News - March 2004

Tuesday 30 March - Greens complete Urchin double

Hendon completed the double over Hornchurch this evening with a 2-0 victory. After an even first 20 minutes or so, Hendon took control of the game and were rewarded in the 35th minute when Steve Butler received the ball with his back to goal. He flicked the ball up, turned and hit it on the volley into the top corner to give the Greens the lead. The second goal came shortly before half time when Dwayne Plummer slid the ball underneath the keeper. The best chance in the second half fell to Eugene Ofori who shot just wide from the corner of the penalty area. Debutant keeper Danny Naisbett had a quiet evening making just a couple of routine saves as Hornchurch struggled to create much in front of goal.

Posted at 22:00

Tuesday 30 March - Cup final badges on sale

There has been a further addition to the range of merchandise available in the club shop. A special badge has been issued for the forthcoming Middlesex Senior Cup final. The badge has the Hendon crest, and the words Hendon FC, Dave Andersons Green & White Army around the outside. They cost £1.50 and can be bought in the shop on Saturday afternoon.

Posted at 14:00

Tuesday 30 March - Dave Garner runs the marathon again

Dave Garner will again be running in the London Marathon this year, but not as his alter ego Monty the Lamb. Rather than ask everyone for sponsorship money this year, Dave has instead asked that you purchase a ticket from him at £5.00, with the winner receiving a whole host of sporting memorabilia, including many signed photographs, signed Hendon shirt etc. All of the proceeds made from the raffle will be divided evenly between the club and a childrens charity. Please see Dave in the club shop and purchase a ticket or two, as we help to raise more money for charity, and of course, for our beloved Hendon Football Club.

Posted at 13:45

Monday 29 March - Greens qualify for Conference Two

With Canvey Island only nine points from clinching the Ryman League crown and thus taking a Conference (One) place, Hendon became the first Isthmian feeder club to confirm a Conference Two place with their draw at home to Aylesbury. The Greens can now not finish lower than 13th, which is the cutoff point for automatic elevation to the new league. This means that the Greens will be playing in a new division for the first time since 1963.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 29 March - Supporters donate more to club

The Supporters Association have had an excellent season so far with their fundraising, and so far have donated a total of £13,500 to the club, an excellent effort. In fact, in the financial year ending March 2004, the Association donated a total of �20,000 to the club. Thanks must go out to the Supporters Association Committee of Mike Hogan, Tony Wood, Sandra Wood, Geraldine Clarke, Derek Furmedge, Dave Garner, Paul Hutton, Stewart Liversidge, John Rice, Bernard Lawrence, Ted Peck and Les Vincent for all their hard work, and obviously thanks to all the supporters who have made purchases throughout the season. Let's hope that we can all keep raising money at a similar rate for the rest of the season, throughout the summer and into the future.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 29 March - Player of the Year voting now open

With their being only 3 more home games this season, it is now time to start thinking about your Player of the Year. Voting slips will be available from the club shop during home games, and only members of the Supporters Association are entitled to a vote. Unusually there are two previous winners of the award in the current squad in the shape of Dale Binns and Steve Butler. It is envisaged that it will be a very close ballot this year, so please make sure that your nominee gets your vote! Voting closes at half time of the last home game of the season.

Posted at 09:45

Monday 29 March - Youth teams update

We apologise that our coverage of the youth teams has been somewhat lacking this season. In an attempt to bring things up to date we shall summarise how the teams have got on. The Under 11's had a late start to the season, but have since enjoyed a very good campaign winning all but 2 of the league games they have played. Of the two they failed to win, one of them was drawn. They have carried their good form into knock-out football and last week reached the semi final of the Supplementary Cup which we are hoping will be played at Claremont Road.

The Under 14's have had a mixed season finishing in 5th place in Division Three. It was a season of great wins followed by disappointing defeats. The Under 15's have an outside chance of finishing runners up in Division Two, while the Under 16's are involved in a four club fight for second place in the Premier Division, but cannot catch St Josephs A who have won the title.

Two teams were in action yesterday morning. The Under 16's had a set back as they lost 3-2 to fellow challengers Brunswick. The goals were scored by David Gansah and Bradley Bubb, younger brother of Byron and cousin of Alvin, both of whom played against us for Aylesbury United on Saturday afternoon. The Under 15's lost 3-2 at Spur Road in the Supplementary Cup, their goals coming from Marcel Byfield and Franklyn Morris. Man of the match for the 15's was goalkeeper Ashley Trodden.

