News - January 2005

Monday 31 January - No cups this season for Hendon

There won't be any cup success this season for Hendon following their 4-2 defeat at Fisher Athletic. The Greens self destructed once again, this time conceding four goals in the opening 41 minutes. Charlie Taylor opened the scoring in the 18th minute, Damien Scannell made it 2-0 on the half hour mark, Steve Watts scored the third five minutes later before Taylor scored his second of the evening in the 41st minute. However, following a couple of substitutions at half time, Hendon came out all guns blazing and in the 49th minute Anthony Clark pulled a goal back with a close range header from a Eugene Ofori cross. Seven minutes later there was some real hope for the Greens when Jason O'Connor headed home a James Burgess free kick. Apart from making one excellent save, Darren Bonfield had very little to do in goal as Hendon had by far the best of the second half. Fisher keeper Andy Bell however was in fine form and made a good saves from John Frendo and Clark strikes, while Frendo had also hit the woodwork in the opening minutes of the half. So the Greens go into a 12 day break hoping that they can recharge their batteries, and put some points on the board as they bid to stay in the Premier Division.

Posted at 23:45

Monday 31 January - Under 18s back in winning ways

The under 18s returned to winning ways on Saturday afternoon with a 4-2 win at Haringey Borough. Bradley Bubb scored twice, with Narcisse Nono and Eddie Mohammed also finding the back of the net. However it was bad news yesterday as all three Sunday sides slipped to defeat. The under 16s lost 5-1 to Actual Soccer, Joe Donaldson scoring the only goal, while the under 15s lost 6-4 at Pitshanger, Matthew Blooman scored twice with Matthew Hornblow and Assam Zaid also scoring. The under 12s lost 3-2 at home to Kentish Town despite goals from Damilola Thomas and Max Nqai. However the blame was put down to a refereeing jinx. Under 12s manager John Creith said "Our referee, Steve Rogers - the club's joint-webmaster - had an excellent game, as usual, but in all three matches he's done, we've lost, so I'm not sure we want him again!!"

Posted at 14:00

Saturday 29 January - Points remain elusive for Hendon

League points remain elusive for Hendon as they suffered their fourth league defeat in succession as despite another hardworking performance, Braintree Town ran out 3-1 winners this afternoon. The Greens took an early lead through Mark Nicholls drive in the 7th minute, but were dealt a blow on the stroke of half time when Alex Revell headed the ball home at the far post. In the 55th minute James Baker scored when the Hendon defence failed to deal with a corner, and it was a similar story ten minutes later when Ellis Remy scored. Try as they might, the Greens were unable to get back into the game, and will now be hoping to pick up points in a fortnight when they play Cheshunt.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 29 January - Bonfield and Nartey sign up

There were another two new faces in the line up this afternoon for the game against Braintree. Joining from Edgware Town is goalkeeper Darren Bonfield, who has played for a number of clubs including Boreham Wood, Hemel Hempstead Town and Wealdstone, while returning to the club is striker Joe Nartey, who made 7 appearances in the 2001/02 season scoring 3 goals. Also returning to the club is Dave Hunt, who has spent the past three months on loan at Hertford Town where he has had a successful time. Meanwhile, defender Mark Burgess has moved to Hornchurch where he has rejoined former manager Tony Choules. However, it has been agreed that we will keep Mark registered on Ryman League forms, and the door remains open for him to return at any time. So far, Mark has made 97 first team appearances for the club, and we thank him for all his efforts over the past few years and hope to see him wearing the Hendon shirt again in the future.

Posted at 18:40

Thursday 27 January - Reserves pick up point

The reserves put in a much improved performance as they picked up their second point of the season last night as they drew 1-1 at Farnborough Town. The goal was scored by Gary Thirkell

Posted at 10:00

Tuesday 25 January - County cup defence ends in extra time

Hendon's defence of the Middlesex Senior Cup came to an end tonight as league leaders Yeading ran out 4-2 winners after extra time. The main difference between the sides was DJ Campbell, who was a half time substitute for Yeading. It was Yeading that took the lead in the 37th minute through Errol Telemaque, before Eugene Ofori and Mark Nicholls, from the penalty spot, scored in quick succession before the break. Campbell equalised in the 76th minute also from the penalty spot to take the game into extra time. Campbell struck again in the 101st minute and Marvin Morgan put the game out of reach with eight minutes to go. However, it was a good hardworking performance from the Greens, and the management team are reported to be much happier with the all round performance despite the game ending in defeat.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 25 January - Two more new faces

