News - October 2005

Sunday 30 October - Youngsters keep scoring goals

All three of our junior teams won their respective league games this weekend and added to their ever increasing goal tallies. The under 18s beat Young Stars 5-3 helped by braces from Eddy Mohammed and Tiago Liabata. The under 15s won 4-3 at Princes Park B, with Matthew Hornblow taking his tally for the season to 11 goals with a hat-trick, whilst Nassir Elmi joined him with 11 goals as he hit a four timer in the under 13s 8-5 win over Pitshanger A. Full details can be found on the respective team pages as usual.

Posted at 14:00

Sunday 30 October - Player news

As was mentioned in the recent Q&A session with Gary McCann there has been a bit of movement on the player front. Danny O'Sullivan, who made just one appearance this season, has moved on to Wingate & Finchley while goalkeeper Derek Lewis is away gaining first team experience with Leverstock Green. Striker Lamine N'Dour is now with Edgware Town, also gaining first team experience while James Burgess, Youness Nabil and Andrew Judge are all away sorting out various personal problems.

The club recently received an approach from Northwood to sign John Frendo. John was made fully aware of this and after lengthy talks he was happy to remain here at Claremont Road and continue to be part of Gary and Andy's plans this season. Also you may be interested to know that Gary has made some official approaches to other clubs and hopes to speak to the players and clubs involved once the seven day time limit has expired. Should any of the talks be successful we will bring you the news on the website.

Posted at 13:45

Sunday 30 October - Mr Burgess making good recovery

Some supporters will be aware that Herbie Burgess, father of Mark and James, has been in hospital recently. We are delighted to learn from the twins that he is back home and making a successful recovery and we hope to see Herbie back watching games again very soon.

Posted at 10:00

Sunday 30 October - Vice President in hospital

Club Vice President Len Hatwell is currently in hospital and we all hope that he will be returning home very soon. Not being at our games does not stop Len from having a huge interest in our fortunes and a win next weekend would cheer him up a treat! Along with Eve he is sorely missed from the Claremont Road boardroom. Our thoughts and best wishes are with Len at this time.

Posted at 09:45

Saturday 29 October - Hendon nick a point

The Greens picked up an unexpected point in their 2-2 draw with Billericay Town having been 2-0 down and totally outplayed at half time and all Hendon supporters expecting defeat. Billericay deservedly went in ahead thanks to goals in the 15th minute from Ross Wareham and in the 23rd minute from Tom Poole. Hendon did show more desire in the second half but it took a penalty in the 80th minute converted by Jimmy Froud, his first goal for the club, to bring the Greens back into the game, and in the 89th minute Dave Hunt managed to fire the ball into the roof of the net as the visiting defence panicked under pressure for the equaliser.

Posted at 18:45

Tuesday 25 October - Penalty earns point for Greens

Hendon picked up another draw this evening as they drew 1-1 with Walton & Hersham this evening. The Greens were dealt a sucker punch just before half time when Lee Riddell was allowed to race clear of the defence to slot the ball past debutant keeper Sean Thomas. However, they were given a lifeline back into the game in the 68th minute when Ricci Crace was fouled in the box by Nick Gindre. The Swans keeper, who had earlier been booked for a foul on John Frendo, somewhat surprisingly didn't receive a second caution, but Ross Pickett punished him by blasting the penalty into the net. The Greens had the better chances to win the game but, as has been the case this season, they were unable to take their chances.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 24 October - Goal happy youth teams win again

The Sunday youth teams continued their good form with two more thumping victories. The under 15s won 7-3 at Headstone Manor B with Jamie Beagley leading the way with a hat-trick although goalkeeper Joe Maloney was man of the match after making a string of saves in one and one situations. Meanwhile, the under 13s beat Ruislip Manor 6-1 at Copthall. Damilola Thomas and Nassir Elmi led the way with two goals each.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 22 October - Beavers on top

Hendon's poor run of results continued this afternoon as they lost 3-1 at league leaders Hampton & Richmond Borough. The home side took the lead in the 23rd minute through Steve Sodje, although according to Hampton supporters there was a very big hint of offside about the goal. The Greens best chance in the first half fell to Andy Cook who headed just over the bar. Danny Julienne was sent off for his second caution in the 58th minute beforeLawrence Yaku doubled the lead on the hour mark before John Frendo reduced the arrears a few minutes later knocking home a loose ball following a free kick. Yaku made sure of the points in the 83rd minute but the Greens kept battling to try and improve the scoreline right up to the final whistle.

Posted at 18:45

Thursday 20 October - Gary's answers online

Gary has now answered your questions. They can be read by going to the Ask Gary page. We are very grateful to Gary for taking time out this evening, and we hope to do this again later in the season, probably in the new year.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 19 October - Under 15s win again

The under 15's have hit form in style as they won their second game on the spin on Sunday morning. Coming away 8-3 winners from Kodak, they had Charlie Benson to thank for an outstanding man of the match performance in midfield scoring three goals in the process. Will Mabbutt and Matthew Hornblow scored two each to add to the scoreline. The full report can be found on the under 15s section of the site.

