News - November 2002

Saturday 30 November - Dons refuse to be Rocked

Hendon had a relatively simple passage through to the third round of the FA Trophy, beating Bognor Regis Town 4-1 at Nyewood Avenue. While the scoreline suggests a victory more comfortable than the Greens' actual performance on the pich, Hendon certainly did deserve their win. The first goal game in just four minutes, Crace flicking a ball into Randall from the left, before Randall turned his marker, and placed the ball past the 'keeper, who agonisingly just got a touch. It took another 76 minutes for the next goal to come, and this time, Towler heading home an Iain Duncan free kick for his third goal of the season. In the 84th minute, Randall turned provider after recieving the ball from Steve Forbes, providing an relatively simple chance for Crace to slam home at the near post. Four minutes later, Bognor scored a deserved goal through Matt Russell to give the Rocks a glimmer of hope, but in stoppage time, Ofori headed home for the Dons' fourth to end any remaining hopes of a home comeback.

Posted at 20:00

Thursday 28 November - Two players depart

Midfielder Adrian Clarke has left the club after his months loan period came to an end. Although a second month had been agreed with Stevenage Borough, another club, believed to be Margate, came in to sign him permanently. Dave Anderson had agreed with Adrian that he could move on if an offer came up. We wish Adrian all the best for the future, and thank him for his efforts over the past month.

The second player to leave is teenage striker Brian Haule, who has signed for local rivals Harrow Borough. His departure has not been at all happy due to the fact that he had been lieing over a number of weeks to Dave Anderson, which Brian admitted to Dave he had been doing. Last Saturday, Brian agreed to signed a contract when speaking to Dave with his parents, but when Dave showed up the following day with the paperwork, Brian wasn't there. Speaking on the Greensline tonight as he explained the situation surrounding Brian's departure, Dave said that he was very angry about how Brian has treated both him and the club, and it was obvious that Brian didn't want to be at Hendon. Dave is sure that supporters will agree that we don't want players at the club who do not want to be with us, and also that we don't want players who treat the club with the disresepct that Brian has done. The way Brian has acted will not be forgotten by Dave for a very long time.

Posted at 18:00

Thursday 28 November - Bryco Cup date confirmed

Our third round Bryco Cup tie against Chalfont St Peter or Arlesey Town will take place at Claremont Road on Tuesday, 17th December, kick off 7.45pm presuming that the second round tie has been completed.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 28 November - FA Trophy campaign starts

Hendon start their FA Trophy campaign on Saturday when they travel down to the South coast to face Bognor Regis Town in the 2nd round. Kick off at Nyewood Lane is at 3.00pm. The Rock have made a fine start to the season and currently lie 7 points behind leaders Carshalton Athletic. Having beaten Staines Town 3-0 at the weekend, they slipped to a 3-1 defeat at home to fellow promotion hopefuls Horsham on Tuesday evening so they will be looking to bounce back this weekend. The last time Hendon visited Nyewood Lane, several years ago, they won 2-0. Suggested directions to Nyewood Lane can be found on the Match Preview page. We hope to see a big vocal support there on Saturday afternoon.

Posted at 09:45

Wednesday 27 November - Free delivery from Amazon

Amazon are currently running an offer where you will get free delivery if you order goods worth more than £39 worth of goods before December 12th. By clicking on the advert on the left hand side you will also double the earnings for the football club, so why not take the pressure off the Christmas shopping, buy from Amazon and raise funds for the club at the same time.

Posted at 18:00

Wednesday 27 November - It won't be Berkhamsted

Hendon won't be facing Berkhamsted Town in the Third Round of the Bryco Cup after they lost their First Round replay at Arlesey Town 3-2. Arlesey now travel to Chalfont St Peter next week in the Second Round to see who will earn the right to play the Greens.

Posted at 17:45

Monday 25 November - Byfield wins contract

Hendon have put 17-year-old midfielder Sam Byfield on a contract, following a second substitute appearance for the first team on Tuesday night. Byfield, who played for the club's Under-18s last season and the reserves this year, earned Middlesex county representative honours at the beginning of the month. After Byfield signed the deal with Hendon, manager Dave Anderson decided to give him the chance to experience regular first team football for a month. He has gone to Ryman League Division Two club Leighton Town, on loan, for a month.

Posted at 18:00

Monday 25 November - More on the new faces

Hendon had three players making their first-team debuts for the club during Tuesday night's Bryco (Ryman League) Cup tie against Staines Town. Noel Staiano, Arkali Evren and Tafazzul Islam all played roles in the 4-2 victory. Staiano has, as mentioned on Friday, already moved on. An American with an Italian passport, he gained international clearance through EU regulations, and impressed in a few games for the Reserves, so was given a chance on Tuesday night. His request for a contract could not be met and Heybridge Swifts were quick to come in to meet his demands, so he made his debut at Scraley Road on Saturday as they lost 4-2 to Basingstoke.

