News - April 2005

Saturday 30 April - Frendo gets players award

John Frendo was this evening named as the player's player of the season at a get together in the clubhouse. Club captain René Street was runner up in the vote. The chairman's award went to Gary McCann and Andy Pape in recognition of their efforts over the past three months to turn around the club's fortunes, while Gary himself awarded the clubman of the year award to groundsman and kitman Ted Peck as a thank you for all the hard work he puts in behind the scenes. The only award left outstanding is the Greensnet player of the year which will be announced on this website next weekend and awarded at the first game of next season.

Posted at 22:00

Saturday 30 April - New reserve team mangers appointed

Gary McCann this evening announced that he has appointed the new reserve team managers to replace the recently departed Eugene Spellman and Gary Woodcraft. Taking over will be current under 18 manager Mark Crawford together with current under 12 manager John Creith. Both are expected to continue in their current roles as well. We wish Mark and John all the best in their new appointments.

Posted at 21:45

Saturday 30 April - Ten man Hendon earn point

Hendon finished the season with a well earned point at runners up Billericay Town despite going a man down when Danny Julienne was sent off in the 67th minute. Billericay took the lead in the 10th minute through Andy Oxby, and were in control for much of the first half. At half time, the Greens made a double substitution which paid off just five minutes after the restart when sub John Frendo shot at goal from an acute angle, and was delighted to see home keeper Paul Gothard fumble the ball into the net. Hendon were determined to hang on to the point despite pressure from Billericay, and even when Julienne was dismissed for his second bookable offence the midfield and defence held firm to earn the point, much to the delight of the noisy travelling support.

Posted at 18:45

Thursday 28 April - Final game on Saturday

The end of a rollercoaster season comes to an end on Saturday when we travel to Billericay Town for our final league game. Billericay's season will continue into next week as they will be playing in the play-offs and are needing a point to make certain of 2nd place, and home advantage in their semi-final, and also the final should they make it. The Greens meanwhile also need a point to secure a top half finish, and a win could move them up to 10th place in the table. The game kicks off at 3pm at New Lodge and we hope to see plenty of support there. After the game, the team will be heading straight back to Claremont Road, and they invite all supporters to join them for end of season drinks and for the handing out of the players own awards.

Posted at 18:00

Tuesday 26 April - Reserve managers move on

Gary McCann announced this morning that our joint reserve team managers Gary Woodcraft and Eugene Spellman had left the club to take up the same position at Windsor & Eton with immediate effect. The club would like to publically thank Gary & Eugene for their efforts over the past year and wish them all the best for the future.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 25 April - Under 21s secure third spot

The under 12s completed their season by clinching third spot thanks to a 4-0 win against Kodak. Jerrel Best scored the opening goal after 18 minutes before Damilola Thomas doubled the lead shortly before half time. Max Nqai scored the third, while Dean Rosenthal finished the scoring to round off a good team performance.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 25 April - Under 15s lose out in semis

The under 15s run in the supplementary cup came to an end yesterday afternoon as they lost their semi-final 5-0 to Kensington Dragons. The Greens had chances to take the lead, but went behind shortly before half-time. As they tired however, Kensington took control of the game to score a further four goals.

Posted at 09:55

Sunday 24 April - Charity Match at Northwood

Northwood are staging a charity match in aid of Macmillan Cancer Research at Chestnut Avenue on Saturday 14th May. Kick off will be at 2pm. The teams will be an All-Star Professional XI including former Hendon players Jermaine Darlington and Junior Lewis, along with Les Ferdinand, Frank Sinclair, Ade Akinbiyi and Justin Edinburgh, against a Non League Dream Team, which expected to include our own Richard McDonagh, and a rare appearance back between the sticks by Gary McCann. Tickets are available now priced at £10.00 for adults and £5.00 for under 16's. Cheques should be made payable to Macmillan Cancer Research and sent, along with a large stamped addressed envelope to Alan Evans, 46 Webster Gardens, Ealing, London, W5 5ND.

Posted at 14:00

Sunday 24 April - Where will we be playing next season?

