News - April 2016

Monday 25 April - Gary pleased with second half resilience

Gary McCann felt his team had shown great pride and resilience in the face of adversity at Bognor Regis Town on Saturday. He said, "It was extremely tough for us against a very good team with everything still to play for.

"I think it was a game too far for us after the effort we had put in the previous week. Three games in five days was too much for quite a few of the players, and the injury to Casey proved that.

"We had so many players unavailable, through work or injuries, that we had only 14 available - neither Finbarr Robins nor Tony Taggart (who was to run 4hrs 22mins in his first Marathon the following day) would have been used except in the direst of emergencies - and with Ben Pattie being ill, Scott Cousins was the third substitute after 18-year-old Brandon Adams and 16-year-old Nyv Bogaire.

"Sam Flegg, Omar Vassell and Adam Wallace all had work commitments, and as well as Pattie's illness, Robins and Oliver Achille were both nursing injuries enough for them not to be available. Given the choice, I would have rested both Chris Seeby and Maclaren.

"I must give huge credit to the squad for the way they stood up to Bognor in the second half. When we went in at half-time trailing 3-0 I told the players we could be looking a big defeat, but they showed great heart, pride and resilience in going toe-to-toe with them in the second half and only conceded in the last minute.

"But our defensive frailities, which have been our downfall so often this season, showed up again in the first half. All three goals were preventable on our part. We also had a really good chance of getting an equaliser at 1-0 down. Who knows how the game would have gone, if we had got back on level terms?

"We now have 10 clear days to prepare for the London Senior Cup final. I hope to have a number of players back for the game. If we can retain the trophy we won last season, it will be a fantastic end to this season."

Posted at 17:36

Monday 25 April - Under 18s win Eastern Junior Alliance

The under 18s were celebrating yesterday after they won the Eastern Junior Alliance Brown Division title following their 3-1 win at St Albans City. That result, coupled with Barton Rovers going down to a surprise 4-1 defeat at bottom side Wingate & Finchley, ensured that our youngsters secured the title with a game to spare. The outstanding game at Wingate will not be played.

Meanwhile, in the Ryman Youth League West Division, they have one game left, tomorrow evening at home to Northwood, but regardless of the result, they will finish in a very creditable 4th place in their first season in the competition. Staines Town won the league last week.

It has been a successful season for the under 18s, with 16 year old Keagan Cole being a regular starter for the first team during the run in, whilst Nyv Bogaire, Oliver Achille and Kieran Warren have also made appearances for the senior side.

We are very grateful to those supporters who have been able to attend some of their games this season - and all are welcome to attend the game tomorrow evening at Silver Jubilee Park.

Congratulations go to manager Richie Campbell, his coaching staff and all the players on their achievements this season.

Posted at 13:30

Saturday 23 April - Well beaten at Bognor

The first team were well beaten 4-0 by Bognor Regis Town this afternoon as the hosts secured the runners-up spot on the final day of the season.

Jason Prior opened the scoring in the 3rd minute, Alfie Rutherford doubled the lead in the 25th minute before Prior scored his second shortly before half-time. The final goal was scored by Connor Tighe in the 89th minute.

Posted at 23:09

Saturday 23 April - Gary and Freddie elated by midweek win

Gary McCann and Freddie Hyatt could not hide their joy after winning at Burgess Hill on Wednesday night.

Hyatt noted, "All the boys put in a big shift and we defended very well. A big pat on the back all off the back four and goalkeeper.

"It was a very good team performance."

McCann, looking at the bigger picture, admitted, "I am delighted with the result that makes us safe. It has taken five or six games longer than I - or anyone at the club - wanted.

"We knew, with Farnborough being demoted, that fourth from bottom would mean safety, but I still consider that finishing in 21st place would have been a failure. I told the players and they have responded to me.

"The four points we have taken from the last two matches has taken a huge effort. We have had a number of players who have gone through it in the past couple of weeks, battling illness and injuries, still turning out and giving me their all. It has been a season that has drained us mentally and physically.

