News - November 2016

Tuesday 29 November - Greens beaten at Harlow

Goals towards the end of each half were enough to consign the first team to a 2-0 defeat at Harlow Town this evening.

Jared Small netted the first on the stroke of half time, before Leon Antoine completed the scoring with five minutes to go.

Posted at 21:43

Tuesday 29 November - Terry Hutchinson

It is with sadness that we have learnt of the recent passing of former player Terry Hutchinson, who was part of the squad in the mid-70s.

Terry joined the club in 1976 and made his debut in a 2-1 defeat to Sutton United at Claremont Road. He went on to make 38 appearances, although he didn't score any goals.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Terry's family and friends at this very sad time.

Posted at 19:52

Tuesday 29 November - Josh Passley joins the squad

Gary McCann has made a further addition to the squad ahead of tonight's game at Harlow Town in the shape of defender Josh Passley.

The 22 year old was released by Dagenham & Redbridge at the end of last season having come through the youth set-up at Fulham, during which time he had loan spells at Shrewsbury Town and Portsmouth. He made 46 appearances for the Daggers last season, scoring two goals, and made 6 appearances for Shrewsbury and 12 for Portsmouth.

Josh has gone straight into the matchday squad for tonight's game and we hope that he enjoys his time with us.

Posted at 19:25

Monday 28 November - Squad and injury update

The website has spoken with Gary McCann this afternoon to get a full update on the squad particularly in terms of departures and injuries.

All the new arrivals have previously been reported on the website, with goalkeepers Darren Behcet and Andrew McCorkell, defenders Jamie Smith and Brad Hewitt, and wide man Jerome Federico all playing an important part in our recent improved run of form and we are delighted to have them as part of our squad. The one other of the most recent arrivals, Xavier Comas, has returned to Kings Langley, but he will remain registered with us in case of an emergency.

Those supporters who are on twitter will already be aware that both Finbarr Robins and Mayowa Balogun have left the club over the past few days. Both players have moved on in search of more regular football and we thank them both for their efforts during their time with us, and we wish them well for the future.

Three other players who have parted company with the club in recent weeks are Dale Binns, Aaron Morgan and Brendan Norris. Dale has unfortunately had to leave due to a knee injury that has left him no longer able to play regularly. Aaron has struggled with his fitness due to not being a regular part of the squad, and so he has also moved on in search of regular football, whilst Brendan is now playing for Fleet Town, having also had short spells with Farnborough and Winchester City. Again we thank all three players for their efforts with good wishes for the future.

Finally on the departures, Alfie Young, who was released a couple of weeks ago, has signed for Wingate & Finchley.

Leo Donnellan's loan from Dagenham & Redbridge ends tomorrow, and discussions will be had as to whether the loan is extended, whilst Billy Collings has returned to Reading following his month between the sticks.

On the injury front, Kevin Maclaren is now fit and is just in need of some match time to regain his match fitness, whilst Dave Diedhiou should be available again very soon. Meanwhile Berkley Laurencin has fractured a toe and will remain out of action for a few weeks.

Elliott Brathwaite, who has been out injured since August 2015, has been back in full training over the past month, and we are hopeful that he will start getting some full match time very soon, whilst Chris Seeby's scans have shown that there is no damage to his knee, and that it is an impact injury. He hopes to be back in training in the next couple of weeks.

Finally, in order to keep them match fit, Andre Da Costa, Channing Campbell-Young and Gradi Milenge are all dual registered with Northwood, Charlie Kuehn is dual registered with Edgware Town, whilst Oliver Achille is playing for John Creith's U18 side.

Posted at 18:31

Monday 28 November - Happy Gary reflects on Bognor victory

Hendon manager Gary McCann was a happy man when he reflected on the victory at Bognor Regis Town. "It was a perfect weekend for me and, most importantly, a very happy trip home on Saturday evening.

"Bognor is a venue we had not done well at ever since they came back to the Ryman Premier Division - four defeats in four trips, two goals for, 14 against - but all of the 14 players involved were excellent.

"In particular, the back four of Arthur Lee and Brad Hewitt in the middle, Jamie Smith and Ollie Sprague outside them, Andrew McCorkell (a debutant we only signed on Thursday) behind and Casey Maclaren in front, were outstanding.

"There is a togetherness about us which started at Leiston, and is continuing to grow. We weren't knocked back by the draw with Canvey Island because we had the huge positive of our first League clean sheet - and today was the second.

"Our last four League games have brought us eight points - two wins and two draws - and we played the top three teams in the division in that run.

"In our away games so far this season, we have picked up 17 points, and many teams would be happy with that total in the whole season. But we do need to be better at home.

