News - December 2000

Saturday 30 December - Swifts score six

A Hendon side, containing only two first team players, lost to a similarly weakened Heybridge side today, but by only one goal. The defeat, which put them out of the full members cup, was the first defeat in open play in five years, despite defeats in penalty shootouts. Hendon went into half time 3-1 up, with two goals from Ike Obiji and one from Paul Johnson. However, Heybridge fought back stongly and scored three themselves in the second half, with an own goal from Ronnie Bridge adding to Hendon's total. The stalemate at 4-4 meant extra time, in which Nathan Edwards soon scored to give the Dons the initutive, but Heybridge managed to equalise and then score with two minutes remaining through Joel Rogers.

Posted at 19:30

Tuesday 26 December - Don's derby delight

Hendon followed up Saturday's dismal showing against Grays with a superb win over local rivals Harrow Borough. Hendon made full use of the excellent playing conditions to play the passing game that manager Murphy delights in using. It took 27 minutes for Hendon to finally break the deadlock, Haule crossing from the left flank, for Adekola to nod home from around 4 yards. Harrow had barely recovered before Hendon scored a second, Haule again providing after winning a 50-50 challenge with Harrow 'keeper James Robinson, passing the ball to Adolphe who fired home against his old club into an empty net. Adekola scored the third shortly before half time with a first time drive from the edge of the box, leaving Robinson with no chance. Harrow came out and scored through Derek Payne, but Haule put paid to any chances of a comeback with a delightful chip over Robinson from the edge of the area.

Posted at 18:00

Tuesday 26 December - Saturday swiftly arranged

Hendon will be meeting Heybridge at Scraley Road on Saturday to play their 2nd round Full Members Cup tie, kicking off at 3.00pm.

Posted at 17:45

Tuesday 26 December - Bontcho is in business

Hendon hero Bontcho Guentchev has opened his long-awaited cafe, Striker. Situated 150 yards from West Kensington Underground Station at 6 Charleville Road (left out of the Station and third turning on the right off North End Road - telephone (020) 7385 6676), Striker offers an interesting mix of British cafe staples and authentic Bulgarian specialities.

The chicken soup is nothing like the creamed stuff served in most cafes; this is a broth with large chicken pieces and it has an excellent flavour, as well as being very sustaining. Another native delicacy is a Banitza, which is filo pastry, stuffed with either egg or spinach and feta cheese, deep fried. In Bulgaria, as Bontcho's wife Silvia explained, it is traditional for the Banitza to have little messages placed inside the pastry - a sort of savoury fortune cookie. Baklava makes an excellent dessert, neither too sweet nor too soggy.

Bontcho, who played for Bulgaria when they reached the 1994 World Cup semi-final (he came on as a substitute against Italy), has been in England for almost a decade. After winning the Bulgarian title with Etur, he was transferred with compatriots Iordanov and Ivanov to Sporting Lisbon. From there, he joined Ipswich Town in 1992, leaving in 1996 for a brief spell at Luton Town. He returned to Sofia, playing for the country's most famous club, CSKA, scoring in CSKA's 1998-99 UEFA Cup Second Round defeat against Atletico Madrid.

With his family still in London, based in Cricklewood less than 400 yards from Hendon's Claremont Road ground, he came back to London and joined Hendon in the summer of 1999. He quickly became a favourite of the fans, scoring with a spectacular overhead scissors kick 20 minutes into his home debut (and first start). He was outstanding in the club's run to the second round of last season's FA Cup and came within inches of earning Hendon what would have been a 3rd round tie at Arsenal - Blackpool scored two late goals to win 2-0 after Guentchev had hit the bar and seen another spectacular effort brilliantly saved.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 23 December - Hazleden ensures Gray day for Hendon

A last minute goal from Danny Hazelden won Grays a share of the spoils following a scrappy encounter at The LOOT Stadium today. It took 64 minutes for either team to break the deadlock, with very few chances being created, Davis Haule tapping home Dale Binns' deflected shot near the far post. Ross Pickett was forced to limp off early on after a clash with the Grays 'keeper.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 23 December - Swifts and Dons to meet in 7 days?

A hasty re-arrangement may see Hendon travel to Heybridge to play in the Full Members Cup on 30th December. Although the fixture is not confirmed it is likely to go ahead, and supporters will be told at Harrow on Tuesday. Greensnet and the Greensline will also carry news.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 19 December - Watson out for 6 weeks

Marvyn Watson is expected to be out for up to 6 weeks with a hamstring strain. The injury was suffered in the latter stages of last night's FA Trophy game at Worcester City, when he was forced to pull up after making a tackle.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 19 December - Sad news for Ivor

It is with much regret that we report the death of chairman Ivor Arbiter's mother, who died yesterday morning. Our best wishes go out to Ivor, Adrienne, Joanne and their families.

Posted at 09:45

Monday 18 December - Greens ready for Tiverton

Hendon progressed to the third round of the FA Trophy, where they will host Tiverton Town in January, thanks to an excellent 3-2 win at Worcester City. Worcester took a welcome early lead in only the second minute, when Paul Carty chipped Andy Iga. Just after the break, Davis Haule's cross was chested past his own goalkeeper by Colin Heeley in his 300th game for Worcester. Hendon took the initutive and Ross Pickett found Dale Binns who finished excellently. Pickett himself then scored the third goal, heading over the 'keeper, but Worcester set up a nail-biting finish when Paul Carty scored his second goal, but Hendon held on to the relief of the 11 travelling fans.

