News - December 2003

Monday 29 December - HFC Christmas Draw winners

This year's Christmas draw winners are now online, and can be found inside our features section. The top prize of a guitar went to Warren Kelly, who did well this year, winning another one of the 20 prizes on offer. While most of the prizes have been claimed, some are still outstanding, so check your tickets against the full list of winners.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 27 December - Boro' undone by Greens

Hendon won todays "Boxing Day" fixture with Harrow Borough, running out 2-1 winners at Earlsmead thanks to an improvement in the performance in the last half hour. While the pitch was not conducive to a passing game, Hendon tried to make the best of it, and created a number of problems for Karamoko in the first half, but it was Harrow who took the lead in the 36th minute, Ross Fitzsimon scoring with what was almost the home side's only shot on target. However, a dubious penalty given against Danny Moore came to the Dons rescue just five minutes into the second half, Scott Cousins stepping up and powering the ball high to Karamoko's right. Hendon then put their foot down, and took control of the game, with the breakthrough coming in the 73rd minute. Binns won a penalty on the edge of the area, which Dean Brennan stepped up to curl the ball around the wall, Karamoko having little chance despite getting a hand to it.

Posted at 18:00

Tuesday 23 December - Greens overcome Gulls

Hendon beat a strong (but not full strength) Canvey Island side 3-0 tonight at Park Lane, earning a trip to Bracknell Town in the third round of the Bryco Cup. The first goal came in the 24th minute, Martin Randall playing the ball across the field to Scott Cousins on the left wing. Cousins played the ball over the top for Ofori to run onto and fire home. Just 28 seconds into the second half, Ofori turned provider and delivered a ball into the path of Dale Binns, who scored despite a suspicion of offside. Duncan scored the last in the 67th minute, with Binns creating the chance. The midfielder broke clear, although his shot on goal was deflected onto the post. However, Duncan was on hand to hook the ball home and ensure the Dons' safe passage through.

Posted at 23:30

Saturday 20 December - Greens lose to Basingstoke

The Greens put in another disappointing performance this afternoon as they slipped to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Basingstoke Town. In a forgettable game, the only goal came in the 59th minute when Efon Elad took advantage of a slip in the Hendon defence to drive the ball home. Hendon's best chance fell to new signing Fabian Forde, but he saw his shot on goal blocked by a defender. Hendon will now go into 2004 looking to end the poor home form of the past couple of years.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 20 December - Player news

There were two new faces in the squad against Basingstoke Town this afternoon. Joining on a months loan from Stevenage Borough is midfielder Dean Brennan. Dean will be well known to Hendon supporters as he was an integral part of the Hitchin Town midfield during the past two or three seasons. The second new face is striker Fabian Forde, who was released by Grays Athletic a few days ago. Fabian has also played for Enfield, Chesham United and Crawley Town.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 20 December - Grays game rearranged

The outstanding league game at Grays Athletic has now been arranged for 7.45pm on Tuesday, 20th January 2004.

Posted at 18:25

Saturday 20 December - Volunteers needed

The club are looking for some volunteers to help remove the pitch covers on Saturdays when we have home games. Anyone who Volunteers would be given free admission to the game. If anyone is interested, please call Graham Etchell on 020 8201 9494 between 11am and 4pm Monday to Friday or speak to him on a matchday.

Posted at 18:20

Saturday 20 December - Holiday fixture update

The first team have a busy time during the Christmas and New Year holiday. Starting this afternoon we entertain Basingstoke Town at Claremont Road, kick off is at 3.00pm. On Tuesday evening we travel to Canvey Island in the second round of the Bryco Cup. Kick off at Park Lane is 7.30pm. There is no game on Boxing Day, instead on Saturday 27th December we travel to Harrow Borough in the league, kicking off at 3.00pm. On New Years Day we entertain Thurrock and the kick off time has been confirmed as 3.00pm, and then if we beat Canvey Island we will travel to Bracknell Town in the third round of the Bryco Cup on Saturday 3rd January and that game will also kick off at 3.00pm. If we lose to Canvey we will have no game on the 3rd.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 16 December - Hendon get out of jail

Despite fielding the strongest available side against a very hardworking Potters Bar Town side, Hendon needed two late goals to win tonight's Middlesex Senior Cup tie. Potters Bar took the lead in the 38th minute when Lee Talbot converted a penalty, but Hendon bounced back within two minutes when Eugene Ofori hooked the ball home to equalise. Potters Bar regained the lead eight minutes into the second half when Dave Blower headed home a free kick having been left unmarked. Hendon tried to get back into the game, but the performance was very disappointing. The misery was compounded in the 60th minute when Iain Duncan was sent off for a second caution, and Andre Delisser limped off adding to the ever increasing injury list. Hendon equalised for the second time in the 87th minute when Andy Cook slammed the ball into the net, and a minute into stoppage time, Martin Randall fired home the winner. All in all it was a very poor performance by the Greens, and Potters Bar can count themselves unlucky that they didn't at least take the game into extra time. The reward for the victory is a trip to Northwood in the quarter finals, a game that is likely to take place in February

Posted at 23:30

Saturday 13 December - Hornchurch match called off

Today's game at Hornchurch's Stadium ground has been called off due to waterlogging after the last 48 hours of rain. No new date has currently been set for the match.

