News - February 2002

Tuesday 26 February - Game off

Tonights game against Harrow Borough has been postponed and will now be played on Tuesday, March 19th, kicking off at 7.30pm

Posted at 14:30

Tuesday 26 February - Afternoon inspection

There will be a pitch inspection early this afternoon, as soon as the result is known we will update the website.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 25 February - Davis Haule moves on

After spending 3 months on the transfer list, including a month on loan at Hemel Hempstead Town, striker/midfielder Davis Haule has left Hendon for local Ryman League Premier Division rivals Harrow Borough. Haule, who joined Hendon from Wembley in autumn 1999 after starring for the Lions in the Middlesex Senior Cup final 6 months earlier. Haule made 89 appearances and scored 18 goals for the club - an average of 1 goal every 5 games, and is likely to make a quick return to the LOOT Stadium on Tuesday when Harrow visit Claremont Road

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 23 February - Greens lose to Town

Basingstoke Town beat Hendon 2-1 at Camrose Avenue this afternoon, but it was the Greens who made most of the running. Hendon had the best of about 75 minutes, failing to take numerous half chances - Randall, Ofori, Forbes and Binns in particular. The best chance of the first half also fell to Ofori, who had his shot deflected a couple of yards wide for a corner. Hendon kept the pressure on in the second half until they won a penalty for handball, Bates striking it low to the right, but failing to get it on target. Basinstoke then scored both their goals, Sills in the 64th minute and Eaton in the 83rd winning headers from set-pieces. Hendon, to their credit, refused to lie down and kept the pressure on, and it finally told, Ricci Crace scoring his first league goal for the club in stoppage time.

Posted at 18:45

Wednesday 20 February - Further fixture update

The final two outstanding league games have now had dates set. Grays Athletic will visit The LOOT Stadium on Tuesday, 9th April, and a week later on Tuesday, 16th April, Braintree Town will make the trip from Essex.

Posted at 15:00

Wednesday 20 February - Semi-final date set

The date for the Middlesex Senior Cup Semi Final at home against Enfield Town has been set. The game will be played on Tuesday, 5th March, kicking off at 7.45pm. This will be the first time the club have played Enfield Town, who currently lie second in the Essex Senior League having been formed just last summer.

Posted at 14:45

Tuesday 19 February - Greens show Hayes the way

Hendon showed Nationwide Conference side Hayes just the kind of performance that the struggling side needs to put in to avoid relegation tonight, turning out 5-1 winners at Church Road. The victory means that the Greens will face Enfield Town in the Semi-Final of the Middlesex Senior Cup on a date to be decided. If either side looked Conference material today, it was the Dons, who dominated all 90 minutes, despite only going in 1-0 at half time. A corner was played in to the near post, but all that Hayes no. 9 Ian Hodges could do was to head the ball past his own 'keeper. Ofori doubled the lead in the 51st minute, Randall adding his contribution in the 60th. Hayes managed to pull one back with 75 on the clock, but still failed to look like coming back to equalise. Ricci Crace's first goal for Hendon in the 83rd minute shattered any hopes of a comeback, whilst Steve Forbes' 20 yard drive two minutes from time meant that Hendon continued their proud record of scoring five in every Middlesex Senior Cup tie this season.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 18 February - Reserve and youth news

It turned out to be a weekend where no Hendon side lost a game. The reserves won 3-0 at Metropolitan Police, while the Under 16's beat LNER St Georges 3-1 and the Under 14's drew 2-2 with Omonia, following on from the first team's draw against Gravesend & Northfleet on Saturday afternoo

Posted at 10:00

Saturday 16 February - Hendon make their point

Hendon earned themselves a welcome extra point today, drawing 1-1 with league leaders Gravesend & Northfleet. The first half was even, both sides squandering more than one chance, Hendon's best falling to Leon Woodruffe who shot wide, and Randall who had his attempt on goal well saved. Gravesend scored through Steve McKimm soon in the second half, the former Don having a free attempt on goal. Hendon continued to pressurise though, and the breakthrough came in the 60th minute. Randall, clean through on goal, was taken out by goalkeeper Jamie Turner who saw red for the challenge. Defender Aaron Barnett took over the Number One shirt, and his first job was to pick Jon-Barrie Bates' penalty out of the net. 10 man Gravesend had the best of remains of the game, reducing the Greens to counter-attacks, but neither side could create any further goals.

