News - December 2005

Thursday 29 December - Tough Westview Cup draw

The draw for the quarter finals of the Westview Cup was made yesterday at the League board meeting and our reward for beating AFC Wimbledon is a tough home tie against Fisher Athletic. The provisional date for this game is Tuesday 21st February 2006. The other ties are Harrow Borough or Worthing v Billericay Town, Slough Town v Heybridge Swifts and Bromley v Wealdstone.

Posted at 14:00

Wednesday 28 December - Anderson recovering well

Supporters may well have noticed that our medical consultant Gary Anderson hasn't been around at recent games. This is due to the fact that he suffered an acute stroke a couple of weeks ago. However, Gary McCann has confirmed today that Gary is making very good progress and well on the road to recovery, and he is hoping to be back at the club in the next two or three weeks. We are sure that all supporters will join us in wishing Gary a speedy recovery.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 26 December - No Boxing Day joy for Greens

It turned out to be a disappointing Boxing Day for Hendon as they lost 2-0 at Leyton. The home side took the lead through James Bunn in the 39th minute somewhat against the run of play, but after that the Greens only made rare forays into the home goal area. Earlier Ricci Crace had seen a fierce drive well saved by Leyton keeper James Hasell in the best chance of the game for Hendon. The second goal came on the hour mark when Albano Correia knocked the ball home from close range. Whilst the Greens had plenty of possession throughout the game, the quality of the crossing was disappointing.

Posted at 16:00

Wednesday 21 December - Reserves win at Yeading

The reserves picked up their first win of the season as they ran out 4-3 winners at Yeading. Jimmy Froud opened the scoring in the 12th minute, before trialist Dean Sylvester went on a mazy run through the Yeading defence and fired the ball into the net to double the lead six minutes later. Yeading came back into the game with goals in the 40th and 45th minutes to make the half time score 2-2. Danny Julienne drove the ball home in the 64th minute to restore the lead, and just two minutes later Francois Gabbidon headed the ball home off a defender to make the score 4-2. Yeading pulled a goal back in the 73rd minute but the Greens were able to hold on for the three points much to the delight of managers Mark Crawford and John Creith.

Team: Derek Lewis, Chad Griffiths, Matthew Peart, Conor Carroll, Francois Gabbidon, Kevin Fellows, Danny Julienne, Dean Sylvester, Greg Ngoyi, Jimmy Froud, Danny Edwards. Used subs: Ronald Adjekwei, Stephan Chambers-Bignall. Unused sub : Ricardo Braganza

Posted at 22:30

Wednesday 21 December - London Senior Cup opponents known

We will be entertaining Redbridge in the quarter finals of the London Senior Cup sometime early in the new year after the Motormen beat Barkingside 1-0 yesterday evening.

Posted at 22:15

Tuesday 20 December - O'Brien strike beats Wombles

A single goal from Blaise O'Brien in the 22nd minute was enough to see off AFC Wimbledon this evening in the Westview League Cup. O'Brien's goal came when he found himself in space, and he fired a shot just inside the post, leaving Wimbledon keeper Andy Little wrongfooted on his goalline. The win takes the Greens into the quarter finals of the competition.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 19 December - Youth team round up

Both youth teams that were in action this weekend won their respective games. The under 18s had Ronald Adjekwei to thank for their 1-0 win at Young Stars, whilst Nassir Elmi hit four goals in the under 13s 5-2 win at Pitshanger A, with skipper Alan Aberdeen scoring the other goal. The under 15s game was postponed. All three youth teams now have two weekends with no games due to the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 17 December - Hendon pay the penalty

A soft penalty given away by Danny Murphy with eight minutes to go which was in turn converted by Bertie Brayley turned out to be the winner for Margate this afternoon at a cold Claremont Road. Earlier Margate had deservedly taken the lead in the 24th minute when Brayley finished off a fine counter attack by the visiting side after the Greens had two early goals both disallowed for offside. The Greens pulled a goal back in the 48th minute when Ben Hudell fired a fine lob over the keeper from just inside the Margate half, and until the penalty was given away, it had looked as if the Greens were on their way to at least a point instead of which the Margate travelling support went home happy with all three points.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 17 December - Frendo out on loan

John Frendo has returned to Ryman League Division Two side Ware this morning on a months loan in order to gain some regular first team football over the Christmas period. John originally signed for the Greens from Ware in February 2004. We wish him an enjoyable spell with his former club and look forward to welcoming him back in the new year.

