News - April 2001

Monday 30 April - Important news about Aldershot game

Hendon have reached an agreement with Aldershot Town to play Friday's home game at Aldershot. However, this is subject to final approval by the Ryman League who will make a decision on Wednesday. The reason for this is that Aldershot can still finish in third place, although this may change depending on results tomorrow night. Further updates will go online as soon as we hear more.

Posted at 14:00

Sunday 29 April - Aldershot match postponed

This afternoon's match against Aldershot Town has been postponed following the heavy overnight rain. The new date for the game is Friday 4th May with a kick off of 7.45pm, meaning that Hendon now face 5 games in 5 days to complete the season, presuming there are no further postponments.

Posted at 11:30

Saturday 28 April - Hendon win lively local derby

Hendon comfortably beat Enfield 3-0 this afternoon with three second half goals from Paul Adolphe, Jason Soloman and Bontcho Guentchev to complete the first double over our opponents for many years. Enfield were reduced to 10 men midway during the first half when Grant Cooper was sent off for swearing at the referee, and they never recovered against a Hendon side who were determined to win.

Posted at 18:00

Thursday 26 April - Plucky Hendon beaten by 50 yard strike

On a pitch that was marginally worse than yesterday, although without the standing water, Hendon put up one of their better performances despite going down 2-0 to Billericay Town. Dominic Gentle put the visitors in front after just 3 minutes, and the second goal was scored by substitute Joe Baker, who hit a 50 yard drive over Gary McCann who was caught off his line.

Posted at 22:30

Wednesday 25 April - Hendon win in the mud

On a barely playable pitch with standing water in places, Hendon had a comfortable 4-0 win over already relegated Dulwich Hamlet. Hendon took the lead after just 21 seconds through David Adekola, before Bontcho Guentchev doubled the lead after 35 minutes. A goal from Dale Binns and another from Adekola three minutes either side of the hour mark confirmed the result for Hendon who are now mathematically safe from relegation.

Posted at 22:30

Monday 23 April - Hendon lose again

Hendon were beaten this evening at Croydon, going down 2-0. A 36th minute super strike from Chris Dickson gave the hosts the lead, before Graham Harper doubled the lead midway through the second half.

Posted at 23:00

Saturday 21 April - Hendon go down to rampant Basingstoke

Hendon were soundly beaten today by Basingstoke Town, who went in at half-time 5-0 ahead. Sean Gorman scored a first half hat-trick, while Tim Sills chipped in with two goals. Hendon suffered from having to field Richard Wilmot in goal, who is carrying a groin strain, and a general makeshift lineup.

Posted at 19:00

Thursday 19 April - Early goal enough for win

A goal after just 94 seconds by Bontcho Guentchev was enough to give Hendon all three points tonight against a battling Carshalton side who lacked the necessary cutting edge up front. Hendon made 8 changes to the starting line up, including Pat Sappleton and substitute David Boateng who made their league debuts. The match was also notable as it marked the 200th appearance for Jon Daly. Carshalton had much of the play, although Hendon possibly had the better chances, only to find goalkeeper Paul Borg in fine form.

Posted at 22:30

Wednesday 18 April - Saints beat Greens

A 14th minute Danny Davis goal was enough to give St Albans City all three points at the LOOT Stadium tonight. Hendon saw the return of Simon Clarke, Jon Daly, Chris Sparks and Davis Haule to the starting line up, but never really got going. Paul Adolphe and Dale Binns both grafted hard, but very few chances were conceded.

Posted at 22:30

Tuesday 17 April - Watson reaches 100

Hendon midfielder/wing-back Marvyn Watson, who recently signed a new contract, has another reason to celebrate. On Easter Monday, the 23-year-old made his 100th appearance for the first team since making his debut during the 1998-99 season. He was spotted by former reserve team manager Cecil Collins playing for Combined Counties League side Bedfont. After a number of excellent performance in the second team he earned promotion. While he has not always been a first-choice player, his form in the past 2 months drew praise from manager Frank Murphy, who said, "Marvyn has been a revelation. He has been playing out of his skin."

