News - December 2006

Saturday 30 December - Second half blitz at Leyton

An outstanding second half performance saw Hendon win 4-1 at Leyton this afternoon. The first half was fairly even until Leyton took the lead on the stroke of half time, Leli Bajada finishing superbly. Within ten minutes of the restart the Greens had equalised through Brian Haule and twenty minutes later Belal Aiteouakrim put Hendon ahead. The best goal of the day, and possibly of the season, came in the 83rd minute when Jamie Busby hit an outstanding strike into the top corner of the net and Ross Pickett completed the scoring in stoppage time.

Posted at 19:30

Tuesday 26 December - Greens snatch last gasp point

An equalising goal in the sixth minute of injury time earnt Hendon a last gasp point against local rivals Harrow Borough this afternoon at Claremont Road. After a goalless first half, Harrow took the lead in the 71st minute when James Bent scored direct from a free kick. It looked as though the Greens were going to regret not taking their chances earlier in the game when Ross Pickett stepped up to head home from close range.

Posted at 17:30

Sunday 24 December - Remember it's an early start on Tuesday

A reminder that our Boxing Day home game against Harrow Borough will kick off at the earlier time of 1.00pm. The weather forecast is favourable with no frost or rain expected so the game should go ahead with no problems. Should there be any problems we will leave a message on the messageboard.

Those supporters travelling on public transport are reminded that there is a reduced service on the Northern Line on Boxing Day, but both Golders Green and Brent Cross stations are open and all bus services will be operating to a Sunday schedule. However, there is no service on First Capital Connect train services so therefore Cricklewood station will be closed. If you are travelling by car, please bear in mind that Brent Cross could well be very busy with people going shopping in the sales.

Posted at 15:00

Sunday 24 December - Youth team round up

Our four Sunday youth teams are currently on their Christmas break. The U16s, U15s and U14s currently top their respective divisions, whilst the U13s are putting in a great challenge currently lying in second place. They return to action in a fortnights time when the U16s entertain Headstone Manor, the U15s entertain Lancaster Diamonds and the U13s travel to Acton Ealing Whistlers B. The U14s get an extra week off and return to action on 14th January when they travel to Pitshanger B for a league cup tie.

Posted at 13:00

Sunday 24 December - Munday departs, Murphy joins

Yesterday's victory over Worthing saw 18 year old defender Kieran Murphy join on a months loan from MK Dons. A teammate of Sam Page, who was with us earlier this season, Kieran has made one first team appearance for the Dons in the Johnsons Paint Trophy this season. He has also spent a month on loan at Maidenhead United. We welcome Kieran to the club and hope that he enjoys his time with us. Meanwhile, Jon Munday, who was with us on a similar deal from QPR has returned to Loftus Road. Jon made 6 appearances scoring 1 goal. We thank Jon for his efforts over the past few weeks and wish him all the best for the future.

Posted at 12:45

Saturday 23 December - Hendon buzz out of bottom three

Hendon needed two late goals to earn all three points this afternoon against Worthing, a result that moved the Greens out of the bottom three. Following a goalless first half, Worthing took the lead in the 67th minute when Ben Andrews headed home. Hendon battled back but Wayne O'Sullvian's fine shot rebounded off the crossbar. However in the 77th minute Lee O'Leary slammed the ball home after good work from Dean Green, and with just five minutes to go Jamie Busby scored the winner with a fine curling shot.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 22 December - It's been a bit foggy

As people will be more than aware, much of the country has been engulfed by fog for much of this week. The club have been keeping an eye on conditions throughout the week and visibility has always been good enough to be able to see the far end of the ground from the boardroom window. Therefore even if conditions were to remain the same there would be no problems staging the game tomorrow. Should there be any change tomorrow, please check the messageboard for updates as we will be unable to update the website tomorrow morning.

