News - April 2006

Sunday 30 April - Message from Gary McCann

Gary McCann has sent a message to all Hendon supporters following yesterday's disappointment.

"The taste of relegation hurts badly, both my staff and players failed all of our great supporters. You have all supported us magnificently this season. But one thing is for sure, the experience will make us stronger and better for the future. We will now start preparing to build a side for an immediate return to the Premier Division. Thanks again for all the support received this year, we really do appreciate it."

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 29 April - Greens relegated for the first time

Hendon's hopes of staying in the Ryman Premier Division were dashed this afternoon as they lost 4-2 to Margate, thus meaning that the club was relegated for the first time in their history. However, at half time everything looked different as the Greens led 2-0 through goals from Jeff Campbell and Ricci Crace, although Margate hit the woodwork three times in the opening period. Blaise O'Brien had a great chance to make it 3-0 around the hour mark, but within a minute Spencer Knight had pulled a goal back. Danny Hockton equalised two minutes later, and in the 66th minute Knight scored his second of the afternoon. The final nail was put in the coffin by Lee Protheroe in injury time to complete a miserable season for Hendon.

Posted at 20:00

Thursday 27 April - It's D-Day for Hendon

Saturday is D-Day for the Greens as they bid to avoid relegation for the first time in their 98 year history. Not once since formation in 1908 has the club finished in a relegation spot, but in order to keep up this record, the Greens must win at Margate on Saturday afternoon. Even then, survival will be dependent on results in the Southern League and Unibond League. Should Hendon fail to win, they will be relegated regardless of other results. The concentration of the players, management and supporters alike must be to win those three points. Only if the three points have been won, will it be worth worrying about the results elsewhere.

It would be wonderful to see as many supporters at Hartsdown Park as possible on Saturday afternoon for what is one of the most important games in the history of the club. However, if you are unable to get there, the Margate website will have full live commentary from 2.45pm

Posted at 11:00

Tuesday 25 April - Cup final disappointment

It was cup final disappointment for the Greens this evening as they lost the London Senior Cup Final 3-2 against Fisher Athletic at the impressive Tooting & Mitcham ground. In a fairly even first half, Fisher took the lead in the 24th minute when Chris Piper finished a swift move with a superb shot across the goal. Shortly after half time Lenny Piper doubled the lead, before Hamid Barr made it 3-0 on the hour mark from the penalty spot. However, the Greens refused to give up and pulled a goal back five minutes later when Marc Leach headed home a Jeff Campbell free kick, and with four minutes to go Mark Cooper headed home after Dave Hunt had hit the bar from a Charlie Mapes free kick. However, Hendon were unable to find an equaliser, and Fisher were relieved to hear the final whistle.

Posted at 23:45

Monday 24 April - Reserves tonight - an apology

The club would like to apologise to those supporters who turned up for this evening's postponed reserve team fixture at Claremont Road against Farnborough Town. The game was called off due to Farnborough's involvement in a cup final, but the message hadn't been passed through to the website editors. The game hasn't yet been rearranged. The reserve game at home to Salisbury on Wednesday goes ahead as planned.

Posted at 21:30

Sunday 23 April - Phil completes the marathon

Phil Rogers successfully completed the London Marathon earlier today in a time of 3 hours 26 minutes 48 seconds, 22 seconds quicker than last year. In actual fact Phil was disappointed with the time as he had been hoping to be around the 3 hour mark. Phil is very grateful for all the pledges of sponsorship, and now asks that all monies are paid in as soon as possible. As Phil is returning to university tomorrow, please give your sponsorship money to Steve or Chris Rogers at either game this week, or alternatively send a cheque made payable to P.A Rogers in an envelope marked for Phil's attention at the main club address.

Posted at 14:30

Sunday 23 April - It's cup final time

The first team will be aiming to put aside any thoughts about league survival for the next couple of days as they concentrate on the London Senior Cup final against Fisher Athletic. The two clubs have already met four times this season, with Fisher winning three and the Greens winning one. Fisher won 2-1 in the league at Claremont Road, 1-0 in the league cup at Claremont Road and 4-2 in the FA Trophy at Champion Hill. The Greens victory came at Champion Hill in the league. Fisher have secured a place in the play-offs, but they will be extremely focused on adding to their silverware following their recent league cup final victory over Billericay Town, a game that they won 4-0. The game is taking place at Tooting & Mitcham's new Imperial Fields stadium, please don't go to the old Sandy Lane ground. Directions to the ground can be found on the link below. We look forward to seeing as many supporters there as possible.