Posted at 09:30

Sunday 28 March - Women cash in

Hendon Women and Girl's Development team scored handsomely this week when they received news that they had been awarded a Lottery Grant from the Awards for All Committee for £4,966. The grant will be used to develop new playing opportunities for women and girls in the local area.

Lou Pantelli, Head of the Women and Girl's Development Team said: "This is a fantastic boost for the club. We have been working tirelessly over the last few months to develop funding opportunities. This award is the first of many initiatives planned which aim to bring success and development opportunities to the club."

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 27 March - Dons held by the Ducks

Hendon were held to a 1-1 draw this afternoon by an Aylesbury United side that belied their position at the foot of the table with a very strong defensive display. Aylesbury took the lead in the 7th minute through Donovan Reed. The equaliser came in the 36th minute when Steve Forbes headed home a freekick from Scott Cousins. Hendon had the bulk of possession in the second half but struggled to create any openings through the strong Aylesbury defence. The closest they came were when Antony Howard saw a shot hit the bar and when a Forbes shot was blocked on the line by Jamie Moss. Aylesbury went away much the happier at the end of the game, but Hendon at least kept their unbeaten run intact.

Posted at 18:30

Wednesday 24 March - Randall scores as reserves win

The reserves beat Gravesend & Northfleet 3-2 this evening in a friendly at Claremont Road. The Greens took the lead in the 15th minute when Martin Randall drove the ball home from 30 yards with the keeper stranded on the edge of his area. John Frendo doubled the lead on the half hour mark with a good finish inside the 18 yard box. Gravesend fought back and pulled a goal back early in the second half, and were back on level terms after 62 minutes. The winner came with 15 minutes to go when Randall pounced on a lose ball to score his second. Other first teamers in action this evening were Dave Hunt, James Burgess, Antony Howard, Jon-Barrie Bates and Pat Gavin.

Posted at 22:30

Saturday 20 March - Greens win in the wind

On a very windy afternoon at Bognor Regis Town, Hendon came away with a 2-1 win. The opening goal came in the 44th minute when Eugene Ofori finished a move with a header. The move had involved Scott Cousins and Dale Binns before Dwayne Plummer delivered a perfect cross into the box. However Plummer turned villain within a minute when he gave away a free kick on the edge of the Hendon area and Michael Birmingham fired the ball home. Hendon had the benefit of the wind in the second half but had to work hard. They were rewarded for their efforts with 3 minutes to go when another well worked move involving Iain Duncan, Cousins and Binns was finished by Ricci Crace, his 10th goal of the season. The result keeps the Greens secure in 2nd place in the table.

Posted at 20:30

Tuesday 16 March - Dons' performance not Swift enough

Hendon continued their unbeaten run with a 0-0 draw at Heybridge Swift's Scrawley Road this evening. The performance from the Greens warrented little more, with only two decent attempts on goal against a team reduced to 10 men in the first half, the home side's goalkeeper James Pullen being dismissed. At the other end there was similarly little action, Dave King being forced into just one save.

Posted at 23:00

Saturday 13 March - Hendon win at the death

Hendon beat Bedford Town 1-0 this afternoon at Claremont Road courtesy of a penalty converted by Scott Cousins a minute into second half stoppage time. The penalty was awarded when the referee ruled that Pat Gavin had been upended in the area by a Bedford defender. The result was a bit harsh on the visitors who had worked hard and defended well. However it was Hendon that had the bulk of possession, and their best chance came midway through the second half when Ricci Crace sent Eugene Ofori clear of the defence, but he saw his lob go just over the bar.

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 11 March - Supporters coach to Bognor

The Supporters Association are hoping to run a coach to Bognor Regis a week on Saturday. If you would like to travel by coach, please call into the club shop on Saturday afternoon to put your name down and pay a deposit, which will be returned if the coach doesn't run.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 09 March - Cup final opponents decided

Our Middlesex Senior Cup final opponents will be Uxbridge, who beat Bedfont 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out after a goalless draw at The Orchard tonight watched by manager Dave Anderson, and reserve team manager John Morris. As mentioned last week, the cup final will take place at Yeading on Easter Monday, 12th April. Kick off will be confirmed for definite in due course but is expected to be 7.30pm as in previous years.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 09 March - Fixture rearrangements

Our two outstanding league games have now been rearranged. Tonight's postponed game at Heybridge Swifts will now take place next Tuesday, 16th March, kicking off at Scraley Road at 7.30pm. The home game against Harrow Borough, originally due to be played on Easter Monday, will now be played on Tuesday, 6th April, kicking off at 7.45pm.

