News - November 2005

Wednesday 30 November - Tonight's reserve game postponed

Tonight's reserve team game at Berkhamsted Town has been postponed and will be rearranged later in the season.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 28 November - Under 15s in controversial defeat

The under 15s lost out in controversial circumstances yesterday with a 6-5 defeat at Lancaster Diamonds. After taking the lead through Frankie Heno, the Greens slipped to a 3-1 deficit by half time as the Diamonds took control of the game. Hendon then made a great comeback with three goals in 14 minutes courtesy of Charlie Benson, Will Mabbutt and Matthew Hornblow to regain the lead. Lancaster equalised with twelve minutes to go before John O'Driscoll restored Hendon's lead almost immediately. With five minutes to go Lancaster scored a dubious equaliser and then two minutes into stoppage time they scored the winner from a controversial free kick much to the disappointment of joint-manager Graham Bourne who said "I think we were robbed today. My man of the match was Carl Chiagoro."

Posted at 10:00

Monday 28 November - Under 13s back to winning ways

The under 13s bounced back from their county cup defeat last weekend with a solid hardworking performance as they beat North Greenford United 4-3 in an enthralling game. After North Greenford had taken an early lead, the Greens hit back with two goals in a minute through Ryan Brennan and Nassir Elmi. North Greenford pulled a goal back to equalise at 2-2 soon afterwards, but then a quick fire brace of goals from Dean Rosenthal took Hendon into a 4-2 lead at half time. North Greenford were given a lifeline when a Hendon defender turned the ball into his own net, but the Greens worked hard to hold on to their advantage and ultimately win the game. Manager John Creith was delighted with the performance and named captain for the day Ryan Brennan as his man of the match.

Posted at 09:55

Monday 28 November - O'Brien signs on

Hendon have signed striker Blaise O'Brien from Hillingdon Borough on a long term agreement today. Blaise has been a prolific goalscorer for Hillingdon over the past two or three years, scoring more than 50 goals last season, and 15 already this season. We would like to thank Hillingdon Borough for their co-operation and hard work they have put into the agreement. We also welcome Blaise to the club, and hope that he enjoys his time with us.

Posted at 09:50

Saturday 26 November - Under 18s win by odd goal in eleven

The under 18s eventually ran out winners 6-5 against Enfield Reserves this afternoon despite being behind on four seperate occasions. After Enfield had taken the lead in the 15th minute, Stephan Chambers-Bignall equalised six minutes later. By the half hour mark Enfield were 3-1 ahead, but a minute later Eddy Mohammed pulled a goal back, before scoring his second of the afternoon to make the half time score 3-3. Enfield regained the lead in the 63rd minute, but Ronald Adjekwei equalised once again four minutes later. Enfield went 5-4 ahead three minutes later, but Adjekwei equalised yet again in the 78th minute. The final goal came seven minutes from time when Eddy Mohammed converted a spot kick to complete his hat-trick after Chad Griffiths was fouled. There was time for Enfield to miss a penalty of their own, but the Greens were able to hold on for the win.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 25 November - Kids go free for league cup

We have agreed with AFC Wimbledon this morning that children will be admitted free to the forthcoming League Cup tie on Tuesday 20th December as long as they are accompanied by a full paying adult. Youngsters attending the game should collect a voucher from the club shop at the Margate home game. Without one, you won't get free entry. This promotion is only for the league cup tie. Entry for kids for the league game will be £2.00

Posted at 18:00

Friday 25 November - Under 18s out of Westview Cup

The Under 18s were knocked out of the Westview Youth Cup on Wednesday night as they lost 2-0 to Redbridge at Claremont Road. The goals came midway through each half.

Posted at 17:45

Tuesday 22 November - Greens lose to ten man Swans again

For the second time this season, Hendon lost to a ten man Staines Town side, this time losing 2-0 at a foggy Wheatsheaf Lane, despite playing against ten men for 83 minutes! Staines took the lead in the 2nd minute when Jermaine Hunter finished off a fine counter attacking move. However five minutes later they were reduced to ten men when Jon McDonald was dismissed for fouling Ricci Crace as he was clear on goal. Unfortunately Jeff Campbell fired the resultant free kick over the bar. The Greens then struggled to find a way through a resolute and hard working Staines side, their best chance falling late on to James Parker who saw his fierce shot very well saved by Shaun Allaway. The second Staines goal came in the 78th minute when Michael Currie capitalised on a defensive error to score. It was a deserved defeat for the Greens, who really should have been able to cause the ten men more problems.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 22 November - Leach departs, two reserves sign on

The Greens' preparation for tonight's game was hindered as Marc Leach was recalled from loan by Yeading. However, two youngsters from the reserves have been signed on first team forms and both were named on the bench this evening. The two players are defender Chad Griffiths, who has been an integral part of the under 18 side as well, and front man Daniel Edwards, who went on to make his debut this evening.