Posted at 10:00

Sunday 23 April - A vote of thanks

The club would like to thank all those supporters and helpers to took time out to man the turnstiles, sell programmes, 50-50 tickets, man the tea bar, club shop and fulfill all the other jobs around the ground. It helped the day go very smoothly. The club would also like to thank the supporters of both teams for their behaviour, and making the job of the stewards and police easy. It was a pleasure to welcome everyone connected with AFC Wimbledon to Claremont Road again, and we wish them all the best for the play offs.

Posted at 09:30

Saturday 22 April - Greens must win next weekend

Hendon lost what is likely to be their last first team game at Claremont Road this afternoon 1-0 to AFC Wimbledon, the decisive goal coming on the hour mark when Richard Butler finished clinically to finish a swift counter attack down the right wing. Wimbledon had been dealt a blow on the stroke of half time when Scott Curley was sent off, for the second time in his career at Claremont Road, this time for an elbow. However, after the goal, the Wombles were able to shut up shop and despite lots of hard work from the Greens they were unable to get an equaliser. Results elsewhere this afternoon mean that Hendon have to win at Margate, and hope that results elsewhere go their way in order to stay up.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 22 April - Parker is fans favourite

Following the game this afternoon, the annual supporters player of the year award was presented. The winner this year was young defender James Parker, who despite two injuries during the season, has been an very important part of the defence this season. Also, under 13 player and regular supporter Jake Paul was named as young supporter of the year, and the driving force behind the supporters trust, Simon Lawrence, was named as supporter of year. We congratulate all three on their respective awards.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 21 April - Hendon in Daily Telegraph

As some supporters will be aware, Daily Telegraph columnist Ricky George attended our recent home game against Chelmsford City. As a consequence, an article has been published in today's edition.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 20 April - Saturday is Green & White day

As Saturday is not only the last home game of the season, but also more than likely our last first team game at Claremont Road, it would be fantastic if as many people as possible could wear green & white. The idea has been suggested by the supporters trust as part of the day, which will also see the official launch of the trust. A number of former players are expected to be at the game from across the past 50 years, and the trust will also be presenting the cheque to St Lukes Hospice in respect of the money raised through the sponsored walk a few weeks ago.

We would also like to remind supporters to arrive as early as possible to help avoid congestion at the turnstiles, and to also have the correct money ready where possible to help speed up the entry process.

We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on Saturday afternoon.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 18 April - Bar and entry details for Saturday

Details are now available with regard to Saturday's game against AFC Wimbledon, that is likely to be our last ever first team game at Claremont Road. It should be pointed out that it is not the last game to be played at Claremont Road as there are a number of reserve games due to be played over the next three weeks.

As we are expecting a much bigger crowd we are asking that supporters arrive early for the game. Also, to help speed up the entry process, it would be helpful if supporters could have the correct money available.

Three turnstiles will be open at the clubhouse end of the ground, with one further turnstile open at the Brent Cross end. The turnstiles will open at approximately 1.30pm.

Normal admission prices will apply of £8.00 for adults and £3.00 for concessions for all parts of the ground including the stand. Concessionary tickets are available for senior citizens and under 16's. They are also available to the unemployed, disabled and students on production of relevant identification or documentation. Tickets are not being sold in advance as a sell out is not anticipated. Supporters of both teams are advised that once they have entered the ground, they will not be able to go out and come back in again.

Two separate bars will be open in the clubhouse. The normal bar will be open for Hendon supporters, and one of the suites at the back of the clubhouse will be open for AFC Wimbledon supporters. If you are unsure where to go, please ask one of the stewards. The bars will be closed during the game but will reopen after the final whistle. As at all first team home games at Claremont Road, no alcohol will be allowed inside the ground.

The tea bar will be open as normal, and the club shop will be open before the game and at half time.

