News - October 2003

Wednesday 29 October - Strong reserves beat Yeading

A strong reserve side containing a number of first teamers had a good workout this evening as they ran out 4-1 winners over Yeading at Claremont Road. Hendon took the lead after 10 minutes when Ricci Crace turned the ball home before Ricardo Alves doubled the lead a few minutes later when he broke through the defence with a mazy run to score. Yeading then pulled a goal back only for Ricci Crace to restore the two goal lead within a minute. The score remained 3-1 at half time, and throughout much of the second half until Eugene Ofori headed home from a corner. It was a pleasing performance for the Hendon coaching staff as the focus now turns to the first team friendly on Saturday.

Team : King, M.Burgess, Duncan, Meakin, Rose, Cook, Crace (Randall HT), Hunt (Llewellyn 70), Alves (Huggett 70), Ofori, Cousins. Unused sub : Lindsay.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 29 October - Prices confirmed for Cheshunt

Admission prices for Saturday's friendly against Cheshunt have been confirmed. Adults will be charged £5.00 and concessions will be charged £2.00.

Posted at 22:30

Wednesday 29 October - Friendly game on Saturday

We have fixed up a friendly on Saturday afternoon against Cheshunt. The game will take place at Claremont Road and will kick off at 1.00pm. Entry prices will be confirmed in the next 24 hours. Meanwhile our Boxing Day fixture against Harrow Borough has been put back to Saturday, 27th December, and will kick off at Earlsmead at 3.00pm.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 28 October - Reserves in action tomorrow

The reserves are back in action tomorrow evening after a three week break as they entertain Yeading at Claremont Road. Kick off is at 7.45pm. There is a good chance that there will be a first team presence in the line up. If any supporters are suffering withdrawal symptoms, why not pop down. Entrance is just £3 for adults, and £1 for concessions and season ticket holders.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 21 October - Hendon back to winning ways

Hendon returned to winning ways this evening at Braintree Town, coming away victors 3-1 in a game delayed until 8.00pm due to traffic problems on the way to the game. In the 13th minute Braintree took the lead when a shot from Dean Parratt took a wicked deflection and flew into the net giving Dave King no chance. However, Hendon fought back and were rewarded on the stroke of half time when a short corner was crossed into the box by Scott Cousins and Eugene Ofori sent a fierce header into the net. The Greens came out fighting in the second half and took the lead in the 57th minute when a delicious cross from Iain Duncan was volleyed home by Ricci Crace. Four minutes later Ofori scored his second of the evening when he lifted the ball over the keeper after being sent clear by an excellent pass from Andy Cook. There were more chances for the lead to be further extended, but chances for Crace, Randall, Bates and Cousins didn't find the target. It was a much improved performance from the Greens, who will now go into their two week break with much more confidence.

Posted at 23:30

Tuesday 21 October - Fixture news

Unfortunately, so far we have been unable to rearrange any games for the two blank Saturdays that are coming up. However, one date that has been fixed is our London Senior Cup Third Round tie against our old friends Dulwich Hamlet, which will take place on Tuesday 9th December at Claremont Road, kicking off at 7.45pm.

Posted at 14:00

Tuesday 21 October - Richard Evans released

Richard Evans has been released this morning by mutual consent following a meeting with manager Dave Anderson. We would like to thank Richard for his efforts for the past couple of months, and wish him all the best as he continues his career elsewhere.

Posted at 10:00

Sunday 19 October - Johnny Arbiter

We were all shocked and saddened to learn a few days ago of the sudden passing of our Chairman's son Johnny. He was a terrific lad and much loved by all his family and his many friends. To our Chairman Ivor Arbiter and his wife Mrs Adrienne Arbiter, Joanne and all of Johnny's family, our thoughts our with you as we extend our sincere condolences.

Posted at 18:00

Sunday 19 October - Non League Directory now available

The 2004 Non League Directory is now available in the club shop. They retail at £19.50 in the shops, but we are delighted to be able to offer them to you at £14.50 once again this year. The directory is an excellent publication and is an essential item for any Non League Football supporter.