Posted at 22:45

Monday 21 November - Westview Youth Cup on Wednesday

The under 18s are in action on Wednesday evening as they entertain Redbridge in the second round of the Westview Youth Cup. Kick off at Claremont Road will be at 7.45pm and all are welcome to attend.

Posted at 10:00

Sunday 20 November - Youth team round-up

The under 18s continued their good league form yesterday afternoon with a 4-1 win at Hanworth Villa Reserves. Stephan Chambers-Bignall led the scoring with a hat-trick. It was less good news this morning as both the under 15s and under 13s slipped out of their respective county cups. The under 15s lost 12-0 to Headstone Manor A, and had it not been for keeper Joe Maloney it could have been a lot more, whilst the under 13s were beaten 4-1 by a physical Manor Youth side despite taking the lead early on through Damilola Thomas. More detailed reports can be found on the relevant team pages as usual.

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 19 November - Crace and Cooper strike for Hendon

Hendon came back from a goal down against Harrow Borough this afternoon to win 2-1 at Claremont Road. Harrow took the lead in the 18th minute when Romain LeRoux fired the ball home, but two minutes before the break, Ricci Crace pulled a goal back with a fierce shot. Harrow had a goal disallowed for handball early in the second half before Mark Cooper beat the Harrow keeper to the ball to head home what turned out to be the winner. Ross Pickett had a penalty saved whilst Harrow missed a clear chance to equalise in the dying minutes.

Posted at 18:45

Friday 18 November - Reduced entry for Daggers game

Entry prices for the Dagenham & Redbridge London Senior Cup tie on Wednesday 7th December have been reduced. Admission will cost £5.00 for adults and £2.00 for concessions.

Posted at 18:00

Friday 18 November - Fixture Update

The home game against East Thurrock United will now take place on Tuesday 24th January, kicking off as normal at 7.45pm. It has also been confirmed that there will be no game on Saturday 26th November.

Posted at 17:45

Thursday 17 November - Reserves lose again

The reserves slipped to a 2-1 defeat at Farnborough Town last night despite putting in a decent performance. The home side took the lead early on and doubled their lead with two minutes to go before Danny Edwards scored a consolation in the final minute.

Team : Dave King, Marvyn Watson, Danny Murphy, Conor Carroll, Joel Bevis, Adilson Lopes, James Rugby, John Mighty, James Wiseman, Jimmy Froud, Danny Edwards. Used subs : Fipho Bower, Otis Kingsley, Martin Prendergass. Unused sub : Gary Anderson.

Posted at 18:00

Thursday 17 November - Youth team round up

Last night the under 18s went out of their county cup at the first hurdle, losing 3-1 to Wealdstone. Stephan Chambers-Bignall was on the scoresheet. Previously, on Saturday afternoon they ran out 10-0 winners in their divisional cup against Puma 2000 Reserves. Leading the way with the goals were Ronald Adjekwei with 5 and Franklyn Morris marking his debut at that level with a hat-trick. On Sunday morning the under 13s continued their winning run with a 3-0 win over Old Isleworthians B with leading scorer Nasser Elmi amongst the goals. It wasn't such good news for the under 15s who lost 8-1 to league leaders Pinner Albion A, Matthew Hornblow scoring their goal.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 14 November - Middlesex Senior Cup opponents known

According to the Isthmian League website, Wealdstone beat holders Yeading 1-0 this evening in the first round of the Middlesex Senior Cup. This means that the Greens will entertain the Stones on Tuesday 13th December at 7.45pm at Claremont Road in the second round.

Posted at 22:30

Saturday 12 November - East Thurrock game postponed

Our home league game against East Thurrock United due to be played on Saturday 26th November has been postponed. This is because East Thurrock will be playing in the FA Trophy following their 2-1 win over Leyton this afternoon. Should any other fixture be rearranged for this date we will let you know straight away.

Posted at 18:45

Thursday 10 November - It's a Wombling cup draw

The draw for the fourth round of the Westview Cup sees the Greens travel to AFC Wimbledon. The game is expected to take place on Tuesday 20th December and this will be confirmed in due course. This means that the two sides meet for a second time just ten days after the league game.

