News - March 2001

Saturday 31 March - Farnborough too good for Hendon

Farnborough Town eventually proved to be too good for Hendon although they were held for 65 minutes by the champions elect. At times it looked like Hendon could come away with all three points until the leaders showed their quality in the second half. Goals from Lenny Piper and Barry Laker were enough to give Farnborough all three points, although Hendon have just nine days to wait to gain revenge.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 31 March - Richard Wilmot returns

Hendon have resigned goalkeeper Richard Wilmot as cover for Gary McCann for the remainder of the season. Wilmot played 13 games whilst on loan for Hendon in the autumn while McCann was rehabilitating from his knee operation and won the fans over with a number of good performances before unfortunately breaking his arm at Carshalton in November.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 30 March - Farnborough game looking good

Tomorrow afternoon's game against Farnborough Town is looking as if it will go ahead. The groundsman working on our pitch today had worked at Farnborough yesterday and said that the surface was looking excellent. Kick off at Cherrywood Road is 3.00pm.

Posted at 14:00

Friday 30 March - New date for Hampton game

Our blank date on Easter Monday has been filled by Hampton & Richmond Borough, who have given up a free bank holiday in order to help us fulfil our fixtures. Kick off for the game is still to be confirmed.

Posted at 13:45

Thursday 29 March - Harrow game definately postponed

The game against Harrow Borough on Easter Monday has definately been called off. The Ryman League had made a request to the Middlesex FA to move the final to avoid creating additional fixture problems, but the county have stood firm, and annoyingly leaves us with an unecessary blank day.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 28 March - It's off again!

Tonight's match against Hitchin Town has been postponed. We now have 18 matches to play in 36 days.

Posted at 14:00

Wednesday 28 March - Early afternoon inspection

There will be an early afternoon inspection today at the LOOT Stadium, but it again looks doubtful that tonight's game will go ahead. There are currently 3 men working on the pitch, with a fourth on their way. Next update will be online by 3.00pm.

Posted at 12:00

Tuesday 27 March - Harrow Borough game postponed?

Due to the fact that Harrow Borough beat Hayes 2-1 in the Middlesex Senior Cup Semi-Final this evening, it appears that our Ryman League match at the LOOT Stadium on Easter Monday against Harrow will be postponed. This is because the final is due to be played on the same day at Uxbridge. We will update you as soon as we get confirmation.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 26 March - Another blank weekend

Hendon and the Ryman League's troubled season took another turn for the worse last weekend as both suffered from inactivity. The apparently incessant rain on Wednesday and Thursday ensured that for the second consecutive weekend, none of Hendon's 6 teams managed to see action.

For the Ryman League, it was another bad story with 23 of 43 matches postponed. The League has called an EGM to discuss extending the season as clubs struggle to complete their schedule by Saturday 5 May. As of last Saturday, 137 matches remained to be played in the Premier Division (of which Hendon had 18) and 155 in Division 3 in just 6 weeks.

It is by no means certain that clubs, especially those that have been able to just about keep up with their games, will sanction the extension. This is especially true of a club that has only away games to play after 5 May; they will have to pay extra wages without any income to cover it. However, without an extension, Hendon are certain to have at least one spell of games on consecutive days or nights. The Ryman League has already given clubs permission to switch games from one venue to another.

With the situation being so fluid (no pun intended), Hendon's fans can get up-to-date news on the club's premium-rate infomation telephone line, the Greensline, 09066 555 836 (60p per minute at all times), as well as on here, the official website. Both the telephone line and the website are updated as soon as any changes to the schedule are made.

Posted at 12:00

Monday 26 March - Two new signings

As was mentioned briefly last week Hendon unveiled two new signings for their game against Purfleet last week. They were central defender Chris Sparks and midfielder Otis Roberts. Sparks, 27, who signed from Yeading, is a tall, dominating stopper whose former clubs include Brentford, Chertsey Town , Hayes, St Albans City, Chesham United, Boreham Wood and Hemel Hempstead.

Roberts, who impressed with speed and ball control at Purfleet, is a much-travelled Grenadian who has represented his country many times at full international level. He joined Hendon from Harrow Borough, having previously played for FC Hoogstraten of Belgium.

Posted at 11:45

Monday 26 March - Reserves face double-headers

The Suburban League have announced that they will arrange double-headers in order to assist the completion of fixtures this season. Hendon's reserve side have not played an away league game since November, and will face Thame United in a double header at The LOOT Stadium this coming Saturday. The kickoff time is still to be confirmed. Each match will last either 60 or 70 minutes.

Posted at 11:30

Saturday 24 March - Hitchin game put back 48 hours

The game against Hitchin Town, originally due to be played this coming Monday has now been put back to Wednesday evening, kick off 7.30pm. There is no significant rain forecast for the next few days, and the club decided to give the pitch an additional 48 hours to dry out.

Posted at 12:00

Friday 23 March - Tomorrow's match rained off

For the 25th time this season, the weather has postponed a Hendon first team game, this time tomorrow's fixture at home against Hampton & Richmond Borough has fallen foul of the persistent rain.

