News - October 2012

Wednesday 31 October - Hendon's FA Cup adventures - Part 4

In today's final part of our look back at our previous FA Cup adventures, we start with games that our current management team will remember very well.

1996 saw the club reach the first round for the first time in 8 seasons, and the reward was a trip to Cardiff City who won 2-0.

The following year, having beaten St Albans City in the fourth qualifying round, Leyton Orient came to Claremont Road. In front of 2,241 spectators Colin Simpson scored twice for us to take the tie back to Brisbane Road. The replay, which had the second half broadcast live on BBC Radio Five Live, saw us pick up our second win over league opposition. Gary McCann and Freddie Hyatt were involved in the build up to the goal, and when John-Simon White crossed the ball, Junior Lewis was able to head the ball home. Gary then went on to put in a superb performance in goal to ensure that the job was completed. The reward was a little bit disappointing, being a return to Cardiff City. This time we got on the scoresheet thanks to Naseem Bashir, but the Welsh side ran out 3-1 winners.

We kept our good FA Cup form up the following year, this time entertaining Notts County, then managed by Sam Alladyce, at Claremont Road with 1,627 in attendance. Following a goalless draw at home, and then the original replay being called off due to thick fog in Nottingham, the league side won the replay 3-0, but had to wait for over an hour to break the deadlock.

We made it four appearances in four years in 1999, with the first round seeing us travel to Bath City. Goals from Dominic Gentle and Bontcho Guentchev seeing us progress. Blackpool were our opponents in the second round, and so we travelled to Bloomfield Road. Blackpool won 2-0, but

not before they had been given an almighty scare when Bontcho Guentchev hit the bar. Our reward had we made it through would have been a trip to Arsenal. Oh what might have been! One of the memories that will live with the author of this piece is seeing so many Blackpool supporters wait for the Hendon players to leave the field, giving them a standing ovation as they did so.

That was to be our last appearance in the competition proper until two years ago in 2010 when we travelled to Chelmsford City. In a thoroughly entertaining game Jamie Busby scored twice, but the Essex side ultimately won 3-2.

And so we come to this season, and our trip to Aldershot Town. Will we make history once again? We'll find out in a few days time.

Posted at 08:23

Tuesday 30 October - Hendon's FA Cup adventures - Part 3

In our third part of our FA Cup memories, we begin in the 1973-74 season, which resulted in the best FA Cup run in the club's history so far.

Having seen off Barnet in a fourth qualifying round replay, the reward was a home tie against fellow Isthmian Leaguers Leytonstone. Two goals from Kieron Somers and one from John Baker saw the East London side off 3-0. A trip into Wales came next, with a visit to Merthyr Tydfil. Again, we ran out 3-0 winners, Kieron Somers, John Baker and Alan Phillips scoring.

The reward for that victory in Wales was a trip to the North-East, and Newcastle United in particular. The Magpies were pressing towards the top of the old First Division at the time, and after we drew 1-1, Rod Haider scoring our goal, the result drawing plaudits from around the media, and many regard this match as the club's finest hour and it was played in front of a crowd of 31,606, believed to be the largest for a Hendon game not played at Wembley Stadium.

The replay was held at Watford's Vicarage Road ground four days later, and despite going a goal down in the 14th minutes, the second goal didn't come until 50 minutes later. Eventually the Magpies won 4-0, eventually reaching the final when they were beaten 3-0 by Liverpool.

1975 was memorable for different reasons, a first FA Cup win against Football League opposition. Whilst league clubs had been beaten in county competition and friendlies, this was the first in a major competition. Reading were the visitors to Claremont Road, and a goal from Alan Phillips was enough to earn the 1-0 win. The second round saw Swindon Town come to Claremont Road, but the heroics of the previous round couldn't be repeated, and it was Swindon's turn to win 1-0.

We returned to Vicarage Road in 1977, this time to play Watford, who won 2-0.

1981 saw more Isthmian League opposition come to Claremont Road, Wycombe Wanderers taking us back for a replay with a 1-1 draw. Anthony Bennett scored our goal in the first game. The replay, played in front of 2,507, saw Wycombe win 2-0.

In 1988, Reading were once again the opponents, and they gained revenge for their 1975 defeat by winning 4-2. Our goals were scored by Iain Dowie, who went on to have an excellent career in the professional game and with Northern Ireland, and Gary Keen.

In our final part tomorrow, we'll look at our second FA Cup win over league opposition.