"We have struggled at our new home, but we are getting to know it better. Still we have lost only twice in seven games here and I am sure will come very soon."

Posted at 14:50

Sunday 27 November - Greens pick up another good win

The first team continued their recent improved league form with a 2-0 win at Bognor Regis Town yesterday afternoon. This means that the Greens have taken 7 points from games against three of the current title challengers during November - following the draw against Havant & Waterlooville, and the win at Leiston.

The goals came from Keagan Cole in the 38th minute and Luke Tingey late in the second half, whilst the home side were reduced to ten men late on when Calvin Davies was sent off.

Next for the Greens is a trip to Harlow Town on Tuesday evening - kick off 7:45pm. Harlow won 3-1 at Havant & Waterlooville in the FA Trophy yesterday.

Posted at 17:31

Sunday 27 November - Andrew McCorkell adds to keeper options

As supporters who have seen yesterday's team will be aware, we had a new face in goal, in the form of Andrew McCorkell.

Andrew has joined us on dual registration from Chesham United, and was formerly with Milton Keynes Dons. Whilst with MK Dons he was called up to the Northern Ireland U19 squad.

Posted at 17:18

Thursday 24 November - McCann delighted with Leiston and Canvey games

Gary McCann had reasons to be cheerful after picking up four points against Leiston and Canvey Island over the past few days.

After the 3–2 defeat of high-flying Leiston, he said, "This was a really good performance by everyone involved. The conditions were very difficult, but we coped with them superbly.

"We brought in three new players and they all made telling contributions, Jamie Smith at right-back, Brad Hewitt in the middle of defence and Darren Behcet in goal. We had a solidity in defence that hasn't always been there this season.

"We scored a magnificent opening goal through Ollie Sprague and we were good value for our lead for most of the first half.

"I was particularly pleased by the way we reacted after conceding both goals. Leiston really came at us after equalising and I was pleased to hear the half-time whistle.

"Then, after we had gone behind, we hit back quickly and drew level. I am sure, a few weeks ago, we would not have reacted as well as we did in the face of this adversity.

"Our winning goal was the sort of luck we hadn’t always had this season, but we then had to defend very well as Leiston tried to get another equaliser.

After the draw with Canvey Island, Gary was philosophical when he noted, "Yes it was a point and I would much rather it had been three. But there were positives to take out of the game.

"Our defending was much better and there were very few clear cut chances at either end. I think Niko's first half one might have been the best of the game, even though they hit the post.

"In truth, I don't think either team really did enough to merit winning the game. It would be fair to say that both teams were more committed to avoid losing than anything else.

"We were solid at the back and I stressed to the team after the Leiston game that we hadn't yet kept a clean sheet in the League. Keagan Cole and Casey Maclaren were excellent in protecting the back four, while Brad Hewitt gave Arthur Lee very good support.

"It is often said that you shouldn't change a winning team. I decided not to make a couple of changes, but we did look a little weary after Saturday and maybe a couple of fresher legs would have helped.

"The way our opposition set out did limit a little of our attacking options, but Canvey played in a very different way to Leiston. Still we now have a three-match unbeaten run to build on."

Posted at 12:59

Thursday 24 November - Coach to Bognor Regis

We apologise for the short notice, but we can now confirm we will be running a coach to Bognor Regis Town for our league game on Saturday - seats are priced at £12 as normal.

If you would like to travel bookings must be made no later than 10am tomorrow (Friday) by emailing Details of the pick up point and time will be sent to you upon confirmation of your booking.

Unfortunately other commitments mean that we will not be able to accept bookings sent after the 10am deadline tomorrow as we will not be able to check email after this time until late on Sunday evening.

Posted at 12:57

Tuesday 22 November - Greens play out goalless draw

The first team played out a goalless draw with Canvey Island this evening, to secure their first league clean sheet of the season.

Both sides had chances to score, in the first half Niko Muir shot wide after Keagan Cole had beaten three challenges to play the ball into Muir's path, whilst Canvey had one chance fly narrowly wide of the post.

The second half saw both sides struggle to find the target, but the Greens were denied what appeared to be a nailed on penalty after Jerome Federico was fouled in the box by John Mbamarah, but the officials ruled that there had not been any offence. Shortly afterwards Muir curled an effort over from 20 yards, whilst both sides had chances cleared off the line - the Greens coming from a glancing header from Bradley Hewitt.

Next up is a trip to Bognor Regis Town on Saturday afternoon. Kick off at Nyewood Lane is at 3:00pm.