Posted at 17:00

Sunday 19 October - Christmas Draw

As part of their fund-raising activities, the Supporters Association will be holding a Christmas Draw. They have already secured a number of excellent prizes, but would really welcome donations from supporters of any additional prizes. Please leave any donations with one of the committee members

Posted at 16:00

Saturday 18 October - Poor home form continues

Hendon's poor home form continued this afternoon as league leaders Carshalton Athletic ran out 2-1 winners. The Robins, who were a hardworking side, took the lead shortly before half time when a shot from Des Boateng found its way into the net following a goalmouth scramble. The lead was doubled early in the second half through Ali Russell and at that point it looked like Carshalton would be comfortable winners. However, the introduction of Andre Delisser and Eugene Ofori sparked Hendon into life and Ofori pulled a goal back with twelve minutes to go. There were chances at both ends in the final ten minutes, the best of which fell to Carshalton striker Kunle Olusesi who saw his shot well saved by Dave King and the Robins held on for all three points.

Posted at 18:30

Monday 13 October - More player news

The appearance of striker Pat Gavin in the Hendon team against Aylesbury was a one-off. The former Harrow Borough striker is now with Chelmsford City, who released him for this game as Hendon struggled with a long absentee list in the striking department.

Joel Bevis, who made his debut against Bognor Regis Town, is a 32-year-old striker. Born in Guadeloupe, the French Caribbean island birthplace of Thierry Henry, Bevis was educated in Paris and joined Paris St Germain's youth set-up. After completing his education, he played top-level non-league football in France for Malakoff, before trying his luck in Germany with Saarbrucken in the Bundesliga. Bevis came to England last year but suffered injuries and only played a few times for Hastings United as a team-mate of Dave King.

Posted at 17:00

Monday 13 October - Youth and womens round up

It was County Cup day for our three youth teams that were in action yesterday, and two came away with wins, while the third lost. Leading the way were the Under 16's who won 8-0 against Real Shepperton, Tyrone Walker scoring a hat-trick. The Under 15's had an excellent 5-3 win at Ealing Shamrock A, who are in the top division in the age group, Richard Campbell contributing with three goals, taking his tally for the season so far to 14 in just four games. It wasn't such good news for the Under 14's who lost 10-4 at Northwood. However Matthew Hornblow did get on the scoresheet three times to make it a hat-trick of hat-tricks for the youth teams.

The Women's team travelled to London Women, and won 3-2 thanks to two strikes from Michelle Smith and one from Lisa Noble. Smith's second and decisive goal came with just five minutes to go.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 11 October - Eastwood kills off Greens cup hopes

Hendon's hopes of a decent FA Cup run this season came to an end as they were outplayed by Grays Athletic, who ran out 3-0 winners courtesy of a hat-trick from young hotshot Freddie Eastwood. The scoring was opened as early as the second minute when Eastwood took advantage of some lax defending. The Greens came back into the game a bit, but were unable to create anything clearcut, and just before half time the lead was doubled when Eastwood netted from the penalty spot following a foul by a Hendon defender near the touchline. Hendon came out fighting in the second half and did have the ball in the net through Martin Randall, only for the assistant referee to rule out the goal with a controversial offside decision. Within a couple of minutes any hopes Hendon had of coming back into the game were dashed when Eastwood broke past a static defence to score an excellent goal. Hendon did force the Grays keeper into a number of saves in the second half, but overall it was an extremely disappointing afternoon.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 10 October - One player leaves, another transfer listed

Dave Anderson has announced today that one player has left the club, all be it on a temporary basis, while another player has been transfer listed. The departing player is defender James Burgess, who has joined Berkhamsted Town on a short term basis. We thank James for his efforts so far this season, and look forward to welcoming him back to the club in a few weeks time. Meanwhile the player transfer listed is Steve Forbes. The midfielder has been placed on the list by Dave, and any clubs who are interested in signing him should contact Dave direct.

Posted at 15:00

Wednesday 08 October - Reserves lose to experienced Rebels side

The reserves lost 2-1 this evening to a Slough Town side filled with experience, including former Hendon favourite Freddie Hyatt. Hendon took the lead in the 22nd minute when a cross from Joel Bevis was touched on by Slough keeper Alan Foster for Jon-Barrie Bates to head home from close range. Slough came back into the game well in the second half and equalised on the hour mark when Andrew Deaner scored a quite excellent goal from the edge of the area after excellent build up. The winning goal came in the 83rd minute when Matthew Seedal broke clear of the defence and slotted the ball past Dean Lindsay.

Team : Dean Lindsay, Gary Meakin, Andy Hutchinson (Jaz Rose 85), Mark Burgess, James Burgess, Simon Huggett (Daniel Llewellyn 78), Jon-Barrie Bates, Joel Bevis, Martin Randall, Ricardo Alves, Sam Byfield (David Kiobel 71).