Posted at 13:05

Monday 29 October - Aldershot coach now full

The final spaces on the coach to Aldershot have just been booked, and there are no more seats available.

Posted at 16:02

Monday 29 October - Downloadable Aldershot poster

One of our supporters has designed an excellent poster for Saturday's game with a view to it being displayed in your local shops and pubs. The poster can be downloaded from the link below and you may print as many copies as you wish. Hopefully by doing this we can encourage more people to come along to the game on Saturday afternoon.

However, please ensure that you have permission to display the poster - and the poster must not be displayed on the street - such as on lampposts or bus stops - under any circumstances.

Aldershot Town v Hendon poster

Posted at 13:32

Monday 29 October - Hendon's FA Cup adventures - Part 2

In part two of our look back at our previous appearances in the competition proper of the FA Cup we begin with a trip to the Midlands in 1965.

The destination for the trip was Grantham, who were members of the Midland League, but it was an ultimately disappointing trip with the home side winning 4-1. David Hyde was the scorer in the game that was described in the club programme as "bitterly disappointing".

It became three appearances in three years in 1966, again, as in the previous year, due to appearing in the FA Amateur cup final, and Reading, then playing in the old Third Division, were the visitors to Claremont Road. The league side won 3-1 in front of a crowd of 4,050 - with the Greens fielding a "defensive" 4-2-4 formation! John Ashworth was the scorer.

It was three years until the next FA Cup adventure in the first round, with Carshalton Athletic the first round visitors to Claremont Road. We won an eight-goal thriller 5-3, with Paul Collett and John Baker both scoring twice, and Peter Anderson also finding the back of the net. In the second round, it was the turn of the Southern League to provide the opposition at Claremont Road, but Brentwood Town ran out 2-0 winners.

In 1970 we were drawn at home to league opposition, with the old Aldershot club visiting - but their superior class told as they went back to Hampshire with a 2-0 win - hopefully things will be different when we head home from Hampshire on Saturday afternoon.

And then 1972 saw us make the long trip into Devon to face Plymouth Argyle, and very nearly took the game to a replay, with Argyle scoring late on to win 1-0.

In tomorrow's look back, we will begin with the club's best run in the competition - that famous trip to Newcastle United.

Posted at 08:41

Sunday 28 October - Hendon's FA Cup adventures - Part 1

Over the next few days, we shall take a brief look at our 20 previous appearances in the first round of the FA Cup as we begin the build up to the game at Aldershot on Saturday afternoon.

Our first ever appearance in the competition proper came in 1934 when we, playing as Golders Green, were drawn away to Southend United. The game resulted in the heaviest defeat for the club in the competition - Southend winning comprehensively 10-1 in front of a crowd of 8,640 despite having a first minute penalty saved by Arthur Godding. The solitary Greens goal was scored by Cyril Drinkwater when Southend were eight goals to the good.

It was 18 years until the next appearance, which was also our first as Hendon, in 1952 when Northampton Town were the visitors to Claremont Road. A 0-0 draw was played out in front of a ground record attendance of 9,000 - a record that was never broken. In the replay the following Thursday, which kicked off at 2.00pm, Northampton ran out 2-0 winners courtesy of two goals in the last five minutes with 6,120 in attendance.

We received a bye to the first round in 1955, courtesy of our FA Amateur Cup final appearance the previous season, and made the trip to the West Midlands to face Halesowen Town, coming away with a 4-2 win. Goalscorers were Miles Spector, Jackie Rawlings, Edwards and Matthews. A trip to Exeter City was the reward as we reached the second round for the first time, but the home side ran out 6-2 victors, Bob Avis and Miles Spector scoring for us.

The bye to the first round was awarded again in 1960 for the same reason, and this time Oxford United, then a Southern League club and captained by Ron Atkinson, were the visitors to Claremont Road where 4,500 saw Miles Spector and Brian Figg score in a 2-2 draw. The replay, played in front of 10,600 spectators, saw Terry Howard and Jimmy Quail score in a 3-2 defeat.

The next appearance came in 1964 with a trip to the Potteries to face Port Vale. The league side won 2-1, with the Greens reported to have had a "lack of shooting power". David Hyde scored the consolation goal for the Greens in the game.

Tomorrow, we'll take a look at five more appearances in the competition proper, including games against Reading, Plymouth Argyle and the old Aldershot club.

Posted at 14:47

Friday 26 October - A few coach seats left for Aldershot

As we regularly do for away games, we are offering seats to supporters on the players coach for the Aldershot game, but there are only a small number left available.