Two more new faces have been signed by manager Gary Farrell in the past few days. Joining from Northwood is midfielder Andy Sherry who made his debut tonight at Yeading, while James Courtnage is a goalkeeper who made his debut on Saturday and he includes Hampton & Richmond Borough and Aylesbury United among his former clubs

Posted at 22:55

Monday 24 January - Under 12s score nine

The under 12s had another big win yesterday as they defeated Headstone Manor B 9-0 thanks to two hat-tricks from Damilola Thomas and Dean Rosenthal. The under 15s had their game at leaders Forest United abandoned with 8 minutes to go due to a serious leg injury to a Forest United player. Hendon were 3-2 ahead at the time. The under 16s drew 3-3 with Pinner Albion, Marcel Byfield scoring twice but it was the under 18s that had the big game of the weekend. Entertaining Premier Division side Hanworth Villa in the league cup, they put in a good performance despite losing 2-1. Otis Kingsley was on the scoresheet.

Posted at 17:00

Monday 24 January - New coach appointed

Manager Gary Farrell has announced this morning that he has appointed Colin Payne in a coaching capacity. Colin is an experienced coach and his experience should be of great benefit to the club. He has had spells either coaching or managing at a number of clubs including Boreham Wood, Chertsey Town and Edgware Town. We give Colin a warm welcome to the club, and hope he enjoys his time with us.

Posted at 16:45

Saturday 22 January - Reserve team update

In their first game in seven weeks, the lack of match practice showed as the reserves slipped to a 5-1 home defeat at the hands of Harrow Borough on Wednesday evening. Gary Thirkell scored the Greens only goal. Their next game is this coming Wednesday, 26th January when they travel to Farnborough Town.

Team : Siki Kambila, Marcus Izycki, Warren Clarke, Connor Carroll, Tom Woodcraft, Dan Edwards, Chad Edwards, Adilson Lopes, Sami Lufti, Gary Thirkell, Joe Nartey. Subs used : Azdi Khaltari, Roy Santos, Junior Howells. Unused subs : Andy Sherry, Apacha Ayala

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 22 January - Greens beaten in injury time

Despite a battling hardworking performance, Hendon went down to a 2-0 defeat at Northwood, the goals coming in stoppage time of each half. The first goal came in the first minute of first half stoppage time when debutant keeper James Courtnage failed to deal with the ball and Kris McHale was able to stab the ball home from close range. The second goal came a minute into second half stoppage time when Ben Abbey beat the offside trap, and leaving Dean Coppard in his wake, he finished clinically to put the game out of reach. In both cases, the whistle to end the half went within 30 seconds. Other than the two goals, neither side really tested the keepers, Hendon's best chance falling to Ross Pickett who headed just wide. Hendon also had a clear penalty shout turned down when René Street was pushed over midway through the second half but ended the day goalless and pointless as their barren run of results continued.

Posted at 18:30

Thursday 20 January - Message from the Supporters Committee

The Supporters Association Committee are aware that some supporters are unhappy with how they have been represented by the commitee in the past few months. However, no supporter has actually approached any committee directly with any complaints and the recent offer on this messageboard to pass questions on to the club drew a response from just three supporters. Those questions have been passed on to the board as promised. We have also spoken to the board regarding the lack of information that has been forthcoming regarding the move to Copthall, and will continue to push for a statement from the board.

We are also aware that certain supporters have called for the heads of the committee. Therefore we would like to draw your attention to clause 16 in the constitution of the association which states: "The Committee may, whenever they think fit, convene a Special General Meeting. The Secretary, on a signed requisition by at least twenty-four bona fide members, must call a Special General Meeting at any time and for any purpose." It should be noted that only existing members of the Association would be able to attend the meeting. Should any supporter feel that a special meeting of the association is necessary, then they are welcome to contact the association secretary accordingly via the club office.

If supporters wish to either put their views to the committee or the club they should contact the club directly either by e-mail or in writing, or by seeing a committee member on a matchday. There is no guarantee that comments made on the messageboard will be seen by the relevant people, and the only way of ensuring they are read and dealt with, is to contact the people concerned directly.