Posted at 20:00

Tuesday 09 March - Heybridge game is OFF

Tonight's league game at Heybridge Swifts has been postponed. Over the weekend a major flood in their dressing rooms rendered the electrics in the area unsafe, and for health and safety reasons the club with the full knowledge of the Ryman League have had no alternative but to postpone the match. A new date for game will be announced in due course.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 08 March - Meeting with Ivor postponed

Our chairman Ivor Arbiter regrets that he has had to postponed the supporters meeting due to be held this coming Wednesday. A new date for the meeting will be announced in the next few days, and it should take place within the next two or three weeks.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 08 March - Binns makes 200th senior appearance

On Saturday afternoon at Northwood, Dale Binns made his 200th appearance when he replaced Iain Duncan just before half time. Binns made his first team debut at Boreham Wood in April 1999 in a 2-0 defeat. He became a regular member of the first team during the following season, having come through the youth and reserve teams under the leadership of Alan Rolnick. Those 200 appearances have seen Binns, who is a favourite with Dons supporters, find the back of the net 40 times, many of which have been special goals.

Another player to reach a milestone is defender Steve Butler, who made his 100th appearance in the 4-1 win at Hitchin Town a week earlier having made his debut in December 2001 in a 1-0 victory over Purfleet at Claremont Road. Butler has scored 10 goals in that time.

A third milestone came on Wednesday night in the 2-0 county cup victory over Southall when Eugene Ofori scored his 50th goal for the club, coming in his 130th appearance.

Posted at 13:45

Monday 08 March - Anderson has not been contacted by Wombles

According to last weekend's Non-League Paper, Dave Anderson has been linked with the vacant AFC Wimbledon manager's job. The truth, however, is rather different. Mr Anderson explained, "I got a call from the Non-League Paper and I thought they wanted to talk about my Manager of the Month award. Instead they said that my name had been linked with the AFC Wimbledon job and they wanted my thoughts. I replied that I was flattered to be considered for such a high-profile post and I thought that was the end of it. I want to say that I have not applied for the job, nor have I been approached by AFC Wimbledon. I think it is nothing more than a fishing trip for the paper."

Posted at 09:30

Saturday 06 March - Greens continue unbeaten run

Hendon extended their unbeaten run to ten games with a 1-0 win over a hardworking Northwood side. The only goal of the game came in the 8th minute when Eugene Ofori broke clear of the home defence to score his 24th goal of the season. The Greens had the bulk of possession but were either short of luck in front of goal, or found home keeper Lee Carroll in fine form as he made three or four very good saves.

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 04 March - Dave wins manager of the month award

We are delighted to announce that Dave Anderson has won the February manager of the month award following our excellent run of results over the past few weeks which saw the team drop just 2 points out of the 18 they played for. This is the second award Dave has won this season and we send him our congratulations.

Dave has asked us to say that he will be attending the meeting with Ivor on Wednesday evening, and will be available to take questions from supporters at some point during the evening. Only members of the supporters association will be admitted to the meeting. Dave has also been interviewed on the Ryman League Newsline. It is a very good interview and can be heard today and tomorrow by calling 09066 555777. Calls cost 60p per minute.

Posted at 21:00

Thursday 04 March - Quiz night next week

Supporters are reminded that there will be a quiz night next Friday evening held in the clubhouse. Admission is £2, payable on the door and doors open at 7.30pm for an 8.00pm. It is always a fun evening and all are welcome.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 03 March - Dons win chance to retain cup

Hendon find themselves in their third succesive Middlesex Senior Cup Final thanks to a 2-0 victory over Southall this evening. The win was relatively comfortable for the Greens, with the first goal coming after just twelve minutes - Jon-Barrie Bates feeding the ball to Ofori who had few problems in netting his 50th goal for the club. It was again Bates who was provider just five minutes into the second half, again feeding Ofori who sealed the cup final place. While Southall worked hard throughout the game, the Dons were on top throughout and not really troubled at the back.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 03 March - Cup final details

The Middlesex Senior Cup final will take place at Yeading on Easter Monday as usual - 12th April. However, we do not yet know who our opponents will be - with the other semi-final yet to be played. More details will follow as soon as we have them.

Posted at 22:55

Monday 01 March - 200 up for Anderson

Hendon manager Dave Anderson had a very impressive February. His team played seven matches, six in the Ryman League, and went unbeaten, dropping only two points from a draw with Ford United, when they came back from 2-0 down. In addition, the point from the Ford game gave Mr Anderson a total of 200 points from 121 Ryman League Premier Division fixtures, not a bad return for the first 30 months of his career as a Premier Division manager. The manager's record, including Saturday's match at Hitchin Town, was P122, W60, D23, L39, F190, A146, Pts 203.

Posted at 10:00