Posted at 23:45

Saturday 16 December - Generals outmarshal Dons

A poor first half performance from Hendon saw them three-nil down at half time through goals from Dudley Campbell and Mark Watson, along with a 6 yard lob from Paul Towler over debutant, Paul Newell. At half time, Hendon changed from their blue and black away strip into Chesham's white and blue away kit due to a colour clash in the first half. Ross Pickett pulled one back for the Greens straight after the break, nutmegging Delroy Preddie to finish off a goalmouth scramble, but defender Paul Towler made the game safe for Chesham with a second own goal with around 20 minutes to go. Paul Newell, lucky to still be on the pitch, saved a penalty from Martin Fox late in the game.

Posted at 18:30

Tuesday 12 December - Pitch work to get underway

Sportsturf, the contractors for our pitch, who also prepare the pitches for Watford, Millwall, QPR and Wolves, are hoping to commence work on our pitch tomorrow morning. They are intending to handroll the pitch to help bring the water up to the surface, so that it can then be pumped off. Their aim is to get the pitch playable again for the Grays Athletic fixture on 23th December.

Meanwhile, details for the FA Trophy replay at Worcester City have been confirmed. The match will take place on Monday, 18th December, and will kick off at 7.45pm. It has also been confirmed that our Boxing Day game at Harrow Borough will kick off at 3.00pm. We are still awaiting confirmation of the kick off time for the Heybridge Swifts game on New Years Day.

The club would like to thank all those supporters who were able to make the trip to St Albans City last night, despite the relative short notice of the change of venue which has enabled the contractors to start work on the pitch. It was unfortunate that the decision was made too late to make the local press, although the change of venue was advertised both on Greensnet and the Greensline. The club would like to remind supporters that it is always worth checking one or both of them as they will carry news of pitch inspections, postponements and venue changes.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 11 December - First replay on Monday

Hendon's first replay of the season will be at Worcester City on Monday after tonights 1-1 draw in the FA Trophy 2nd Round at St. Albans' Clarence Park. Hendon started slowly in their first game in more than 3 weeks and allowed Worcester to take the lead through Mark Owen with a volley from the far post. The Greens however performed well once Binns was brought onto the pitch in the second half, and it didn't take long for him to equalise, rounding the goalkeeper following excellent build uPlay from Soloman and Haule. Chances countinued to be produced by both sides late into the game, with Kelly clearing off the Don's line and Adekola being denied by Danny McDonnell.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 11 December - Greens to play tonight

Tonights "home" game with Worcester City at St. Albans will be played tonight, kicking off at 7.45.

Posted at 14:00

Saturday 09 December - Dulwich postponed

Today's league match with Dulwich Hamlet has been postponed, leaving Hendon with only two league games played since October 06th. The club, however, are confident of the chances of playing on Monday at Clarence Park, hopefully the first game since 18th November for the Greens. Please note that the entry and programme prices for this game will be the same as at the LOOT Stadium.

Posted at 12:00

Thursday 07 December - Hendon switch tie to Saints

Hendon have switched their FA Trophy tie with Worcester City to Clarence Park, St. Albans City's ground. The match will still kick off at 7.45pm.

Posted at 14:00

Wednesday 06 December - League fixtures rescheduled

All outstanding league fixtures now have dates. The earliest will be the "away" game with Enfield at Boreham Wood on Wednesday 17th January, followed on Monday 20th February with the fixture at Hampton & Richmond Borough. On Monday 06th and 13th March respectively Hendon will host Basingstoke Town and Farnborough Town.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 04 December - Rain rules at the Loot Stadium

Hendon's FA Umbro Trophy tie at home to Worcester City fell victim to the incessant rain which has blighted the United Kingdom in the past two months. There was water lying on the pitch as late as Thursday and the water table is so full that no amount of forking saw it diminish. The inspection on Friday evening was a mere formality and the club received the FA's blessing to make a second attempt to play the tie on Wednesday, rather than Hendon's normal Monday midweek date.

"It is so frustrating isn't it," said manager Frank Murphy. "The groundstaff can't get any equipment onto the pitch it is so wet and they are standing on boards to level the pitch and fork it. I am trying to keep the players positive."

The postponement situation is reaching crisis proportions everywhere at the club as there has now been 18 games called off since the Under-15s recorded a 13-1 victory over Norsemen on 19 November.

There was also frustration for the reserves. Their game at North Greenford United was postponed on Saturday morning, just two hours after the pitch had been past fit.. It was their 5th consecutive posponement. Gary McCann is trying to make a comeback following his major knee surgery at the end of last season. but the reserves have not played since 4 November. Club physio Gary Anderson said, "Gary has been ready to try out his knee for a month now, but he cannot get a game."

McCann said, "This is not only frustrating but also very depressing. I have worked hard to get myself ready, but I need to have a game to prove to myself that I am back."

Clitterhouse Playing Fields have suffered as much as the pitch at LOOT Stadium with Hendon able to stage only 1 of 11 scheduled fixtures on the pitches there since the end of October. All youth matches were also called off this week, the 4th time this has happened in 5 weeks.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 04 December - More cup news

Should Hendon beat Worcester City in the FA Trophy, they will host Tiverton Town in the third round, due to be played on 13th January 2001. Meanwhile, the Ryman League Cup fixture with Braintree Town has been rearranged for Monday 11th December, kicking off at 7.45, when the winners will go through to host Chesham United.

Posted at 09:55

Friday 01 December - Tomorrow's game postponed

Tomorrow's match against Worcester City has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. The game has been rearranged for Wednesday, 6th December with a 7.45pm kick off. As a consequence of this the Full Members Cup tie at Heybridge Swifts on Tuesday night has been postponed.

Posted at 19:00