Match Report

Dulwich Hamlet
S McCall
G Tomlin
Match details
Competition: Isthmian League Premier Division
Date: Monday 29 August 2016
Attendance: 335

Hendon and Dulwich Hamlet played out a third consecutive draw with the Greens the hosts, this time 1-1 at Silver Jubilee Park on Bank Holiday Monday. It was a solid point for Hendon, who dominated the first half and did well defensively in the second.

All in all, this must be considered a point gained by the Greens as they go into Saturday's FA Cup first round qualifying tie at home to Cheshunt. Hendon are 17th in the Ryman Premier League table, two points behind today’s opponents, who are 11th.

There was one change to the Hendon team which had won at Merstham on Saturday, Arthur Lee dropping out and Alfie Young coming in for his debut, where he played alongside Luke Tingey. On the bench, Dale Binns and Mahrez Bettache replaced Dave Diedhiou and Khale Da Costa.

The game certainly had a lively start. In the fifth minute, Spencer McCall blocked the run of Danny Carr and was cautioned. Two minutes later, Karl Oliyide worked his way into a shooting position, but he was denied by a kick-save from England C international Preston Edwards.

In the ninth minute, Hendon took the lead. Finbarr Robins made a darting run into the Dulwich penalty area, a run that was only stopped by the outstretched foot of Ibrahim Kargbo.

The referee immediately pointed to the penalty spot and the only complaints came from Edwards - towards his team-mates for their carelessness in allowing Robins to get into the danger area. McCall took responsibility for the spot-kick and confidently sent Edwards the wrong way.

It was nearly 2-0 a couple of minutes later when a burst down the right by Chris Seeby ended with a cross which Kezie Ibe, stretching, could not divert under the crossbar from close range.

Dulwich showed flashes of danger when they made breaks, but they were rare events and Seeby, Mayo Balogun, Young and Tingey were not unduly troubled, aided by an assured performance from Kevin Maclaren in front of them. Behind them, Brendan Norris winded himself gathering a corner, but he had nothing difficult to do.

McCall was busy creating opportunities for Oliyide, Ibe and Niko Muir to run towards the Dulwich goal, and, in the 26th minute, he forced Edwards into a good save. Hendon were secure and comfortable, but there was a feeling that they needed at least one more goal to take into the second half, when the slope favoured Hamlet.

It didn't come and, in the second half, it was Dulwich who were in control. They made a change at half-time, Nyren Clunis being replaced by former Hendon man Roman Michael-Percil and he made a huge difference, his pace causing Balogun loads of problems.

In the 58th minute, Kargbo nearly atoned for his error with the penalty, by firing a shot which required - and received - an excellent save from Norris. It delayed the equaliser for all of two minutes.

Balogun tried to intercept a ball towards Michael-Percil, but he didn't find touch, or a team-mate. Sanchez Ming seized on the loose ball and immediately played in Michael-Percil, who burst clean away.

He cut inside the penalty area and laid the ball into the path of Gavin Tomlin, who made no mistake. He swept the ball into the net at the near post from 10 yards.

Dulwich, strangely, didn't up their tempo having got back into the match, but were content to feed Michael-Percil and wait for what they hoped would be the inevitable second goal. It never came, though the substitute did force an excellent save from Norris after another mazy run.

A shot, from the edge of the penalty area, took a huge deflection and was dropping towards the crossbar. Norris back-tracked quickly and tipped the ball over the bar at the expense of a corner. Two more long-range shots required saves, but Norris's positioning was perfectly place to make the catches look routine.

In the 71st minute, Hendon were awarded a free-kick outside the penalty area. Robins curled the ball over the wall, but Edwards had only to leap up to stop the ball and he gathered it, unchallenged, after knocking it down at his feet.

A raft of changes followed in the next few minutes as Hendon replaced Ibe, Oliyide (a double switch) and Robins with Binns, Bettache and Andre Da Costa, respectively. Dulwich sent on Ashley Carew for Kenny Beaney, strengthening Hamlet's attacking options.

Norris was called into action a couple of times, but there was very little frantic goalmouth action, the Hendon defence dealing well with almost everything thrown at it. Going forward, Hendon were looking counter-attacks, but the final ball was just lacking.

With six minutes to go, Ming was merciless as he crashed into McCall and received a yellow card. His foot was, in the referee's eyes high and the challenge dangerous.

In the final couple of minutes, however, Hendon nearly sneaked a winner. A ball was played in from the left side and Mark Weatherstone tried to deal with the danger. He got his head to the ball but it was arrowing into the bottom corner, until Edwards made a superb low save to keep it out.

Report by David Ballheimer : Not to be reproduced without prior permission


This match was sponsored by Richman & Co Accountants
The matchballs were sponsored by Peter Dean
The match programme was sponsored by Jono's Pub - Kingsbury (The McCormack Family)


Home Squad
Shirt Player Info
1 Brendan Norris  
2 Chris Seeby  
3 Mayowa Balogun  
4 Alfie Young  
5 Luke Tingey  
6 Kevin Maclaren  
7 Finbarr Robins  
8 Spencer McCall  
9 Kezie Ibe  
10 Karl Oliyide  
11 Niko Muir  
12 Omar Vassell  
14 Dale Binns for 9 , 72
15 Mahrez Bettache for 10 , 72
16 Keagan Cole  
17 Andre Da Costa for 7 , 83

Dulwich Hamlet

Away Squad
Shirt Player Info
1 Preston Edwards  
2 Sanchez Ming  
3 Nathan Green  
4 Ibrahim Kargbo  
5 Mark Weatherstone  
6 Michael Chambers  
7 Nyren Clunis  
8 Kenny Beaney  
9 Danny Carr  
10 Gavin Tomlin  
11 Kadell Daniel  
12 Roman Michael-Percil for 7 , 46
14 Sandy Cunningham  
15 Matt Drage  
16 Ashley Carew for 8 , 73
17 Ayomide Adeboyego