Once again we find ourselves reaching the end of the season still not knowing for sure whether or not we will kick off next season at Claremont Road or Copthall. What is for certain is that both the Arbiter Group and Barnet Council are fully committeed to our move to the Copthall Stadium. In the meantime we fully expect to be launching the new season with the friendly against Bishop Auckland at Claremont Road.

Posted at 13:45

Saturday 23 April - Under 18s draw with Haringey

Our under 18 side played against Haringey Borough at Claremont Road this evening and came away with a 1-1 draw. Bradley Bubb gave the Greens the lead early in the second half, but Haringey equalised late on in the game to earn a deserved point. The youngsters would like to thank those supporters who were able to stay to watch the game and support them.

Posted at 20:00

Saturday 23 April - Street is supporters favourite

As today saw the final home game of the season, a number of the annual awards were given out. Winning the Supporters Player of the Year award was captain René Street, who has led the team by example since taking over the captaincy in mid-season. Dave King was 2nd and John Frendo 3rd in the voting. The Lambs Player of the Year was goalkeeper Dave King

Also presented today were the supporter of the year awards. The main award went to Ian Butler, who has been up on the gantry in all weathers videoing all the first team games so that supporters can see the goals online and purchase videos and DVD's of their favourite games. The Lambs award went to Nick McMullen who has helped around the ground throughout the season in all weathers.

The Supporters Association also made a special award to Gary McCann, Andy Pape and Gary Anderson to thank them for their efforts since they took over at the beginning of February.

Posted at 19:45

Saturday 23 April - Greens lose in flat performance

Hendon went down 2-1 in their final home game of the season, losing to a hardworking Salisbury City side, despite taking the lead. It took only 5 minutes for the Greens to find the net from a set piece as Street beat goalkeeper Kevin Sawyer to head the ball home. Sawyer, having called for the ball should probably have done better, but reedemed himself within a few minutes by clawing out a defensive header that was heading for the top corner. After being outplayed for 15 minutes, Salisbury took the initiative and in turn comprehensively outplayed the Dons for the remainder of the game, netting through Wayne Turk shortly before half time, and a Matthew Jones header in the second.

Posted at 19:30

Saturday 23 April - FA Amateur Cup Final 50th Anniversary

On Saturday 16th April 1955 the nations best amateur sides attracted the last 100,000 crowd ever to witness an Amateur Cup Final at Wembley. It was Bishop Auckland's 10th appearance in the Final, Hendon's 1st. Bishop Auckland ran out 2-0 winnters. 50 years later the two sides will meet up again in this unique game. Come along and see a bit of history recreated. The game will take place at Claremont Road on Saturday 16th July 2005, kicking off at 3.00pm. Admission prices will be confirmed nearer the time.

Two other pre-season friendlies have been arranged so far. On Saturday 6th August we will travel to Chesham United, and on Saturday 13th August we travel to South West London to play Chertsey Town. Both games will kick off at 3.00pm. Further friendlies are being arranged and will be announced as soon as they are confirmed.

Posted at 19:00

Friday 22 April - Under 15s reach semi final

The under 15s progressed to the semi final stage of the Supplementary Cup last night as they beat Larkspur Rovers B 4-2 in a penalty shoot out following a 1-1 draw. This means that they will now be in action on Sunday afternoon at Claremont Road when they entertain Kensington Dragons. The game will follow the under 12s game at 1.00pm and like the younger age group, the boys would be delighted to have as much support as possible at the game.

Posted at 14:00

Friday 22 April - It's a feat of football this weekend

There is a feast of football this weekend at Claremont Road. It all starts tomorrow afternoon at 3pm when the first team entertain Salisbury City in their final home league game of the season. The Greens will be looking to avenge the controversial defeat at Salisbury back in December. As it is St Georges Day tomorrow, it has been suggested that people dress with an England theme of red & white, so we look forward to seeing as many people as possible wearing those colours and bringing along their St Georges flags etc.