The other two youngsters were registered for Hendon after the club was recommended to them by an Arsenal scout. The Premiership champions had Evren and Islam in their Academy set-up but released them recently. They will gain further experience in the Reserves over the coming weeks. By a strange coincidence, the teenagers share the same birthday - 25th December - although one is a year older than the other.

Posted at 17:45

Monday 25 November - Weekend washout

Hendon were left counting the cost of the heavy overnight rain that fell on both Thursday and Friday night as the weekend's much-anticipated match against Aldershot Town was postponed. The blame cannot be attached to the drains laid during the summer. They did their job, dispersing thousands of gallons of water. Thursday night's rain would not have been enough to postpone the match, but the 12-hour battering that did not end until lunchtime on Saturday ensured that the early morning inspection could have only one outcome.

It should also be pointed out that the new drainage had already improved matters at the notoriously wet Claremont Road. Two weeks ago, the match at home Boreham Wood was postponed on the Tuesday night - again after a rainstorm 24 hours before the game - but, even though more rain fell after the original postponement, the pitch was playable 24 hours later. This after a match on the Saturday.

"Last year, we would not have considered playing on the Saturday, let alone the midweek afterwards too," Secretary Graham Etchell pointed out. "After the Staines game on Tuesday night, the pitch was hand-rolled the next day and would certainly have been ready for Saturday if it hadn't been for the rain."

Hendon's joint-webmaster, Steve Rogers, explained. "I went into the ground with Graham on Friday and we lifted up one of the manhole covers. The water was absolutely pouring into the drain."

"I have never seen our drains working like that," admitted Mr Etchell, "but we have had just too much water."

A crowd in excess of 1,000 was expected at Claremont Road, with Aldershot antcipating well over 700 travelling from Hampshire, but the attendance is likely to be around a third of that when the game is now played, probably in midweek either in December or January. It isn't just the difference between a crowd of 1,000 and 400 that will hit the club. There are the other things, such as the programmes printed in anticipation of a big Saturday crowd, the extra staff hired to ensure the big day went trouble-free and the publicity generated from a top-of-the-table clash.

Hendon's blank weekend ran right through the club because not only were the first team idle, but the reserves - at Hanwell Town in the Suburban League Cup on Saturday - and all 5 youth teams due to play on Sunday had their games called off.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 23 November - Aldershot game postponed

Following a pitch inspection this morning today's game against Aldershot Town has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. Unfortunately the new drainage system that was installed in the summer has been unable to cope with the sheer volume of rainfall over the past 72 hours. No new date has as yet been set for the game. The next game for the first team is the FA Trophy Second Round game at Bognor Regis Town next Saturday.

Posted at 11:00

Friday 22 November - Player movements

Two players have left the club, and a third has gone on loan ahead of this weekend's fixtures. Goalkeeper Simon Chang, and midfielder Noel Staiano have both been released. Chang is expected to return to Yeading, while Staiano has signed for Heybridge Swifts. The player going out on loan is Sam Byfield, who has joined Leighton Town for a month, to hopefully gain some regular first team experience.

Posted at 18:00

Friday 22 November - Aldershot game rated very doubtful

The extremely disappointing news this afternoon is that tomorrows' game against Aldershot Town is rated as very doubtful. Having just been out on the pitch this lunchtime, I can report that pitch is very wet from goal to goal and there is quite a lot of standing water after the heavy overnight rain. The drains are working very well, and there was plenty of water gushing through when we opened up the manhole cover. A pitch inspection has been arranged for tomorrow morning at 10.30am, and we will update the website as soon as we receive news of the result of the inspection.

Posted at 17:45

Friday 22 November - Important game tomorrow

Hendon have a massive game tomorrow, and it has been many years since such a fixture would have a direct bearing on both teams' championship hopes at this stage of the season. The Greens will entertain current Premier Division leaders Aldershot Town at Claremont Road tomorrow afternoon, kick-off 3.00 pm. The Shots were without a game on Saturday, but their victory over Hayes last Tuesday ensured that they had a clear lead going into the weekend especially as second-placed St Albans were involved in FA Cup action. Saturday's results mean that the Shots are now 2 points ahead of St Albans and Purfleet and 4 up on Hendon. However, the Shots did slip up at Cheshunt in the Bryco Cup on Tuesday night, despite fielding a strong line up.