"In terms of the squad we were down to the barest of bones. So I have had to rely on a number of very young players. They have not let me down.

"This means that we can go down to Bognor Regis Town on Saturday and enjoy ourselves. We know it is going to be a very difficult game for us, but it will be on one of the best pitches in the league and against one of the best teams too.

"However, we won't have the added burden of looking over our shoulders or wondering about other games.

"All in all, this has probably been the most difficult season in my 11 years in management. Personally and professionally, there has been so much to deal with over the past nine months and there have been some very dark days.

"I would dispute the observation from anyone that we have underperformed as a team this season. We have had the heart and soul of the team missing this year and for a multitude of reasons; in fact only three players have been consistently available all season last year and this - Ollie Sprague, Dave Diedhiou and Kezie Ibe.

"But now we finish the season at Bognor and, 10 days later, can look forward to another London Senior Cup Final. If we can retain the London Senior Cup, all in all, the season won't have been a failure."

Posted at 08:50

Thursday 21 April - Gary reflects on Billericay draw

When asked if he was satisfied or disappointed with a point from the Billericay match, Gary McCann admitted, “When the final whistle blew I was disappointed to have only drawn.

"But, when we had been lining up to face that penalty at 1-0 down, I would have been delighted with a point. I am not sure we would have been able to come back from going 2-0 down at that stage of the game.

"In the first part of the first half we had to defend well, but we then got much better as the half went on. We were the better team in the final 20 minutes of the first half.

"In fact, in terms of a complete performance, I think it was one our best for a few months. Even in the second half, when Billericay had a big territorial advantage, we made sure they didn’t create too many chances.

"There were two huge individual positives on the night. First, Chris Seeby came back and played well in his first competitive match for almost 15 months. He looked like he had never been away and the goal he scored was as sweetly struck as you could have wished for.

"Second, you don't get Hollywood scripts in football, but if Dave Diedhiou had scored with his diving header in the 89th minute, it would have been a Hollywood ending to his 300th match for Hendon. It has been an honour and a pleasure to work with and manage Dave in the past eight seasons."

Posted at 18:23

Wednesday 20 April - Three points at Burgess Hill

The first team ensured that they would finish outside of the bottom four tonight as they won 1-0 at Burgess Hill Town.

The goal came in the 83rd minute when the Burgess Hill keeper fumbled a cross from Mahrez Bettache against one of his defenders, and the ball bounced into the net off another defender for an own goal to secure the points for the travelling Greens.

Posted at 22:27

Wednesday 20 April - 100th appearance for Ollie Sprague

This evening sees another player reach a milestone, with Ollie Sprague making his 100th first team appearance at Burgess Hill Town.

Ollie made his debut two years and one day ago, in a 3-2 defeat to Grays Athletic whilst on a dual registration from Northwood, his only appearance that season.

He joined the club permanently in the summer of 2014, and has made the number 3 shirt his own over the past two years with a string of impressive performances, scoring twice before tonight's game.

Ollie is yet another player to make at least 100 appearances under Gary McCann, and we hope that there are many more to come.

Posted at 19:12

Monday 18 April - Improved Greens pick up a point

In a game that saw Dave Diedhiou make his 300th appearance, and Chris Seeby return from over a year out injured, the first team picked up a creditable point against Billericay Town in a 1-1 draw.

Tom Derry gave the visitors the lead in the 39th minute, and shortly afterwards Glenn Poole missed a chance to double the lead as he slammed a penalty against the base of the post.

Play moved down the other end, and the Billericay keeper cleared the ball, only to see Seeby smash it back over his head into the net from fully 45 yards.

The second period saw the Greens look the brighter but unable to secure the final ball, and both sides had to be satisfied with a point.

The Greens go into the final two away games knowing that their Premier Division status was secured at the weekend, with Brentwood Town now joining Lewes and VCD Athletic in being relegated, and Farnborough having been effectively relegated early in the season due to financial irregularities.