Posted at 10:00

Monday 16 April - Hendon do double over Hampton

In today's lunchtime kick off, Hendon beat Hampton & Richmond Borough 2-0 with another decent second half performance. Hampton had the better of the second half, but found the Hendon defence unforgiving, and Richard Wilmot in fine form. Marvyn Watson celebrated his 100th appearance by making a couple of crucial tackles. Hendon took the lead in the 30th minute when Dale Binns sent in a low free kick which was turned home by Bontcho Guentchev. Hendon turned the screw in the second half and were rewarded when Dale Binns beat the offside trap and slid the ball past Eric Talbot for his 16th goal of the season. The bad news today was that Iain Duncan was stretchered off with a nasty looking knee injury. More news on Iain as soon as we get it.

Posted at 16:30

Monday 16 April - End of season draw

The End of Season Draw will take place after the Enfield game on Saturday 28th April. Please return all sold ticket stubs and monies by next Saturday 21st April to ensure they are included in the draw. There are some really good prizes so please help us to raise much needed funds for Hendon Football Club. More books are available from the Club Shop if you can help.

Posted at 12:00

Monday 16 April - Meet Frank Murphy

Some supporters have requested a meeting with Frank Murphy and he is very happy to do this, but because of all the games that have to be played within the next few weeks, it has been difficult to arrange a date. The meeting, therefore, will be held after a game, rather than bring supporters up on yet another night, on the 28th April following the End of Season Draw, which in itself follows the Enfield game. Please stay after the game, have a drink and meet Frank.

Posted at 11:00

Monday 16 April - Supporters Player of the Year

It's time to think about your choice for Player of the Year. If you are a member of the Supporters Association, you have up to half time at the last home game, currently Harrow Borough on 2nd May, to cast your vote. Ballot papers and polling booth can be found in the club shop.

Posted at 10:45

Monday 16 April - Supporters summer outing

This year's outing is to Margate on Saturday 30th June. If you would like to book some seats on the coach, please call into the shop and speak to Geraldine. A deposit will be required.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 14 April - Gray day for Hendon

Hendon came away from Grays with a 3-2 defeat, and were a goal down after just 37 seconds when Andy Douglas sent a fierce drive into the net. The lead was doubled later in the first half through Billy Manuel, shortly after Ross Pickett and Warren Kelly had both left the pitch with injuries. Davis Haule pulled a goal back early in the second half, before Jon Daly equalised, beating Paul Newell to the ball. However, Andy Douglas struck in the 73rd minute following an error by Daly to complete the win.

Posted at 18:45

Thursday 12 April - Final goalscorer confirmed

It has been confirmed that the fourth goal last night was awarded to David Adekola who managed to get what may well have been a decisive touch onto Iain Duncan's free kick.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 11 April - Hitchin hit by second half rout

Following a largely uneventful first half, which left the teams turning round at 0-0, Hendon found another gear and played some of their best football since the turn of the year as they beat Hitchin Town 4-0. Ross Pickett scored in the 47th minute, and doubled the lead in the 61st minute. Davis Haule added the third in the 72nd minute, while Iain Duncan completed the scoring in the 89th minute with a 30 yard free kick that avoided all the defenders, the goalkeeper and just missed David Adekola. The game was also notable for the cameo appearance by Frank Murphy in the last 5 minutes. Murphy missed a late chance to make it 5-0 as the Hitchin keeper managed to sit on the ball to prevent the former Barnet midfielder his goal.

Posted at 22:30

Wednesday 11 April - Final fixtures arranged

The final outstanding fixtures have been arranged. Carshalton Athletic are the visitors on Thursday, 19th April, Aldershot Town visit on Sunday, 29th April and Harrow Borough visit on Wednesday, 2nd May. The final fixture list can be found on the fixtures & results page.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 10 April - Season will not be extended

The possible extension to the Ryman League season was tonight rejected by the member clubs in an EGM held at Purfleet FC. Hertford Town and Canvey Island proposed a two week extension which was rejected and then the proposal was reduced to one week. This was also rejected by 40 votes to 8 with three clubs not present, so the season will end as planned on 5th May.

It would, subject to more awful weather, be possible to call another EGM to determine an extension, but this requires 21 days notice - ie letter would have to go out this Thursday with the new date for the meeting to be held before the end of the season.

In relation to the question of what would happen if there were still games left over due to bad weather in the first week of May, the rule is the same as always - matches will be rescheduled to be played the next day the pitch is playable, ie Sunday, then Monday, Tuesday etc etc.

The League have agreed to a question from the floor that if a club wishes to play two fixtures in one day it can - leniancy will be applied with regard to 'fielding the strongest side available..."