Last season, Hendon met Aldershot 3 times and lost on each occasion. On a foggy December night at Claremont Road, the result was 1-0 to the Shots; two months later, they won 2-0 at the Recreation Ground in a League Cup match that was switched from Claremont Road; finally, in the return Ryman League game, Aldershot recorded a 2-1 victory, with Dale Binns being Hendon's scorer. The Greens have yet to beat Aldershot in their 4 home meetings in the Ryman League, although they did win a League Cup tie in 1992-93.

It is important that we have a good turnout, for what is one of the biggest league games at the right end of the table for many years for the club. Plenty of support, plenty of noise, even if the going gets tough. We hope to see you all tomorrow afternoon.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 20 November - Bryco Cup draw

The draw for the Third Round of the Bryco Cup was made this morning and has seen Hendon drawn at home to face Chalfont St Peter or Arlesey Town or Berkhamsted Town. Arlesey and Berkhamsted are due to replay their First Round tie next Tuesday, and the winners will then travel to Chalfont St Peter the following week. There is no date set yet for our tie.

Posted at 17:00

Tuesday 19 November - Hendon make comfortable progress

Hendon made comfortable progress in the Bryco Cup tonight as they beat Staines Town 4-2 at Claremont Road despite fielding a weakened side. Rob Haworth put the Greens in the lead in the second minute, while Kieran Gallagher opened his account by firing home a freekick midway through the second half. Staines pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time, but goals from Adrian Clarke and Eugene Ofori within the first five minutes of the second period put the game out of reach. Nick Hooper scored a late consolation for Staines but it was too little too late. Hendon had four debutants this evening. Goalkeeper Simon Chang, who was signed from Yeading at the weekend, midfielder Noel Staiano who has impressed in the reserves recently and Tafazzul Islam and Arkain Evren who were both recently released by Arsenal having been part of the youth system at Highbury. The draw for the next round of the competition is made tomorrow

Posted at 22:45

Tuesday 19 November - League cup campaign starts tonight

Tonight, Hendon open their Bryco (Isthmian League) Cup campaign with a 2nd round tie at home to Staines Town. Kick off is at 7.45pm. Last season, Hendon faced the Swans in a Middlesex Senior Cup tie which was switched to Claremont Road and the Greens won 5-0 thanks to a pair of goals from Ross Pickett and one each from Byron Bubb, Dale Binns and Phil Ruggles. The last time, the two teams met in the League Cup was in 1997, when Hendon ran out 8-1 winners, scoring 7 times in the second half. Staines are currently in 9th place in Division One South, and were without a fixture at the weekend. Former Hendon player Paul Johnson, who left the club early last season, is expected to line up for the Swans.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 18 November - Four win representative honours

Four Hendon players have earned representative call-ups in the last couple of weeks. Sam Byfield was a member of the Middlesex U18 squad who played at Worcester City last weekend while Chad Coombes, who was a substitute for the first team a few times in the early part of the season, has been selected for the New Zealand Under-20s World Cup squad. The others to earn honours are under-16s players Daniel Llewellyn and Aaron McLeish who are in the Middlesex County FA squad for their forthcoming games. For Llewellyn, the son of Under-16s manager "Lou", this is yet another honour, following his selection for the England Schoolboys training squad at Lilleshall in the summer.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 18 November - Youth team round up

Only one youth team was in action this weekend, and it was disappointing as the Under 14's lost in extra time to Percival in the Middlesex Cup. Having been level at 5-5 after normal time, Percival scored twice in extra time to move into the next round. All the other youth games were postponed, as was the reserves home game against Thame United.

Posted at 09:45

Saturday 16 November - Greens survive Eagles scare

Hendon survived a scare at Bedford Town's New Eyrie ground this afternoon, running out 3-2 winners, but only due to a late goal from Paul Towler. Hendon started the brighter scoring their first mid-way through the first half when Ricci Crace beat the offside trap and followed it up by chipping the 'keeper. In the 36th minute, on loan Adrian Clarke played a cross-cum-shot into the box, only for it to deflect off Gary Williams for the Greens' second. Bedford, however, refused to give up in the second half, and goals in the 72nd and 80th minutes through Lee Howey and Gary Williams. However, a 89th minute cross from Eugene Ofori was slammed home by Paul Towler for a just about deserved victory for the Greens.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 15 November - Hendon memorabilia up for auction

It has been brought to our attention that there are two items available on the auction site ebay. The first item is a Soccerstars magazine from 1960 which features Hendon on the front cover, and Kingstonian on the back cover. At the time of writing this is available for £2. The second item is a Grantham v Hendon FA Cup First Round programme from November 1965, and is currently available at £5.51. If you are interested, just go to the ebay website and type Hendon in the search box and the items should appear.