Posted at 12:00

Tuesday 09 December - Hamlet put Greens out of London Cup

Hendon's first adventure in the London Senior Cup for some years ended at the first hurdle tonight, as Dulwich Hamlet comfortably beat the home side 3-1. The South Londoners went ahead in just the 9th minute, through Francis Quarm, with the second coming mid-way through the first half with Gavin Dayes netting. Meshach Nugent then put Dulwich 3-0 up with a 36th minute penalty. The Dons' performance did improve in the second half, and it showed in the scoreline with Dale Binns being the only scorer of the half, but it nowhere near enough to claw back the lead built up in the first 45 minutes.

Posted at 22:45

Saturday 06 December - Dons put four past Saints

Hendon put in a commanding second half performance this afternoon at Clarence Park, and ran out 4-0 winners over home side St. Albans City. It took 45 minutes for the Dons to score, Dave Hunt following up an Andre Delisser shot on the rebound sending the Greens into halftime 1-0 up for the third weekend running. However, this time rather than let the lead slip, Hendon stamped their authority on the second half. The second came after 61 minutes, Scott Cousins playing the ball over the top for Andy Cook, who beat the 'keeper in the air to head home. Crace then played the ball in on the 73rd minute, a defender stopping the ball around the penalty spot, only for Dale Binns to slam it home for his first goal of the season. Five minutes later, the Saints misery was complete, when a Delisser cross from the right found Andy Cook unmarked to head the ball home for his second.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 05 December - Dave wins manager of the month

We are delighted to announce that Dave Anderson has won the Manager of the Month award for November, a month in which the club won four out of the five league games played. We congratulate Dave and the coaching staff on the award, and hope that the good form continues.

Posted at 11:00

Friday 05 December - Reduced admission on Tuesday

The admission charges for our London Senior Cup game against Dulwich Hamlet on Tuesday evening have been reduced. The prices will be £5 for adults, and £2 for concessions.

Posted at 10:45

Thursday 04 December - More fixture news

The revised date for our Bryco Cup game at Canvey Island has now been confirmed as Tuesday, 23rd December 2003. The game will kick off at 7.30pm. Should we be victorious then we are likely to travel to Bracknell Town in the following round on Saturday, 3rd January 2004.

One alteration to our league fixtures sees our home game against Braintree Town brought forward to fill in the gap on Saturday, 10th January 2004. The game will kick off as normal at 3.00pm. The kick off for our New Years Day game against Thurrock has not yet been confirmed, while our game at Harrow Borough on Saturday, 27th December 2003 will kick off at 3.00pm.

Posted at 18:00

Thursday 04 December - Mrs Ballheimer

It is with much regret that we bring the news that David Ballheimer's mother died yesterday. As some supporters will be aware she was rushed into hospital ten days ago and David, who is our press officer, has been at her bedside for much of the time. The thoughts of the directors, management, players and everyone else connected with the club are with David at this upsetting time.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 03 December - Cup draw news

The draw for the third round of the Bryco Cup was made this morning, and should we beat Canvey Island in the second round we will travel to Bracknell Town. Meanwhile in the Middlesex Senior Cup, a trip to Northwood awaits in the quarter finals after they beat Staines Town 4-1 last week, and in the London Senior Cup we will travel to Bromley in the quarter finals should we beat Dulwich Hamlet next week.

Posted at 14:00

Wednesday 03 December - Greens lose on penalties

The FA Trophy replay at Kettering last night went all the way, with Hendon losing 5-4 in a penalty shoot out after the game ended 2-2 after extra time. In a pulsating cup tie Kettering took the lead in the 6th minute courtesy of Andy Lodge, but within two minutes Hendon had equalised with Ricci Crace hitting the back of the net. Hendon took the lead in the 28th minute thanks to a deft lob by Eugene Ofori and before half time Crace hit the woodwork as he tried to extend the lead. Both sides had chances in the second half, but it was a sucker punch for Hendon as with literally seconds to go in normal time former loanee striker Paul Fewings bundled the ball home from a corner. Extra time came and went with again both sides having chances to score, and so it was to the penalty shoot out. Both teams one of their first five penalties, but in the first round of sudden death, Richard Graham scored for the Poppies, leaving all the pressure on Andy Cook who was unable to convert his spot kick and so Kettering will go on to play Woking in the next round of the competition.

Posted at 02:45

Tuesday 02 December - Fixture news

Due to their progression in the FA Trophy, our home league match against Ford United on 10th January has been postponed. A new date will be announced in due course.

Posted at 18:00

Monday 01 December - FA Trophy draw

The draw for the third round of the FA Trophy has been made this morning, and should we beat Kettering tomorrow evening, we will entertain Woking on the 10th January at Claremont Road. This is a great incentive to win the replay as it would hopefully mean we have one of our biggest crowds for some time. Therefore it would be great to see as many supporters as possible at Kettering tomorrow to cheer the team on.

Posted at 13:00