. Hampstead Town Wanderers found the net on ten occasions through Bingham (5), Packer (4) and Gellard (1); while try as they would, Kenmont could make no impression on Hampstead's strong defence. The absence from the Wanderers' side of Harris, N. Symonds, Fennell and Nash gave the opportunity to try several other players. Jack Bingham, who led the forwards, well upheld the high opinion formed in the trial games, but most interest was centred on the return of W.G. Brooker, who gave a very sound exhibition. Tomorrow Hampstead have a much harder nut to crack, as they visit Dulwich Hamlet Reserves in the All Saints' Hospital Cup, and with a full side hope to reverse last season's defeat. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 14/11/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 07 November - Springfield beaten 4-0

In typical "Exhibition" weather Hampstead Town Wanderers defeated Springfield Hospital by four goals to nil. The ground was in excellent condition considering the amount of rain that had fallen, but the ball was slippery and difficult to control. The Wanderers overcame these difficulties by "first-time" methods, which had the home side guessing throughout the game. N. Symonds opened the score within a few minutes of the start and added a second within five minutes with a splendid shot. Just before the interval North added No. 3. In the second half Gellard completed the score with another good shot. The change in the Hampstead defence greatly strengthened the team, Esser, Iles and Lowe proving a sound last line, the fielding of the greasy ball by Esser being excellent. The halves, W. Harris, C. Harris and Packer , were too clever for the home forwards, the former being the best half on the field. The forward line was good, although weakened by the absence of Nash and Packer. North and Crosby made excellent first appearances for the Hampstead team. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 7/11/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 31 October - More heavy scoring

By the unusual score of 7 goals to 3 Hampstead Town Wanderers defeated North-West Albion at Hendon in a game which lacked thrills. The one redeeming feature of the game was the work of the Wanderers, who combined and shot well. Harris, at outside-right, scored the first goal within five miinutes of the start with a splendid shot, and further goals were added by Nash (3), Packer (2) and Harris. In defence Hampstead were terribly weak, Stenlake, in goal, fumbling several easy clearances. The backs, Caslake and Iles, miskicked and failed in their tackles, while Bloxham and Little did little to uphold their reputations. Several changes will have to take place in these departments, as so far the defence has not kept a clean sheet this season. Elderton was easily the best half on the field, while Harris and Fennell on the extreme wings played really well. Packer, at inside-right, was on top form, and Symonds, who made his first appearance for Hampstead, will strengthen the line. Nash, in the centre, was always dangerous with his shooting, but must put a lot more life and dash in his play before he becomes top class. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 31/10/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 24 October - A hard tussle

The Hampstead Town Wanderers again suffered defeat by the odd goal in five, after a hard tussle against a strong local side [Stonebridge Athletic], who had reinforced their team with some of the strongest local amateur talent available. The Hampstead side were undoubtedly unlucky to lose, for when settling down with a 2 to 1 lead twenty minutes after the start they lost C. Harris, their left-half, with a sprained ankle. Stonebridge took the lead within five minutes of the start, when Maxted put over a perfect centre which Stenlake caught, but the home centre bundled the ball out of his hands into the net. Within ten minutes Hampstead replied twice, Bloxham completing a perfect centre from Butler and Little scoring with a fine high drive. Just before the interval Pusey scored with a brilliant shot. The second half was one long struggle for the supremacy, and Pusey scored the winning goal from a good pass by Kavanagh. There were several hundred spectators who were well pleased with the display of both teams, the game being more like a cup-tie than a friendly. Every player on the Hampstead side did well. The outstanding men were Packer and Butler, the right wing, and Little and Harris at half. Tomorrow the Wanderers visit North West Albion at Hendon, when two new players will be on trial. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 24/10/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 17 October - A disappointing display