Posted at 18:00

Tuesday 18 October - Reserve and youth postponements

The reserve team fixture tomorrow night against Harrow Borough has been postponed as Harrow have a county cup tie. Also, the under 18 fixture at Turkish Community on Saturday has been cancelled as our opponents have withdrawn from the league.

Posted at 18:45

Friday 14 October - Greens slip out of FA Trophy

Hendon were eliminated from the FA Trophy this evening at the first stage by Fisher Athletic, going down 4-2. Fisher, who continually pulled the Hendon defence apart with their pace, had a goal disallowed for offside in the opening minute before the Greens took the lead after 11 minutes when a shot that was going wide from Jeff Campbell hit Andy Cook and flew into the net. However, the lead lasted a mere two minutes as Tim Clancey was left unmarked at the far post to equalise. In the 36th minute Ben Walshe slotted the ball into an empty net and five minutes later Steve Watts was also left unmarked to head home at the far post. Six minutes into the second half, it was the same again as Watts was once again unmarked at the far post to score. All six substitutions came in 15 minutes, during which Hendon started to get back into the game creating a number of chances. Unfortunately just one was converted when John Frendo finished off a fine move with an excellent strike. Fisher held on to win the game, and will go on to face the winners of tomorrows game between Windsor & Eton and Uxbridge. Speaking after the game Gary McCann said "They were just too good for us in the first hour but I must give the boys credit for the effort they put in tonight. We were just not as good as our opponents on the night"

Posted at 23:45

Friday 14 October - League Cup draw

The draw for the third round of the Westview (Isthmian) League Cup was made this morning and we have been drawn away to Brook House. The game will take place on Tuesday 8th November, kicking off at 7.45pm.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 12 October - FA Youth Cup dream ends

The under 18's run in the FA Youth Cup came to an end this evening as they lost 2-1 to Wealdstone. The Stones were by far the better team in the first half and took the lead in the 18th minute when Francois Gabbidon pulled down an attacker in the 18 yard box and the penalty was converted. The lead was doubled 20 minutes later when a defensive lapse let in the goalscorer at the far post. The Greens came out in the second half determined to put things right and were rewarded within 5 minutes when Eddy Mohammed bundled home the ball from close range after very good work by Ronald Adjekwei. The Greens worked hard throughout the half and reduced the visitors to sporadic attacks, but were unable to find a way through for the equaliser.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 12 October - Fixture alterations

Two league fixtures have been rearranged. Firstly on Saturday 22nd October, we will now travel to Hampton & Richmond Borough, bringing forward the fixture due to be played in January. Kick off at the Beveree will be 3.00pm. The Folkestone Invicta game, originally due to be played on 22nd October and postponed due to Folkestone's continued FA Cup involvement will now be played on Monday 5th December at the Buzzlines Stadium. Kick off will be 7.45pm. We are still awaiting for dates to be arranged for the Chelmsford City league game, and the London Senior Cup tie against Dagenham & Redbridge.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 12 October - FA Youth Cup tonight

The under 18's are at home tonight in the second qualifying round of the FA Youth Cup as they entertain Wealdstone. If you're bored with England, why not pop down to Claremont Road and watch our youngsters in action in what will be a very tough test. Admission is £3.00 for adults and £1.00 for concessions, and the game will kick off at 7.45pm.

Posted at 09:45

Tuesday 11 October - Campbell blinder earns Greens equaliser

A blinder of a free kick from Jeff Campbell ten minutes from time earnt Hendon a point against Maldon Town this evening. However, like Windsor, it was a game in which the Greens had plenty of chances to win, but were unable to find the back of the net. Maldon took the lead in the 20th minute when Dean Parratt took advantage of a defensive slip, but in the second half Hendon had the bulk of the pressure but just didn't force the visiting keeper into a save.

Posted at 23:45

Tuesday 11 October - Cooper signs on

Ahead of tonight's fixture against Maldon Town, Gary McCann has secured the signature of Mark Cooper from AFC Wimbledon. Another returnee, Mark last played for the Greens in the 2003/04 Middlesex Senior Cup final where he picked up an achilles injury. Mark made 135 appearances in his first spell with the club scoring 5 goals, whilst he has made 26 appearances for AFC Wimbledon over the past 12 months. We warmly welcome Mark back to the club, and hope he enjoys his time with us once again.

Posted at 23:30

Tuesday 11 October - Youth in goal fest

The Sunday youth teams had a goal feast at the weekend, scoring 21 goals between them. The under 13s led the way with a 14-1 demolition of Ruislip Town A. Debutant striker Nassir Elmi led the way with 5 goals whilst Damilola Thomas scored 4. Also on the scoresheet were Jamie Fitzgerald, Luke Allen, Alan Aberdeen and Dean Rosenthal. At the same time, the under 15s also beat Ruislip Town, but by half the scoreline, running out 7-0 winners. Matthew Hornblow scored a hat-trick to send the youngsters on their way to their first win since the formation of the team in the summer. Full reports can be found on the relevant youth pages as usual.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 11 October - Maldon in town tonight

The first team are in action tonight as they entertain Maldon Town at Claremont Road. Kick off will be at 7.45pm. The Greens will be looking for their first league win since the beginning of September against a side who have just picked up two consecutive wins, the most recent a 3-2 victory over East Thurrock United on Saturday afternoon.