Posted at 23:04

Tuesday 22 November - Middlesex Senior Cup opponents

Our Middlesex Senior Cup opponents in the quarter finals will be Enfield Town, who beat Barnet 6-5 on penalties last night after a 3-3 draw.

The tie is at Enfield, and is provisionally scheduled for Tuesday 17th January.

Posted at 22:55

Saturday 19 November - Greens stun high flying Leiston

The first team gained revenge for their 5-0 FA Trophy thrashing at Leiston by coming away with all three points in a 3-2 victory in this afternoons league fixture.

The Greens put in a superb team performance throughout the whole 90 minutes, and took the lead in the 14th minute when Oliver Sprague drove home a loose ball from the edge of the area after Karl Oliyide had hit the bar. The home side equalised in the 43rd minute through Matt Blake, and the hosts took the lead in the 50th minute thanks to Jack Ainsley.

The reaction from the Greens was outstanding and they were back on level terms in the 56th minute when Niko Muir slammed home the ball when the home defence failed to deal with a low cross from Keagan Cole.

The winner came two minutes from the end of normal time when Jacob Marsden in the home goal let another low cross, this time from Leo Donnellan, through his grasp, enabling Niko Muir to ensure the ball rolled into the net.

Gary McCann will be keen to ensure that the squad build on this performance on Tuesday evening when they entertain Canvey Island at SJP, kick off 7:45pm.

Posted at 20:55

Saturday 19 November - Gary adds four to squad

Gary McCann made four additions to the squad ahead of today's game at Leiston. Two goalkeepers have joined in the form of the experienced Darren Behcet from Thurrock and Xavier Comas from Kings Langley. Darren has played against us a number of times, and has also played for a number of other clubs including Maldon & Tiptree, Cray Wanderers, AFC Hornchurch, Sutton United and Yeovil Town having started his career with West Ham United, whilst Xavier has also been with Hemel Hempstead Town.

Two defenders have also joined, both on dual registration terms. Joining from Slough Town is 28 year old Bradley Hewitt, who is another to have played against us in the past, having previously been with Northwood, Wingate & Finchley and Beaconsfield SYCOB. Finally, joining from Sutton United is 18 year old Jamie Smith.

We welcome all four players to the club and hope they enjoy their time with us.

Posted at 20:36

Friday 18 November - Middlesex Senior Cup draw

The draw for the quarter finals of the Middlesex Senior Cup has been made, and we have been drawn away to Barnet or Enfield Town. They play their outstanding 2nd round tie on Monday evening. The quarter final is due to be played in the week commencing 16th January.

The winners of our quarter final will then be at home to Harrow Borough or Wealdstone.

The other half of the draw sees Edgware Town face Hampton & Richmond Borough, the winners of which will be at home to either Ashford Town (Middlesex) or Hanworth Villa.

Posted at 20:35

Thursday 17 November - Early kick off on New Years Eve

It has been confirmed today that our New Years Eve game at Staines Town will kick off at the earlier time of 1:00pm.

Posted at 18:38

Wednesday 16 November - Alfie Young departs

The club have announced today that young central defender Alfie Young has left the club. The website team do not have information as to where he is going at the current time.

Posted at 13:48

Wednesday 16 November - Coach bookings for Leiston

We are taking coach bookings for Saturday's game at Leiston, with seats priced at £12 as usual.

To secure your seat, please email us on, and you will be given the departure place and time upon receipt of your booking.

All bookings must be made by 6pm on Friday.

Posted at 11:44

Tuesday 15 November - Greens knock out cup holders

Hendon returned to winning ways with a hard fought 2-1 win over Middlesex Senior Cup holders Northwood to reach the quarter-finals.

The Greens took the lead in the 42nd minute through Kezie Ibe, only to see James Burgess equalise just before half time.

Jerome Federico then scored what turned out to be the winner two minutes into the second half.

The draw for the quarter-finals is yet to be made, but our opponents will come from the following clubs : Ashford Town (Middlesex), Barnet or Enfield Town, Edgware Town, Hampton & Richmond Borough, Hanworth Villa, Harrow Borough and Wealdstone.

Posted at 21:52

Tuesday 15 November - Allan Wyatt

We have just learned that former player Allan Wyatt died recently. There won't be many fans who remember him playing, as he made his debut on 20 March 1958. For three seasons, Allan, who was either a centre-forward or right wing, barely played - though he did score for the Greens in the Middlesex Charity Cup final defeat to Finchley in September 1958, a match held over from the previous season. In those three seasons, he played just seven first-team matches, but did score three goals.