Posted at 21:48

Monday 18 April - Dave Diedhiou makes 300th appearance

Dave Diedhiou has become the 21st player to make 300 first team appearances for the club having been named in the starting line up this evening.

Dave originally joined the club as a 19 year old from Middlesex County League side Willesden Constantine in the summer of 2008, and made his debut as a substitute at Sutton United that August. Just a few weeks later, he was the last Hendon player to score at Claremont Road in the final game there against Wealdstone, this being his first goal for the club.

His appearances in the first season were limited, and he spent a fair amount of the campaign away on loan with Wembley. However, he returned at the beginning of the 2009/10 season, and other than when injuries have got in the way, he has been a very important member of the squad, particularly given his abilities to play both in defence and in midfield.

Always happy to play wherever Gary McCann has asked him too, Dave has also contributed to the goal tally, scoring 35 goals before tonight's game. His most prolific season was the 2013/14 campaign when he scored 9 goals.

The other players to have made at least 300 appearances are Dexter Adams, John Baker, George Bucci, James Burgess, Alan Campbell, Simon Clarke, Micky Cooper, Peter Deadman, Dermot Drummy, Bill Fisher, Rod Haider, Gary Hand, David Hogwood, Andy O'Brien, James Parker, Jimmy Quail, Dave Root, Roy Stroud, John Swannell and Laurie Topp.

Everyone connected with the club congratulates Dave on reaching the milestone of 300 appearances, and we all hope that there are many more to come.

Posted at 19:48

Monday 18 April - Tonight's game goes ahead

We are pleased to announce that the pitch at Earlsmead has recovered enough to allow this evening's final home game of the season to go ahead as planned. Kick off for the game against Billericay Town will be at 7:45pm

Posted at 13:24

Saturday 16 April - Billericay game postponed and rearranged

Our game against Billericay Town this afternoon has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch and will now take place on Monday evening, kick off at 7:45pm.

There was substantial heavy rain yesterday afternoon, and the pitch has unfortunately not recovered enough overnight.

Posted at 10:22

Friday 15 April - Pitch inspection at 10:30

There will be a pitch inspection at 10:30am tomorrow morning to see if our game against Billericay Town can go ahead following the rain today.

We will update through the usual channels as soon as we can tomorrow once the result of the inspection is known.

Posted at 19:43

Wednesday 13 April - New date for Burgess Hill Town

Our outstanding game at Burgess Hill Town will be played on Wednesday 20th April kicking off at the slightly earlier time of 7:30pm.

Posted at 18:05

Wednesday 13 April - Gary left infuriated and frustrated

Gary McCann and his players spent a long time talking after the 3-2 defeat at home to Leatherhead. To say the manager was angry with the performance would be an understatement as he said, "I thought we were lucky to lose by only one goal.

"It would have been far worse but for a heroic performance by Joe Wright. Our goalkeeper kept the score down with a string of great saves.

"You can't help but have sleepless night after that performance. It was so disappointing.

"We made two changes simply because the two players who come off were running on empty after putting so much in. Even though we were leading 2-1, The performance and context of the game had a feeling we would concede again. Too many players were not performing anywhere near well enough.

"I don't have to lambast players in public, but all were made aware of their shortfalls. I will be addressing this further and other issues with a number of players and the team that will be selected Saturday will have to see changes where possible. We have to be better in many aspects of our play."

Posted at 17:51

Monday 11 April - Greens lose again

The first team slipped to a third consecutive defeat as Leatherhead left Earlsmead 3-2 winners.

Kiernan Hughes-Mason gave the visitors an 8th minute lead before Carl McCluskey equalised in the 32nd minute.

McCluskey put the Greens ahead in the 53rd, but a quickfire double from Frannie Collin, a perennial thorn in the side for Hendon, secured the points for the Surrey side.

Posted at 22:09

Saturday 09 April - Burgess Hill game postponed

This afternoon's game at Burgess Hill Town has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. A new date will be advised as soon as possible, but is likely to be in the final week of the season.