The seats are priced at £12, and can be booked by calling Steve Rogers on 07748 526594. You will be advised of the departure time upon booking. He will be available to take bookings at the following times. Saturday : 9am to 9pm. Sunday : 1pm to 3pm, 6pm to 9pm. Monday : 8.30am to 7pm. Tuesday : 8.30am to 9pm. Wednesday : 8.30am to 7pm.

Seats will be allocated on a first come, first served basis, and we will update the website as soon as we can after the final seat has been taken.

If you are one of those supporters who booked on Tuesday evening in the club shop, please call Steve to find out the departure time.

Posted at 23:51

Wednesday 24 October - Ticket details for Aldershot

We have now agreed ticket details for the forthcoming FA Cup tie at Aldershot Town, which will take place on Saturday 3rd November, kicking off at 3:00pm.

Standing tickets are priced as follows. Adults : £12, Concessions : £8 and under 16s : £5.

Seating tickets are priced Adults : £14, Concessions : £10 and under 16s : £7.

It is a pay on the day game, and there will be no advance ticket sales.

We are awaiting confirmation from Aldershot regarding segregation, but it is likely that you will need to enter via the away turnstiles which are located on Redan Hill, alongside the railway. As soon as we have confirmation we will let you know.

Please also note that under Football League regulations, the ground is a no smoking zone, including all areas open to the elements.

Should a replay be required, it will take place at Vale Farm on Tuesday 13th November, and details of how to purchase tickets, and the pricing, will be made available on the website on Monday 5th November.

If you have any questions, please email the club on and we will respond as quickly as we can.

Posted at 17:54

Wednesday 24 October - Tired Greens draw

Hendon, who were tired and leggy after Saturday's exertions at Corby, drew 1-1 with Metropolitan Police this evening.

The Greens took the lead somewhat against the run of play in the 23rd minute when Jack Mazzone scored from close range for his 5th goal of the season. However, just before half time, Tyrone Smith pounced on a loose ball and drove it into the net, giving Berkley Laurencin no chance.

The second half saw very little in the way of chances, and both sides will have to be satisfied with just a point.

Posted at 00:22

Tuesday 23 October - Met Police visiting tonight

It's back to league action this evening as we entertain Metropolitan Police at Vale Farm, kick off at 7:45pm.

With this being the only game between now and the FA Cup tie at Aldershot Town, this is your only chance to buy any green & white souvenirs from the club shop.

Like ourselves, the Met made it through to the first round of the FA Cup, and have the cracking prospect of a home tie against Crawley Town, following their 3-0 win at South Park on Saturday afternoon.

Gary and the squad will be aiming to continue their good form and put three more points on the board, which will hopefully move the club towards mid table. Our opponents currently lie in 14th place with 9 points from their 7 games played so far.

It would be wonderful to see a large Hendon contingent at the game tonight, not only to support the team tonight, but to congratulate them on the win at Corby, and to wish them well for the game at Aldershot. See you there!

Posted at 08:34

Tuesday 23 October - McCann happy with cup draw

Gary McCann was happy with Hendon's draw in the first round proper of the FA Cup with Budweiser. A trip to Npower League 2 strugglers Aldershot Town is the Greens reward and McCann said, "It is still a nice, attractive tie for us.

"As it is not too far away we'll hopefully have a good following. And there is a chance for a giant-killing for us."

McCann was in the Hendon squad the last time the Greens played at the Recreation Ground. He was an unused substitute in a 6-2 defeat in April 2003, the day the Shots clinched the Ryman League Premier Division title. Although the final score looks the match was one-way traffic, Hendon led until the last 20 minutes, during which time Aldershot scored five times - including a penalty taken by goalkeeper Nikki Bull. Five days later, at Claremont Road, the scores were halved (and the crowd was 2900 fewer) as Aldershot won 3-1.

The Hendon management team of McCann, Freddie Hyatt and Junior Lewis all played in the Greens team when they won a League encounter at the Rec in October 1998 and Lewis scored a stunning second goal in the 2–0 victory.

The clubs have met in cup ties on two occasions, both the League Cup. Hendon won the first encounter, in 1992-93 - the Shots' first season - Gary Keen and Barry Blackman netting in a 2-1 win. The Greens ceded home advantage on Valentine’s Day 2002 and there was no loving from the hosts as they beat an under-strength Hendon - with McCann in goal - 2-0.