Following the game will be the annual end of season presentations, as well as the presentation of the cup to the under 18s. At 7pm the under 18s themselves will be in action as they entertain Haringey Borough in their penultimate league game of the season. There is no admission charge for the game, and all supporters are invited to stay for a few drinks in the bar and then watch our talented under 18 side in action.

The action continues on Sunday morning at 11am when the under 12s entertain Kodak in their final game of the season. A win for the under 12s would secure third place in the table. Once again there is no admission charge for the game, and the youngsters would be delighted to see as many supporters there as possible.

Posted at 13:45

Thursday 21 April - Management team to continue next season

Following a meeting last night between the club directors and the first team management, the club are delighted to announce that Gary McCann, Andy Pape and Gary Anderson will be continuing in their current positions next season to continue the good work they have done so far since they took over in February.

Posted at 14:00

Wednesday 20 April - Trophy presentations on Saturday

Hendon Under-18s will be re-presented with the Middlesex League Under-20s Division League Cup on Saturday evening, following the first team game against Salisbury City. It will give the fans who didn't get a chance to go to Yeading two weeks ago not only to see the trophy but also to watch the youngsters play because they have a League match against Haringey Borough. The game will be staged at Claremont Road, with a kick-off time of 7.00 pm. There will be no admission charge for the under 18's game.

Hendon FC Supporters Association will also be presenting their annual Player of the Year award. This will be made soon after the conclusion of the Ryman League Premier Division fixture against Salisbury City. HFCSA members, who have not already done so, have until half-time on Saturday to vote for their favourite player.

Posted at 05:45

Tuesday 19 April - Under 15s in action on Thursday

The under 15's will travel to Larkspur Rovers B on Thursday evening in their Supplementary Cup play off. The winners will entertain Kensington Dragons at home on Sunday afternoon in the semi finals.

Posted at 14:00

Tuesday 19 April - A message for season ticket holders

As season ticket holders are aware, only 20 vouchers were issued for league games this season, in the hope that this Saturday's game would be the last at Claremont Road. However as the club are unable to confirm whether this is the case, season ticket holders will be given free entry to the game on production of Voucher A from their season ticket book on Saturday afternoon.

Posted at 13:45

Monday 18 April - Great weekend for youth teams

It was a great weekend for our youth teams, with all three in action winning their games. The under 18's won 4-0 at Bridge Rovers with a brace of goals from Stephan Chambers-Bignall and strikes from Cudel Collins and Eddie Mohammed, while the under 12's returned to winning ways with a 2-1 win at Bessingby Park Rangers, Damilola Thomas and Dean Rosenthal scoring the goals. Finally, the under 15's returned to action after a six week break under the leadership of new managers Steve and Phil Neville and won 3-0 against LNER St Georges in the Supplementary Cup. This means that they will be involved in a play off game against Larkspur Rovers B sometime this week to play for a place in the semi finals.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 18 April - End of season for reserves

Reserve team joint manager Eugene Spellman has confirmed that tonight's training will be the last this season for our reserve team. The team finished on a high note with the win last week, and have blooded a number of youngsters in the hope that they will be involved in first team action in the future. Any reserve team players, or any new players who are interested in joining should contact the club during the summer to find out about pre-season training.

Posted at 13:30

Sunday 17 April - London Marathon completed

Phil Rogers completed the London Marathon today and crossed the finish line in a time of 3 hours, 27 minutes and 10 seconds. This was a finishing position of 3860 overall and 3501 in the mens race. Obviously, Phil is now going to be keen to get his sponsor money in as soon as possible. The current total he expects to raise is approximately £1900 pounds overall. As there are only two more games left this season, please see Phil to pass over your money, or call into the club shop. If you are unable to get to a game, please send a cheque made payable to Philip Rogers and post it to him care of the club office.

Meanwhile, fellow supporter Dave Garner finished in a time of 5 hours, 22 minutes and 30 seconds, while club captain René Street finished in a time of 4 hours, 37 minutes and 45 seconds. Congratulations to all three, and to anyone else who may be reading this that ran the marathon today.