Posted at 15:00

Tuesday 08 November - Greens progress after extra time

Hendon eventually progressed into the fourth round of the Westview (Isthmian League) Cup this evening, beating a good Brook House side 2-1 after extra time. After a goalless first half, in which the Greens had the lions share of possession, the home side took the lead when Jerome Pereira scored from a rebound after Dave King made a good save. Just as it looked as though that was enough to win the tie, Mark Cooper popped up in the third minute of stoppage time to equalise. The Greens controlled extra time and were rewarded in the 97th minute when Dave Hunt scored his third goal in three games, a goal that turned out to be the winner. The draw for the next round is made on Thursday morning.

Posted at 23:30

Tuesday 08 November - London Senior Cup date set

The date for our London Senior Cup tie against Dagenham & Redbridge has been set and the game will take place at Claremont Road on Wednesday 7th December. Kick off will be at 7.45pm.

Posted at 10:45

Tuesday 08 November - Reserve fixture alterations

Tomorrow night's reserve team home game against Salisbury City has been postponed as the Wiltshire side are currently abroad on a team break. Meanwhile, the outstanding home game against Harrow Borough will now be played on Wednesday 18th January 2006 at 7.45pm.

Posted at 10:30

Tuesday 08 November - Rene injury update

Gary McCann confirmed last night that Rene Street fractured his ankle at Slough on Saturday afternoon and is expected to be out for around six weeks or so. We are sure that all supporters will join us in wishing René all the best for a speedy recovery.

Posted at 10:15

Monday 07 November - Matthews moves on

Young defender Billy Matthews, who made 6 appearances this season, has been released and has signed for Northwood. We thank Billy for his efforts since he joined us in the summer, and wish him well for the future as he continues to develop his career.

Posted at 18:30

Monday 07 November - Man of the match voting scrapped

We regret to announce that we have scrapped the Greensnet Man of the Match awards with immediate effect. This is due to the fact that we have been unable to find a system that prevents multiple voting, and unfortunately certain people have been abusing the system. Neither of the website team have got the time to either write a program that will do what we want it to do, or to vet votes to filter out any multiple votes. As a consequence the decision was taken this morning to scrap the Man of the Match awards until further notice.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 07 November - Youth team round up

The youth teams had a mixed weekend, but it is the under 13's that take the headlines following their 2-0 win over Headstone Manor A in the league cup, their opponents having previously had a 100% record this season in the division above. Dean Rosenthal and Nasser Elmi were the goalscorers, but it was a real team performance with all the team being praised after the game. It was less good news for the under 15's who were soundly beaten 16-0 by South Ruislip Rangers, also in the league cup. The under 15's fielded a weakened side to give squad players a game and intend to concentrate on progressing in the league. The under 18's also lost, going down 3-1 to Harefield Ex-Servicemens Reserves in a game where Mark Crawford was left questioning the attitude of some of his players. Adilson Lopes scored the goal.

Posted at 09:45

Saturday 05 November - Ten men win as Murphy rebels

Hendon won their first game in thirteen games this afternoon coming away from Slough Town with a 2-0 victory despite playing for most of the second half after Danny Murphy was sent off for violent conduct after lashing out at Ian Hodges. The Greens had taken the lead in the 18th minute when Ricci Crace and John Frendo exchanged passes and Crace ran through to score clinically. The lead was doubled in the 50th minute when Dave Hunt slotted the ball home from close range, taking advantage of lax defending by the home side. Murphy was sent off three minutes later, but the Greens showed a lot of character and worked hard to keep the clean sheet and earn a deserved victory.

Posted at 18:45

Thursday 03 November - Reserves lose to single goal

The reserves lost by a single goal at home to Yeading last night in their Capital League fixture. As with the first team, chances were created but they just couldn't find the back of the net but joint-manager John Creith was otherwise very pleased with the overall performance. The reserves are in action again next Wednesday when they entertain Salisbury City.

Squad : Dave King, Chad Griffiths, James Wiseman, Conor Carroll, Francois Gabbidon, Ross Pickett, Jimmy Froud, Dave Hunt, Joel Bevis, Belal Aiteouakrim, Tiago Lariata, Phil Holder, Adilson Lopes, Daniel Edwards, Siki Kambila, Matthew Peart.

Posted at 11:00

Wednesday 02 November - Strong reserve line up expected

It is expected that a strong reserve team line up will be fielded this evening against Yeading, with up to half a dozen first team players appearing in the game.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 01 November - Reserves in action tomorrow

The reserves return to Capital League action tomorrow evening as they entertain Yeading. Kick off at Claremont Road will be at 7.45pm and all supporters are welcome to attend.

Posted at 18:00

Tuesday 01 November - Leach loan extended

Marc Leach has had his loan period with the club extended for a second month. The agreement was confirmed by Yeading today and will expire on 29th November.

Posted at 10:00