If you have any problems during the game, please speak to one of the stewards who will be in all areas of the ground. There is also expected to be a police presence at the game.

The club would like to thank everyone in advance for their co-operation on Saturday afternoon.

Posted at 12:30

Monday 17 April - Leyton hit for four

Hendon bounced back from the weekend disappointment with a much more convincing performance that resulted in a 4-0 win over a poor Leyton side this afternoon. A goalless first half saw the Greens have a goal from Dave Hunt disallowed for offside but their efforts were rewarded early in the second half when Jeff Campbell fired a loose ball into the roof of the net. Shortly before the hour mark Hunt doubled the lead and late strikes from Andy Cook and Ross Pickett completed the Greens biggest league win since December 2003 when they won by the same scoreline at St Albans City.

Posted at 23:45

Monday 17 April - Parker injury update

It was confirmed over the weekend that James Parker's season has come to a premature end following his injury at Bromley on Saturday. James, who has been one of the most consistent players this season, has suffered severe ligament damage and may not be ready in time for the start of next season. We wish James all the best for a speedy recovery and hope its not too long before he's wearing the Green & White shirt again.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 15 April - Goal feast for youngsters

Hendon A got back to winning ways with a demolition of Hanworth Villa's second string at Clitterhouse Playing Fields on Saturday. Amazingly, Hendon had seven different scorers as they rattled in eight goals. Chad Griffiths got things started after six minutes and this was followed by a goal from Narcisse Nono after 19 minutes. In the 27th minute, Ronald Adjekwei made it 3-0 and that is the way it stayed until half-time after. After the break, man of the match Conor Carroll scored a superb fourth goal before Hanworth Villa pulled a goal back. Jess Reynolds got his first goal for Hendon after 72 minutes followed, five minutes later, by Hanworth's second. There was still time for Francois Gabbidon and Franklyn Morris to make it 7-2 before Gabbidon got his second in the dying moments. "We did well today," said happy manager Mark Crawford. "We created lots of chances and took most of them."

Posted at 19:30

Saturday 15 April - Hendon have it all to do

Hendon have a real fight on their hands to maintain their Premier status after losing 3-1 at Bromley this afternoon. With Northwood winning 3-1 against Cheshunt, Hendon currently occupy that all important 10th relegation spot. At half time however, things had looked much brighter after Ross Pickett had put the Greens in the lead with a close range finish in the 37th minute, but Bromley pulled it back two minutes after the restart through Adrian Stone. Hendon's job was made much harder in the 62nd minute when James Parker was carried off to hospital with a nasty looking ankle injury, and as the Greens struggled to reorganise Bromley scored two goals in the 70th and 73rd minutes to win the game courtesy of Nic McDonnell and Simon Mitchell.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 15 April - Volunteers needed next week

Volunteers are still required to help with matchday duties for next week's game against AFC Wimbledon. As well as the usual turnstile, programme and raffle ticket duties, the supporters association would be interested in hearing from anyone who may be interested in working in the snack bar so that the regular staff have a chance to see the game. If you or anyone you know, maybe wives or partners, would be interested in helping, please speak to someone in the club shop during Monday afternoon's game.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 15 April - Football memorabilia auction

A number of professional clubs have kindly donated items of football memorabilia to our supporters trust. Seven items are currently up for auction on eBay, including a signed Crystal Palace shirt, signed Everton team photo and signed Blackburn team photo. The trust are also looking to sell items that supporters no longer require that would otherwise be thrown out, particularly old Hendon programmes, books, DVDs, CDs and videos. If you have any items, please let the trust working group know.

Posted at 09:45

Wednesday 12 April - Supporters Trust Update

As supporters will be well aware, the trust working group have been working very hard over the past few months. A full update of all the news from the trust, including fundraising, membership and much more, can be found by clicking the link below.

Posted at 18:00

Tuesday 11 April - Wrestling night a success

The Wrestling night held on Saturday evening in aid of the Supporters Trust was a resounding success. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening and all who attended had a great time. Even better was the news that £1847.28 was raised for the trust. The trust are very grateful to Steve Lytton for all his hard work in organising the night, the wrestlers for making the effort to take part, Braintree chairman Lee Harding for his help in producing the posters and tickets and of course all the other supporters and club staff who helped out on the night. The next major fundraising event is a Race Night which will take place in the Banqueting Suite on Saturday 27th May. More details will follow soon, but please put the date in your diary for what promises to be another entertaining evening.

