Match Report

Unknown 2
S McCall, K Oliyide 2, M Bettache, K Ibe
Match details
Competition: Friendly
Date: Saturday 06 August 2016
Attendance: Unknown

Hendon successfully came through their latest match at Whyteleafe, controlling the match for long periods, and eventually winning 5-2. Whyteleafe chose to wear an all-white kit rather than their usual green, while Hendon wore red shirts and black shorts. Gary McCann opted for a 3-5-2 formation again, with Luke Tingey and Casey Maclaren flanking Dave Diedhiou.

Early defensive frailties cost the Leafe dearly, and they found themselves two goals down before 12 minutes had elapsed. In the third minute Mayo Balogun made a good run down the left wing and crossed towards Niko Muir. The cross was partially cleared as far as Spencer McCall, standing on the edge of the D, and he drove the ball into the far corner past the static Whyteleafe keeper, who may have been unsighted by the number of defenders in front of him.

Eight minutes later Muir chased a pass down the inside-left channel, with a couple of defenders in attendance. The defenders won the ball, but failed to clear adequately, allowing Muir to gain possession and pass the ball across the box to an unmarked Karl Oliyide, who steadied himself before firing past the exposed keeper.

After this Whyteleafe began to come more into the game, showing some good passing ability but not making too many demands on Hendon’s defence, which coped well, keeping the potentially dangerous Roscoe DSane quiet.

Shortly before half-time Mahrez Bettache broke into the box, beat a man, and was sent sprawling as he was about to shoot. Bettache took the penalty himself and netted, despite the keeper getting his hand to the ball.

Hendon appeared to take their foot off the gas a little in the second half, being three goals to the good, while Whyteleafe exerted more pressure on the Hendon defence without unduly troubling them. After an hour, Hendon made 4 substitutions, with Arthur Lee, Finbarr Robins, Keagan Cole, and Kezie Ibe replacing Bettache, McCall, Sam Murphy, and Muir respectively. Lee went into the back three with Diedhiou moving into midfield.

After 70 minutes Hendon scored their fourth. A quick incisive move involving several players ended with Oliyide rounding the keeper and scoring at the second attempt despite the efforts of several defenders on the line. Immediately after the restart, and while Hendon were still reorganising after a second batch of 4 substitutions – Brendon Norris would remain on the bench – DSane reduced the arrears, beating a couple of defenders in the box and rifling the ball home.

For the next quarter of an hour Whyteleafe had their best spell of the match, threatening several times to add to their goal, and causing some discomfort in Hendon's defence. The pressure culminated in Whyteleafe's second goal with two minutes of normal time to go, when Ramazani lost his marker at a corner and thumped a header home.

On the stroke of normal time, however, Ibe conjured a fifth goal out of nothing. Andre Da Costa played the ball down the right wing, deep towards the corner flag. Ibe chased the ball down with a defender in attendance. Ibe outmuscled the defender by the corner flag, beat another couple of men, and drove the ball home from a very narrow angle.

Report by our man at the game : Not to be reproduced without prior permission


Squad unknown


Away Squad
Shirt Player Info
1 Berkley Laurencin  
2 Luke Tingey  
3 Casey Maclaren  
4 Spencer McCall  
5 Dave Diedhiou  
6 Mahrez Bettache  
7 Chris Seeby  
8 Sam Murphy  
9 Niko Muir  
10 Karl Oliyide  
11 Mayowa Balogun  
12 Arthur Lee for 6 , 61
13 Khale Da Costa for 7 , 71
14 Finbarr Robins for 4 , 61
15 Keagan Cole for 8 , 61
16 Brendan Norris  
17 Andre Da Costa for 11 , 71
18 Aaron Morgan for 10 , 71
20 Omar Vassell for 3 , 71
21 Kezie Ibe for 9 , 61