Posted at 14:30

Monday 18 December - Youth team round up

Two youth teams were in action yesterday and both won their respective games. The under 13s had Abdul Nazim to thank as he scored a hat-trick in their 7-3 win over Greenford Celtic B that cemented their position in second place in the table. Meanwhile the under 14s go into the Christmas break on top of their table following their 3-1 win at Heathrow Club, Nassir Elmi scoring two of the goals. The under 15s and under 16s both remain top of their tables as well despite their recent inactivity.

Posted at 14:00

Saturday 16 December - Defeat in Kent

Hendon came away from Margate this afternoon empty handed following their 4-1 defeat at Hartsdown Park. However, for the first half hour the Greens were the better side and were a goal up thanks to a fine 16th minute free kick from the returning Marc Leach. Margate equalised with a fine strike from Danny Hockton twenty minutes later. Both sides had chances to score in the first period of the second half, but it was Margate that found the net when Lee Protheroe scored. Steve McKimm made it 3-1 with five minutes to go before Hockton completed the scoring in injury time from the penalty spot.

Posted at 19:30

Saturday 16 December - Leach returns to the fold

This morning Gary McCann completed the signing of central defender Marc Leach from Aylesbury United. Marc, who was with us for much of last season, initally on loan from Yeading, left in the summer and spent the first part of this season with Slough Town before a short spell with Aylesbury. We warmly welcome Marc back to the club, and hope that he enjoys his time with us once again. Meanwhile leaving the club is Ian Hilaire who has joined Heybridge Swifts.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 12 December - Hillingdon Borough up next

Hendon will have another home tie in the quarter finals of the Middlesex Senior Cup when they entertain Hillingdon Borough at Claremont Road. The game is due to take place on Tuesday 30th January 2007. Hillingdon progressed last night as they beat Yeading 4-3, with former Hendon striker Blaise O'Brien scoring twice.

Posted at 11:00

Tuesday 12 December - Hendon progress in county cup

Hendon had a comfortable win last night in the second round of the Middlesex Senior Cup as they saw off a young North Greenford United side 6-0 at Claremont Road. Brian Haule was the first to score in the 21st minute, before Ross Pickett doubled the lead twelve minutes later. Haule scored his second in the 61st minute before substitute Dean Green scored a quickfire brace in the 67th and 74th minutes. The final goal came five minutes from time when Ryan Newman scored his first goal for the club since his recent move from Maidenhead United. Making his debut for the Greens was defender Boris Bogdanov who previously played in Bulgaria.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 12 December - Youth team round up

Two youth teams were in action last Sunday. The under 16s dropped their first points of the season as they drew 2-2 with Kensington Dragons, whilst the under 13s continued their good form with a 5-2 win over Headstone Manor B. Full reports and updated tables can be found on the relevant team pages as usual.

Posted at 09:00

Saturday 09 December - Robins shot down by Greens

Hendon put in an excellent performance this afternoon to win 3-1 at fellow strugglers Carshalton Athletic. The Greens took the lead in the 7th minute when Jon Munday fired the ball home for his first goal for the club. Five minutes later Carshalton were level when Luke Fontana converted a penalty kick but ten minutes before the break Jazz Rose, also his first goal for the club, restored the lead when he scored with a looping header with the goalkeeper completely stranded. The third goal came in the 69th minute when Belal Aiteouakrim beat the offside trap and rounded the keeper to score. With all the other bottom half sides dropping points or not playing, the result moves the Greens off the foot of the table and closer to safety.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 09 December - Youth team round up

With many apologies for the delay in updating, we take a brief look back at the youth games played last weekend. The under 15s crashed out of the league cup, going down 9-0 to Harrow St Marys. Their misery was compounded by serious injuries to Max Judge and Kyran Macarthy early in the game. The under 13s only had ten men available but ran out 6-1 winners at St Josephs B with Luke Azumah and Kobina Simpson both scoring twice. The under 14s cemented their place at the top of the table with a 6-3 win over Ruislip Rangers, Nestor Bokuli scored a hat-trick. The under 16s game was postponed after their pitch was left unplayable after a car had driven across it several times leaving it rutted and dangerous.