Posted at 19:30

Friday 23 March - Pitch inspection this evening

There will be a 7.00pm pitch inspection this evening to see whether tomorrow's game against Hampton & Richmond Borough will go ahead. However, following the heavy rain this morning, the club is doubtful that the game will be played, creating further fixture headaches.

Posted at 12:00

Thursday 22 March - More rearranged fixtures

Two more outstanding fixtures have been rearranged. On Monday, 9th April we make a third attempt at entertaining Farnborough Town at the LOOT Stadium, while on Thursday, 3rd May we travel to Gravesend & Northfleet. The home game against Aldershot Town is still to be rearranged.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 19 March - Hendon earn a point at Purfleet

Hendon put out a good performance tonight at Purfleet, and may feel aggrieved not to come away with all three points rather than a goalless draw. Hendon fielded two debutants, central defender Chris Sparks, who joins us from Yeading, and midfielder Otis Roberts, who is an international for one of the Caribbean islands, and recently left Harrow Borough. Both sides had decent penalty shouts turned down, and a string of good saves from the Purfleet keeper kept the home side in the game.

Posted at 22:30

Monday 19 March - Purfleet game goes ahead

It has been confirmed that tonight's game at Purfleet will definately go ahead. Kick off time is 7.45pm.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 19 March - One third postponed

Hendon's postponement against Aldershot Town on Saturday means that, for one reason or another, the Greens have had exactly one-third of their 42 Ryman League Premier Division matches postponed this season, 8 home and 6 away.

Saturday morning's news came as no surprise, especially as 8 out of the other 10 Premier Division games (and 35 out of 43 in the Ryman League) were called off. In fact, none of Hendon's 6 teams actually managed to play, the Reserves and all 4 youth teams having matches called off. Hendon's first team have played 38 matches (23 League and 15 Cup) so far this season, but had 24 matches postponed due to the weather, only one of these was due to a frozen pitch, rather than a waterlogged pitch.

On the entirely hopeful assumption that tonight's game with Purfleet goes ahead without a hitch, it will leave Hendon with 18 Ryman League Premier Division fixtures to play in 43 days (or 6 full weeks + 1 day) before the end of the season. This means the Greens will have 2 games in every midweek bar one until the first week of May, assuming, of course, that not only are there no more postponements and Hendon's remaining opponents have free days when Hendon do. A worst-case scenario would mean matches on consecutive days in one week.

The Reserves meanwhile have had it even worse with 20 games played and 22 dates postponed. The youth teams, whose schedules are far less taxing are, nonetheless, also struggling, but they have alleviated much of their problems by playing double-headers. Two weekends ago, all four teams completed pairs of games.

Posted at 13:45

Monday 19 March - Player News

Two Hendon players have left the club in the past few days. As mentioned yesterday, it has been confirmed that goalkeeper Andy Iga signed for Hitchin Town and made his debut for them last Saturday. He made his debut for Hendon last season, appearing 16 times while Gary McCann was out injured, and started this season as first choice, but a run of bad form and illness saw him out of the side and he made just a handful of appearances (7) this term. Iga may soon be returning to LOOT Stadium, however, as Hitchin are Hendon's opponents on 26 March.

The other player to sign for a new club is midfielder Ossie Hasan, who made just one first-team appearance, against Heybridge Swifts in the Full Members Cup in December. A member of Alan Rolnick's Reserve squad, Hasan jumped at the chance of first team football at Cheshunt and was set to play for the Theobalds Lane club against East Thurrock in Ryman League Division Two, but the game was postponed.

Posted at 13:30

Sunday 18 March - Iga now at Hitchin

Goalkeeper Andy Iga made his Ryman League debut for Hitchin Town yesterday afternoon at Billericay Town. We will find out from the club tomorrow whether this is a permanent or a loan move. Hitchin have suddenly found themselves with a keeper shortage following the loaning of Richard Wilmot to Metropolitan Police, and the sale of Darren Bonfield to Boreham Wood, leaving them just with youngster James Robinson, who played against us for Harrow Borough on Boxing Day.

Posted at 14:00

Saturday 17 March - Match off again

It will come as no surprise that this afternoon's match against Aldershot Town has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. The club now look forward to trying to end our hoodoo against Purfleet on Monday evening. The game at the Thurrock Hotel kicks off at 7.45 pm, weather permitting. The first team now face 19 games in 48 days in order to complete the season on time. There have been no plans by the Ryman League to extend the season beyond May 5th.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 16 March - Pitch inspection arranged

There will be a pitch inspection at 10.00 tomorrow morning. The result of the inspection will be posted as soon as we hear anything.

Posted at 14:00

Thursday 15 March - Pray for dry weather

The prayers for dry weather are being sent upwards as we hope to play Aldershot Town on Saturday afternoon. The pitch is currently "wet in areas" and if it stays reasonably dry between now and Saturday morning, the club are hopeful the game will go ahead.