Posted at 08:31

Sunday 21 October - Under 15s make it a cup double

The under 15s made it a cup double for the club this weekend with a comprehensive 9-0 win at Headstone Manor in the County Cup. Man of the match was Louis Butler.

Posted at 18:43

Sunday 21 October - Greens drawn away to Aldershot Town

Hendon will face a trip to Aldershot Town in the First Round of the FA Cup.

The tie, which was drawn by Earl Barrett and Sean Dyche live on ITV1 a few minutes ago, sees the Greens renew rivalries with the Shots who were members of the Isthmian League from their formation from the ashes of the original Aldershot club. The two clubs last met in the 2002/03 season.

The game will be played on Saturday 3rd November, kick off at 3.00pm. Details of admission prices and ticket availability will be announced as soon as we have confirmed them with Aldershot.

Posted at 13:48

Saturday 20 October - Ball number 79 in FA Cup draw

We will be ball number 79 in the FA Cup draw tomorrow afternoon, which will be televised live at 1:30pm on ITV1.

Posted at 19:53

Saturday 20 October - Hendon reach first round of FA Cup

Hendon reached the first round of the FA Cup for the 21st time in their history this afternoon, with a 2-1 victory over Corby Town.

It was another excellent performance from the Greens, particularly in the second half, and they thoroughly deserved their passage into the competition proper.

Corby were by far the better side in the opening exchanges, and it wasn't a surprise when Josh Moreman gave the Steelmen the lead in the 8th minute. However, Hendon gradually came back into the game and equalised in the 38th minute when Greg Ngoyi held off a strong challenge from a defender to slot the ball home.

Hendon took the lead in the 64th minute when Michael Murray fired a fierce drive beyond the keeper into the net. The Greens held out for the win, with the back four and Berkley Laurencin in commanding form once again, although it was marred by the sending off of Elliott Charles after he got involved in a fracas with a Corby defender - the Corby player also seeing red.

Posted at 19:50

Saturday 20 October - Hastings game postponed

Our home game against Hastings has been postponed due to them progressing alongside ourselves to the first round of the FA Cup.

Posted at 19:44

Friday 19 October - Live online BBC commentary tomorrow

If you are unable to attend the game at Corby Town tomorrow, you will be pleased to know that BBC Radio Northampton will have live commentary, which should be available through the BBC Website.

If you go to you will find a list of games that the BBC are carrying live commentary for - and you can just click the link for Corby v Hendon.

Posted at 18:17

Friday 19 October - Coach to Corby now full

The coach to Corby is now full, so if you haven't booked, please do not turn up hoping to travel.

Posted at 18:04

Friday 19 October - Cup double header this weekend

Hendon has a double header of cup action this weekend, with the first team travelling to Corby in the FA Cup, and the under 15s travelling to Headstone Manor in the County Cup.

In what will be Gary McCann's 100th cup match as manager of the club, the FA Cup tie against Corby Town will be the first meeting between the two clubs.

The Steelmen have reached this point of the competition with a 3-2 win at home to Leamington in the 2nd qualifying round, and then a 2-1 replay win over Histon in the last round. Their last two league games have seen plenty of goals - with a 5-0 win over Droylsden followed by a 5-2 defeat at the hands of Altrincham last Saturday afternoon.

The Greens will go into the game knowing that they will need to be on their game if they want to progress into the First Round in a fortnight's time, but they will be confident that they will be able to do exactly that. Kick off at Steel Park is at 3.00pm tomorrow.

Then on Sunday morning, the under 15s make the short trip to Headstone Manor in the Middlesex County Cup 2nd Round in a game that kicks off at 10.30am at Headstone Manor Recreation Ground, Pinner View, North Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6PX.

All supporters are welcome to attend - the boys would be delighted to have some additional support for the game as they bid to pick up their first win of the season.

Posted at 10:05

Thursday 18 October - New date for Thurrock game

Our away game at Thurrock will now be played on Tuesday 18th December, kicking off at 7:45pm

Posted at 12:45

Thursday 18 October - Junior reaches 150 appearances

Junior Lewis made his 150th appearance tonight when he came on as a substitute for Belal Aite-Ouakrim in the 75th minute of the game.

The milestone comes over 16 years after his debut, which occured on 21st September 1996 when he scored in a 3-1 win over Bishop's Stortford. Michael Banton and John Richardson were the other scorers that night.