Posted at 18:00

Friday 15 November - Weekend preview

The first team will be looking for quick revenge as they travel to Bedford Town tomorrow afternoon. Beaten 2-0 at Claremont Road a few weeks ago, they will also be looking to bounce back from the disappointing showing on Wednesday against Boreham Wood and get another three points on the board. It would be great if as many supporters as possible can make the trip up the M1 or A1 and get behind the team. See you there. However, if you are unable to make the trip and would like to see a game more locally, the reserves are due to be playing at home against Thame United, so why not pop down there and give them some support.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 14 November - Supporters coach to Bognor

The Supporters Association are intending to run a coach to Bognor Regis on the 30th November should enough people be interested. Should you be interested please contact Geraldine Clarke on 020 8458 6954 , Mike Hogan on 020 8455 1846 or any of the supporters committee on a matchday. We require numbers within the next week so that we can confirm the coach booking.

Posted at 18:00

Thursday 14 November - New date for Stortford

Our game at Bishop's Stortford, called off a few weeks ago due to their involvement in the FA Cup, has been rearranged for Tuesday, 10th December, kick off 7.45pm

Posted at 17:30

Thursday 14 November - Copthall update

Several people have been wondering why it has been quiet with regard to news about the possible move to Copthall. That's because there has been little to report, but it was reported in last night's programme that chairman Ivor Arbiter, and vice-chairman Andrew Landesberg are working on a timetable with the London Borough of Barnet. As soon as there is any news it will be put in the programme, on the website and on the Greensline.

Posted at 17:00

Thursday 14 November - Hollingdale leaves, Burton out on loan

Rob Hollingdale who had been on loan for two months has returned to Woking and was expected to play for their reserve team last night. We thank Rob for his efforts over the past few weeks. Meanwhile, reserve goalkeeper Dan Burton has gone on loan to Uxbridge for a month to gain some first team experience. We wish Dan well during his loan spell.

Posted at 16:30

Wednesday 13 November - Hendon fail to perform

Hendon failed to perform this evening as Boreham Wood ran out comfortable 2-0 winners. The opening goal came in the 27th minute when Hendon gave away a free kick about 20 yards from goal, and Elis Kodra stepped up to fire home a fine free kick. Shortly before half time former Hendon defender Pat Sappleton was fortunate to stay on the pitch after he lashed out at Martin Randall. The second half saw Hendon perform slightly better, but Boreham Wood were always first to the ball. The second goal came in the 88th when the ball got stuck in the mud, and Scott Forrester beat James Burgess to the ball and Forrester fired the ball over David Hook into the goal from 25 yards. Hendon's best chance came when they were awarded a penalty when Steve Forbes was pulled down in the area, but Paul Yates was unable to convert the spot kick, keeper Kenny Addai making a comfortable save.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 13 November - Pitch declared fit

Having arrived an hour earlier than planned tonights match referee has declared that the pitch is "just about playable". The game will kick off at 7.45pm as long as there is no more rain.

Posted at 16:50

Wednesday 13 November - Today's game

Following an earlier inspection, it has been decided that there will be a final inspection at 5.30pm by the match referee to decide whether our fixture with Boreham Wood tonight will go ahead. We will update the website as soon as we can once the result of the inspection is known

Posted at 15:30

Tuesday 12 November - Boreham Wood game now tomorrow

Tonight's game against Boreham Wood has been postponed due to the pitch being waterlogged after this morning's heavy downpours. However, another attempt will be made tomorrow evening at 7.45pm, and the club are confident that if there is no more substantial rainfall then the game will go ahead.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 11 November - Boreham Wood up next

Tomorrow evening, Hendon entertain Boreham Wood at Claremont Road. The game kicks off at 7.45pm. Boreham Wood currently lie 20th in the table with 16 points from 17 games. They lost 2-1 at Grays Athletic on Saturday, the home team being reduced to 10 men early in the second half. However, their form in the FA Cup has been somewhat better, and they travel to Torquay United on Saturday in the First Round. The support on Saturday was excellent, lets have a repeat performance tomorrow night to give the team the boost the need.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 11 November - Youth round up

There were goals galore in the four youth matches played yesterday. The Under 17's ran out 9-3 winners at St Andrews, the Under 15's beat Real Shepperton 11-0 in the Middlesex Cup, the Under 14's won 8-2 at Headstone Manor, while the Under 13's lost in the Middlesex Cup to Pinnacle, going down 9-5. Full details can be found as usual on the relevant team pages. The reserves were without a game this weekend.