Games can be switched or played on neutral grounds EXCEPT Promotion and Relegation fixtures which cannot be switched - these can only be played as scheduled or at a neutral venue.

Posted at 22:00

Monday 09 April - Farnborough win again

Farnborough extended their winning run to a massive 16 games with their second 2-0 win over Hendon in 10 days on a very heavy pitch. This time a Gary Crawshaw goal in the 42nd minute from a freekick after a nasty foul by Chris Sparks gave Farnborough the lead, and Lenny Piper struck early in the second half to double the lead. Hendon had plenty of possession but were unable to find a way past the resolute Farnborough defence as the Hampshire sides march to the championship continued unabated.

Posted at 22:30

Monday 09 April - Dulwich game rearranged

Another attempt to play the Dulwich Hamlet game at the LOOT Stadium will be made on Wednesday, April 25th, just 24 hours before we play Billericay Town, and 48 hours after our game at Croydon.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 09 April - Farnborough game is on

Tonight's game against Farnborough will go ahead. The only possibilty of a problem would be if there was a downpour between now and kickoff, and there is no heavy rain forecast. Kickoff tonight is at 7.45pm

Posted at 13:45

Monday 09 April - Lunchtime inspection

There will be a lunchtime inspection to see if we can play tonight's game against Farnborough Town. However, it is not looking hopeful following the overnight downpours.

Posted at 11:15

Saturday 07 April - Carshalton off

Hendon now face the hectic schedule of 16 games in 27 days following the postponement of today's game at home against Carshalton Athletic. Keep checking the website and the Greensline for details of rearranged fixtures as things are now likely to change almost daily. Both the website and the Greensline will be updated as soon as news is available.

Posted at 10:30

Thursday 05 April - Match postponed

Tonight's game has been postponed, leaving the Dons with 16 games to play in 29 days.

Posted at 14:30

Thursday 05 April - Yet another pitch inspection

Tonight's game against Dulwich is in doubt due to the rain over the past couple of hours and there will be a pitch inspection at around 2pm.

Posted at 12:30

Monday 02 April - Hendon swiftly beaten

Hendon were beaten tonight 4-1 by visitors Heybridge Swifts. Ross Pickett put Hendon in front from the penalty spot for his 10th goal of the season, but Terry Warwick equalised soon afterwards. An absolutely superb strike from Glenn Moss from 35 yards which was worthy of any goal of the season competition put Heybridge in front, before further goals from Colin Wall, which appeared to take a wicked deflection off a Hendon defender, and Terry Warwick secured the points. However, this doesn't tell the whole story as Hendon had much of the possession in the second half, but found the Heybridge defence uncompromising and couldn't create any clear cut chances.

The Hendon fans were infuriated by an attempt by Swifts keeper Kingsley Banks to get Ross Pickett sent off for a forearm smash across the face. However the smash was a figment of his imagination, and he was fortunate to get away with just a talking too. Hendon now look towards the game against Dulwich Hamlet on Thursday night to get back to winning ways.

Posted at 22:30

Monday 02 April - Tonights game is on

Hendon begin a run of five consecutive home games tonight as the game against Heybridge Swifts has been given the go ahead following the recent dry spell. Kick off tonight is at 7.30pm.

Posted at 12:00

Monday 02 April - Hitchin game rearranged

The game against Hitchin Town postponed last week has been rearranged for Wednesday 11th April at the LOOT Stadium and will mean that the club play 5 home games in 10 days.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 02 April - Hendon pose little threat to champions

Hendon's record against the Ryman League champions-elect has been quite dreadful in recent seasons. Since beating Chesham United in the opening game of the 1992-93, Hendon have managed just 1 draw (at home to Kingstonian in autumn 1997) in 15 matches against the clubs who have gone on to top the table; indeed they have not managed a goal in the last 3 of these games. If either Farnborough or Gravesend go on to claim the title in 2000, then the run has already been extended to 16, because Hendon went down 1-2 at home to Gravesend and 0-2 at Farnborough (in both cases the return match has yet to be played).

Posted at 09:45

Monday 02 April - No more Mondays

From next season, Hendon will revert to playing their home midweek games on Tuesday nights instead of Monday. The experiment lasted 2 seasons but didn't prove very popular.

Posted at 09:30