Posted at 18:45

Monday 10 April - Reserves win despite King injury

The reserves won their third game in a row beating Harrow Borough 5-2 this evening at Claremont Road. Another strong side was fielded, including the returning Jimmy Froud and René Street along with trialist Andrew Julius, a defender previously with Redbridge. The Greens took an early lead through the returning René Street and it was soon doubled by Danny Edwards. There was bad news for the Greens midway through the half Dave King picked up a back injury and he was replaced in goal by defender Ricky Pattenden. Harrow took advantage and went on to pull the game back level by half time. Blaise O'Brien restored the lead four minutes into the second half with a delicate chip, Danny Edwards scored his second of the night on the hour mark, and Jimmy Froud completed the scoring three minutes later with a fine lob. Both O'Brien's and Froud's goals were set up by 25 yard headers out of midfield by Lee O'Leary.

Team : King (Pattenden 20), Julius, Murphy, Parker, Street, Leach, Busby, O'Leary (Lopes 64), Edwards, O'Brien (Froud 61), Ake.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 10 April - Len Hatwell funeral arrangements

We now have the arrangements for Len Hatwell's funeral. The funeral will take place on Thursday 13th April at 1.45pm at Surrey and Sussex Crematorium, Balcombe Road, Crawley, West Sussex. Floral tributes should be sent to Freeman Brothers, 9 North Parade, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 2BP to arrive no later than 11am on Thursday.

Posted at 13:00

Monday 10 April - Details on the new faces

With apologies for not bringing this to you earlier, we can now give a bit of background on the most recent new faces in the first team, both of whom signed before deadline day at the end of March. Joining us before the deadline from Hillingdon Borough is right sided player Jamie Busby and from Windsor & Eton is striker Sofiane Mehdi. We welcome both players to the club and hope that they are an important part of our future.

Posted at 12:00

Monday 10 April - Youth team round up

The under 18s slipped to defeat at the weekend losing 1-0 to North Greenford United Social Reserves, but it was better news for the under 15s who won their final league game of the season 6-2 at St Josephs B. The goalscorers were Matthew Hornblow, Will Mabbutt, Mike Baende, Akeem Nicol and Emmanuel Ofosu, along with an own goal. The under 13s were not in action as their opponents Ruislip Town A were unable to field a side. It is likely that the points will be awarded to the Greens.

Meanwhile last Sunday it was the under 15s who had a game awarded after Belmont United pulled out of the Supplementary Cup. This means that the under 15s have qualified for the quarter finals, although the opponents are not yet known. The under 13s beat Yeading HEW 3-1 in their Supplementary Cup last week, the goals coming thanks to a brace from Nassir Elmi and a header from Tony Teegan. They are as yet unsure whether they have qualified for the knockout stages as it depends on the result of the game between LNER and Yeading.

Posted at 09:45

Saturday 08 April - Greens and Clarets fail to score

Hendon and Chelmsford City played out a goalless draw this afternoon at a sunny Claremont Road. In a game where both defences were on top for much of the game there was very little in the way of goalmouth action. The nearest anyone came to scoring was midway through the first half when a Chelmsford player fired a sweet shot firmly against the post.

Posted at 18:45

Wednesday 05 April - Young greens win divisional cup again

Mark Crawford's team repeated their feat of last season by winning their divisional cup, this time the Cherry Red Records Middlesex County League Senior Reserve Division Cup in which they play as Hendon "A". Despite going behind to a 3rd minute strike from Lee Osmond, the Greens went on to put in a very hard working performance, running their hearts out for ninety minutes. They controlled a large percentage of the game and deservedly equalised on the half hour mark when Mathew Peart fired home a fierce drive from 35 yards. Just ten minutes later Adilson Lopes gave the Greens the lead when he headed a loose ball across just inside the far post from six yards.