Posted at 10:45

Monday 04 December - Greens lose to first half goals

Two goals in the first half hour were enough for Bromley to win 2-0 at a damp Claremont Road tonight. With the game not kicking off until 8pm due to the late arrival of the match referee, Bromley took the lead in the 18th minute when Bromley intercepted the ball in midfield and broke away with Kirk Watts scoring into an empty net. The second goal came eight minutes later when a shot from Gareth Williams took a wicked deflection into the net. Hendon's best chances came in the second half, but shots were either deflected straight at the keeper or wide of the goal.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 04 December - Pitch passes precautionary inspection

The pitch has passed a precautionary inspection that took place at 1.30pm this afternoon. At the request of tonight's match referee, a local referee has inspected the pitch and in his opinion the pitch is playable. Unless there is a further update to the website or messageboard, the game is going ahead as planned. Any updates after 4.00pm will only be posted to the messageboard. To find the messageboard, please click the link below.

Posted at 13:45

Saturday 02 December - Hendon have washout blues

A glorious, sunny afternoon greeted the fans of Hendon and Slough Town as they travelled to Claremont Road this afternoon, but there were no sunny dispositions in the two dressing rooms after the referee called off the match less than 30 minutes before the scheduled kick-off.

Rain during Friday night had left a tiny rectangle of the pitch - at most six yards by three, outside the penalty area, parallel to the six-yard box and touchline - in a poor condition, but supporters, players and club officials worked hard on the area, laying sand and ensuring no surface water was visible. The remainder of the playing area looked to be in exceptional condition for December.

Hendon have spent tens of thousands of pounds in recent years getting their once notorious Claremont Road pitch into better condition and this postponement was the Greens first home first team game called off in almost five years.

I can recall literally dozens of occasions where matches were played on Claremont Road pitches significantly worse than this one and if the pitch was unplayable today then every game at the ground from October 1999 to May 2000 should have been called off.

Indeed, Hendon and Slough fans stood reminiscing in the pleasant early December sunshine about previous matches played between the two clubs when the pitches - at Claremont Road, Wexham Park and Stag Meadow - were all significantly worse than what they were looking at.

It must be said that the two teams were both desperate to play and the respective managers made representations to the match official in a vain bid to reverse his decision.

Greens manager Gary McCann said, "This is super-frustrating for both teams. We were really keen to play the game.

"The referee felt there was a safety issue with players possibly sliding in the hoardings behind the goal, but this is more likely to happen if a pitch gets wet during a match. When Keiron Dyer of Newcastle did it last week, it was not because the pitch was muddy, but because rain had made the grass slippery.

"Mark West (the Slough manager) and I went to see the referee and begged him to change his mind. We both agreed that if a player was badly injured as a result of the pitch, the referee would be completely absolved of any blame and we would take full responsibility, but he was adamant that the game could not go ahead. We even had fans at a local shop bringing in more sand to spread onto the pitch."

Adding to both managers' frustration was the fact that Walton & Hersham's 2-0 win against Chelmsford City sent Hendon back to the bottom of the Ryman League table on goal difference, while Slough remain in the bottom three despite Worthing losing 3-1 at home to Billericay Town.

(by David Ballheimer)

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 02 December - Match postponed at 2.40pm

Today's game against Slough Town was called off at 2.40pm this afternoon by the match referee. The official was unhappy with the state of the pitch in one corner and in his opinion it was unsafe for the game to go ahead. Hendon manager Gary McCann and Slough manager Mark West were both happy to play the game as were the players from both sides. Hendon Football Club would like to apologise to all those who travelled to the game today and were left disappointed by the postponement. A new date for the game will be announced in due course.

Posted at 16:00

Friday 01 December - No pitch inspection planned

Despite the damp weather today, there is no pitch inspection currently planned for tomorrow's important home game against Slough Town. It is expected that the game will go ahead with no problems. Should the situation change tomorrow morning, we will update the website and the messageboard. Please check both because if there is a late change we will only be able to update the messageboard. It is safe to assume that if there are no further updates, the game is definitely on.

Posted at 15:00