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 14 February - Greens out of cup

Hendon could consider themselves a little unlucky not to get a result at Aldershot's Recreation Ground tonight, but the 'Shots were certainly the better side and ran out 2-0 winners. There were no clear-cut chances until the 37th minute, when Mark Ward put the ball past McCann to go 1-0 up. It took until the 77nd minute for the second to come, Grant Payne heading home a cross after good build up play left him unmaked in the area. The Greens had a number of half-chances, most notably Crace, Woodruffe, Randall and Binns all failing to convert several times, and the Dons also saw about as much of the ball as the Shots. The defeat leaves Hendon with one last chance for silverware, the Middlesex Senior Cup in which they meet Hayes on Tuesday.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 12 February - Saints earn a point

St. Albans City's suspension ended with the Yellows managing to win a point from Hendon at Clarence Park, a tired team drawing 1-1 with the Greens. St. Albans will go away the happier of the two sides, if only because tonight was the end of their Ryman League suspension, but they were far from their best, having not played for around a month. In the first half, Hendon had a number of half chances, Micky Woolner failing to score two chances and Woodruffe heading just over amongst others. At the other end, it appeared that David Hook would have a quiet night with the Saints quickly tiring toward half time. However, it was City who took the lead through Simon Martin in the 65th minute. However, five minutes later, the Saints were down to ten men, Jimmy Sugrue being given his marching orders, presumably for pushing the referee. After another five minutes, the Greens equalised through Ofori after good build up play from Randall and substitute Ricci Crace.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 12 February - Midweek preview

It is a busy week for the first team this week. Tonight they travel to St Albans City for the rearranged league game that was postponed due to a frozen pitch on Boxing Day. It is St Albans first game since their suspension was lifted, and a larger than average crowd is being expected at Clarence Park. Then on Thursday evening they travel to Aldershot Town for the much postponed league cup tie that has been switched to our opponents ground. Aldershot's matchday prices will apply for this game, but the programme will be the one originally printed when the game should have been played. Both games will go ahead as planned unless there is an update to the contrary.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 11 February - Under 15's reach cup final

The Under 15's reached the league cup final yesterday beating Ealing Shamrock 4-0 in the semi final, the first Hendon team to reach a final this season. Meanwhile, in league action, the Under 16's drew 1-1 with Omonia, and the Under 13's had a big 8-2 win at South Ruislip Rangers. The reserves were not in action this weekend.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 11 February - Street joins Hemel

Rene Street has left the club and signed for Hemel Hempstead Town after losing his place in the side following a groin injury suffered earlier in the season. He made 39 appearances for the club after signing about a year ago, but was unable to win his place back following the excellent form of Mark Cooper and Steve Butler in the past couple of months. We wish Rene all the best for the future, and thank him for his efforts.

Posted at 09:45

Saturday 09 February - Greens turn over Generals

Hendon convincingly won their second Ryman League match of the year, beating Chesham United at the Meadow. The strong wind was the telling factor, the Greens having the advantage in the first half of the wind at their backs and they made good use of it. Steve Forbes scored the first mid-way through the half and Martin Randall scored his first league goal for the club to put the Dons 2-0 up before half time. Hendon worries that the Generals, 6th in the table before today, would take the initiative with the wind in the second half were unnecessary, the Buckinghamshire club failing to make a significant impression

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 07 February - St Albans game definitely on

It has been confirmed that our game at St Albans City on Tuesday evening will definitely go ahead as their suspension has been lifted today by the Ryman League. The game kicks off at 7.30pm.

