Covid-19: All football related activities are on hold at present. For details on some of the other measures we are taking, please see our coronavirus risk assessment and accompanying notes

Match Report

Walton & Hersham
Monday 07 August 2000
Walton & Hersham

Match Report

Hendon faced a stiffer test on Monday night when they travelled to Stompond Lane for their friendly against relegated Walton & Hersham, but the result was much the same: a comfortable victory - 3-1 this time - and a more cohesive performance.

Manager Frank Murphy took 19 players with him to Surrey and made 8 substitutions after an hour. Even that didn't upset Hendon's domination although Walton did create a few more chances. Paul Adolphe was given his first start on the right side of midfield and Simon Clarke reverted to his more effective left wing-back position.

The opening goal arrived after 11 minutes and it came from the penalty spot. Davis Haule challenged for the ball as it was knocked into the penalty area and he would have been in position to take a shot at goal, had a defender not handled the ball. Warren KELLY stepped up and drilled the ball off the stanchion, sending Adrian Blake the wrong way.

Six minutes later, Walton drew level. The route to goal was the same as Hendon's in that it was a ball knocked into the penalty area. Gary Fitzgerald needlessly bundled into the back of the Walton striker just outside the penalty area, so it was free-kick instead of a penalty. James PEARSON struck a fine curler, which Farai Jackson got his hands to, but could not keep out of the net.

It was to prove Walton's only effort on goal in the opening hour as Hendon controlled the play. Ross Pickett - against his former club - and Haule gave the Swans' defenders all they could handle, but to be critical of the duo, they failed to actually trouble Blake with efforts on target.

The same could not be said of Dale Binns, who teased and tormented Walton every time he touched the ball. He set up Adolphe with a really good chance, but after doing the hard bit by beating a defender he somehow rolled the ball wide of an almost open goal from 4 yards out.

After 53 minutes, Hendon regained the lead with an outstanding goal. Paul Towler started it with a well-timed interception and continued the move with a fine pass to Binns. Binns beat a defender before releasing Pickett down the right wing. He cut inside one defender drew another towards him,before rolling the ball into the path of HAULE, who rifled it into the net.

A few minutes later, Hendon withdrew their 8 players, but Marvyn Watson lasted only a few minutes, being ordered to be substituted after retaliating to a late and nasty tackle. Curtis Warmington pleaded on behalf of his team-mate to no avail, so Fitzgerald returned to the often over-competitive fray.

Walton then created a couple of opportunities, but Jackson made to two fine saves, one sprawling low to his left palm a close-range shot around the post. The Swans found Hendon's reshaped defence as uncompromising as the first choice line and were limited to long-range efforts which Jackson dealt with comfortably.

Another unsavoury incident, this time in Walton's penalty area, resulted in the home team being forced to remove a player. With no one returning for Walton, Hendon stepped up a gear a created a number of chances against 10 men.

Jason Donlan set up Paul Johnson, whose shot was well saved; Bontcho Guentchev had a deflected free kick saved; Jon Daly, who was outstanding for the 90 minutes, much of it as a playmaker, set up David Adekola and Pickett, but those efforts were well blocked by Walton's substitute keeper.

With four minutes to go, Matt BARTHOLOMEW drilled home a shot after a couple of other Hendon efforts had been well saved.

Report by David Ballheimer


Farai Jackson
Iain Duncan
Simon Clarke
Warren Kelly
Paul Towler
Gary Fitzgerald
Paul Adolphe
Jon Daly
Ross Pickett
Davis Haule
Dale Binns
David Adekola
Marvyn Watson
Bontcho Guentchev
Matt Bartholomew
Curtis Warmington
Paul Johnson
Alan McCarthy
Jason Donlan

Match Events

Matt Bartholomew
Davis Haule
Warren Kelly

Walton & Hersham

Squad unknown