Posted at 10:53

Saturday 09 April - Pitch inspection at 11:00

Following the overnight rain, there will be a pitch inspection at Burgess Hill Town at 11:00 to see if our game can go ahead. We will update again as soon as we know the result of the inspection.

Posted at 09:50

Friday 08 April - Annual Presentation Evening

Our Annual Presentation Evening will take place at Silver Jubilee Park on Saturday 7th May. Full details and timings will be confirmed in the next week or two.

Posted at 19:25

Thursday 07 April - Joyce Barrett funeral details

We now have the funeral details for Joyce Barrett, a long time supporter who sadly passed away last month.

The funeral will take place on Monday 18th April at 12pm at St Andrew's United Reformed Church, Aycliffe Road, Borehamwood, WD6 4HB, followed by the commital at Garston (West Herts) Crematorium, WD25 0JS at 1.20pm.

The reception will be at the Shooting Star pub, Rossington Avenue, Borehamwood, WD6 4LA.

Posted at 17:52

Tuesday 05 April - Young Greens comfortably beaten

A young Hendon side was comfortably beaten 4-1 by Brentwood Town this evening, with three members of the under 18 squad in the starting XI.

Alex Teniola put the home side in the lead in the 20th minute, and scored again shortly after half-time. Ben Pattie pulled a goal back almost immediately but in the 58th minute Sam Bantick restorted the two goal advantage before Teniola completed his hat-trick in stoppage time.

Posted at 21:49

Monday 04 April - Gary realistic after Tonbridge defeat

Gary McCann had no complaints about the defeat against Tonbridge on Saturday. He said, "We had to put out a very young team, and used six teenagers in the 14 used players, against a very strong, well organised and clinical opponent. I think they will be very hard to beat in the playoffs.

"I thought we had done very well to hold them goalless in the first half, but then the manner in which we conceded those three goals in 13 minutes was disappointing. At 3-0 down with 33 minutes to go, I was concerned, but we showed good resilience to keep the score to 3-0.

"Losing Luke Tingey so early made things very difficult for us. Injuries have been the running thread throughout this season and on Saturday, we had a few experienced players that weren’t fit and then we had to reshuffle our team which weakened us in certain areas.

"I was really pleased with the energy that Nyv Bogaire brought to us out wide in the final half-hour. He and Keagan Cole are both 17 and 16 respectively, which gives us great hopes in the future. I am sure we will have a chance to look at some of the other youngsters we have signed out of our under-18s before the season is over."

Posted at 18:09

Sunday 03 April - Greens beaten by Angels

A three goal blitz early in the second half was enough to secure all three points for Tonbridge Angels yesterday afternoon.

Charlie Webster, Nathan Elder and Anthony Riviere were the scorers, taking away the game from the Greens and ending the ten match unbeaten run.

Posted at 11:18

Friday 01 April - Two more U18s added to squad

Ahead of the transfer deadline this week, Gary McCann added two more members of the under 18 team to the first team squad making it 6 in total who have been registered.

The latest additions are Nyv Bogaire and Jordan Spearman, both of whom will turn 18 in June.

Also added to the squad is young keeper Matthew Nolan, who has signed on dual-registration terms from Chesham United as cover for Joe Wright.

With the deadline passing at 5pm yesterday evening, there will no further additions to the squad until next season.

Posted at 16:57

Friday 01 April - Gary happy with a point at Wingate

Gary McCann was happy to take the point the team won at Wingate & Finchley on Monday afternoon. He said: "We didn't start well and couldn't get to grips with them in the first 15-20 minutes. The first minute goal was bad defending by us form a corner and it really knocked us back.

"But, to turn that into a positive, we didn't concede again, and we deservedly went in level at half-time. In the second half it was quite even, but we did create some very good chances which we failed to take.

"All in all it was a point gained by us. Either team could have won the game in the second half but, equally, both could have just as easily lost it, so a draw was the right result.

"We had a really young squad for this game with eight players aged 21 or under in our 16. And, the good news is, we should get two or three players back in the next week or so."

Posted at 16:56