In the 1960-61, he was a semi-regular in almost half of the matches, 14 Athenian League and six cup ties, and he managed nine goals in that time, including a double away to Hayes and a hat-trick at Claremont Road against Finchley. After leaving Hendon, he spent some seasons at Harrow Borough, where he played and later managed the club. In his Hendon career, he played 27 times and bagged 12 goals, a very good scoring rate.

Wyatt was also a good club cricketer and played for many years at Southgate CC. In the 1980s he moved to New Milton on the south coast, where he captained the local cricket club and opened a couple of florists shops.

Another former player has been in touch with the club, in happier circumstances. Tony Hall, a left-half or left-back, was just 17 years old when he played three times for the Greens in the 1959–60 season, coincidentally with Wyatt in a 2-0 Athenian League defeat against Hitchin (it was Hall's second appearance, his first being a 6-0 Middlesex Charity Cup defeat at Enfield and the last a 1-1 League draw away against Hayes). He now lives in Australia, as he has done for more than 50 years, and he sends his best wishes to the club, following us thanks to friends still in England.

(David Ballheimer)

Posted at 20:15

Tuesday 15 November - New date for Bognor home game

Our outstanding home game against Bognor Regis Town has been rescheduled for Tuesday 10th January, kick off 7:45pm at Silver Jubilee Park.

Posted at 20:11

Saturday 12 November - No London Senior Cup run this season

The first team's London Senior Cup hopes fell at the first hurdle as they were beaten 1-0 by Metropolitan Police at a wet Imber Court.

The first half was a largely even affair with chances at a premium, although Billy Collings was forced into a superb save just before half time from a free kick.

The second period saw the Greens in the acendancy but they were unable to turn their possession into goals, and were punished when the home side bundled the ball home from close range in the 73rd minute.

As the game moved into stoppage time, Finbarr Robins was bundled over in the box and a penalty was awarded. Robins himself took responsibility for the spot kick, but his effort was comfortably saved by Nathan Baxter and the home side progressed into the quarter finals of the competition.

Posted at 18:49

Wednesday 09 November - Gary pleased with Havant point

Gary McCann was really pleased that the Greens' run of three bad defeats - on the back of unsatisfactory performances - came to an end with the draw against high-flying Havant & Waterlooville.

He said, "I am delighted that we came away with a point from one of the top teams. We made a few changes and the players did really well, despite conceding that early goal, which was disappointing for us.

"After such a difficult start, we could have felt sorry for ourselves - which we have done in recent games - and taken a hiding. But, as the game went on we grew into it and I can't remember our goalkeeper having too much do. That said, I still was very pleased to go in at half-time with only a one goal deficit.

"We did much better in the second half and when we got the equaliser, it was something which we deserved. We had a couple of chances after that goal, but Havant came on strong at the end and could have snatched it at the death.

"I was delighted that we were able to hang on for the draw. It would have been a real blow to us if having come back so well to make it 1-1 and end up with nothing from the game.

"We have to look at the positives and we can take confidence from the way that we played and the way that we reacted. It seemed that the goal actually heightened our togetherness and the response was assured.

"It wasn't one of our most vintage performances, but we showed much better resilience than in recent games.

"We worked on things on Thursday and the players really took them on board. They acquitted themselves really well in difficult circumstances."

Posted at 18:47

Wednesday 09 November - Floodlights up and running

We are pleased that the issue with the floodlights at Silver Jubilee Park has been fixed and they are working fine for Edgware's county cup tie against Staines Town this evening.

We look forward to seeing everyone at SJP next Tuesday for our cup tie against Northwood - kick off 7:45pm, or indeed before that at Metropolitan Police on Saturday - kick off 2:00pm.

Posted at 18:47

Wednesday 09 November - Northwood game now next week

Our Middlesex Senior Cup tie against Northwood will now be played on Tuesday 15th November at SJP, kick off 7:45pm.

This in turn means that our home game against Bognor Regis Town has been postponed and will now take place in the new year.

Posted at 12:15

Tuesday 08 November - Northwood game postponed due to electrical problem

Tonight's Middlesex Senior Cup game against Northwood has been postponed due to an electrical problem at Silver Jubilee Park. We apologise to anyone who may have made an unnecessary journey this evening.

A new date for the game will be advised as soon as it has been arranged.

Our next game is on Saturday afternoon when we travel to Metropolitan Police in the London Senior Cup - kick off at the earlier than usual time of 2:00pm.

Posted at 17:56

Saturday 05 November - Improved performance secures point

The first team put in a much improved performance this afternoon as they drew 1-1 with high flying Havant & Waterlooville at a chilly Silver Jubilee Park this afternoon.