Before he moved on to Gillingham in the summer of 1999, Junior had a prolific partnership up front with Paul Whitmarsh, the pair scoring 70 goals between them in the 1998/99 season.

Junior went on to have a long career in the professional game, including spells at Leicester City, Hull City, Brentford and Stevenage Borough - a lot of the time playing under former Hendon and England U21 manager Peter Taylor.

He returned to the club at the beginning of last season in a coaching role, and has played a big part in the way the team try and play the game. His appearances on the field are now rare, tonight was just his 4th since his return to the club.

We congratulate Junior on reaching the milestone - he's now only 46 appearances behind Gary McCann, and a mere 13 behind Freddie Hyatt!

Posted at 00:18

Thursday 18 October - Disappointing League Cup run continues

Hendon's poor recent record in the league cup continued tonight as Tilbury came back from two goals down to draw 2-2, and then win 3-0 on penalties.

The defeat means that the Greens have been knocked out of the competition at the first attempt in each of the last six seasons, and the last victory came in September 2006 at Flackwell Heath.

Gary McCann made 11 changes to the starting line-up, with goalkeeper Jordan Kennedy making his debut, whilst Belal Aite-Ouakrim and Mustafa Mirzai made their first appearances of the season for the club. Coming off the bench were Lee Faulkner and Kambo Smith, also making their debuts.

The first half belonged to the Greens, as they went into a 2-0 lead, both goals coming from Jack Mazzone. The first was a lovely curling strike, whilst the second saw the youngster clinically slide the ball past the keeper into the net.

Tilbury came back well in the second half, although it did take them half an hour to pull a goal back - Tony Jacobs finding the back of the net. Then, with five minutes to go, and just after Tilbury had been reduced to ten men with one of their players injured with a suspected fractured ankle after all three subs had been made, Sherwin Stanley equalised.

There is no extra time in the League Cup, so the game went straight to penalties. Tilbury's first three takers all converted their spot kicks, but with Scott Shulton and Jack Mazzone seeing their efforts saved, and Elliott Brathwaites clipping the crossbar, the Essex side progressed to the next round, 3-0 in the shoot-out.

Posted at 00:10

Wednesday 17 October - Four additions to the squad

Gary McCann has made four additions to the squad ahead of tonight's League Cup tie against Tilbury, one of whom needs no introduction to Hendon supporters.

Belal Aite-Ouakrim has signed league forms this week, and will be looking to add to his 143 appearances and 49 goals that he has scored for the club since he originally joined us in 2005, when he made a scoring debut in the 5-4 win at Wealdstonne.

One of the other additions has also appeared for the club previously, all be it just the once in the Middlesex Senior Cup penalty shoot-out win over Uxbridge last season. The player is 18 year old defender Mustafa Mirzai, who joined us on work experience terms from Luton Town last year. He was released by Luton in the summer, and has been playing for Hertford Town so far in this campaign.

The other two additions are 19 year old forward Kambo Smith, who has come through the youth ranks at Dulwich Hamlet and 18 year old midfielder Lee Faulkner, who has been at Sun Postal, and is the nephew of our coach Paul.

Posted at 10:45

Wednesday 17 October - League Cup action tonight

The first team open their League Cup campaign tonight with a home game against Tilbury which kicks off at 7:45pm at Vale Farm.

League Cup ties no longer go to extra-time, so if scores are level after 90 minutes, we will go straight to a penalty shoot-out.

It is the first time we have faced our opponents since November 1991, when Tilbury won 3-0 in the same round of the same competition. The only other time we played them in the last 30 years was in December 1983 in the FA Trophy when we lost by the same scoreline.

Tilbury have had a very good start to the season, and currently lie 3rd in the Division One North table with 19 points from their 10 games. They lost their first league game of the season on Saturday, going down to a 1-0 defeat at home to Grays Athletic, their first defeat to their Essex rivals in 26 years.

Gary McCann is likely to rest a number of first choice players ahead of Saturday's FA Cup tie at Corby Town, but has yet to decide exactly who will be involved this evening. There is also the possiblity of one or two new faces being involved as well.

We look forward to seeing you all there this evening.

Posted at 08:37

Monday 15 October - Much improved from under 15s

The under 15s put in a much improved performance yesterday afternoon despite going down to a 1-0 defeat against Snaresbrook.

There were two outstanding performances from goalkeeper Alfie Boal and central defender Stephen Garr.