Posted at 13:00

Saturday 17 December - Holiday kick offs and travel information

Both of our forthcoming bank holiday games, at Leyton on Boxing Day, and at home against Wealdstone on 2nd January, will kick off at 3.00pm following discussions with both clubs.

In terms of public transport on Boxing Day a Sunday service is operating on all London Bus routes, the 58 (East Ham to Walthamstow) operates every 15 minutes and the 158 (Stratford to Chingford Mount) operates every 20 minutes and both pass the ground. There is no overground National Rail service, so in terms of rail services the best option is to use the Central Line to Leyton which will be operating every 7-8 minutes. Supporters are reminded that the Jubilee Line will not be operating on Boxing Day, or indeed at all over the Christmas holiday period.

On the 2nd January, the tube will be operating a Saturday service whilst the buses will be operating a Sunday service and the overground trains will all be operating but to modified timetables.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 15 December - Reserves lose to Dulwich

The reserves slipped to another defeat last night as they lost 3-1 at home to Dulwich Hamlet, their solitary goal coming courtesy of John Frendo in the 58th minute. Dulwich scored in the 20th, 49th and 77th minutes. Other first team squad members involved last night were Derek Lewis, Jimmy Froud, Danny Edwards and Adilson Lopes.

Posted at 14:00

Tuesday 13 December - It's another nine goal thriller!

For the second time this season the Greens beat Wealdstone 5-4, this time at Claremont Road in the Middlesex Senior Cup after extra time. Wealdstone took the lead in the 14th minute through Jermaine Beckford before Ricci Crace equalised four minutes later. In the 21st minute the Greens took the lead as Robin Tucker headed the ball into his own net after a communication breakdown with his keeper. Early in the second half Beckford equalised for the Stones, but just a minute later Byron Bubb restored the lead for the Greens with his first goal since his return to the club.

In the 68th minute Richard Jolly found the back of the net for Wealdstone, and there were no further goals before the end of normal time. Four minutes into extra time Ross Pickett put the Greens back in front heading home when he was at least three yards offside. Much to the astonishment of the Hendon bench the goal stood. A minute later Byron Bubb scored his second of the evening before Wealdstone substitute Phil Turner made the last five minutes interesting by pulling the score back to 5-4.

The reward for the Greens is a trip to Northwood in the quarter finals, the game is due to be played on Tuesday 31st January 2006 at Chestnut Avenue.

Posted at 23:30

Monday 12 December - Youth team round up

The under 18s continued their disappointing run of results on Saturday afternoon as they lost 2-1 against London Tigers Reserves, Matthew Peart scoring the goal. It was better news for the other two teams, the under 15s won 9-5 at Harlington with Matthew Hornblow taking his tally for the season to 21 with four goals, whilst Carl Ciagoro scored three. The under 13s beat Celtic A 3-1 on their own patch, Nasser Elmi scoring all three goals to take his own tally to 18 for the season so far. Full details can be found as normal on the individual team pages.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 10 December - Battling Greens lose to Wombles

Hendon put in a battling second half performance, but were ultimately unable to turn around the 2-0 half time deficit as they lost 2-1 to AFC Wimbledon this afternoon. The Wombles took the lead in the 7th minute when Michael Harvey finished off a fine move, and in the 29th minute Richard Butler doubled the lead from close range. The lead was deserved, but the Greens answered back well when they pulled a goal back in the 54th minute through Blaise O'Brien who fired a fine shot past the Wimbledon keeper. However, try as they might, they were unable to find the equaliser much to the disappointment of manager Gary McCann.

Posted at 19:30

Saturday 10 December - 150 club - November results

The November results for the 150 club have been announced and the £50 prize goes to the holder of card number 150, and the winner of the £25 prize is card number 47.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 09 December - Mark is a Saint, Marvyn is a King

The club confirmed today that Mark Burgess has signed for St Albans City on a dual registration basis, whilst Marvyn Watson has joined Kingsbury Town on a months loan to gain some regular first team football and is expected to play in their FA Vase tie against Lowestoft Town tomorrow afternoon. It will be an interesting tie as Bontcho Guentchev's son is currently on loan from Ipswich Town with Lowestoft.