Posted at 14:00

Thursday 15 March - St Albans match rearranged

The home game against St Albans City has been rearranged for Wednesday, 18th April with a 7.30pm kick off. This leaves the Farnborough and Gravesend games without dates.

Posted at 13:45

Tuesday 13 March - England match forces early kick off

The match against Hampton & Richmond Borough on Saturday, 24th March will kick off at the earlier time of 12.30pm. This is to avoid a clash with the England match which takes place later that same afternoon.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 12 March - Match washed out

This evening's game against leaders Farnborough Town has been washed out by the afternoon rain.

Posted at 16:20

Monday 12 March - Pitch inspection this afternoon

Today's game against Farnborough Town is only 50% certain to go ahead after the heavy weekend rainfall. However, it is currently sunny and breezy in Cricklewood, and this can only assist in the drying of the pitch. There will be a pitch inspection at 4.15pm this afternoon to determine whether the game will go ahead or not.

Posted at 11:45

Saturday 10 March - Gravesend match postponed

Following a midday pitch inspection, today's game at Stonebridge Road has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Posted at 12:30

Saturday 10 March - Early news from Gravesend

A number of Gravesend supporters are currently working on the pitch in an attempt to get this afternoon's game to go ahead. A decision will be made in an hour or so whether to get a local referee in, or leave the decision to the match referee. Further updates will go online as soon as we hear it.

Posted at 09:30

Thursday 08 March - Saturday's game already in doubt

The familiar story has emerged once again, but this time it is Stonebridge Road, the home of Gravesend & Northfleet, that is suffering from the weather. Their fixture tonight has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, and Greensnet have been informed that our game there on Saturday is already in some doubt. We will update the site as soon as we hear more.

Posted at 19:00

Monday 05 March - Basingstoke take chances to beat Greens

Hendon were beaten by a strong Basingstoke side tonight. Basingstoke took a two goal lead at half time as Sean Gorman and Tim Sills capitalised on defensive errors. Dale Binns scored his 15th goal of the season midway through the second half, only for Hendon to concede a penalty which was converted by Gorman. Ross Pickett scored a late goal for Hendon to set up a frantic last couple of minutes, but the Hampshire side held on to move into 5th place.

Posted at 18:30

Monday 05 March - Binns and Watson sign new contracts

Hendon supporters will be delighted to hear that Dale Binns and Marvyn Watson have both signed new improved contracts which will keep them at LOOT Stadium until the end of the 2002-03 season. Manager Frank Murphy said, "I promised all the players if they do well for me I will look after them. Marvyn has come in for the injured Iain Duncan and has done excellently. Dale was only 19 at the start of the season and he was playing youth team football just over 18 months ago. He has come on so much that if he continues to improve, I don't think he'll be in Non-League football, but will have been snapped up by a pro club."

Posted at 14:00

Monday 05 March - Murphy celebrates 4 years at Hendon

On Tuesday night, 6 March, Hendon boss Frank Murphy celebrates his 4th anniversary as manager at LOOT Stadium.

His first game in charge was on Saturday 8 March 1997, when temporary boss Andy O'Brien selected the team, and a John Ugbah goal gave Hendon a 1-0 victory over fellow strugglers Chertsey Town. Before tonight's game with Basingstoke, his Ryman League record with Hendon is played 163 games, won 73, drawn 33 and lost 57, goals scored 268, conceded 240.

In addition, he has twice taken Hendon to the FA Cup 2nd round proper - including the club's 2nd ever victory over Football League opposition - twice won the Puma (Isthmian Full Members) Cup and once won the Middlesex Senior Cup.

The only two Hendon players who have been at the club since Murphy joined are Simon Clarke and Curtis Warmington, though the latter has been involved in coaching for the past season and a half. Murphy's first signing was central defender Richard Nugent and his second was goalkeeper Gary McCann, who remains first choice between the posts.

Posted at 13:45

Saturday 03 March - Binns heads Hendon home

A 60th minute header from leading scorer Dale Binns gave Hendon all three points at York Road this afternoon after both sides had scored penalties. Maidenhead took the lead in the first half after Jon Daly bundled over an attacker in the area, before Warren Kelly equalised in the 48th minute following a handball. A much better performance from the team, particularly in the second half secured the points, and moved the club into 13th place in the league.

Posted at 18:45

Thursday 01 March - Hendon slip out of county cup

On a freezing night at Honeycroft, Hendon slipped out of the Middlesex Senior Cup to Uxbridge losing 2-0. A poor all round performance by Hendon saw Uxbridge deservedly take the lead shortly after half time. The second goal came in the last 10 minutes following a poor decision by the linesman who gave a controversial corner which led to the goal. Ross Pickett had the best chances for Hendon, but saw one strike saved by the keeper and another, much easier chance go well over the bar.

Posted at 23:00

Thursday 01 March - 1st team on, reserves off

Uxbridge have confirmed that tonights Middlesex Senior Cup match will go ahead as planned. However, the reserves match at home against Hayes has been postponed.

Posted at 14:00