Posted at 23:09

Monday 15 October - Hendon win entertaining friendly

Hendon ran out 3-2 winners at Boreham Wood this evening in an entertaining friendly.

The Greens squad was made up of those players who hadn't been in the starting XI over the past couple of weeks along with a few trialists, whilst Boreham Wood's squad was made up from their developmental squad along with three first teamers returning from injury. The Wood squad also included Max McCann, the 18 year old son of Gary, who has been in the youth set-up at Meadow Park for the past couple of years.

It was Boreham Wood who opened the scoring in the 9th when Omer Riza fired home a fine effort, but Hendon were back on terms in the 36th minute when Elliott Brathwaite headed home, only to see Wood regain the lead shortly afterwards through Steven O'Connor.

As is often the case in friendlies, both sides made a number of changes, but the Greens coped better, equalising for a second time through Howard Hall in the 64th minute, and one of the trialists netting five minutes later to score what turned out to be the winner. The home side were forced to see out the last 20 minutes with 10 men after Harvey Scott-Morris was sent off for a second caution, and the Greens held on through to the final whistle.

Posted at 22:55

Monday 15 October - Admission at Boreham Wood tonight

Admission prices for tonight's friendly against Boreham Wood are £4 adults and £2 concessions. Remember that the game kicks off at the earlier time of 7.00pm.

Posted at 13:40

Sunday 14 October - Coach bookings being taken for Corby

We are now taking bookings for the coach to next weekend's game at Corby.

As normal, please book by either contacting Steve Rogers by phone or text on 07748 526594, or by emailing the website on Seats cost £12 as normal, and you will be advised of the departure time upon booking.

Posted at 13:46

Saturday 13 October - Greens pick up first league win

Hendon won their first league match of the campaign this afternoon with a 2-1 victory over Leiston, gaining revenge for the FA Trophy defeat a fortnight ago.

In front of the highest crowd of the season, boosted by spectators attending as part of Non League Day, the Greens took the game to Leiston and were rewarded in the 9th minute when Greg Ngoyi slid the ball home.

Six minutes later the lead was doubled when Ngoyi fired the ball home from a cross delivered by Elliott Charles, and shortly afterwards Ngoyi had a chance to complete his hat-trick but his shot went narrowly wide of the target.

Leiston gradually came back into the game, and pulled a goal back in the 35th minute through Emmanuel Osei, and had a couple of other half-chances before the break.

The second half wasn't pretty, and neither keeper had a huge amount to do. Hendon's best chances fell to Michael Murray, whose scissor shot flew just over the bar, and Charles, who saw his drive fly into the arms of the keeper. Meanwhile at the other end, the defence and Berkley Laurencin were in fine form, with Laurencin making one particularly fine stop low down near one of the posts.

Unfortunately other results went against the Greens, so they remain in 21st place in the league table.

Posted at 20:00

Friday 12 October - Friendly arranged at Boreham Wood

We will be making the short trip to Boreham Wood for a friendly on Monday evening, and the game will kick off at 7:00pm.

Supporters are more than welcome to attend. We don't know at the moment whether Boreham Wood are planning to charge admission, but we will let you know if we find out.

Posted at 18:03

Friday 12 October - New date for Cray game

Our home league game against Cray Wanderers will now take place on Tuesday 20th November, kicking off at 7:45pm at Vale Farm.

Posted at 18:01

Friday 12 October - Focus back on the league

The focus for the first team is back to the league tomorrow afternoon, in a crucial encounter against Leiston.

The squad will be keen to build on the recent improved performances, and the win over Eastbourne, and take those performances into the league where 3 points are vital to ensure the club don't get stranded at the wrong end of the table.

It is even more important that a win is recorded, as league games are few and far between at the moment due to our involvement in cup competition.

Also, don't forget that it is Non League Day tomorrow. With no professional football taking place in the Premier League or Championship, why not invite your friends along to see what we have to offer. The half-price promotion for holders of season-tickets of professional clubs is in operation, so lets all see what we can do to boost the attendance tomorrow afternoon.

Kick off at Vale Farm is at 3.00pm as normal.

Posted at 12:32

Friday 12 October - Buses in Corby

We are grateful to one of the Corby supporters who kindly emailed us details of the local buses in the town ahead of next weekend's FA Cup tie.

The number 3 bus from the town centre, going to Shire Lodge, takes you to within a 5 minute walk of the ground. Buses run from Stop F in George Street every 12 minutes.