Posted at 09:45

Saturday 08 October - Folkestone game postponed

The league game at Folkestone Invicta due to be played on Saturday 22nd October has been postponed. This is because Folkestone will be playing in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup having beaten Staines Town 2-0 this afternoon. Should the club rearrange another fixture for this date, we will let you know as soon as it is confirmed.

Posted at 17:30

Friday 07 October - Weekend youth team action

Both of our Sunday youth teams are in action this week. Both teams are entertaining Ruislip Town in league games in the respective age groups and both games kick off at 10.30pm at Copthall Playing Fields. All supporters are more than welcome to come and watch the youngsters in action.

Posted at 18:00

Friday 07 October - Under 18 game cancelled

The under 18s London County Youth Shield tie away to Mogadishu Sports has been called off this evening, and the tie has been awarded to the Greens. As a result they will now travel to Fitzrovia Youth in Action in the quarter finals on a date to be confirmed. The under 18s are next in action on Wednesday evening when they entertain Wealdstone in the FA Youth Cup at Claremont Road, kicking off at 7.45pm. Admission to the game will be £3 for adults and £1 for concessions.

Posted at 17:45

Thursday 06 October - Under 18 County Cup tie date

The under 18s will travel to Wealdstone in the second round of the Middlesex County Cup on Wednesday 16th November. The game will be played at Ruislip Manor FC and will kick off at 7.45pm. Meanwhile in the London County Cup they travel to Mogadishu Sports, who play in the Tooting area, this coming Saturday.

Posted at 17:00

Thursday 06 October - Reserves go down to late goal

A young reserve line up went down to a single goal at Dulwich Hamlet. Having held the home side off for nearly the full game, the goal was conceded in the 89th minute meaning that the reserves lost their first league game of the season.

Team : Kambila, Griffiths, Ellis, Carroll, Gabbidon, Peart, Brennan (Ayala), Cortez, Ankrah (Kingsley), Nelson (Efobi), Toku. Unused subs : Chambers-Bignall, Nono.

Posted at 16:45

Wednesday 05 October - Q&A with Gary, a reminder

A reminder to all supporters that we are giving you the opportunity to put your questions to Gary McCann. All the responses will be posted on the website. However, only one question has been sent in so far and unless more questions are sent in over the next few days the Q&A session won't go ahead. If you have any questions, please e-mail them to and we'll give it until midweek next week to see if anymore questions are received.

Posted at 22:00

Tuesday 04 October - Hendon pay the penalty

Hendon paid the penalty for not taking their chances as they drew 1-1 at Windsor & Eton this evening. The Greens took the lead in the 33rd minute when Craig Hughes passed the ball out wide to Danny Murphy, who in turn delivered a great cross into the path of Ricci Crace who fired the ball home with his second touch. The Greens opened the second half very brightly and had a number of chances to extend their lead. Unfortunately the chances from Crace, Hughes and Murphy either went just over or were well saved by Kieron Drake in the Windsor goal. Hendon lost their midway through the half when there was a lengthy stoppage as home striker David Warner was stretchered off after colliding with Dave King. Shortly afterwards Marc Leach clearly gave away a penalty which was clinically converted by Peter Holsgrove. Windsor then had the best of the final 20 minutes but Hendon were able to hold on for a point.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 04 October - Reserves in action tomorrow

The reserves are in Capital League action tomorrow evening as they make the trip across London to play Dulwich Hamlet. Kick off at Champion Hill is at 7.45pm.

Posted at 10:00

Sunday 02 October - 150 club September winners

The 150 club September draw was made yesterday and the winner of the £50 prize is number 113. The winner of the £25 prize is number 108. Both winners will be notified in writing in the next couple of weeks.

Posted at 18:45

Sunday 02 October - Under 15's find it tough

The under 15's were the only youth side in action this weekend. The under 18's progressed in the league cup by default after Southall Reserves withdrew from the competition whilst the under 13's were without a game. The under 15's found it tough going this morning as they lost 7-1 to Harlington, who are already looking likely divisional winners having scored 32 goals in 4 games this season. However, it could have been different as before Harlington opened the scoring the Greens had three one-on-one's which they failed to convert and were unfortunate to go in at half time 1-0 down. Harlington took control of the game with 3 goals in the first 9 minutes of the second half and Hendon's only goal came when Harlington were 5-0 up when Matthew Hornblow pulled a goal back.

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 01 October - Late equaliser earns Greens point

An 87th minute equaliser from Ross Pickett earnt Hendon a deserved point as they drew 2-2 with Worthing this afternoon. Hendon played well in the first half and deservedly took the lead in the 38th minute when René Street headed home. Worthing, came out in the second half determined to get back in the game and did so in the 55th minute when Sam Francis was left unmarked to head home. Five minutes later Worthing were ahead again when Marc Cable slid the ball home into an unguarded net. However, the Greens were determined to get back in the game, and excellent work from teenage substitutes Jimmy Froud and Craig Hughes created the chance for Pickett to slot the ball into the net.

Posted at 18:45