Posted at 09:45

Saturday 09 November - Greens win comfortably

Hendon won todays fixture at Claremont Road comfortably, running out 2-0 winners over languishing visitors Braintree Town. The Greens made most of the running and created the best chances throughout the match. The first goal came on 19 minutes, throw from left finding Steve Forbes who was hacked down, but managed to get the ball through to Crace who slamed it home. The second came late in the 82nd minute, Forbes dribbled from the halfway line through to the penalty area, but his shot rebounded of the keeper for Randall to knock home. Randall, Clarke, Ofori and Howarth all failed to convert other chances in the game, but ultimately the two goals were enough

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 09 November - Dons to face Borough

Hendon face Hillingdon Borough in their defence of the Middlesex Senior Cup. Hillingdon beat Viking Greenford a convincing 6-0 on Tuesday, winning the right to travel to Claremont Road on Tuesday 3rd December.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 09 November - Braintree match on

Today's match against Braintree will go ahead, the new drainage at Claremont Road having done a good job with the heavy rain yesterday and overnight. There are currently no plans for a pitch inspection.

Posted at 10:00

Friday 08 November - Braintree tomorrow

Tomorrow afternoon we entertain Braintree Town, kicking off at 3.00pm. After their excellent performance last season in the league, finishing 4th, things have taken a turn for the worse for our visitors as they currently lie third from bottom with only 2 wins from 18 games, the second of which was a 4-2 victory at then leaders St Albans City. In the same fixture last season Hendon won 3-0, the goals coming from Ricci Crace (2) and Martin Randall, which gained revenge for a 2-0 defeat at Cressing Road earlier in the season. Under new manager Gary Bellamy, who was formerly manager at Chelmsford City and Dover Athletic, things appear to be taking a turn for the better, particularly with the win at St Albans, and its certainly not going to be an easy afternoon for the Greens. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible there tomorrow afternoon.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 06 November - First team lose ground

Without playing this midweek, the first team have lost a little bit of ground on Aldershot Town and St Albans City. Aldershot are now six points clear of Hendon, having played the same number of games, after winning 1-0 at Boreham Wood on Monday evening. Then yesterday evening, St Albans City moved within a point of Aldershot as they beat Sutton United 4-2 at Gander Green Lane. However, the first team do have a game in hand over St Albans and third placed Purfleet, who are two points ahead.

Posted at 23:00

Wednesday 06 November - Strong reserve side lose to Berko

A strong line up still couldn't prevent the reserves falling to another disappointing defeat. Despite the starting lineup including Michael Woolner, James Burgess, Steve Butler, Martin Randall, Rob Haworth and Sam Byfield, Berkhamsted Town ran out 4-2 winners. Hendon took the lead after 10 minutes through Rob Haworth before Berkhamsted equalised with an excellent strike. Martin Randall restored the lead, but 3 quick goals before the break put Berkhamsted 4-2 up. There were no goals in the second half, and the reserves need a quick turn round in form if they are to stave of the haunt of relegation this season.

Posted at 22:45

Tuesday 05 November - Reserves in action tonight

The reserves are in action again tonight, and will be hoping to put their recent poor run of results behind them as they entertain Berkhamsted Town. Kick off at Claremont Road is 7.30pm. Why not pop down and give them some support. It would certainly be appreciated

Posted at 10:00

Monday 04 November - Reserve and youth update

The weekly reserve and youth updates are now online, and with the exception of the U15's who soundly won 7-0 yesterday, all the other teams either drew or lost, the worst of all being another defensive disaster for the reserves, who lost 7-2 at home to Sutton.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 04 November - FA Trophy seaside trip

We're off to the seaside again, as the FA Trophy Second Round Draw has seen us pitted against Bognor Regis Town. The two clubs have not crossed swords since Bognor were relegated from the Premier Division more than ten years ago. The game will take place at Nyewood Lane on Saturday, 30th November

Posted at 12:00

Saturday 02 November - Draw at Hayes

Hendon drew 0-0 in a dour game at Hayes' Church Road this afternoon. Neither side created any real decent efforts on goal, although the play up to the last third was generally reasonable. The only point of note was the sending off of Hayes' James Shipperly in the 40th minute after a poor challenge on Michael Woolne

Posted at 18:00

Saturday 02 November - Clarke in on loan

Dave Anderson made another loan signing yesterday afternoon, bringing in Stevenage Borough's Adrian Clarke for a month. Clarke started his career at Aresenal, with whom he won the FA Youth Cup, later playing in the league on loan to Carlisle and Rotherham

Posted at 10:00