The town centre is a 10 minute walk from the station, and there is a bus from the station to the town centre (X4) which departs at 01 and 14 minutes past the hour. Buses from the town centre to the station depart at 1716, 1725 and 1821.

The bus fare in Corby is £1.90, which is an all-day ticket for all Stagecoach buses in the town.

Posted at 12:05

Thursday 11 October - Corby admission details

We have confirmed the admission details for the FA Cup tie at Corby on Saturday week.

Entry for adults will be £10, concessions (over 60s) will be £7 and under 16s will be £2.

Should a replay be required, it will take place at Vale Farm on Tuesday 23rd October, and admission prices will be £10 adults, £5 concessions, £1 under 16s.

Posted at 17:01

Thursday 11 October - New date for Kingstonian trip

Our away game at Kingstonian will now take place on Monday 10th December, kicking off at 7:45pm.

Posted at 16:26

Thursday 11 October - Cheap train tickets to Corby

If you are travelling from London to Corby for our FA Cup tie, East Midlands Trains are currently selling cheap single tickets.

Single tickets cost £11 to Corby and £8 back to London, and if you book online - going first to our EasyFundraising page (link on the left hand menu) and then going to the East Midlands Trains website - you can raise money for the club at the same time.

Trains depart from St Pancras at 1200 and 1300, arriving at Corby at 1310 and 1410 respectively. Return trains are at 1717 and 1817 from Corby, arriving at St Pancras at 1829 and 1929.

Corby station is approximately 2 miles from the ground, and as far as we are aware, there are no bus services between the town centre and the ground, although taxis should be available.

Posted at 08:43

Wednesday 10 October - Corby victorious in replay

Our opponents in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round will be Corby Town, following their 2-1 win over Histon this evening.

The game will be played on Saturday 20th October, kicking off at 3.00pm at Corby's Steel Park ground.

Posted at 22:49

Wednesday 10 October - Ten man Hendon win in extra time

Hendon progressed to the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup for the fourth year in a row tonight with a superb 2-1 win over Eastbourne Borough.

Not only did the Greens defeat a club from the level above, but they did so despite going a goal behind, and losing a man to a red card early in extra time.

The 90 minutes of normal time were goalless, but that's not to say that it was a poor game, because it wasn't. Both sides had half-chances, with the best for the Greens falling to Elliott Charles, but his drive found Nick Jordan rather than the back of the net.

Both sides had periods of control, but the Greens really took the game by the scruff of the neck in the final 20 minutes of normal time, with the ball spending most of the time in Eastbourne's half.

However, they were dealt a blow in the 2nd minute of extra time when the defence, who were outstanding throughout the game, was breached by Darren Lok to open the scoring. Just two minutes later, things were made much tougher when Scott Cousins was shown a straight red card.

But there was more to come. Hendon refused to give up, and carried on playing the way they had throughout the game, and were rewarded in the 109th minute when Michael Murray was fouled in the area.

Murray stepped up and sent Jordan the wrong way to equalise for the Greens. Both teams went in search of the winner, and it was Hendon who found it when the ball reached Isaiah Rankin in the area, and he fired off an outstanding shot on the turn that flew into the back of the net sparking huge celebrations on and off the pitch.

There was still a couple of minutes of stoppage time to endure, but the Greens held on to secure the win, secure £7,500 prize money, and a trip to either Histon or Corby Town a week on Saturday.

Finally, a big thank you to our supporters tonight - you were superb and got behind the team wonderfully.

Posted at 01:10

Wednesday 10 October - Berkley reaches 100 appearances

Many congratulations go out to goalkeeper Berkley Laurencin who made his 100th appearance for the club in this evening's FA Cup tie.

Berkley made his debut in August 2008 in a 1-0 defeat at Sutton United, and has had to do battle with a number of other keepers for the number 1 shirt. He has improved immensely over the four years he has been with the club and is now an important member of the squad.

Posted at 01:02

Wednesday 10 October - Thurrock game postponed

Due to our progression in the FA Cup tonight, our league game at Thurrock has been postponed. A new date will be announced in due course.

Posted at 00:59

Tuesday 09 October - Important FA Cup replay tonight

It's FA Cup Replay night tonight as we entertain Eastbourne Borough for a place in the fourth qualifying round. Kick off at Vale Farm is at 7.45pm. Normal admission prices apply - £10 adults, £5 concessions and free for under 16s. The game will be played to a finish, with extra time and penalties if required.