Posted at 14:00

Tuesday 18 January - Onochie double defeats Hendon

A brace of goals from Elliot Onochie was enough to see Staines Town win 2-0 this evening at Claremont Road. Hendon had an early blow when they let Onochie in to score in the 2nd minute. However, it was noticable that the level of effort from the team was much improved than recent games, even if things didn't go to plan. Everyone worked hard, particularly in the second half, but just as the Greens felt they might nick an equaliser, Staines hit back and in the 79th minute a shot from Onochie appeared to take a deflection that wrong footed Dave King on its way into the net. Staines then held on comfortably to take the three points home.

Posted at 23:00

Tuesday 18 January - Fixture update

Our outstanding fixtures have now been arranged. Our London Senior Cup tie against Fisher Athletic will take place on Monday 31st January. Fisher currently play their home games at Dulwich Hamlet, and the game will kick off at 7.45pm. Meanwhile our outstanding league game against Slough Town will take place on Tuesday 1st March, once again at Windsor & Eton's Stag Meadow ground. Kick off will also be at 7.45pm. Meanwhile, our league game at Leyton, due to be played on Saturday 5th February has been postponed after Leyton beat Cheshunt 3-0 in their FA Trophy replay this evening. Leyton will now travel to Bishop's Stortford in the next round of the competition.

Posted at 10:00

Monday 17 January - Two more players released

Manager Gary Farrell has released two more players today. The two latest departures are midfielder Wayne Carter and defender Dave Nolan. Both players have been regulars in the line up this season and we thank them for their efforts this season and wish them good luck for the future.

Posted at 16:00

Monday 17 January - Yeading game confirmed

It has been confirmed this morning that our Middlesex Senior Cup tie at Yeading will take place on Tuesday 25th January at The Warren. Kick off will be at the slightly earlier time of 7.30pm. We look forward to seeing as many Hendon supporters there as possible as we look to keep hold of the cup for another year.

Posted at 14:00

Sunday 16 January - Under 16's pay the penalty

The under 16's saw their county cup run end at the quarter final stage as they lost 6-5 in a penalty shoot out to Hampton Hawks this morning following a 2-2 draw. The Hendon scorers were Stefan Gomes and Marcel Byfield. Meanwhile the under 18's lost 2-1 to league leaders Turkish Community yesterday, Bradley Bubb scoring the consolation. Full reports on the two games can be found on the relevant team pages. Meanwhile on Saturday, the under 12's played a friendly against the Brent district side in a game also played yesterday running out 5-2 winners with Damilola Thomas hitting two of the goals

Posted at 14:00

Sunday 16 January - Coppard becomes a Green

Supporters will have noticed that Dean Coppard has joined the club, making his debut yesterday afternoon. Coppard is a defensive player who has been away coaching in the USA so far this season. Last season he appeared for Aylesbury United, Yeading, Hemel Hempstead Town and Egham Town, while in the previous season he was with Enfield and Maidenhead United. Also joining the club is midfielder Anthony Clark, who was an unused substitute on Tuesday evening. Clark joins us from Kent club Ashford Town, and has previously been with Harrow Borough and Southend United.

Posted at 13:45

Saturday 15 January - Trophy run ends despite defeat

Hendon were knocked out of the FA Trophy by Slough Town this afternoon despite a spirited second half fightback. Slough took the lead in the 11th minute through Glen Harris, and six minutes later Ian Hodges made it two when he knocked in the rebound from his penalty that had been saved by Dave King. Slough always looked the more likely to score in the first half but the Greens held on to go in two down at half time. Finally, following the recent disappointments, the Greens really came out fighting in the second half and were rewarded within three minutes when Dave Sargent scored following an excellent pass from Danny Julienne.

Hodges restored the two goal advantage in five minutes later, but in the 70th minute came a moment of magic. Eugene Ofori rose above two defenders to flick the ball on to Ross Pickett, who with back to goal, executed the perfect overhead kick to fire the ball home. A real goal of the season contender. Unfortunately, despite the efforts from the Greens, Slough got on the scoresheet for a fourth time three minutes later when Ryan Spencer finished off a counter attack.

