News - February 2006

Sunday 26 February - Supporters Trust meeting postponed

The Supporters Trust are sorry to announce this evening that they will be postponing their General Meeting due to be held on 4th March until the 25th. They would like to apologies for any inconvenience cause by this delay, but due to Simon Lawrence's sudden illness the working group were unable to give all members the required 14 days notice of the meeting that is necessary under the Supporters Trust's rules. As a result of this, the meeting has had to be re-scheduled. Members can expect formal notification of the new date to be sent shortly.

Posted at 18:00

Sunday 26 February - Under 13s become league champions

The under 13s won the Harrow Youth League Division Two title this morning at a still windy Claremont Road. Playing against Parkfield, they ran out 1-0 winners thanks to a 28th minute strike from Nassir Elmi. The young Greens had plenty of chances to put the game out of reach, but like the first team, they were unable to find the back of the net. However, manager John Creith was delighted with the effort and application of the team, with Jake Paul, Tony Teegan and Hunter Evans all outstanding, the latter being named as man of the match.

Title winning squad : Alan Aberdeen, Luke Allen, Zack Amankwah, Jahrell Best, Ryan Brennan, Joseph Briefel, Jahmaya Burke, Patrick Crinnigan, Nassir Elmi, Hunter Evans, Jamie Fitzgerald, Tony Honour, Matthew Langton, Julian Mika, Jake Paul, Michael Pringle, Dean Rosenthal, Tony Teegan, Damilola Thomas, Joel Thomas.

Posted at 13:30

Saturday 25 February - Stalemate at windy Claremont Road

Hendon drew 0-0 with Folkestone Invicta at a very cold and windy Claremont Road to pick up a much needed point. Chances were at a premium throughout the game as the strong wind dictated the play. Hendon's best chance fell to Michael Barima whose low drive was well saved by Tony Kessell, whilst Andy Cook had a chance to head home in the second half but lost the ball in the low sun. There was bad news in the dying minutes as Danny Murphy was stretchered off after falling awkwardly in a fair challenge. There is currently no news as to how Danny is.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 24 February - Standing Order reminder

The Supporters Trust would like to remind supporters that Standing Order forms are available on their website for download and need to be returned to the trust as soon as posible so that the forms can be lodged with the banks. These donations are likely to make up the bulk of the trust's (and thus the club's) regular income for 2006/7 and thus the sooner we have forms in, the sooner we can look to budget for the future. Forms are available on the Trust website, and will also be available in a week's time at our open meeting.

Posted at 15:00

Tuesday 21 February - Plucky Hendon lose out

Despite a performance described by Gary McCann as "one of our best of the season", Hendon lost 1-0 this evening to a very well organised Fisher Athletic side, going out of the Westview (Isthmian League) Cup in the process. From start to finish the Greens worked hard, and for several periods of the game had the Fisher defence on the backfoot. Fisher keeper James Pullen made some excellent saves as Hendon searched for an elusive goal. The goal that turned out to be the winner was scored in the 28th minute by Charlie Hearn who fired home a fine free kick.

Posted at 23:45

Tuesday 21 February - Two new faces today

There were two new faces in today's line up against Fisher. Joining on a dual-registration from Yeading is right sided player Michael Barima, who has also been with Harrow Borough and Maidenhead United, whilst joining on the recommendation of former Chelsea defender Eddie Newton is African midfielder Chike Nnatuanya. We welcome both players to the club and hope that they enjoy their time with us.

Posted at 23:15

Tuesday 21 February - Freddie's back

Gary McCann has appointed Freddie Hyatt as his assistant for the rest of the season. Freddie is well known to Hendon fans following his time at Claremont Road between 1997 and 2000 when he made over 150 appearances scoring 18 goals, including some stunning free kicks. We are delighted to see Freddie back at the club, and hope he enjoys his time with us in his new role.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 21 February - Fisher game is on

Following the pitch inspection by the match referee and one of his assistants, we can confirm that tonight's game is going ahead as planned. Kick off tonight at Claremont Road is 7.45pm.

Posted at 17:30

Tuesday 21 February - Game subject to pitch inspection

Following the heavy showers this afternoon, including a particularly heavy hailstorm around 3.30pm, a pitch inspection has been arranged for 5.30pm this afternoon. The website will be updated further following the inspection.