Hopefully we will see another thoroughly entertaining cup tie, following on from the game on Saturday afternoon at Priory Lane. Both sides will be very keen to progress, not just because of the financial rewards, but also because the draw has been reasonably kind, with a potential place in the first round proper just 90 minutes away for tonight's victors.

It would be wonderful to see a really good noisy Hendon contingent getting behind the team for the full 90 (or 120) minutes tonight, cheering the squad on to victory and a place in the next round.

Posted at 09:52

Monday 08 October - Hendon on Non League Show tonight

We were delighted to learn early today that the BBC London Non League Show still exists, despite the move of the main show to BBC Radio Five Live in the summer, and the show will feature Hendon this evening

It goes out at 9.00pm, and on future Monday evenings when the station doesn't have live sport to broadcast. They will be running a feature on our Non League Day five-a-side tournament that has been organised by Nathan Persaud.

Presented by Phil Parry, the show goes out on BBC London 94.9FM, DAB Digital Radio, channel 0152 on Sky Digital or channel 937 on Virgin Media. It is likely to be available to listen back to via the BBC website tomorrow.

Posted at 18:55

Monday 08 October - Potential new territory in FA Cup

The winners of tomorrow night's replay will travel to either Histon or Corby Town in the FA Cup Fourth Qualifying Round. The tie is due to take place on Saturday 20th October.

Histon and Corby replay on Wednesday evening following a 1-1 draw at Histon on Saturday afternoon. Both sides are in the Blue Square North and currently lie 21st and 16th in the league table respectively.

They are both sides that we have never played before to our knowledge, either competitively or in friendlies.

However, before we can look forward to visiting one of them, we need to concentrate fully on tomorrow evening's replay against Eastbourne Borough.

Posted at 11:18

Monday 08 October - Kingstonian trip postponed again

Our planned visit to Kingstonian on Monday 29th October has been postponed again. This is due to the fact they will be playing at home in the FA Trophy the previous afternoon.

Posted at 10:36

Sunday 07 October - Under 15s continue search for win

The under 15s are still searching for their first win of the season following a 5-0 defeat at home to London APSA this afternoon.

Despite the first 35 minutes being the best performance of the season so far, the first goal was then conceded. The second half was much worse, with the visitors going on to score four more.

Man of the match was Michael Clark.

Posted at 16:59

Saturday 06 October - Greens unlucky to only draw

Hendon were unlucky not to win today's FA Cup tie at Eastbourne Borough, and the two teams will replay on Tuesday evening following a 2-2 draw.

It was really good performance from the Greens and they deservedly took the lead just after half-time through Greg Ngoyi. Chris Shephard equalised for the home side in the 71st minute, but within 60 seconds, Ngoyi had restored the lead. However, Shephard had the last say with a second equaliser five minutes from time. Scott Shulton was sent off in stoppage time, but will be available for the replay.

The replay will be at Vale Farm on Tuesday evening, kicking off at 7.45pm. Our normal matchday admission charges will apply.

Posted at 17:28

Tuesday 02 October - James Parker takes step back

It has been announced by Gary McCann that popular defender James Parker has taken a step back from active involvement with the club due to increasing work commitments.

As many supporters will know, James works as a teacher. He has applied for a Head of Year job at his current school, and it looks very likely that he will be appointed the post. This obviously means that his workload will increase further his commitments to his school, including much more evening work.

Consequently, James feels that he is currently unable to commit to the club, and also feels that his on pitch performances were not up to the standard that he would like.

Gary totally understands James's position, and has made it clear that the door will always be open, and the club will be retaining his registration for the rest of the current season.

On behalf of everyone at the club, Greensnet would like to wish James every success with his Head of Year job application, and with his teaching career. And of course, we thank James for all his efforts for the club since he joined us in January 2005 and he has been a very important part of Hendon during that time.

If his appearance at East Thurrock United a few weeks ago does turn out to be his last for the club, despite the defeat, it was very fitting that it was his 300th.

Posted at 14:37

Tuesday 02 October - New date for Lewes trip

Our league game at Lewes will now take place on Tuesday 13th November, kicking off at 7:45pm at The Dripping Pan.

Posted at 09:27

Monday 01 October - Coach running to Eastbourne

We are running a coach to Eastbourne Borough for Saturday's FA Cup tie, with seats priced at £12 each.

If you would like to travel on the coach, the booking procedure is as normal - please either email the website on or call or text Steve Rogers on 07748 526594. You will be given the departure time when you book your seat.

Posted at 10:39