Posted at 15:00

Saturday 16 April - It's Saturday, so it must be 0-0

Hendon came away from Worthing with a goalless draw this afternoon, the third consecutive Saturday that the Greens have drawn 0-0. Hendon did have chances to score, one of the best falling to Marvyn Watson who carried the ball from one end of the pitch to the other, only to see his shot fly just over the bar. In the second half the Greens had a clear penalty shout turned down when John Frendo was tripped inside the area while Watson, Shayne Demetrious and Ross Pickett all came close to scoring. Worthing also had their chances but found Dave King in fine form.

Posted at 19:30

Saturday 16 April - Reserves win final game

The reserves finished on a high as a side containing four of the under 18's cup winning line up beat Slough Town 1-0. The goal came in the final minute courtesy of Bradley Bubb. Outstanding for the Greens were Connor Carroll, Chad Griffiths, Matthew Peart and Bubb.

Posted at 19:15

Saturday 16 April - Martin Herring

A fortnight ago we were shocked and saddened to learn that former Hendon Youth team manager Martin Herring had died. Martin, who collapsed suddenly, was just 48 years old. He joined us ten years ago and he was given charge of our newly formed under 15 team. The following season, as under 16's, Martin's side lost just once in the league and finished as runners-up. After that, Martin, a Coventry City fan, moved to the Midlands. To his family and his many friends, and on behalf of everyone at Hendon and the former youngsters who he coached here, we offer our most sincere condolences.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 11 April - Disapponting weekend for youth

It was a disappointing weekend for both the under 18's and under 12's as both slipped to defeats. The under 18's lost 2-1 to Young Stars, Eddie Mohammed scoring the goal, while the under 12's saw their hopes of finishing second dashed as they slipped to a very disappointing 3-2 defeat at Old Isleworthians B, Jerrel Best scoring the goals for the Greens. More details and updated league tables can be found on the youth team pages.

Posted at 14:00

Saturday 09 April - It's another goalless draw

For a second consecutive Saturday it was goalless at Claremont Road as Hendon and Slough Town met for the second time in three days. The Greens had the best of the first half but were unable to convert any chances, the best falling to Ross Pickett and John Frendo, while Slough had the best of the second half but were also unable to score. Hendon's best second half chance fell to 17 year old debutant Bradley Bubb who within two minutes of entering the fray saw his shot deflected just wide of the top corner.

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 09 April - 150 club update

The February and March draws were made last week for the 150 club and the winners are as follows. The £50 prize for February goes to number 60, and the £25 prize goes to number 9. The £50 prize for March goes to number 2, and the £25 prize goes to number 145. The April draw which will be made in a few weeks time will be for a single prize of £150.

Posted at 17:30

Saturday 09 April - 100 up for King

Congratulations are due to Dave King who made his 100th first team appearance for Hendon on Thursday evening at Slough Town. Dave joined us at the beginning of last season from Hastings United and has remained first choice between the sticks ever since, missing just 9 games over the two seasons he has been with us. In the 100 games played so far he has kept 33 clean sheets, 14 of those this season.

Posted at 17:00

Thursday 07 April - Hendon commit daylight robbery

Hendon could quite easily be accused of daylight robbery as they pinched a 3-1 victory from the jaws of defeat at Slough Town tonight. After a goalless first half in which Slough gradually took control, it was no great surprise when they took the lead through Matt Seedel in the 48th minute. The Rebels looked far more likely to score until shortly after the Greens made a double substitution replacing Andy Sherry and Richard McDonagh with James Burgess and Shayne Demetrious. In the 69th minute Ross Pickett scored the equaliser somehow firing the ball through a number of defenders from an acute angle. In the 85th minute John Frendo gave Hendon the lead when he fired home following a Burgess free kick and in the final minute of normal time, Pickett bundled the ball home from close range to complete the scoring and confirm the three points that had been heading to Slough.

Posted at 23:00

Thursday 07 April - Reserves lose at Harrow

The reserves were in action last night and lost 3-0 at Harrow Borough. 2-0 down at half time, they put in a much improved performance in the second half and were unfortunate to concede a third goal. Players who shone were Chad Griffiths, Matthew Peart, Bradley Bubb and Kevin Williams.