Posted at 16:00

Monday 20 February - Wrestling fundraiser coming soon

Hendon Football Club are staging a great night of Professional Wrestling in aid of the Supporters Trust, on Saturday 8th April at 6pm following the home game against Chelmsford City. Two of the country's top promotors, NWA UK and Dropkixx Wrestling have joined forces and a fun night is guaranteed. Scheduled to appear will be some of the UK's top stars, including 30 stone monster Hugh Mungus, NWA Junior Heavyweight Champion Zack Sabre Junior, and a ladies tag match. Further details and tickets will be available soon.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 20 February - Youth team round-up

It was another mixed weekend for our younger teams, our under 18s winning 3-0 at Hanworth Villa Reserves despite being reduced to ten men after just two minutes when Eddy Mohammed was dismissed for abusive language. The goalscorers were Danny Edwards, Chris Cleary and Francois Gabbidon. The under 15s lost 7-4 to Princes Park B despite goals from Matt Hornblow, Carl Ciagoro (2) and Mike Davis. The under 13s weren't in action, but now only need 1 point from their last 3 games to secure the title following Pinnstars 4-4 draw against North Greenford United yesterday morning.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 18 February - Greens struggle to find goals

Hendon continued to struggle to find the back of the net this afternoon as they lost 1-0 at Billericay Town. The home side were well on top for the first half hour and took the lead in the 9th minute when Leon Hunter bundled the ball home from close range. Midway through the half Billericay were awarded a penalty which Hunter fired high over the bar. That seemed to turn the game and the Greens came back into the game and had the better chances in the second half as they worked hard to get back into the game. However, as has so often been the case this season the attempts at goal couldn't find the back of the net and so they returned to London empty handed.

Posted at 18:45

Thursday 16 February - Simon Lawrence taken ill

Long time supporter Simon Lawrence, who is part of the Supporters Trust working group, suffered a mild stroke on Wednesday morning. He is currently recovering in hospital and doing well and he hopes to be home towards the end of next week. We are sure that all supporters will join us in wishing Simon all the best for a speedy recovery. The rest of the working group will obviously carry on as normal, and they can be contacted on

Posted at 14:00

Tuesday 14 February - Hendon ride luck into final

The Greens made it into their first cup final for two years this evening, but had to ride their luck before scoring a winner at the death. It was a battling performance from the team against a strong Tooting side with both sides having a number of half chances. In the second half it appeared that Tooting were going to make in into the final when they were awarded a penalty for a push in the area. However, the penalty was poor and Dave King was able to make an easy save. Soon afterwards Tooting had another good chance but the shot only found the outside of the net. In the first minute of stoppage time Hendon were awarded a free kick around 25 yards out. Jeff Campbell curled the ball into the area and Dave Hunt rose to head the ball home to take the Greens into the cup final.

The cup final will take place at Tooting's ground on Tuesday 25th April. Our opponents will either be Fisher Athletic, Staines Town or Waltham Abbey. Staines and Waltham Abbey meet in their quarter final in a fortnights time.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 14 February - Reserve game off

Tomorrow nights reserve team game at home to Slough Town has been postponed as the Rebels are unable to field a side.

Posted at 13:30

Tuesday 14 February - Trust standing order form online

This afternoon the standing order form for regular monthly donations was made available by Hendon FC Supporters Trust. The Working Group are requesting that all members that have pledged a regular monthly donation fill out a copy and return it to the Trust as soon as possible.

In addition, the Working Group would also like to remind people to ensure that sufficient funds are available to cover the value of any cheques made out to the Trust as all cheques are being presented to the bank today.

Posted at 13:30

Sunday 12 February - Sponsored walk route now available

The Supporters Trust have this evening announced full details of their intended route for the sponsored walk. Full details, as always, are available on the Trust's website. As mentioned before the weekend, it would be appreciated if people who intend to walk could register either online or with a member of the working group as soon as possible to ensure that the day goes as smoothly as possible.

Posted at 16:00

Sunday 12 February - Under 13s one step away

The under 13s are now just one step away from the league title following their 4-1 win at Ruislip Manor this afternoon. Our youngest team took the lead in the 22nd minute through Nasser Elmi, and the same player doubled the lead less than a minute later. However, the first half performance was scrappy, but this improved in the second half as a goal from Zack Amankriah, his first for the club, and the hat-trick goal from Nasser Elmi, taking his tally to 37 for the season. Unfortunately a solid defensive performance was marred by a last minute consolation for the home side, but manager John Creith was delighted with the result and named midfielder Ryan Brennan as his man of the match.

Posted at 14:00

Saturday 11 February - Under 18s lose at Bedfont

There was disappointment as well this afternoon for the under 18s who went down 3-1 at Bedfont Sports Reserves to end their five match unbeaten run. Bedfont took the lead in the 23rd minute before Ronald Adjekwei equalised just after the half hour mark. However, the home side took control of the game with further goals in the 64th and 67th minutes to secure the points much to the disappointment of manager Mark Crawford who described the performance as "very poor".