Hampstead Town Wanderers suffered defeat at the hands of Rugby Old Guard by four goals to three, and have only their lax methods to blame. The Old Guard are a strong junior side, and most of the Hampstead men played as though they took it for granted that they could win. Within fifteen minutes of the start the Wanderers were two down. Iles presented Rugby with their first goal, pushing the ball to their centre-forward six yards out. Five minutes later Caslake headed a centre through [his own net]. Hampstead now commenced to join in the game and Packer reduced the lead from a pass by Butler. After the interval Hampstead continued to have most of the game and Packer and Elderton added further goals. The Old Guard then scored twice. Of the Wanderers only Butler, Little and Elderton upheld their reputations. The wing halves wandered all over the field and the backs, usually so strong, gave a very poor display. Stenlake was unable to keep goal, and Hodge deputised. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 17/10/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 10 October - Springfield Hospital beaten 6-3

The visit of the Hampstead Town Wanderers eleven to Springfield Hospital provided a victory for the Town for the first time. Hampstead took command of the game from the start, and after ten minutes Nash gave the home goalkeeper no chance with a hard drive. Five minutes later the same player added a second after a bout of passing with Little and Packer. Springfield reduced the lead through their centre-half, who drove the ball between a crowd of players, leaving Morgan unsighted. Little put Hampstead further ahead just before the interval. The second half play was even. Hampstead added three further goals through Little, Packer and Nash, while Springfield scored twice. The outstanding players on the field were the two centre-halves. Little, for Hampstead, has regained his best form. The Springfield centre-half scored the best goal of the match from 30 yards, giving Morgan no chance with a terrific drive. All the Hampstead players were in fine fettle. The shooting of Nash was right on the mark, while Butler and Fennell plied him with excellent centres. Packer and Gelliard were continually worrying the home defence. Much of the good forward work was due to the constructive work of the half line, Elderton, Little and Harris. Morgan, in goal, had no chance with the shots that scored. Iles and Caslake were sound backs, but have not quite settled to each other's play. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 10/10/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 26 September -

Quite a friendly rivalry exists between Hampstead Town Wanderers and Burlington and a good game is always put up when they meet. On this occcasion Hampstead won by 2 goals to 1. In the Hampstead side were included three ex-Burlington players, and to them went a deal of the credit for victory. Packer scored both goals and Caslake did much to prevent the home forwards scoring, while Butler was the most prominent forward on the field. Play opened in quiet style as both teams found the slippery ball difficult to control, and the strong wind spoilt many good attempts at combination. The first incident of note was a long shot by Irwin, which the home goalkeeper allowed to pass through his legs, but turning, he threw himself at the ball and eventually scrambled it away, although the Hampstead players strongly protested that it had crossed the goal-line. Three minutes after this the Burlington centre drove the ball hard against the crossbar, and Chalkley meeting the rebound headed the first goal. The second half opened in better style. The Wanderers settled down to equalise, and assisted by the wind had the better of the play. Ten minutes after the interval Irwin beat three opponents and then transferred the ball to Packer, who gave Strong no chance with a fast shot. Five minutes later a fine bout of passing between Butler and Packer gave the latter player the oppportunity to put Hampstead ahead. Just before the end Hampstead again got the ball into the net, Symonds converting a perfect centre from Butler, which the referee disallowed for offside. Morgan, who made his first appearance for Hampstead in goal, gave an excellent display, holding the slippery ball well and clearing well down the field. Iles and Caslake were in excellent fettle at the back; Elderton was the pick of a good half-back line, and Butler, Packer and Irwin kept the home defence busy. V. Fennell was unlucky to find an old injury reassert itself directly after the start, and could not do himself justice. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 26/09/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 19 September - Beaten at home