Posted at 23:30

Tuesday 07 October - Hendon share spoils with Ducks

Hendon came away from Aylesbury United tonight with a share of the points as the two sides drew 1-1. Hendon fielded new signing Pat Gavin up front, and Dave Hunt made his first league appearance starting in midfield. Neither side ever really took total control of the game and first blood fell to the Ducks in the 25th minute when a long throw from Adam Campion was flicked on to Chris Bangura who fired the ball into the net. However, the Greens fought back and equalised when a pass from Hunt to Gavin was headed back to Hunt who ran on to the ball and lifted it over the keeper for his first goal for the club. Both sides had chances to extend the lead, Hendon's best chance falling to substitute Ricardo Alves who saw his 25 yard drive heading into the goal before Kevin Davies made a fine save to push the ball out for a corner.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 06 October - Pools pull the plug

We have been rewarded for our high league finish last season with a bye in the FA Trophy First Round. That sees us with a blank Saturday on 1st November and so we had agreed to bring forward our New Years Day fixture against crowd pullers Thurrock. With the high attendances that Thurrock are attracting to their ground we had hoped that their supporters might travel in similar numbers and therefore considerably add to our average gate. Thurrock agreed to the date change but the Ryman League refused to sanction it because our New Years Day game here has been selected for the pools coupon!

Posted at 14:00

Monday 06 October - 150 club winnters

The 150 club winners for September have been announced and the first prize of £50 went to John Rice, while the second prize went to Lyn Etchell. If you wish to join the monthly 150 club, it only costs £2 per month, please collect a form from the club shop on a matchday.

Posted at 13:30

Monday 06 October - Ton up boys

Five players have made their 100th appearance for the club in recent weeks. On 6th September in the win against Canvey Island, club captain Jon-Barrie Bates reached the century mark, and then both Ricci Crace and Eugene Ofori made their 100th appearances in the 2-0 win at Bedford Town. Mark Cooper became the fourth player to hit the ton last week against Enfield, and then on Saturday, Iain Duncan also made his 100th appearance. The only other current players in the century club are Dale Binns (180) and Gary McCann (195).

Posted at 13:15

Monday 06 October - Youth team round up

The youth team pages are now all updated with up to date fixtures, results, reports and tables. The Under 11's have yet to start due to a few behind the scenes problems, but they will commence their season on Sunday 19th October. As a consequence they have had to forfeit their first two games. The other three teams have had a mixed start to the season, although the Under 15's are yet to concede a goal in the league. Full details can be found by clicking the relevant links on the left hand menu.

In yesterday's games Tyrone Walker scored 5 goals for the Under 16's as they beat St Josephs B in the league cup, the Under 15's lost 5-2 at Harefield United in their league cup, while the Under 14's lost 6-0 at Princes Park in a division where there has been an awful lot of goals already.

Posted at 13:00

Saturday 04 October - Patched up Greens draw

In a game of two halves Hendon drew 2-2 with Bognor Regis Town. With both Eugene Ofori and Ricci Crace appearing to carry injuries, and the subs bench consisting completely of reserve team players, Hendon were the better team in the first half and took the lead when a counter attack led to the ball falling to Andre Delisser who finished clinically. The second goal came soon afterwards when Ofori was bundled over in the box and Steve Forbes fired the penalty high into the top corner of the goal. Bognor however were playing some good football, and in the second half stopped the Greens from playing the way they wanted. The visitors were rewarded in the 57th minute when a mistake from James Burgess let in Matt Russell who finished well. The equalising goal came with little more than 5 minutes to go when Rupert Sansom found the back of the net. The second half performance was disappointing, but it must be said that Bognor are probably the best team seen so far this season other than Canvey Island. Hendon did have a couple of late chances created by substitute Joel Bevis, but the luck was with Bognor in front of goal.

Posted at 18:45

Friday 03 October - Fashanu's Football Challenge

As some supporters are aware, John Fashanu is running a Sunday league side in the Hendon Sunday League this season. Their fortunes are being followed throughout the season on Bravo (Channel 124 on SKY) and the first programme goes out tonight, we believe at 9.00pm but check your listings to confirm. The team is called Fash FC and they will be playing their home games at Claremont Road on Sunday mornings, kicking off at 11.00am. Their first competitive game is this coming Sunday against St Andrews. There will be no admission charge.

Last Sunday Fash FC played our reserve team, our reserves running out 5-3 winners. Highlights of this game will either be shown tonight, or on Sunday evening on Bravo. If you do watch the programme, keep an eye on the title sequence. You may just spot a familiar face.

Posted at 10:00