News - February 2004

Saturday 28 February - Greens hit four at Hitchin

Hendon extended their unbeaten run to eight games with a 4-1 victory at a wintery Hitchin Town. The Greens took the lead in the 23rd minute when Ricci Crace fired home, and shortly before half time the lead was doubled when Eugene Ofori somehow hooked the ball into the net while under pressure from three Hitchin defenders. Hitchin pulled a goal back early in the second half through Paul Covington but Hendon continued to pile on the pressure and were rewarded in the 70th minute when Dale Binns sent a delicious lob over Richard Wilmot into the goal. The final goal was probably the best of the afternoon when Binns received a through ball from Ofori ran to the byline and sent a pinpoint cross for Pat Gavin to head home his first goal for the club. The result means that the Greens remain 2nd in the table and reduce the gap on leaders Canvey Island to just 20 points!

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 28 February - Supporters meeting with Ivor Arbiter

Club chairman Ivor Arbiter has agreed to hold a meeting with supporters to discuss what is happening at the club. The meeting will take place on Wednesday, 10th March in the clubhouse and will start promptly at 8.00pm. We have been asked to stress that this meeting is only open to members of the Hendon FC Supporters Association and membership cards should be available if necessary.

Posted at 13:00

Thursday 26 February - Restructuring goes ahead

It has been announced this afternoon by the FA that the challenge by the Isthmian League against the proposed restructuring has been dismissed by the arbitration tribunal. This means that should the Greens finish in the top thirteen this season, we should be playing in the new Conference South next season. The full story can be found on the FA website by clicking here. This means that all being well we can look forward to potential trips to clubs such as Weymouth, Tiverton Town, Newport County and Dover Athletic.

Posted at 16:30

Thursday 26 February - Greens go on the road

The first team are spending the next fortnight on the road with four away games in 11 days. On Saturday we travel to Hitchin Town, before the Middlesex Senior Cup semi final against Southall on Wednesday. Please remember that Southall are currently playing their home games at Chesham United. Kick off on Wednesday will be at 7.45pm. On Saturday 6th March we make the short trip to play Northwood, before the trip to Heybridge Swifts on Tuesday 9th March. It would be great to see as many supporters as possible at the games to get behind the team and show appreciation for the efforts they have been putting in since Christmas.

Posted at 10:00

Thursday 26 February - Player news

A couple of players have moved on in the past couple of weeks, although one is just on a temporary basis. Martin Randall has gone on a months loan to Ashford Town (Middlesex) to get some regular first team football under his belt and made his debut for them last Saturday, while Marien Ifura has returned to QPR and was on the bench for their first team ten days ago. There is a possiblity that Marien could return to Claremont Road if required before the end of the campaign, but in the meantime we thank him for his efforts over the past few weeks.

Posted at 09:45

Thursday 26 February - Reserves draw at Slough

An inexperienced reserve team drew 2-2 at Slough Town last night. Having gone a goal down in the first half, they equalised thanks to a goal from Tom English, before Adilson Lopes put the Greens in front. However Slough equalised to earn a point. There was added good news with the return of goalkeeper Luke Thornton from injury, having broken a finger earlier in the season while on loan at Hanwell Town. The reserves have one league game left at home to Chesham, the date of which is yet to be confirmed.

Team : Luke Thornton, Dave Hunt, James Burgess, Mark Burgess, Aaron McLeish, David Pierre, Andre Delisser, Simon Huggett, Daniel Llewellyn, Tom English, Adilson Lopes. Subs : Roy Santos, Andre Humphrey, Marvin Tabi, Andrew Vincent.

Posted at 09:30

Tuesday 24 February - Greens motor back to draw

Hendon came back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Ford United this evening. Ford took the lead in the 5th minute when a shot from Craig Edwards took a slight deflection that sent it past the outstretched arm of Dave King. The second goal came in the 36th minute when Ford counter-attacked in numbers and were rewarded with a strike by Alan McLeod. Eugene Ofori had missed a good chance within the first minute, and Andy Cook had failed to connect with an Ofori cross with Hendon's best two chances of the half.

The Greens came out all guns blazing in the second half, but when Dale Binns hit the bar with a headed effort, and Ford keeper Jamie Lunan made an excellent save it seemed as if it would be one of those nights. However, in the 70th minute Ofori pulled a goal back with his 20th goal of the season and from there on it was Hendon that had the bulk of the possession and were creating the better chances. The equaliser came in the 87th minute when Dwayne Plummer fired the ball through a crowded goalmouth into the net. The Greens held on for the seven minutes of stoppage time for a deserved point following their second half fightback.