For a friendly match between reserve elevens there was quite a good crowd on Saturday at Cricklewood-lane, where Leytonstone Reserves inflicted on Hampstead Town Reserves their first defeat this season. Hampstead were represented by G. Stenlake; F.C. Iles and F. Baker; W.H. Harris, W.C. Little and S. Bloxham; F.G. Butler, E. Nash, E.B. Irwin, J. Elderton and V.G. Fennell. The visitors, a sturdily-built team, had the advantage of wind and sun in the first half, during which the only goals of the match were scored. Leytonstone were well served by their outside forwards, and the right wing pair, H. Barbe and H.E. Fredman, made an ideal pair. For a few minutes Hampstead held out hopes that they were quite capable of demonstrating the superiority of Athenian over Isthmian League football, but although the visitors in the early stages were not often on the offensive, their attacks always boded danger. At the end of ten minutes H.E. Brown had Stenlake completely beaten, the defence having left a clear course, and it was well on towards the interval before the second and last goal came from the foot of H.E. Fredman, the inside-right. In the meantime the Leytonstone goalkeeper had been subjected to a great deal of anxiety. Innumerable opportunities were presented to Hampstead's inside forwards, and although luck was not on their side, they should certainly have crossed over on level terms. The outside men, Butler and Fennell, did well, but the latter had a tendency to get too close to the corner flag before sending the ball across. The play in the second half was tame in comparison with that before the change of ends. Hampstead quite held their own, and one of the best shots of the match came from Iles, which was cleverly saved. Irwin secured, but sent the ball over the bar. Just on time Leytonstone caused Stenlake trouble, his clearance, as were many others, being of the highest order. (Hendon & Finchlet Times, 19/9/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 12 September -

Hampstead Town Reserves shared eight goals with Bromley Reserves on Monday at Cricklewood-lane. It was a thoroughly interesting game, and there was clear proof that Hampstead have some good talent to fall back upon should changes to the first eleven be necessary. Bromley brought a team evidently more experienced and certainly having the advantage of weight over the local players, but although Hampstead were early in the second half two goals down, the scores were equalised. The Bromley goalkeeper made some clever saves. (from "Sports Gleanings", Hendon & Finchley Times, 12/9/1924)

Posted at 18:00

Friday 12 September - Draw at Horsham

Hampstead Town Wanderers paid their annual visit to Horsham to play the Trinity side, and a good game resulted in a draw of one goal each. Within five minutes of the start Weaver converted a splendid centre from Packer, and the Wanderers retained their lead until five minutes from the end, when Ellis equalised from a penalty awarded to Horsham for a case of handling. Stenlake made an excellent attempt to save the penalty shot, falling full length and just touching the ball as it crossed the line. Although the result was a draw, Hampstead had nine-tenths of the game, and strangely enough, it was not bad shooting which failed to give them victory, for on eleven occasions their forwards hit the crossbar, four times on the underneath part, and on each occasion the ball rebounded into play. Fifteen minutes from the end Hampstead were awarded a penalty, with which Little crashed the ball against the crossbar with terrific force, the ball rebounded to him, and in the excitement he drove it into the net, only to be penalised for playing it twice in succession. The whole of the Hampstead team played well. Stenlake, in goal, had little to do, but that little was well done. Iles and Baker, at back, were always too good for the Horsham raids, while the halves - Harris, Little and Elderton - were always on top of the home forwards and found ample time to help their own forwards. While the forward line worked well, they were decidedly unlucky at seeing so many excellent attempts at scoring hit the crossbar. Butler, Packer and Weaver were the pick of the line: although Bridge and Nash were always trying hard they were inclined to hold the ball too long, and being on the light side were often bundled off the ball. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 12/09/1924)

Posted at 17:55

Friday 05 September -

After their successful performance in the trial game much was expected of the Hampstead Town Wanderers in their opening game v. Willesden St. Martin's, who are one of the strongest local sides. Although the 1st XI claimed the services of four of the Wanderers they were just too good for the Saints, beating them by four goals to one. E. Irwin (of Garden Suburb F.C.) performed the hat trick and F. Butler added a fourth while J. Hewlett replied for the visitors. Several new faces were seen in the Wanderers' team, and all of them are quite young players who promise to become worthy successors to the present 1st team players. E. Nash, V. Fennell and E. Lillywhite are all products of the Willesden Schools Association, the first-named having assisted England in school games. Stenlake, who kept a splendid goal, is from Hodford Rovers, while J. Bingham is another local youngster of much promise. Of last season's players Butler, Iles, Packer and Bloxham all showed that they had lost none of their cleverness. Altogether the Wanderers should have a very successful season. (Hendon & Finchley Times, 5/9/1924)

Posted at 18:00