Covid-19: Supporters are starting to be readmitted to games where possible. However, all clubs have varying procedures to be followed. Please always check ticketing details and other requirements on our news pages and also with the host club before travelling.

For further details on some of the measures we are taking, please see our coronavirus risk assessment and accompanying notes

Hendon Green & Gold 31 - There's Only 2 Peter Andersons

Greensnet Editor
Sun 05 Jul 2015, 18:27

This Green & Gold is about two players, whose similarities ended with wearing the green shirt with distinction, dark hair (very different styles) and the same name.

Peter Anderson, the winger, was one of the last amateur players to leave Hendon for a career in the professional game - and he made a huge success of it, at Luton Town and Sheffield United, as well as spells in the USA and Belgium. He joined Hendon as a 19-year-old from Barnet, and made his debut on the opening day of the 1968-69 season. He scored his first goal in the next game, a 1-0 win at Ilford. Tony Harding had left the club in the offseason after scoring 61 goals in 85 appearances, but Peter was not a straight replacement for him, being much more a creator of chances than an out-and-out finisher. Hendon had their worst finish in the Isthmian League in 1968-69, sixth place, but Peter made only 28 League appearances. It was a different story in cup competitions, the highlight of which was the London Senior Cup final at his old hunting ground, Underhill, where Hendon beat Dagenham 1-0.

In 1969-70, Hendon came close to another Football League scalp with a 2-2 draw against Millwall in the London Challenge Cup. Peter didn't score against the Lions, but he had done when Barnet were beaten 2-0 in the previous round. Another disappointing League campaign was more than compensated by cup success as the Greens reached the second round proper of the FA Cup. Peter scored in all but two of Hendon's seven ties, including a hat-trick in the 7-2 second round qualifying replay demolition of Rainham Town at Claremont Road. In all, Peter missed just three of 58 matches and scored 24 times.

There was talk, even at the start of the 1970-71 season, of Football League clubs trying to sign Peter. He continued to contribute to the Greens' cause, scoring the first goal in a 2-1 victory at St Albans City which took Hendon into the FA Cup first round proper, where Aldershot won 2-0 at Claremont Road. He had scored a hat-trick in the League in a 6-0 win at Clapton in that September and signed off for Hendon with a double against Staines Town in the Middlesex Senior Cup on 6 February 1971. His Luton Town debut came just seven days later.

The second Peter Anderson joined Hendon from Ilford in July 1976. A tall, thin defender, Peter looked like a centre-half, but was equally accomplished at right-back, where he spent much of his Hendon career, Alan Campbell and Peter Deadman claiming priory in the middle of the back four. That Hendon defence, left-back Gary Hand was the other member, was one of the best in non-League football, and, maybe a fourth-place finish was disappointing, but Hendon have only twice finished higher than that since 1974. Stopping goals is the prime concern for defenders, but Peter and Alan together scored 12 goals in Peter's first season at Claremont Road. They managed an astonishing 17 - neither was a penalty-taker - the following campaign.

Peter missed only four League games in 1976-77, one of which came after he helped the Greens to win the Middlesex Charity Cup. He suffered a cut to his head that bled so profusely that three separate attempts to staunch the flow of blood failed and when his white shirt became almost as red as the Uxbridge ones, the referee effectively ordered him off. It would be the first of two medals Peter won that season as he was part of the team which won the Isthmian League Cup with a 1-0 defeat of Barking at Earlsmead.

The following season was a disappointment as Hendon slipped to 13th in the Isthmian League but they did reach the first round proper of the FA Cup, losing 2-0 to Watford, and came up short in both the Middlesex Senior and Charity Cup finals. Peter won his second Middlesex Charity Cup winners medal the following season, as a substitute against Harrow Borough at Earlsmead, his last cup final for Hendon. In fact cup and League success was pretty thin on the ground in the latter part of Peter's career, and his absence in the FA Cup first round proper replay defeat away to Wycombe Wanderers was key to the Chairboys' success. Peter did play in the Greens' first ever venture onto Astroturf, the 5-1 defeat of Taunton Town at QPR's Loftus Road ground, and he scored the final goal, too. Sadly, Peter's Hendon days ended just a few weeks later when spending cuts resulted in senior players being released following the FA Trophy defeat at Witton Albion.

Peter Anderson (winger)
Joined Hendon: Summer 1968. Left Hendon: February 1971 (signed for Luton Town)
Appearances: 125 (all starts). Goals: 58
Medal won: London Senior Cup: 1968-69

Peter Anderson (defender)
Joined Hendon: Summer 1976. Left Hendon: February 19820
Appearances: 265 (257 starts, 8 as substitute). Goals: 31
Hendon Supporters Player of the Year: 1980-81
Medals won: Isthmian League Cup 1976-77, Middlesex Charity Cup 1976-77, 1978-79