In the 78th minute Hendon had a penalty when Frendo was bundled over in the box. Frendo himself took the spot kick but the Slough keeper, Michael Parkin, was able to catch the ball comfortably as he dived to his left. Three minutes later Slough were reduced to ten men when Michael Murphy was dismissed for a second caution for a nasty challenge on Dave Sargent, his first came in the build up to the penalty when he was cautioned for wasting time by tying up his boot laces inside the 18 yard box. Hendon worked hard to take advantage of the extra man, and in the third minute of stoppage time Frendo found the back of the net with a sweet left foot shot. Despite another five minutes of stoppage time the Greens were unable to find the equaliser and so despite their best efforts in the second half, they slipped out of the FA Trophy 4-3.

Posted at 18:45

Saturday 15 January - What did Gary say?

Although as has been stated before, we will not make a habit of this, as a number of people who are unable to call the Greensline have asked, we briefly round up what Gary Farrell said in the interview on Thursday evening.

He began by saying that the last two games were disgraceful and unacceptable. He had hoped to get the Eastleigh performance out of the system on Tuesday but that obviously did not happen. It was very disappointing and upsetting for Gary, and the players had let the club and supporters down.

He continued by talking about both games, saying that he had never wanted a game to end so such than he did at Eastleigh, and that we were very fortunate to go in at just 2-1 down at half time. On Tuesday, the warning signs were there at half time and he never felt comfortable at 3-1 up. We had the chances to put the game out of reach, but the defensive capitulation was totally disgraceful and that some players have got to show far more effort which clearly wasn't there on Tuesday. He held his hands up to making mistakes with the substitutions.

Gary admitted that he has neglected training in recent weeks, and so that he can get back out on the training pitch to coach the team and start ironing out the problems, Mark Nicholls and Dave Nolan will be helping out more. Nicholls in particular will be looking after the man management of the players, and helping them with any problems they may have.

On the player front he confirmed that the five players released on Thursday had gone, mainly because they hadn't featured in the side very much over the past couple of months, but they go with the good wishes of the club. Danny Butler has been given leave of absence for the time being so that he can sort out some personal problems.

Posted at 11:45

Thursday 13 January - Gary Farrell interview on Greensline

David Ballheimer has recorded a lengthy interview with manager Gary Farrell this evening that is now on the Greensline. In the first part of the interview Gary apologises for the recent performances and goes into some detail as to why he thinks things have gone wrong. To hear the interview call 09066 555836 (calls cost 60p per minute and we ask you to check with the person that pays the bill before calling).

Posted at 19:45

Thursday 13 January - Five players released

Gary Farrell has released five players this morning. The players concerned are Usif Bangura, Anthony Robinson, Martin Vrhovski, Gilbert Nuako and Jazz Rose. Bangura, Robinson and Vrhovski have been unable to earn a regular place in the first team line up, while neither Nuako or Rose have made any first team appearances this season. We wish all five players good luck as they look to continue their football careers.

Posted at 19:30

Wednesday 12 January - London Senior Cup update

We now know our opponents in the London Senior Cup as Fisher Athletic won 4-0 at AFC Wimbledon yesterday evening. The Fisher goals were scored by Hamid Barr, Damien Scanwell, Charlie Taylor and Antony Ivere. The date for the game will be confirmed in due course.

Posted at 10:00

Wednesday 12 January - 150 club December draw

The winning number in the December draw of the 150 club is number 95, who wins the prize of £150.

Posted at 09:55

Tuesday 11 January - Hendon capitulate

Hendon threw away a 3-1 lead in their Bryco Cup tie against Leatherhead to eventually go down to a 6-3 defeat after extra time. Once again the defensive frailties were there for all to see, and Leatherhead took full advantage. The Greens took the lead in the 7th minute through Ross Pickett, and Mark Nicholls doubled the lead midway through the half. Marc Charles-Smith pulled a goal back in the 34th minute, but on the stroke of half time Nicholls was fouled in the penalty area and he stepped up to score his 22nd goal of the season. Both Nicholls and Pickett worked tirelessly throughout the game.

Dave Stevens pulled Leatherhead back into the game again in the 58th minute to make it 3-2, and despite creating a few chances, Hendon were unable to put the game out of reach, not having much luck in front of goal. Their punishment came in the 89th minute when Stevens struck again to take the game into extra time. Within seven minutes of the restart, the game was put out of reach as the defence went to sleep three times in quick succession to let in Wes Harrison twice, and Stevens to complete his hat-trick, making the score 6-3. Leatherhead then held on comfortably to progress through to the last 16.