Posted at 20:30

Saturday 11 February - Hendon go down at East Thurrock

Hendon suffered a disappointing defeat this afternoon despite controlling much of the first half during which time Marc Leach hit the post with a curling free kick. The opening goal came in the 43rd minute against the run of play through Jon Turnbull and this seemed to knock the stuffing out of the Greens. The lead was doubled by Danny Hayzelden in the 70th minute before Steve Harrison completed the scoring sixteen minutes later.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 11 February - Midfielder signs on loan

Midfielder Charlie Mapes was signed this morning just in time to be available for this afternoons game at East Thurrock United. Charlie has signed on loan from Yeading having previously played for Wycombe Wanderers and Wealdstone.

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 09 February - Online sponsored walk registration

The Supporters Trust have made available an online form to allow supporters to register for their Sponsored Walk next month quickly and easily. Any supporter or friend intending to walk is requested to register to ensure that the Trust's working group can fully plan and ensure the day goes smoothly.

Posted at 18:30

Sunday 05 February - Under 13s in pole position

The under 13s are firmly in pole position in their division following their 4-2 win at Springfield this morning. Having dropped just six points so far this season, and with just four games left, John Creith's talented side are firm favourites to win the league. This morning leading scorer Nasser Elmi opened the scoring after 25 minutes only for Springfield to equalise six minutes later. Elmi restored the lead before half time, and completed his hat-trick early in the second half. Man of the match Julian Mika scored the fourth soon afterwards and although Springfield pulled a goal back it turned out to be a comfortable victory. The under 15s, who were third in their table before todays games, weren't in action this weekend.

Posted at 18:00

Sunday 05 February - Under 18s reach semi final

The under 18s reached the semi finals of their divisional cup yesterday afternoon as they beat Hanworth Villa Reserves 3-2 at Copthall Playing Fields. Otis Kingsley gave the Greens the lead after 10 minutes before Hanworth equalised on the half hour mark. Siki Kambila had a penalty ruled out for not crossing the line before Apacha Ayala doubled the lead on the hour mark. Narcisse Nono scored with 15 minutes to go before Hanworth scored a late consolation. The semi final opponents are not yet known.

Posted at 17:45

Sunday 05 February - 150 club winners

The winners for the 150 club for January are numbers 129 and 015 who win £50 and £25 respectively. The winner of the December draw was number 091 who won £150.

Posted at 17:30

Sunday 05 February - Vic Belloni

We have been informed of the recent death of Vic Belloni who died in hospital over the Christmas period. Although unwell, he still attended most of our games, both home and away and had been a life member for many years. He was an articulate and sociable man who had many friends here at Hendon. He will be sorely missed.

Posted at 17:15

Saturday 04 February - Greens complete Redbridge double

Hendon completed the league double over Redbridge with a 2-0 victory at Claremont Road this afternoon The Greens took the lead in the 38th minute when new signing Darren Watson took advantage of a hesitant defence to slot the ball home, and within 80 seconds of the second half starting the lead was doubled when Mark Cooper celebrated his 150th first team start as he headed home a Jeff Campbell corner.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 04 February - Tall striker signs on

Tall striker Darren Watson signed for the club late last night from Margate. Prior to his two year spell with the Kent side, Darren played for Mullingar Town, where he struck up a prolific partnership with Blaise O'Brien. Darren in a permanent signing, and we welcome him warmly to the club and hope that he enjoys his time with us.

Posted at 18:30

Friday 03 February - Andy Pape to stand down

Gary McCann has confirmed this afternoon that his assistant Andy Pape will reluctantly be standing down from his position after tomorrow's game against Redbridge. Andy has increased work commitments and is no longer able to give the commitment he feels is necessary to the club. Gary said "I am very grateful for the effort Andy has put in over the past year and I wish him all the best for the future. I will be keeping in touch with Andy, and he hopes to be able to attend games as and when his workload allows. I am actively looking for a new assistant and have a couple of people in mind, but finding someone of Andy's calibre will not be easy."

Posted at 14:00

Friday 03 February - Tooting date fixed

The London Senior Cup Semi Final against Tooting & Mitcham United will take place on Tuesday 14th February at Claremont Road kicking off at 7.45pm. A full programme will be published for the game, and unless announced otherwise normal admission prices will apply.

Posted at 13:30

Thursday 02 February - Reserves start year with win

After a long break, the reserves returned to action last night with a 2-1 win at Berkhamsted Town. The Greens took the lead in the 8th minute through Danny Edwards but were soon hauled back as Berkhamsted equalised five minutes later. However, a good performance was rewarded in the final minute when Stephan Chambers-Bignall scored the winner.

Posted at 14:00