Posted at 18:00

Thursday 07 February - Fixture update

Contrary to anything else that has been written, we will be travelling to St Albans City on Tuesday night assuming their suspension has been lifted. We have told the league we are willing until the morning of the game for a decision if necessary. The game will kick off at 7.30pm.

If this game is off, we will not arrange something else. On Thursday night next week we will play Aldershot Town in the much delayed League Cup tie. This game has now been switched to Aldershot, to give us a better chance of playing the game. The club apologises for the inconvenience that it causes our supporters, but hope that as many as possible will still make the trip to Hampshire.

On Tuesday 19th February, we will travel to Hayes in the Quarter Finals of the Middlesex Senior Cup, kicking off at 7.30pm, while the week after, Tuesday 26th February we will entertain Harrow Borough, kicking off at 7.30pm, while the other game that has been rearranged is the trip to Bedford Town which has been arranged for Tuesday, 26th March, kick off 7.45pm. This means that we only have our home games against Braintree Town and Grays Athletic to rearrange.

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 05 February - Forbes strike not enough

Hendon's FA Trophy run came to a later than usual end at Gravesend & Northfleet's Stonebridge Road home, going down 2-1 in the 4th Round of the competition. The top of the table side had the best of the first half, their best effort of the half being ruled offside, the Greens' having little of note. The second saw more action, Bubb having a shot fumbled by the 'keeper but unfortunately for the Dons, he managed to recover before anyone had a chance to turn the ball in. Gravesend struck the first blow in the 64th minute through Craig Wilkins, Jimmy Jackson extending the lead in the 82nd. In the 86th minute, Hendon gained some reward for their efforts, Steve Forbes curling his effort just inside the far post from around 20 yards, well out of reach of Gravesend's 'keeper. It didn't prove enough, Gravesend going through to host Stalybridge Celtic in the next round.

Posted at 23:00

Monday 04 February - Reserve and youth news

The reserve team played their first league match since November on Saturday, but lost 2-1 at Marlow, while yesterday, the Under 16's won 1-0 at Ealing Shamrock, and the Under 15's fell to a shock 2-0 defeat at Reno Rovers. Full details can be found on the relevant team pages as usual.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 04 February - FA Trophy draw

The winners of tomorrow's FA Trophy tie between ourselves and Gravesend & Northfleet will have a home tie against Mangotsfield United or Stalybridge Celtic in the Fifth Round.

Posted at 13:00

Saturday 02 February - Hendon beat City

Martin Randall was hero of the day as Hendon convincingly beat Dr. Martens League Cambridge City 2-0 at Clarence Park (St. Albans). There were few signs that the Dons had gone three weeks without a game, with the 'home' side making most of the running throughout the ninety minutes. Randall scored his first in the 37th minute, volleying a Simon Clarke cross past the flailing Matt Nurse. The Greens scored their second in the second half, Ofori beating the 'keeper, but not the far post, Randall being there to put the ball away. City had several chances to pull one back late into the game, but Hook was equal to any Cambridge efforts. The reward for the Greens will be a trip to Gravesend & Northfleet on Tuesday evening

Posted at 18:30

Saturday 02 February - Fixture news

With victory in today's FA Trophy tie, matters regarding fixtures have become somewhat clearer. Hendon will visit Gravesend & Northfleet on Tuesday (5th February), but will not play Aldershot Town on Thursday - this game has been put back a week due to Aldershot having five players in the Ryman Representative Squad and will instead go ahead on Thursday 14th February. The game with Hayes is still to be arranged, but the game at Sutton United in the league will be on Tuesday 12th March.

Posted at 18:15

Saturday 02 February - Wrong date for quiz

We have been provided with the wrong date for the Supporters Association Quiz. It will go ahead, but will not be on March 8th. Further details as soon as they are avaliable.

Posted at 18:00