Covid-19: Supporters are starting to be readmitted to games where possible. However, all clubs have varying procedures to be followed. Please always check ticketing details and other requirements on our news pages and also with the host club before travelling.

For further details on some of the measures we are taking, please see our coronavirus risk assessment and accompanying notes

On This Day: 12th January

Greensnet Editor
Tue 12 Jan 2021, 08:01

Our ‘On This Day’ series moves on to 12th January, a day in which traditionally, success – and goals - for Hendon sides have been something of a rarity.

Things began well enough as late as 1929 when Southall were beaten at Claremont Road 2-1 in an Athenian League fixture thanks to goals from Harry Shearcroft and Percy Moody but 6-years later a Freddie Evans strike wasn’t enough to get anything from a local Amateur Cup derby with rivals Enfield, who ended Golders Green’s interest early on with a 2-1 win.

After the 2nd World War, Wood Green Town ended the club’s interest in the Middlesex Senior Cup with a 3-2 success, Freddie Hicks’ brace proving to be futile in 1946. Another 6-years on and the famous Bishop Auckland visited Claremont Road in another Amateur Cup tie and were held to a 1-1 draw, Roy Stroud scoring the goal for the Greens to seal a replay – and a very long journey north the following week.

Another Amateur Cup tie ended all square in 1957, Ware this time the opponents as Jimmy Quail’s goal ensured the two sides would meet again in a replay at Claremont Road and in 1974, yet another Amateur Cup tie ended all square, this time goal-less, beginning a four-match marathon against Harwich and Parkeston that lasted the rest of January.

Ray O’Callaghan’s goal secured another draw in a cup-tie, this time against Barnet in the FA Trophy in 1980 and Eugene Ofori stepped off the bench 22-years later to secure a fifth draw in a row on this day, all of which came in FA Competitions, at Milton Road against Cambridge City for Dave Anderson’s 10-men after Dale Binns had controversially been dismissed on the stroke of half-time.

That run of drawn games came to a halt in 2008 when a visit to Ramsgate saw the hosts win 2-1, Brian Haule’s goal for the Greens a mere consolation whilst Jack Connors’ goal in 2013 against Kingstonian at Vale Farm sealed 3 points and the club’s first win on this day in 84 years.

Just as we ended yesterday’s look back at Imber Court, so we do today’s as, in 2019 it was Met Police who scored three times without reply making it 8 straight defeats for Jimmy Gray’s side leaving the Greens firmly in the relegation mire.

What has proven to be a date best forgotten in the annals of Hendon’s history has seen the club play 11 matches. Just two of those games have been won with five draws and four defeats. 11 goals have been scored and 15 conceded. Only twice have we managed to score more than one goal, the last occasion being way back in 1946.