Posted at 23:00

Saturday 21 February - Dons win again

Hendon moved into second place this afternoon following their 2-0 win over a depleted Kingstonian side who due to internal problems were only able to field two substitutes. The Dons took the lead in the 4th minute when Dwayne Plummer looped a header over Lance Key into the net. Plummer then missed a penalty in the 66th minute, but two minutes later Ricci Crace scored to double the lead. Kingstonian then lost their discipline picking up 3 bookings in the final 20 minutes as Hendon created a number of openings. Once again mention must be made of the Hendon defence who kept the Kingstonian attack down to just half chances.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 21 February - Today's game is on

Despite the various rumours over the past few days about possible strike action by Kingstonian players, we have received confirmation this morning that the problems have been sorted out and this afternoon's fixture will be going ahead as planned. Kick off at Claremont Road is 3.00pm.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 16 February - Semi final date fixed

Our Middlesex Senior Cup semi final against Southall will take place on Wednesday, 3rd March, kicking off at 7.45pm. Southall currently use Chesham United's ground for their home games, and this will be the venue for the game.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 14 February - Butler returns as Greens win

Steve Butler made his first appearance for 2 months as Hendon took revenge for Carshalton's win at Claremont Road earlier in the season. The Greens won 3-1 despite playing with 10 for 53 minutes after Steve Forbes was rightly dismissed for 2 bookable offences. Hendon took the lead after 15 minutes when Eugene Ofori met Pat Gavin's flick from a Scott Cousins corner. They controlled the game until Forbes was dismissed, after which Dave King made his only save of the first half.

Early in the 2nd half Ofori, Dwayne Plummer and Cousins could have scored when they had good chances. In the 67th minute numbers were level when Carshalton substitute Kunle Olusesi to a straight red card for violent conduct. With 15 minutes to go, Hendon settled the game with two goals in two minutes. Firstly Andy Cook headed home a Plummer corner, and shortly afterwards Ricci Crace was pulled down in the area and Cousins stepped up to score from the spot. Matt York scored a late consolation for the Robins but the game had already been won for Hendon.

Posted at 18:30

Wednesday 11 February - Lewis makes his mark for reserves

Trialist Lewis Mark made an impressive debut for the reserves tonight as he hit all three goals in Hendon's 3-1 win over Farnborough Town. The opening goal came in the 2nd minute when Mark slammed the loose ball into the net. The lead was doubled in the 52nd minute, and he completed his hat-trick seven minutes later with a clinical finish. Fellow trialist David Pierre almost extended the lead further shortly afterwards with a fiercely struck shot from long distance that caught the keeper by surprise. Farnborough gave themselves a lifeline with a 70th minute strike from Alex Christou and had a second goal disallowed for offside, but the Greens held on for a deserved win.

Team : Gillett, Booth, J.Burgess, M.Burgess, Butler, Pierre (Katshenge 63), Crace, Delisser, Llewellyn, Mark (Lopes 81), Binns (McLeish 81). Unused subs : Vincent, Hunt.

Posted at 23:30

Tuesday 10 February - Greens go third

Hendon moved into third place in the table tonight following their 2-1 win at Billericay Town. The Greens were given a tough test in the first half and took the lead somewhat against the run of play in the 28th minute when Eugene Ofori delivered a low cross that eluded Pat Gavin and the Billericay defenders, but found the unmarked Dwayne Plummer at the far post who slammed the ball home. The scores were level within 6 minutes when Leon Hunter scored a near carbon copy at the other end. Hendon came out in the second half in determined mood and scored what turned out to be the winner in the 50th minute when following a corner Ofori turned the ball home from close range for his 18th goal of the season. The Greens then worked extremely hard to maintain their advantage, with the defence once again holding firm.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 10 February - It's Southall in the semis

In the semi finals of the Middlesex Senior Cup we will be travelling to Southall. The Combined Counties League side caused something of a shock tonight as they won 1-0 at Harrow Borough. The game is due to take place sometime in early March. Southall currently play their home games at Chesham United. We will bring confirmed details of the date and venue of the tie in due course.

Posted at 22:55

Sunday 08 February - Heybridge game rearranged

Our trip to Heybridge Swifts has been rearranged for Tuesday, 9th March, kicking off at 7.45pm following the postponement last Saturday.

Posted at 14:00

Saturday 07 February - Dons avenge Grays defeat

Hendon took revenge on Grays Athletic for their victory last month, running out winners by a single goal at Claremont Road this afternoon. The Dons took an early lead through Ofori, who beat the offside trap in the 8th minute, but it was Grays who had the better of the game, with more possession over the 90 minutes. However, the full timers found a strong Hendon defence difficult to get behind and caused few problems for Dave King.

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 07 February - HFCSA Quiz next month

The Hendon Football Club Supporters Association have recently announced details of their next quiz evening at Claremont Road. The quiz will take place on Friday 12th March, with entrants to arrive at 7.30 in order to be ready for an 8 pm start. Tickets costing £2 are, as always, available from the clubshop on matchdays.

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 07 February - Grays game is on

It has been confirmed that today's league game at home to Grays Athletic will go ahead as planned despite the wet weather over the past couple of days. Kick off this afternoon is 3.00pm.

Posted at 09:45

Wednesday 04 February - Greens continue cup defence

Hendon continued their defence of the Middlesex Senior Cup with a quarter final win at Northwood this evening. The first goal came in the 36th minute when Steve Forbes was fouled just inside the penalty box by Luke Evans, and Scott Cousins stepped up to convert the spot kick. The second goal came seven minutes into the second half when a cross from Iain Duncan was flicked on by a Northwood defender, and it fell at the feet of Cousins who hit a fierce shot across the keeper into the far corner of the net. From there on the Greens were comfortable, and the performance of the back three meant that Dave King had a quiet evening in goal. The next round will see us travel to the winners of the tie between Harrow Borough and Southall being played at Earlsmead next Tuesday.

Posted at 23:00