Team : Derek Lewis, Chad Griffiths, Matthew Peart, Richard Butler, Anthony Watkins, Danny Blanchett, Kevin Williams, Ricardo Figuera, Bradley Bubb, Ozzie Zort, Luke Craig. Subs all used : Chad Edwards, Conor Carroll, Daniel Cardoza.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 06 April - Limited coach space for Worthing

Twenty seats have been made available for supporters on the team coach going to Worthing on 16th April. The seats cost £5.00 and are available to supporters who call into the club shop this coming Saturday. No bookings will be taken after Saturday's game against Slough. The seats are available on a strict first come, first served basis, and the full cost must be paid this Saturday.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 04 April - Jerrell is the best for under 12s

The under-12s took a huge stride towards claiming a top-two finish in the Harrow Youth League Division Two when they came from behind to snatch a stunning victory over FC Roundwood on Sunday morning. Hendon started slowly - maybe a reaction to their celebration of the senior youth team's victory the previous evening - but managed to reach half-time all-square. It took only a couple of minutes of the second half for Roundwood to take the lead, but Hendon were in determined mood and they got back on level terms after 42 minutes. A goalbound shot was blocked on the line by a Roundwood defender and although no red card was produced, a penalty was awarded and Damilola THOMAS made no mistake from 12 yards. It seemed as if the game was going to end in a draw until, two minutes into stoppage time, Jerrel BEST ran forward, looked up and drove a powerful shot into the roof of the net for Hendon's winner. Manager John Creith said, "I am delighted with the win; it gives us a chance of taking second place in the table. We had a number of players away, including the goalkeeper, so Fraser FOWLE had to take over between the posts and he did very well. But my man of the match was Jerrel BEST, not only did he play well up front - he was quick and strong - but he got the winning goal too."

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 02 April - Kambila is hero in penalty win

Hendon under 18s have won the first silverware this season for the club as they beat Turkish Community 5-3 in a penalty shoot out after a 2-2 draw. The hero was goalkeeper Siki Kambila who not only saved the second penalty taken by Turkish Community but also stepped up to score the crucial winning penalty. Bradley Bubb, Matthew Peart, Eddie Mohammed and Otis Kingsley had scored the previous four.

The game itself was outstanding with both teams fully committed throughout the 120 minutes. Bubb hit the woodwork during the first half, but it was Turkish Community who took the lead in the 59th minute when they scored direct from a free kick. However, the young Greens refused to give up and in the 78th minute they equalised when Stephan Chambers-Bignall slotted home from a rebound after the keeper had parried Bubb's initial shot. Bubb himself put the Greens in the lead in the 83rd minute but with just two minutes left on the clock, the Hendon defence fell asleep from a free kick which was fired home from close range. Both teams had chances to win the game in extra time but both goalkeepers were equal to the task. And so the game moved into penalties in which Kambila was to become the hero.

Manager Mark Crawford was thoroughly delighted with the win and named Eddie Mohammed as his man of the match with Chad Griffiths a close second. First team manager Gary McCann was also enthusing about the performance and was very impressed with what he saw.

Team : Siki Kambila, Chad Griffths, Jackson Ellis, Conor Carroll, Francois Gabbidon, Mathew Peart, Narcisse Nono (Jake Narcisse-Brennan 61), Otis Kingley, Stephan Chambers-Bignall (Cudel Collins 79), Bradley Bubb, Eddie Mohammed. Unused subs : Admir Meha, James Dabengwa.

Posted at 23:00

Saturday 02 April - Greens in goalless draw with Angels

Hendon and Tonbridge Angels fought out a goalless draw at Claremont Road this afternoon. Despite both sides having plenty of possession, the only first half chances fell to Hendon players, the best of which was headed over the bar by Ross Pickett. It was much the same story in the second half, with Hendon having a couple of efforts cleared off the line, while Tonbridge player/manager Tony Dolby had a free kick well saved by Dave King.

Posted at 18:30