Posted at 23:30

Tuesday 11 January - Farrell quit rumours unfounded

The club have confirmed this afternoon that the rumours currently doing the rounds on the internet that Gary Farrell resigned on Saturday after the defeat at Eastleigh are totally unfounded and he is well advanced with the planning ahead of tonight's Bryco Cup tie against Leatherhead as well as Saturday's very important FA Trophy tie at Slough Town. We would like to remind supporters to treat rumours that they might read or hear with a pinch of salt until they are confirmed or denied by the club.

Posted at 14:00

Monday 10 January - Bryco Cup campaign starts

The first team will be hoping to put the Eastleigh disaster firmly behind them tomorrow evening as they entertain Leatherhead in a Bryco Cup third round tie. Our opponents currently lie 9th in Division One having drawn 1-1 at Newport IOW on Saturday afternoon. The Islanders were also Leatherhead's opponents in the first round, going down to a 1-0 defeat, while it was Tooting & Mitcham United who fell to the Tanners in the second round, going down 2-0. The game tomorrow kicks off at 7.45pm and we hope to see as many supporters from both teams there as possible.

Posted at 13:00

Sunday 09 January - Youth teams back in action

Three of our youth teams were back in action this weekend following their Christmas break. It was good news for the under 12's who ran out 6-1 winners at Celtic A. Both Damilola Thomas and Max Nqai scored twice. The under 16's were unconvincing despite winning 2-0 at Actual Soccer, Marcel Byfield scoring the first goal inside ten seconds, but the under 18's slipped to a disappointing 2-0 defeat at Young Boys.

Posted at 17:00

Sunday 09 January - 150 club update

With apologies for the delay in announcing this, the 150 club winners for November 2004 are as follows. The 1st prize of £50 was won by number 114 and the 2nd prize of £25 was won by number 127. The draw for December has not been made yet. It usually takes place after the first home game after the end of the month so will probably take place on Tuesday evening.

Posted at 16:30

Saturday 08 January - Dons well and truly thrashed

Hendon put in an appalling performance this afternoon as they were thrashed 7-1 by Eastleigh. The home team took the lead in the 9th minute through Paul Sales, before Eugene Ofori, equalised in the 24th minute. Eastleigh regained the lead in the 30th minute thanks to Andy Forbes to turn round 2-1 ahead. Ryan Ashford made it three in the 49th minute, Danny Smith made it four two minutes later, before Forbes scored in the 58th, 69th and 89th minutes to complete the rout. The result is the heaviest for the club for since the 6-0 league defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge in April 1999.

Posted at 17:00

Saturday 01 January - Details on the new players

Supporters will have noticed four new young faces in the last couple of games. Last Monday, Danny Blanchett made his debut against Wealdstone. An attacking player, Danny signed from Northwood having previously been with Queens Park Rangers as a trainee. Jason O'Connor made his debut this afternoon at Dover and is a central defender who joins us from Heybridge Swifts. He was released by AFC Bournemouth in the summer and has since also played for North Greenford United and Hayes. The other two new faces are midfielder James Morrison, who made his debut as a substitute today, and Sean Hiller, who was an unused substitute. Both join us on loan from Brentford, where they are third year trainees.

Posted at 22:00

Saturday 01 January - Greens complete Dover double

Hendon completed their first double of the season with a 1-0 win at Dover Athletic. The goal came in the 23rd minute when Mark Nicholls converted a spot kick for his 20th goal of the season after he had been fouled in the area by Dover keeper Dominique Jean-Zepharin. The Greens had chances to extend the lead in the first half, the best of which fell to Eugene Ofori who shot wide. Dover took the game to Hendon after the break but lacked any real cutting edge, and Dave King was able to deal comfortably with what was sent his way. The game became scrappier as the rain and wind took hold, but the Greens were able to hold on to start 2005 with three points.

Posted at 21:00

Saturday 01 January - Dover game is on

It looks as though our game at Dover Athletic this afternoon will be going ahead as planned despite the recent off field uncertainty at our hosts. Talks are well advanced with regard to a new consortium taking over, and certainly from what is on the most recent update on their website, it appears to be all systems go for our game today. We look forward to seeing as many supporters as possible at The Hoverspeed Stadium this afternoon.

Posted at 10:00