The game started in the worst possible way for the Greens as the visitors took a 4th minute lead through Matt Paterson. However, unlike the past two games, when one goal lead to more, this time the Greens held firm despite the Hawks being by far the better side in the first half.

The second half was a more even affair, and as the game went on, the Greens gained more control and deservedly equalised with ten minutes to when Arthur Lee finished off a fine set piece move that also involved Sam Murphy and Ollie Sprague.

It's a return to cup action on Tuesday night as Northwood visit SJP in the Middlesex Senior Cup. Kick off is at 7:45pm.

Posted at 19:25

Friday 04 November - Gary promises changes

Gary McCann's patience with the squad is close to running out and after the 4-1 defeat at home to Kingstonian, he said, "We were not good enough. In all of the last three matches we deserved to lose by four or five every time.

"The things that I said about the squad and their mental toughness on Saturday can be repeated here. Yes, we had to make a handful of changes, but some of them were enforced because of injury. But there was a lack of leadership and communication which I will have to address.

"We are a very young squad, but they need to give me more than effort and commitment. We were much better in the second half, and I suppose it is a positive that we didn't fold up our tents.

"However, we looked a beaten team the moment they scored - and they had missed a number of very good chances before the goal came. And this all happened after we had started the game reasonably well.

"It is evident to me and most that we will need to overhaul the squad. What I have seen in the past three games is simply not acceptable. I brought in three players for the game yesterday and they acquitted themselves well, but more additions are needed.

"We have reached rock bottom and I can look upon it as a positive only if it gives us the solid, firm base from which to build upwards."

Posted at 17:14

Tuesday 01 November - Hendon lose it in mad six minutes

The first team slipped to another disappointing defeat as they were beaten 4-1 by Kingstonian in a game where three goals in six first half minutes were decisive as to where the points went.

Kingstonian were the better side in the opening exchanges, and it was no surprise when they took the lead through Joe Turner in the 26th minute. Four minutes later Aaron Lamont doubled the lead with a superb strike, before former Green Lee O'Leary made it 3-0 a minute later as the Greens defending was very disappointing.

The second half saw a better performance from the home side, but it was too little too late. Yousseff Bamba made it 4-0 in the 76th minute, before Niko Muir scored a consolation with five minutes to go.

Another tough test awaits on Saturday as Havant & Waterlooville visit in another league fixture, kick off at 3:00pm.

Posted at 22:42

Tuesday 01 November - Three join the squad

Gary McCann added three players to the squad ahead of tonight's game against Kingstonian, one of whom is a returnee to the club.

Returning is Jerome Federico, who has spent this season at Metropolitan Police after leaving Hampton & Richmond Borough in the summer. He made 40 appearances for us in his first spell, scoring one goal.

Joining from Billericay Town is midfielder Channing Campbell-Young, who was at Bolton Wanderers last season, whilst joining on loan from Dagenham & Redbridge is Leo Donnellan, son of one of the Donnellan brothers who played for us a number of years ago.

Posted at 22:36

Tuesday 01 November - Gary reacts to FA Trophy exit

Gary McCann admitted that the game against Leiston in the FA Trophy was "A very tough loss to take".

He went on to add, "We started well and, for 20-25 mintues, were were excellent in all areas of the pitch. We didn’t create as many openings as we had against Worthing last Saturday, but we did create some. Spencer McCall had a great chance and there were a couple of others where we took the wrong option.

"But, from the minute they scored their first goal, and it was a very poor one defensively on our part, we looked like a beaten team. Losing Casey was very disappointing, and we also had to replace Chris Seeby - who had been injured in a challenge 15 minutes earlier - at half-time.

"I thought we had weathered the storm leading up to half-time, but we gave away two more bad goals in just over a minute - admittedly Leiston will call the second goal a fantastic piece of skill, we should have defended the first ball better. That said, I don't think we deserved to be 3-0 down at half-time.

"We put plenty into the game in the 60 minutes with 10 men, but we rather lack the mental resilience to cope with adversity. We are too reliant on one or two players for strength and game management, both mentally and physically.

"We simple are lacking the mental strength of men. Emotionally, you can be a man at 18 or 19 - such as Charlie Goode - but you can also be lacking this quality at the age of 35.

"I am going to have to review my squad and make changes where necessary. After looking so good against Worthing, it was so disappointing that we came up so short at Burgess Hill and Leiston in the two games that followed."

Posted at 13:19

Tuesday 01 November - New date for Billericay game

Our home game against Billericay Town will now be played on Tuesday 20th December, kick off 7:45pm.

Posted at 13:18