Posted at 14:00

Wednesday 07 December - Greens progress in London Senior Cup

A much changed Hendon line up beat a second string Dagenham & Redbridge side 2-1 at a wet Claremont Road this evening to progress into the quarter finals of the London Senior Cup where a home game against Redbridge or Barkingside awaits. The Greens took the lead in the 28th minute through Jeff Campbell, but were hauled back in the 62nd minute when Ashley Vickers scored from close range. The winner came courtesy of a Jimmy Froud strike in the 78th minute to see the Greens safely into the next round.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 06 December - Bubb returns as Lopes signs on

Byron Bubb became the latest player to return to the club as he came on as a substitute last night. Originally with the club in 2002, he made 32 appearances scoring 7 goals. Also signing onto first team forms is Adilson Lopes, who has been a part of the reserve squad for sometime and has been in good goalscoring form recently. Adilson is an Australian midfielder and has formerly played for Boreham Wood.

Posted at 12:00

Tuesday 06 December - Reduced admission tomorrow

Supporters are reminded that the admission for tomorrow night's London Senior Cup tie against Dagenham & Redbridge has been reduced to £5.00 for adults and £2.00 for concessions. We hope to see as many supporters at the game as possible as the squad look to continue their recent good form.

Posted at 11:00

Tuesday 06 December - Non League Directory 2006

There is a limited supply of the new Non League Directory on sale in the club shop. Priced at £16.00, cheaper than in the shops, anyone wishing to purchase a copy should call into the club shop to secure their copy.

Posted at 10:55

Tuesday 06 December - Personal radios now on sale

Now available in the club shop are personal radios priced at just £6.50. These radios are light, small and ideal if you want to listen to the radio whilst out and about. Call into the shop to take a look and they may just be the perfect Christmas present for someone in your family.

Posted at 10:50

Tuesday 06 December - Youth team round up

The under 15s were the only junior side to win at the weekend as they avenged their controversial defeat last weekend by beating Lancaster Diamonds 7-2, Matty Hornblow leading the way with four goals. The under 13s were knocked out of the league cup going down to Old Isleworthians A 5-2, Nasser Elmi and Ryan Brennan scoring the goals, whilst the under 18s were also knocked out of their cup going down 3-1 at North Greenford United Social. Full details can be found on the relevant pages as normal.

Posted at 10:45

Monday 05 December - Hendon Blaise up the table

Hendon moved five places up the table into thirteenth place tonight following their 2-1 win at Folkestone Invicta. The Greens took the lead in the 33rd minute when Blaise O'Brien beat his marker and fired a fierce shot across the keeper into the net, a goal that came very much against the run of play. The second goal came in the 65th minute when Ricci Crace headed home a free kick. Folkestone's goal came in stoppage time courtesy of James Dryden, and shortly afterwards the home side were reduced to ten men when Scott Lindsey was sent off just two minutes after coming on for lashing out at John Frendo.

Posted at 23:45

Saturday 03 December - Debutant scores as Hendon win

Hendon bounced back from their defeat at Staines with a comfortable 2-0 win at Redbridge this afternoon. With all three new players, Steve Good, Ben Hudell and Blaise O'Brien making a good impression on their debuts, it was Hudell who broke the deadlock in the 30th minute with a swerving strike from 30 yards. The second goal came courtesy of Ricci Crace who scored his 50th first team goal after an excellent run from Dave Hunt in the 77th minute. The Greens had a number of other chances but found Redbridge keeper Michael Whittaker in very good form. The win moves the Greens one place up the table into 18th place.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 02 December - Two sign on loan

Gary McCann has made two loan signings ahead of tomorrow's important fixture at Redbridge. Joining from Braintree Town is 26 year old defender Steve Good who won the Braintree Supporters Player of the Year award in 2003/04. The second loan signing is midfielder Ben Huddell from Yeading. We welcome both players to the club and hope they both have an enjoyable and fruitful time with us.

Posted at 15:30