In the first twenty minutes of the second half Hendon had a number of chances to extend the lead but were unable to find the target. However, in the 69th minute Lopes picked up the ball on the halfway line, beat two challenges and sidefooted the ball home from 20 yards. Just four minutes later Otis Kingsley latched onto a loose ball in the penalty area and slammed the ball into the net. From there on the Greens held on comfortably to secure their second trophy in consecutive seasons.

"We worked really hard tonight," said an ecstatic Mark Crawford, "and it was a real team performance. I can't single any individual out tonight. I am absolutely delighted."

Team : Siki Kambila, Chad Griffiths, Narcisse Nono (Apacha Iyala 76), Conor Carroll, Francois Gabbidon, Mathew Peart, Adilson Lopes, Otis Kingsley, Stephan Chambers-Bignall (Admir Meha 83), Ronald Adjekwei, Franklyn Morris (Marco Tacbajumi 71). Unused subs : Chris Cleary, Ricardo Braganza.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 05 April - Sponsor Phil Rogers' marathon attempt

Supporters Trust and Working Group member Phil Rogers is running the London Marathon for the second year running, and aiming to raise money for the Trust in doing so. Last year, well over £2000 was raised which was split between the football club and Cancer Research UK, and with the assistance of fellow members it is hoped that a similar amount can be raised this year. This year, all sponsorship money raised is to be split 50/50 between the Trust and Cancer Research UK.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 04 April - Len Hatwell

It is with much sadness that the club today learnt of the death of Len Hatwell after a long illness. Len had been a vice-president of the club for a long time, and was very well respected around the club and local community. Everyone at the club would like to send their condolences to Eve and all their family.

Posted at 14:30

Monday 03 April - Three more points for reserves

The reserves picked up another three points tonight as a squad containing seven of the players who took part at Maldon on Saturday ran out 2-0 winners at home against Windsor & Eton. The best chance of a goalless first half fell to Jamie Busby who saw his 35th minute shot well saved by the Windsor keeper. The Greens took control in the second half and took the lead when Andy Cook set up Blaise O'Brien in the 69th minute. The second goal came five minutes from the end when Sofiane Mehdi headed the ball home after Danny Edwards had hit the bar.

Team : King, Julius, Murphy, Pattenden, Parker, J.Burgess, Busby, Hunt (Mapes 55), Cook (Edwards 70), O'Brien, Okoro (Mehdi 77).

Posted at 23:00

Saturday 01 April - Who goes down? - an update

The good news for Hendon fans tonight is that if the season finished today, the Greens would not be relegated. Looking at the other two clubs currently 19th in the Unibond and Southern Leagues, Lincoln United have 36 points from 36 games, whilst Northwood have 35 points from 37 games. This means that Northwood have the same points per game record as Hendon. However, goal difference will come into play if necessary, and as the Greens have a difference of -19 and Northwood have a difference of -32, Northwood are the club with the worst playing record at the time of writing.

Posted at 19:30

Saturday 01 April - All square at Maldon

Hendon picked up another point in their battle to avoid the drop as they came back twice to draw 2-2 at Maldon Town this afternoon. However, the Greens were left rueing their defending from set pieces as both Maldon goals came from them. Maldon took the lead in the 7th minute when Hendon failed to defend a corner and allowed a free header and that is how it stayed until half time. The Greens equalised in the 69th minute when Blaise O'Brien scored from the spot, but in the 83rd minute Maldon regained the lead after a free header across goal from a free kick. The second equaliser was scored just a minute later by Ross Pickett who bundled the ball home from close range.

Posted at 19:15

Saturday 01 April - Sponsored walk update

The Supporters Trust have confirmed that the money raised so far is rapidly approaching £2000 but there are still some walkers who have not yet handed their money in. Please can they bring it to next Saturday's home game against Chelmsford City so that the final total can be calculated.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 01 April - London Final admissiond details

The London FA have confirmed the kick off and admission details for our forthcoming Senior Cup Final against Fisher Athletic at Tooting & Mitcham's ground on Tuesday 25th April. Admission will be £5.00 adults and £1.00 concessions. The admission price for adults includes a programme, but it is unclear whether the concessionary price includes a programme as well. The game will kick off at Imperial Fields at 7.30pm and will go to extra time and penalties if necessary.

Posted at 09:00